Winter Greasing “framing”

Edited Date/Time 11/23/2022 12:02pm
Winter greasing and bike prep 2023. Heard some guys call it “framed”. What do you grease and what am I missing from this list of moving parts? What other winter rituals do you have?
Linkage
Swingarm pivot
Steering stem head
Wheel bearings
Lube-Levers, Pegs, Rear Brake, Throttle cable.
|
MKMX
11/21/2022 4:29am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2022 1:05pm
Always a good idea to loosen engine mounts and re-align everything! Split all electrical connectors and clean/grease them (use electrical grease only).
11/21/2022 5:00am
MKMX wrote:
Always a good idea to loosen engine mounts and re-align everything! Split all electrical connectors and clean/grease them (use electrical grease only).
I hadn't thought about the electrical connections. Good call! Also, great time to service your suspension.
JB500
11/21/2022 6:13am
Don’t forget chain adjusters in swing arm.
Rickyisms
11/21/2022 6:40am
One of my favorite parts about framing a bike is being able to clean all those places that you just can’t reach during a normal wash. Under the upper and lower triple clamps, Frame/electrical under the tank, airbox, etc.

The Shop

cwolf96
11/21/2022 10:24am
Don't forget to grease the top bearing on your shock. Flush the brake fluid if yours has 20-30+ hours, too.
Gravel
11/21/2022 6:10pm
I grease every bolt that doesn’t get loctite. And all bearings/pivot points/splines.
Rider 5280
11/21/2022 6:57pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2022 9:27pm
Gravel wrote:
I grease every bolt that doesn’t get loctite. And all bearings/pivot points/splines.
FWIW, I've been experimenting with CLP as a bolt thread lube/cleaner as a replacement for grease. I super dig it so far and the bottle's dispensing tip is perfect for MX fastener applications. Here's what I am talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0050GW7KU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_…

------------------------------------------------

Important reminder / be careful: lube on threads can greatly reduce torque required to achieve desired bolt tension. Given this, using dry-thread torque specs on lubed threads can lead to overtorquing and potential damage/breakage.

Some grease and oil torque influences:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/torque-lubrication-effects-d_1693.ht…

Loctite torque influence:
https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/25/ask-kevin-if-i-lubricate-threads-…

Jrey2
11/21/2022 8:40pm
Do you guys think a man could use one of these little gear pumps to turn over brake fluid? Sucking from the caliper with the bleed slightly cracked open. Have to figure out how to prime it first but that’s alright.
Gravel
11/21/2022 9:13pm
Rider, yes, you’re exactly right about torque specs with/without greased threads. I don’t have an engineering answer, I just reduce the spec by about 10%. Don’t know how accurate it is, it’s worked good for a lot of years though.

Jray, a cheap vacuum pump makes short work of bleeding hydraulics.
Jrey2
11/21/2022 9:18pm
Gravel wrote:
Rider, yes, you’re exactly right about torque specs with/without greased threads. I don’t have an engineering answer, I just reduce the spec by about 10%. Don’t...
Rider, yes, you’re exactly right about torque specs with/without greased threads. I don’t have an engineering answer, I just reduce the spec by about 10%. Don’t know how accurate it is, it’s worked good for a lot of years though.

I’ve got a hand pump and it does a good job with bleeding but the volume isn’t there. I feel like it would honestly take all day to do a full turnover on the front caliper.
11/21/2022 10:04pm
Winter greasing and bike prep 2023. Heard some guys call it “framed”. What do you grease and what am I missing from this list of moving...
Winter greasing and bike prep 2023. Heard some guys call it “framed”. What do you grease and what am I missing from this list of moving parts? What other winter rituals do you have?
Linkage
Swingarm pivot
Steering stem head
Wheel bearings
Lube-Levers, Pegs, Rear Brake, Throttle cable.
Leave every tool out that you’ve used to frame the bike. Now what’s left in the tool box put it some storage in your garage as you don’t need them
philG
11/22/2022 2:38pm
You dont say how old the bike is, but if you are pulling it apart , do the whole thing.

Down to bare frame and take pics as you go , cos you wont remember when you put it back a month later.

And inspect stuff as you pull it apart, and make a list ...chain sliders, rollers, that sort of thing are just worth doing cos it tightens everything back up.

Clean the frame and check it for cracks.

And i am one for clean dry threads and the right torque. I rarely use Loctite, but i spanner it like a guy that doesnt use loctite.

IMO Loctite means people check less.

and +1 on the tools... its crazy how little you really use.

But also its amazing how little use those tools are when you are broken down in your RV and the biggest spanner you have is 17mm, separate them , but never leave home with just those.

Spooner
11/23/2022 6:47am
Leave every tool out that you’ve used to frame the bike. Now what’s left in the tool box put it some storage in your garage as...
Leave every tool out that you’ve used to frame the bike. Now what’s left in the tool box put it some storage in your garage as you don’t need them
I did a similar thing a few years back when I bought a used bike and framed it so I could PC the frame. I kept all the tools out and then got a tool box for the van and they all went in there with a few extra things. Then I bought new tools for home in full sets but kept the duplicates.
WTF_M8
11/23/2022 6:59am
Plastic baggies for the leftover bolts after it is all back together.
Zycki11
11/23/2022 7:23am
WTF_M8 wrote:
Plastic baggies for the leftover bolts after it is all back together.
Labeled WTF
Gravel
11/23/2022 10:17am
Gravel wrote:
Rider, yes, you’re exactly right about torque specs with/without greased threads. I don’t have an engineering answer, I just reduce the spec by about 10%. Don’t...

Jrey2 wrote:
I’ve got a hand pump and it does a good job with bleeding but the volume isn’t there. I feel like it would honestly take all...
I’ve got a hand pump and it does a good job with bleeding but the volume isn’t there. I feel like it would honestly take all day to do a full turnover on the front caliper.
I’m using a cheap electric vac pump with a 8-10 ounce chamber inline with the pump, it’ll do a bike system in about 2 minutes once it’s all put together and hooked up. The hardest thing is keeping the MC full so it doesn’t pull the system dry. And don’t go for full vacuum, it’ll pull air past the seals, about 15-20 inches is good.

Post a reply to: Winter Greasing “framing”

The Latest