World championship?

Excaliburbmx
9/10/2019 10:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2019 7:09pm
What really makes it a world championship?

Watching some YouTube and during sx the said a rider won a fim world championship. So if you align with fim is that the only criteria?

What makes the mxgp a world championship the fact they are with the fim or they face in a few countries around Europe?

|
RonSkj
Fantasy
141st
9/10/2019 10:26pm
It's kind of like the world series in baseball.
jemcee
9/10/2019 11:28pm
RonSkj wrote:
What confuses me is how a team that wins the National Football League are named the World champions

The Shop

jemcee
9/10/2019 11:32pm
Well the way I see it the SX is called a world championship cause it's got the fastest SX riders in the world so it's only fitting that the GPs are called a world championship
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
9/10/2019 11:38pm
What really makes it a world championship? Watching some YouTube and during sx the said a rider won a fim world championship. So if you align...

Watching some YouTube and during sx the said a rider won a fim world championship. So if you align with fim is that the only criteria?

What makes the mxgp a world championship the fact they are with the fim or they face in a few countries around Europe?

its a world title its its sanctioned by the world sporting body, in motorcycling thats the FIM, or if someone just makes up a title and calls it that, IE the world vets at Glen Helen,

Excaliburbmx
9/10/2019 11:52pm
jemcee wrote:
Well the way I see it the SX is called a world championship cause it's got the fastest SX riders in the world so it's only...
Well the way I see it the SX is called a world championship cause it's got the fastest SX riders in the world so it's only fitting that the GPs are called a world championship
Not really
jemcee
9/11/2019 12:20am
jemcee wrote:
Well the way I see it the SX is called a world championship cause it's got the fastest SX riders in the world so it's only...
Not really
Not really what? The way I see it?

Gee I dunno maybe it's called a world championship cause it visits 15 different countries in 18 rounds and has riders from all around the world competing in it..

Just because you don't see them as different countries doesn't mean they aren't
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4250th
9/11/2019 12:28am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2019 12:29am
jemcee wrote:
Not really what? The way I see it? Gee I dunno maybe it's called a world championship cause it visits 15 different countries in 18 rounds...

Gee I dunno maybe it's called a world championship cause it visits 15 different countries in 18 rounds and has riders from all around the world competing in it..

Not really the reason. The main reason why you can call it "World Championship" is that that those races are beeing run under world moto federation -> FIM. Or you can be utter twat and call it World Championship while you run it on your own and give 0 foockeroonies about others.

The level of competition or location/s has nothing to do with it. That is simply subjective.
jemcee
9/11/2019 12:33am
jemcee wrote:
Not really what? The way I see it? Gee I dunno maybe it's called a world championship cause it visits 15 different countries in 18 rounds...

Not really the reason. The main reason why you can call it "World Championship" is that that those races are beeing run under world moto federation...
Not really the reason. The main reason why you can call it "World Championship" is that that those races are beeing run under world moto federation -> FIM. Or you can be utter twat and call it World Championship while you run it on your own and give 0 foockeroonies about others.

The level of competition or location/s has nothing to do with it. That is simply subjective.
I get that, but I was more responding to OP trying to discredit it with his last little 'race in a few countries around Europe' stab
Barrett57
9/11/2019 1:30am
Your hilariously American grasp of geography doesn't make it any less of a world championship.

Excaliburbmx
9/11/2019 1:48am
Barrett57 wrote:
Your hilariously American grasp of geography doesn't make it any less of a world championship.

I wasn’t trying to discredit it or belittle it. Other than four or five races they are within an area the size of the USA.
Every thread does not have to be a this vs that or a shit fest.
Look at it like this if the ama series had one race in Canada one in Mexico and one over the ocean anywhere would it be less of a world championship?

If you took the four or five mxgp races with less rider turnout and had one race in Canada one in Mexico and two in the USA would it make it a greater world championship?
Barrett57
9/11/2019 2:16am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2019 2:17am
The difference is that the USA is one country, Europe isn't.

Pretty much every country in Europe has its own language, food, history, culture, government (*waits for some throbber to spout on about the EU*). Just because they are relatively close together doesn't make them the same place.

Excaliburbmx
9/11/2019 2:31am
Barrett57 wrote:
The difference is that the USA is one country, Europe isn't. Pretty much every country in Europe has its own language, food, history, culture, government (*waits...

Pretty much every country in Europe has its own language, food, history, culture, government (*waits for some throbber to spout on about the EU*). Just because they are relatively close together doesn't make them the same place.

The sx being called a world championship since it has riders from several countries and sanctioned by the fim do you feel it’s a world title??
kb228
9/11/2019 3:30am
Sx is a world championship because the best from all over the world race it.

Same with GPs.
9/11/2019 4:23am
Barrett57 wrote:

One guy on here referred to Europe as a country the other day
9/11/2019 4:25am
What really makes it a world championship? Watching some YouTube and during sx the said a rider won a fim world championship. So if you align...

Your hate for Europe, the GP’s & the riders is funny man
Excaliburbmx
9/11/2019 7:27am

presto170 wrote:
Your hate for Europe, the GP’s & the riders is funny man
Don’t hate anything. The riders are same as here a couple phenomenal riders some very fast top guys then filler same as the ama.
Europe is amazing with all the culture and diversity along with awesome history and landscape.
How could you hate the gps? Most of the tracks are great just wished we had better coverage of the races here.
Ray_MXS
9/11/2019 7:42am
presto170 wrote:
One guy on here referred to Europe as a country the other day
This happens way too often around here
9/11/2019 10:57am
Barrett57 wrote:

Is this similar to the European grasp of geography that makes any track in America a “home track” to Americans no matter of location?
DonM
9/11/2019 11:08am
RonSkj wrote:
jemcee wrote:
What confuses me is how a team that wins the National Football League are named the World champions
Sorry but they are called Super Bowl Champions....
9/11/2019 11:20am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2019 11:24am
Don’t hate anything. The riders are same as here a couple phenomenal riders some very fast top guys then filler same as the ama. Europe is...
Don’t hate anything. The riders are same as here a couple phenomenal riders some very fast top guys then filler same as the ama.
Europe is amazing with all the culture and diversity along with awesome history and landscape.
How could you hate the gps? Most of the tracks are great just wished we had better coverage of the races here.
better coverage ? take the early bird season ticket and youre in for about 90 bucks
great coverage , great commentators ..whole lot of racing on saturday and sunday ...live or on demand

thats like 10 cent a moto Wink

doesnt get much better
Barrett57
9/11/2019 11:35am
Is this similar to the European grasp of geography that makes any track in America a “home track” to Americans no matter of location?
I agree, your right. Unless the track utilizes Justin Barcias garden and uses his hotub as a water jump it must be classed as being run abroad.
Shawn142
9/11/2019 2:18pm
Barrett57 wrote:
The difference is that the USA is one country, Europe isn't. Pretty much every country in Europe has its own language, food, history, culture, government (*waits...

The sx being called a world championship since it has riders from several countries and sanctioned by the fim do you feel it’s a world title??
This whole thing goes back to the sanctioning body issues Supercross had in the early 2000s. There was a point where the owners of Supercross and the AMA nearly split, allowing the FIM to step in and be a sanctioning body. I'm sure someone knows the details better than I, but since the FIM got a claw into the series way back then they've maintained it and kept the World Championship part of it alive. Back when the merger first happened there were actually 2 series in one, with a couple overseas races happening before the AMA calendar started. That's how Heath Voss and James Stewart have FIM World Championships. Now we gave up on all that but still keep the World Championship stuff because of the FIM sanctioning the 450 class.

The Baseball World Series reference is not a good or accurate one either. It has nothing to do with Americans being overly arrogant. It's because the series was sponsored and presented by the New York World newspaper and labelled the "World's Series". Even after the partnership dissolved the name stuck.
RG1
9/11/2019 2:28pm
Barrett57 wrote:
I agree, your right. Unless the track utilizes Justin Barcias garden and uses his hotub as a water jump it must be classed as being run...
I agree, your right. Unless the track utilizes Justin Barcias garden and uses his hotub as a water jump it must be classed as being run abroad.
Laughing gold
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
9/11/2019 3:07pm
Barrett57 wrote:
I agree, your right. Unless the track utilizes Justin Barcias garden and uses his hotub as a water jump it must be classed as being run...
Dumb, you think every National is a “home” track to all Americans?
Dropbear
9/11/2019 3:40pm
You do know that other countries run National championships too?
ATKpilot99
9/11/2019 3:58pm
Barrett57 wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
I remember Eli's complete dismantling of the field at Glen Helen a few years ago was kind of shrugged off for that reason. There will always be a double standard on both sides.
Barrett57
9/11/2019 4:01pm
Park Boys wrote:
That's not what is said at all and my comment bears no relevance to that statement. I have failed to see anyone say that every national is a home track for every American, and that any track in America is a home track for all Americans.

The only event I can see the comment being relevant to is Redbud mxdn, which is why my comment mentions Barcia.

hogkiller
9/11/2019 4:36pm

"Oh, wait!" my Bad Nevermind

Post a reply to: World championship?

The Latest