WoW! to this video..

endoh935
6/22/2016 11:50am
http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/member/MX-Nation-Episode-2-Fathers-and-So…

theirs been a few like this before for different riders..but certainly puts things in perspective for AC.
|
Snapper
6/22/2016 12:05pm
AC's Dad is taking the reigns from Tony Alessi isn't he?

AC smokes his competition in his younger years and his dad tells him it's not good enough? Sound advice that was!

JVT357
Fantasy
3124th
6/22/2016 12:12pm
And thats why Forkner is going to have a better career than AC. His father's love and support. "Hey good job man" is what is dad tells him. Instead of telling him how terrible he is like Ac's father. Positive reinforcement will always win over negative reinforcement
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
6/22/2016 12:21pm
JVT357 wrote:
And thats why Forkner is going to have a better career than AC. His father's love and support. "Hey good job man" is what is dad...
And thats why Forkner is going to have a better career than AC. His father's love and support. "Hey good job man" is what is dad tells him. Instead of telling him how terrible he is like Ac's father. Positive reinforcement will always win over negative reinforcement
I was thinking the same thing, it's clear as day which approach is better.
gt80rider
6/22/2016 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2016 12:42pm
Some people produce better results by being patted on the back, others, like myself, from the opposite.... as long as the coaching style matches the rider peak results will be had... get it wrong, expect piss poor results and hatred...

The Shop

pamoto
6/22/2016 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2016 1:13pm
I could watch hours of this stuff. Kinda funny at Mt. Morris Austin's dad was telling the mechanic how to pressure wash the bike and walked over to make sure he did it right. After the first moto when AC got to the pits he looked like a broken man. I know he crashed but there was something going on that was just weird or troubling to see. Hard to explain unless you saw it. A lot of pressure on him I'm sure.
dboivin
6/22/2016 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2016 1:16pm
kudos to forkners dad. that's the way it should be, great attitude breeds confidence. seen the "bad dads" so many times when i was a kid coming up thru the am's.

its like some parents don't know how to lose and have too much expectation when they turn pro.
Lunch_Box
6/22/2016 1:21pm
Every father/son relationship is different. Some people need that pat on the back even if they have a poor performance to help boost their confidence. Other people just need to be told how it is with no sugar coating.
dirtnapper
6/22/2016 9:08pm
Adams dad is a dick.
I could never be like that to my kid.
Some of you will bag on me for this. That's fine, I just think thats a terrible approach.
race250r
6/22/2016 11:49pm
The episode was hard to watch for me. It sure seems that AC's father is too involved but we are only seeing a narrow aspect of their lives/interactions. So much pressure on these lads, hard to know which approach will pan out. By the time the cracks start to show its too late for someone like AC's father to change his approach as it worked in the past.

Watching the struggle between AC and his father is difficult.
6/23/2016 2:00am
What shocked me most is their approach to make him angry on the gate so he rides better? Maybe that's the reason he crashes so often. Not thinking straight.
fullfloater
Fantasy
14th
6/23/2016 2:21am
That would probably be very enjoyable to watch if AC was a 2-time champ. Given his struggles, it's tough to watch. He rode well in the beginning when he was with RV and Roczen. Needs Dungey or Roczen or someone, not his Pop.
JB 19
6/23/2016 3:33am
Adams dad made the comment, "he says this is what he wants." I think many times kids will tell parents what the parents want to hear to get their approval. From that small sampling it's tough to know what's been going on, but for whatever reason Adam seems to be a broken man.

His mom shaking her head in disgust at her phone....assuming she is looking at lap times.....Dizzy

I feel bad for Adam. Must be fun being told that you suck all the time. Being beat down without ever being built back up will wear anyone down.
logan_140
6/23/2016 6:36am
Hmm could see Adam leaving his family in the future like a lot of pros have..
TXDirt
6/23/2016 6:39am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2016 6:40am
I believe that the way Adam's Dad acts is okay for short term results. But over the long term it does more damage then good. On the other hand, Austin's Dad acts in a way that is better for long term results. Building confidence up over time. Top 10's now and being happy about the results will lead to top 5's later, then after that fighting for wins and podiums. A racing career is much more like a marathon and not so much a sprint.

You can tell there is some real animosity on race day between Adam and his Dad. Kinda sad to see. Yes, this is a business, but you should enjoy what you do. Adam doesn't have that joy anymore. You can see it on his face. It's nothing but pressure, loss of confidence, burnout, fear of disappointing every one around him including his own mom and dad. Sad to see. Still plenty of time to regain that love back of riding and racing dirt bikes. But he definitely needs a change in scenery and attitude from everyone around him.

For those saying that what works for one rider may not work for another. That is bullshit. We are talking about building confidence. I don't know of anyone who enjoys and reacts positively to constantly being torn down. If you agree with tearing someone down constantly and think you are going to get the desired results you want then you are insane.
NotCore
6/23/2016 6:46am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2016 6:51am
logan_140 wrote:
Hmm could see Adam leaving his family in the future like a lot of pros have..
Maybe, but that's what a kid is supposed to do eventually, right? He's got to grow up and become his own man. I have two teenage boys, and it's a difficult time, regardless. As a dad, you want to support them, but you are doing a disservice to them if you are only a cheerleader, and don't give them the straight scoop on their choices and likely results some time.

These particular kids are growing up and becoming men is an ungodly pressure cooker. I didn't see anything wrong with how either of these dads are handling it. It's not always pretty, but they didn't seem to want it more than their kids did, and that's the key metric. They are both being introspective and seem to be considering how to both help their kids achieve their dreams while being cognizant of the fact that they don't want to damage their relationship with their kids. I say kudos to both of them and respect the effort.
Snapper
6/23/2016 6:48am
TXDirt wrote:
I believe that the way Adam's Dad acts is okay for short term results. But over the long term it does more damage then good. On...
I believe that the way Adam's Dad acts is okay for short term results. But over the long term it does more damage then good. On the other hand, Austin's Dad acts in a way that is better for long term results. Building confidence up over time. Top 10's now and being happy about the results will lead to top 5's later, then after that fighting for wins and podiums. A racing career is much more like a marathon and not so much a sprint.

You can tell there is some real animosity on race day between Adam and his Dad. Kinda sad to see. Yes, this is a business, but you should enjoy what you do. Adam doesn't have that joy anymore. You can see it on his face. It's nothing but pressure, loss of confidence, burnout, fear of disappointing every one around him including his own mom and dad. Sad to see. Still plenty of time to regain that love back of riding and racing dirt bikes. But he definitely needs a change in scenery and attitude from everyone around him.

For those saying that what works for one rider may not work for another. That is bullshit. We are talking about building confidence. I don't know of anyone who enjoys and reacts positively to constantly being torn down. If you agree with tearing someone down constantly and think you are going to get the desired results you want then you are insane.
Absolutely spot on.

He's almost where Bubba is at with his career only he's got to this point much sooner. Send him over here on his own for a year of GP's to get him some independence and make his own decisions and then see where that gets him.

If I had to race in the situation that Adam is in, I wouldn't race. He must have enough money to not need his dad around.
NotCore
6/23/2016 6:50am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2016 6:52am
TXDirt wrote:
I believe that the way Adam's Dad acts is okay for short term results. But over the long term it does more damage then good. On...

I do agree with a lot of what you say here...but remember, this video was just a little snippet of two long and complex relationships. Different days, different stuff, right?

People on the Internet (not you) are quick to judge, but overall, these appear to be two caring dads, and that is more rare than you would think.
TXDirt
6/23/2016 7:37am
TXDirt wrote:

NotCore wrote:
I do agree with a lot of what you say here...but remember, this video was just a little snippet of two long and complex relationships. Different...
I do agree with a lot of what you say here...but remember, this video was just a little snippet of two long and complex relationships. Different days, different stuff, right?

People on the Internet (not you) are quick to judge, but overall, these appear to be two caring dads, and that is more rare than you would think.
There are other videos out there... this isn't the first one. And to your point, this is how he reacts on camera. I can only imagine the negativity and tear downs behind the scenes. There is no doubt that his dad loves him. But he is doing a pretty lousy job at being his riding coach. Which in turn effects their father/son relationship. We have seen this exact same toxic dynamic in our sport and many other sports.

Think about this...... when a basketball player misses a free throw everyone on the team still walks up to him a high 5 or pat on the back. Why is that? Maybe they should get in his face and tell him how bad he sucks at shooting free throws...

Watching this video makes me pull for Adam even more now. He is dealing with some major adversity on and OFF the track.
Camp332
6/23/2016 7:40am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2016 7:40am
Keeping it in perspective. The footage is behind the scenes from Forkner's first race, and Adam's 3rd season.

Sucks to see Adam and his dad openly admit to the dysfunction of their relationship, but there is no judgement from me. They are doing the best they can.

Forkner's family isn't feeling any pressure yet because they've been granted the "rookie no expectation speech" from their sponsor. Give it a season or two.
MR. X
6/23/2016 8:03am
I'm still new at this parenting thing but it seems like constant negativity might not be the way to go.
hartebreak
Fantasy
246th
6/23/2016 9:16am
Let's not forget that videos can be edited and filmed to create "realities" that the film makers are striving for.
Gilby122
6/23/2016 9:33am
I'd be curious as to how many posters here are parents...and parents of athletes/racers. There's definitely a very fine line...and from my own (current) experience, a tough one to walk.

I have an 8 year old that has been racing for a couple years now. Started him on a crf50 in the B class on the PW track. Ended up winning the overall and multiple moto wins his first couple years. A wall full of trophies and he LOVES to compete. I always said I wouldn't buy him a bigger bike until he ASKS for a bigger bike as I watched parent after parent move their kid to the next fastest bike the minute their kid shows any ability...and ruin them.

This year he's on a Cobra and racing in the A class. Through three races (six motos) this summer he's got a 3rd overall, 1st OA, and 1st OA out of some big gates. He's leading the points and he loves to race.

The problem I have is he hates to practice. Allen Iverson. "Practice??!!" He doesn't ever ask to ride...and I won't force him cause I want it to be 'fun.' But I get caught up in the moment and I get pissed. I don't call him a pussy and I don't beat him, but I try to get him to understand that showing up on race day and winning having not touched your bike the previous week or two will only last so long, not to mention the fact I feel like it's dangerous to not practice when I know he's going to show up and haul ass cause he doesn't like to lose. I tell him "look how good you are with no time spent? Imagine what you'd be able to do if you practiced!"

The fine line there is how do you address that as a parent? How do you teach your kid that success is a result of hard work and effort and motivation without getting the blood pressure up??? At 8 or at 18. I always swore I wouldn't be 'that dad,' but it's proving to be tough when he's laid back and can't quite see it yet. Adam's dad has said in previous videos that Adam chose to do this....and if he wants to be the best he needs to put the time in. Do you tell a kid he did a good job when he didn't?

We all want the best for our kids, but super tough when you see more in them than they see in themselves. Parenting is a talent, no doubt. But what you're seeing in the video is a riding coach that just so happens to be his dad. Real fine line.
JSmith
6/23/2016 9:56am
Wow! I have a 5 yr old boy and I would never treat him like AC's dad. Forkner's dad is more like my personality.
DR176
6/23/2016 10:02am
hartebreak wrote:
Let's not forget that videos can be edited and filmed to create "realities" that the film makers are striving for.
I agree, however, I do believe that the riders and families get to view to episodes before they are released. If that's the case, it may even be more intense than even the show portrays.
TXDirt
6/23/2016 10:20am
Gilby122 wrote:
I'd be curious as to how many posters here are parents...and parents of athletes/racers. There's definitely a very fine line...and from my own (current) experience, a...
I'd be curious as to how many posters here are parents...and parents of athletes/racers. There's definitely a very fine line...and from my own (current) experience, a tough one to walk.

I have an 8 year old that has been racing for a couple years now. Started him on a crf50 in the B class on the PW track. Ended up winning the overall and multiple moto wins his first couple years. A wall full of trophies and he LOVES to compete. I always said I wouldn't buy him a bigger bike until he ASKS for a bigger bike as I watched parent after parent move their kid to the next fastest bike the minute their kid shows any ability...and ruin them.

This year he's on a Cobra and racing in the A class. Through three races (six motos) this summer he's got a 3rd overall, 1st OA, and 1st OA out of some big gates. He's leading the points and he loves to race.

The problem I have is he hates to practice. Allen Iverson. "Practice??!!" He doesn't ever ask to ride...and I won't force him cause I want it to be 'fun.' But I get caught up in the moment and I get pissed. I don't call him a pussy and I don't beat him, but I try to get him to understand that showing up on race day and winning having not touched your bike the previous week or two will only last so long, not to mention the fact I feel like it's dangerous to not practice when I know he's going to show up and haul ass cause he doesn't like to lose. I tell him "look how good you are with no time spent? Imagine what you'd be able to do if you practiced!"

The fine line there is how do you address that as a parent? How do you teach your kid that success is a result of hard work and effort and motivation without getting the blood pressure up??? At 8 or at 18. I always swore I wouldn't be 'that dad,' but it's proving to be tough when he's laid back and can't quite see it yet. Adam's dad has said in previous videos that Adam chose to do this....and if he wants to be the best he needs to put the time in. Do you tell a kid he did a good job when he didn't?

We all want the best for our kids, but super tough when you see more in them than they see in themselves. Parenting is a talent, no doubt. But what you're seeing in the video is a riding coach that just so happens to be his dad. Real fine line.
I think because he is still very young you might be better served getting yourself a bike and go do some trail riding with your son. I do not really blame an 8 year old not being interested in putting down laps during the week. When I was 8 I was just getting started and did just open trail riding. Spent a lot of time in Grand Junction, Colorado just riding around in the hills. So much fun. That's how you build a love for motorcycles. Didn't really get too much into serious racing until I was around 10 years old. Picked up by Team Green when I was 11 and then pretty much after that it all became serious. Practice, training, racing. Hitting all of the amateur nationals each year.

Also, be prepared for him to lose interest in racing as he gets older. He may want to take up more traditional sports. And that's okay to.
JW381
6/23/2016 10:22am
endoh935 wrote:
http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/member/MX-Nation-Episode-2-Fathers-and-Sons,13872/GD2,43126 theirs been a few like this before for different riders..but certainly puts things in perspective for AC.
http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/member/MX-Nation-Episode-2-Fathers-and-So…

theirs been a few like this before for different riders..but certainly puts things in perspective for AC.
This is a big one that is missed on a lot of people. I generally do better with positive reinforcement. But I know people, who are like yourself, that do better from getting grilled.
JSmith
6/23/2016 11:22am
Gilby122 wrote:
I'd be curious as to how many posters here are parents...and parents of athletes/racers. There's definitely a very fine line...and from my own (current) experience, a...

I am not trying to be a dick, but did/do you put 100% effort into everything you do? Your job, your personal interests, etc.

He is a kid, let him have fun. Don't push him to practice if he doesn't want to. If he starts losing, he may start wanting to practice, or he may lose interest completely and want to do something else (football, soccer, etc). Realize that there is a very slim chance he will race dirt bikes as a career, so why push him. Life is too short, live it to have fun.
Gilby122
6/23/2016 11:46am
Gilby122 wrote:

JSmith wrote:
I am not trying to be a dick, but did/do you put 100% effort into everything you do? Your job, your personal interests, etc. He is...
I am not trying to be a dick, but did/do you put 100% effort into everything you do? Your job, your personal interests, etc.

He is a kid, let him have fun. Don't push him to practice if he doesn't want to. If he starts losing, he may start wanting to practice, or he may lose interest completely and want to do something else (football, soccer, etc). Realize that there is a very slim chance he will race dirt bikes as a career, so why push him. Life is too short, live it to have fun.
Totally agree/understand. Ya, I work pretty hard. Pride. Not even about the racing, truthfully. It's about life. That's the fine line though. I want it to be fun, but the reason he thinks it's fun is cause he's winning. Life = hard work gets results. That's the 'message.' But also trying to slow my roll and let him be a kid too. He plays football and bball and rides his scooter at the skate park. He races cause I race and we do it as a family. I just don't want him getting hurt (or hurt someone else) cause he's flying on Sunday when he hasn't touched his bike for two weeks.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just feel for that father/son relationship in the vid when a dad wants the best for his kids, but the kids want it too.
NotCore
6/23/2016 11:56am
Gilby122 wrote:

I may be in the minority, and you may get skewered for the honesty in your post, but I think you will be ok. Simply because of the fact that you are agonizing a bit about 'walking the line'. As parents, we have good and bad days, just like our kids. And in these times, it's easy to be caught on camera in a compromising way, but it's the totality of the relationship over time that really counts. To the dads with five year olds, I say wait until they are 15. It's different and it gets more complex over time.

To you, sir, I say just keep on trying. And as always, if your son is driving the activity, and you are there to help and support, then you are doing your job. When you feel like you are pushing, back off and remember it's more important to subscribe to the philosophy of 'do no harm' than it is to make him understand the big picture as you do. He will get it in time. In the mean time, know that most of us have great respect for the dad's that try to get it right, and recognize that you can't get it right at every moment in time. Keep the big picture of the dad/son relationship in mind just as you are trying to get your son to see the big picture of effort and results.

Respect.
NotCore
6/23/2016 11:58am
Camp332 wrote:
Keeping it in perspective. The footage is behind the scenes from Forkner's first race, and Adam's 3rd season. Sucks to see Adam and his dad openly...
Keeping it in perspective. The footage is behind the scenes from Forkner's first race, and Adam's 3rd season.

Sucks to see Adam and his dad openly admit to the dysfunction of their relationship, but there is no judgement from me. They are doing the best they can.

Forkner's family isn't feeling any pressure yet because they've been granted the "rookie no expectation speech" from their sponsor. Give it a season or two.
Good point.

Post a reply to: WoW! to this video..

The Latest