World class sport

McG194
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 10:32am
I know the latest bitch is about the TV coverage, but I question the sponsorship choice. The first thing that jumped out at me was the presenting sponsor was a local dealer. That is not how you present yourself as a world class sport. I wonder if it is all up to the promotors or if they need to get approval from MX Sports as to who can be a presenting sponsor. This is a time where I would side with MX Sports being a little more firm and make the promotors get a national or large regional sponsor to get on the logo. I would take less money to be a "Yeti Coolers Hangtown National" or something just to have the prestige.

No hate directed towards Carson City Motorsports it's a good get on their part.

|
6/6/2022 12:43pm
I,m sure they had some cars there or signage not a bad idea. I,m surprised that Mx never went after a mega carrier trucking co. Schneider gave a local college 20 mil. These co.s r worth ovr a billion. ALRIGHT race fans get ready for the fastest super truckers to fly across the American landscape. Hv CDL test at the track along with rd test in the field. Haha
Xeno
6/6/2022 12:47pm
That same sponsor got Ricky Johnson to do a voice-over ad for their dealership. You can't get much more "core" moto than Ricky Johnson- unless you find the dude who invented the knobby tire LOL.
McG194
6/6/2022 12:56pm
Xeno wrote:
That same sponsor got Ricky Johnson to do a voice-over ad for their dealership. You can't get much more "core" moto than Ricky Johnson- unless you...
That same sponsor got Ricky Johnson to do a voice-over ad for their dealership. You can't get much more "core" moto than Ricky Johnson- unless you find the dude who invented the knobby tire LOL.
It's not about being core, it's about portraying yourself as a world class sport.
DonM
6/6/2022 1:01pm
Xeno wrote:
That same sponsor got Ricky Johnson to do a voice-over ad for their dealership. You can't get much more "core" moto than Ricky Johnson- unless you...
McG194 wrote:
It's not about being core, it's about portraying yourself as a world class sport.
Obviously you haven't seen some of the NASCAR presenting sponsors....

The Shop

zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
6/6/2022 1:07pm
5 of the rounds don't even show a sponsor. I assume they will take what they can get
USA
Fantasy
428th
6/6/2022 1:12pm
I wonder what the OP will do when they find out that Star Yamaha is named that because of a dealership in Mississippi.

I really hope they don't find out about Star providing engines for GP teams! How would these Yamaha teams ever recover if the fans knew their main backing came from a car dealership.
wreckitrandy
6/6/2022 1:18pm
The way the economy is in our country right now, be grateful that there are races, period.
DonM
6/6/2022 1:19pm
I can't think of a better place for a large regional dealership to sponsor than a race in their own back yard...it has obviously worked because it has us talking about it on vital....
McG194
6/6/2022 1:43pm
The point I'm trying to make and obviously not communicating well enough is if I'm random dude (Who they are trying to capture to grow the sport) and I see the race is sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds I'm not going to take it as serious as if it was the "Chevy Trucks Hangtown National." Carson City Motorsports may be an awesome dealer but they are advertising to only the guys who are already "core."

Are we trying to level up or are we good talking amongst ourselves? Truthfully I have no problem if we are isolationists and just us cool kids ride dirtbikes but stop saying we want to grow the sport.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/6/2022 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2022 1:51pm
McG194 wrote:
Sorry but in the USA the MX nationals are not a world class sport, they are a niche sport at best and unfortunately going in the wrong direction. Sad
USA
Fantasy
428th
6/6/2022 2:12pm
McG194 wrote:
The point I'm trying to make and obviously not communicating well enough is if I'm random dude (Who they are trying to capture to grow the...
The point I'm trying to make and obviously not communicating well enough is if I'm random dude (Who they are trying to capture to grow the sport) and I see the race is sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds I'm not going to take it as serious as if it was the "Chevy Trucks Hangtown National." Carson City Motorsports may be an awesome dealer but they are advertising to only the guys who are already "core."

Are we trying to level up or are we good talking amongst ourselves? Truthfully I have no problem if we are isolationists and just us cool kids ride dirtbikes but stop saying we want to grow the sport.
We're good talking amongst ourselves. Have you talked to any non-motoheads recently? I'd much rather be in here talking to you or J Sloan, and that's the truth
Meister
6/6/2022 2:20pm
This isn't a world class sport. It never will be at this rate either. Sure, there's a large core group of enthusiasts, but half the time we look like over enthusiastic umpires at a girl's coach pitch softball game. Nevermind we can't even get solid tv coverage.
KONG
6/6/2022 2:23pm
McG194 wrote:
You got too much time on your hands.
McG194
6/6/2022 2:33pm
McG194 wrote:
The point I'm trying to make and obviously not communicating well enough is if I'm random dude (Who they are trying to capture to grow the...

USA wrote:
We're good talking amongst ourselves. Have you talked to any non-motoheads recently? I'd much rather be in here talking to you or J Sloan, and that's...
We're good talking amongst ourselves. Have you talked to any non-motoheads recently? I'd much rather be in here talking to you or J Sloan, and that's the truth
Non-motoheads... those people are weird.
McG194
6/6/2022 2:35pm
McG194 wrote:
KONG wrote:
You got too much time on your hands.
Not too much time on my hands, just sharing my shower thoughts. Just struck me as slightly odd.
8tensolutions
6/6/2022 2:41pm
McG194 wrote:

I think we would all like to see Chevrolet as the sponsor and I am sure MX Sports would like to add Nike and Coke too....Maybe call them and set that up?
6/6/2022 3:08pm
Xeno wrote:
McG194 wrote:
DonM wrote:
Obviously you haven't seen some of the NASCAR presenting sponsors....
Haha yeah nascar will take a buck from anyone or anything. Bug spray to a tanning salon.
DonM
6/6/2022 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2022 3:37pm
McG194 wrote:

Obviously you don’t have a lot of marketing experience….isn’t the idea behind marketing is finding the best way to reach your core customer is to use a marketing tool or medium to do that…that is exactly what Carson City Motorsports did…now you suggest that the promoter take less money to get a company, Yeti is your example, to Market to our most core enthusiast…Maybe our core enthusiast for one race in Northern California is not the best bang for their buck…I also think you have a misunderstanding what a presenting sponsor is for…it’s an opportunity for the local promoter, DDMC not the AMA or MXSports, to sell a marketing spot to someone locally, that is why each race has it’s own presenting sponsor…now we do have a pretty strong series sponsor in Monster and that message is consistent at each National….Monster Energy Motocross National presented by Carson City Motorsports….
APLMAN99
6/6/2022 3:40pm
McG194 wrote:

DonM wrote:
Obviously you don’t have a lot of marketing experience….isn’t the idea behind marketing is finding the best way to reach your core customer is to use...
Obviously you don’t have a lot of marketing experience….isn’t the idea behind marketing is finding the best way to reach your core customer is to use a marketing tool or medium to do that…that is exactly what Carson City Motorsports did…now you suggest that the promoter take less money to get a company, Yeti is your example, to Market to our most core enthusiast…Maybe our core enthusiast for one race in Northern California is not the best bang for their buck…I also think you have a misunderstanding what a presenting sponsor is for…it’s an opportunity for the local promoter, DDMC not the AMA or MXSports, to sell a marketing spot to someone locally, that is why each race has it’s own presenting sponsor…now we do have a pretty strong series sponsor in Monster and that message is consistent at each National….Monster Energy Motocross National presented by Carson City Motorsports….
Monster is the amateur championship sponsor, Lucas Oil is the pro championship sponsor.....

DonM
6/6/2022 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2022 4:12pm
McG194 wrote:

DonM wrote:
Obviously you don’t have a lot of marketing experience….isn’t the idea behind marketing is finding the best way to reach your core customer is to use...
APLMAN99 wrote:
Monster is the amateur championship sponsor, Lucas Oil is the pro championship sponsor..... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/06/553931/s1200_lopm.jpg[/img]
Monster is the amateur championship sponsor, Lucas Oil is the pro championship sponsor.....

Monster is also a sponsor of the outdoor nationals this year…Lucas Oils is the title sponsor while Monster is a series sponsor
Leave Us To
6/6/2022 5:14pm
McG194 wrote:
I know the latest bitch is about the TV coverage, but I question the sponsorship choice. The first thing that jumped out at me was the...
I know the latest bitch is about the TV coverage, but I question the sponsorship choice. The first thing that jumped out at me was the presenting sponsor was a local dealer. That is not how you present yourself as a world class sport. I wonder if it is all up to the promotors or if they need to get approval from MX Sports as to who can be a presenting sponsor. This is a time where I would side with MX Sports being a little more firm and make the promotors get a national or large regional sponsor to get on the logo. I would take less money to be a "Yeti Coolers Hangtown National" or something just to have the prestige.

First thing that jumped out at me was how nice of you to take a break from World SX promotion to focus on the Nationals.
APLMAN99
6/6/2022 5:22pm
DonM wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Monster is the amateur championship sponsor, Lucas Oil is the pro championship sponsor..... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/06/553931/s1200_lopm.jpg[/img]

DonM wrote:
Monster is also a sponsor of the outdoor nationals this year…Lucas Oils is the title sponsor while Monster is a series sponsor
Yes, which is why it would not be labeled as “Monster Energy Motocross National presented by Carson City Motorsports”…..

Monster isn’t even listed on the graphics for the series.
wide open wally
Fantasy
3824th
6/6/2022 5:26pm
What do you want MX Sports to do? Take a gun and tell a Fortune 500 company to pay them to be a sponsor? Lol. The same people who had Chevy trucks sponsor are the same people who landed the Carson City sponsor, they know a thing or two. Let them do their job.
DonM
6/6/2022 6:23pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

DonM wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yes, which is why it would not be labeled as “Monster Energy Motocross National presented by Carson City Motorsports”….. Monster isn’t even listed on the graphics...
Yes, which is why it would not be labeled as “Monster Energy Motocross National presented by Carson City Motorsports”…..

Monster isn’t even listed on the graphics for the series.
It doesn’t change the point I was making….
Melicar
6/6/2022 6:34pm
I think you have to take into consideration that these outdoor promoters need to take money from any and all potential race sponsors to offset the astronomical costs they have to pay to run a motocross national. If they have to solicit sponsorship from Guadalupe's discount window cleaning and bikini wax to turn a profit then that's what they'll do.
McG194
6/6/2022 6:54pm
McG194 wrote:

DonM wrote:
It sounds like I have a bit more marketing experience than you do. I'm suggesting selling the outdoor nationals as a world class sport and broaden the audience while you are talking about "core." The core guy is always going to be there. I will go to any race close to me and travel to one a year. Carson City Motorsports did an awesome job because they most likely got way more bang for the buck advertising wise than they could possibly hope for in other avenues of advertising. From looking at their website and Google maps it's not like they are some superstore, just a generic dealer that sells Austrian and Chinese bikes along with ATV's UTV's etc. The promotor made themselves look small potatoes by having a local mom and pop bike shop as a major sponsor.

If you take every single buck that is thrown at you, you run the risk of devaluing your property.
McG194
6/6/2022 6:57pm
McG194 wrote:
I know the latest bitch is about the TV coverage, but I question the sponsorship choice. The first thing that jumped out at me was the...

First thing that jumped out at me was how nice of you to take a break from World SX promotion to focus on the Nationals.
I haven't posted anything about World SX since the outdoor season started but thanks for being so concerned about my topics. You seem to be following closely but you must have missed it, I also posted today how bad I missed on a subject.
DonM
6/6/2022 7:01pm
McG194 wrote:

DonM wrote:
McG194 wrote:
It sounds like I have a bit more marketing experience than you do. I'm suggesting selling the outdoor nationals as a world class sport and broaden...
It sounds like I have a bit more marketing experience than you do. I'm suggesting selling the outdoor nationals as a world class sport and broaden the audience while you are talking about "core." The core guy is always going to be there. I will go to any race close to me and travel to one a year. Carson City Motorsports did an awesome job because they most likely got way more bang for the buck advertising wise than they could possibly hope for in other avenues of advertising. From looking at their website and Google maps it's not like they are some superstore, just a generic dealer that sells Austrian and Chinese bikes along with ATV's UTV's etc. The promotor made themselves look small potatoes by having a local mom and pop bike shop as a major sponsor.

If you take every single buck that is thrown at you, you run the risk of devaluing your property.
Oh FFS…you have no clue…marketing is all about reach and demographics and MX doesn’t have the reach or the demographics to get the sponsors you think we deserve…even if its at a discounted rate…they are not interested even if it is free!
McG194
6/6/2022 7:03pm
What do you want MX Sports to do? Take a gun and tell a Fortune 500 company to pay them to be a sponsor? Lol. The...
What do you want MX Sports to do? Take a gun and tell a Fortune 500 company to pay them to be a sponsor? Lol. The same people who had Chevy trucks sponsor are the same people who landed the Carson City sponsor, they know a thing or two. Let them do their job.
It's not MX Sports that gets the presenting sponsor for a race.

If you think just a little bit there are many ways to make it look more prestigious. Yeah, it may be a bit much to get Chevy Trucks to sponsor but why not hit up the local or regional Chevy Truck dealer group. The region has an advertising budget for local advertising. You hit an easier to approach group that wants to advertise locally but you get the appearance that it is Chevy Trucks that is advertising with you. You can problem solve or you can throw your hands in the air and give up like you suggest.
wide open wally
Fantasy
3824th
6/6/2022 7:47pm
What do you want MX Sports to do? Take a gun and tell a Fortune 500 company to pay them to be a sponsor? Lol. The...
McG194 wrote:
It's not MX Sports that gets the presenting sponsor for a race. If you think just a little bit there are many ways to make it...
It's not MX Sports that gets the presenting sponsor for a race.

If you think just a little bit there are many ways to make it look more prestigious. Yeah, it may be a bit much to get Chevy Trucks to sponsor but why not hit up the local or regional Chevy Truck dealer group. The region has an advertising budget for local advertising. You hit an easier to approach group that wants to advertise locally but you get the appearance that it is Chevy Trucks that is advertising with you. You can problem solve or you can throw your hands in the air and give up like you suggest.
Where did I suggest giving up lol. I’m saying the people who work on these deals are not vital forum members with million dollar ideas but maybe people who are very knowledgeable and actually try to do the best for their company. And yeah that sounds like a good idea, do you think maybe they have tried that route before? Probably.

Post a reply to: World class sport

The Latest