Windham's Lost Seasons

Scooter
Big fan of Kevin Windham and a longtime subscriber and supporter of RacerX.

I understand the restrictions of print magazines but sure wish the entire story was in the Magazine.

Great story though:

https://racerxonline.com/2020/05/01/kevin-windhams-lost-seasons
|
5/1/2020 1:00pm
Randy Richardsons comment to Kdub in the motorhome. Classic
Detroit Dick
5/1/2020 2:36pm
Great read. I love when they get multiple points of view, really helps round out the whole picture.
str8line
5/1/2020 5:24pm
Cool piece. I never knew Kevin was going to retire early.

"Ricky was never fun to ride with, not on the track or off the track." Windham

Or in the booth, turns out. Wink

The Shop

Forty
5/1/2020 6:44pm
Windham = Motocross
cable
5/1/2020 8:11pm
safe to say alley was in on the shenanigans?
TDeath21
5/1/2020 10:29pm
Truly a guy just born at the worst possible time. Sandwiched between the two greatest AMA riders ever. 99 MX was his best shot. Loved watching him ride and his SX opening ceremony transfers were legendary.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
5/2/2020 12:54am
I never knew K-Dub was such a bad-boy haha

The-man is such a wise man to get him and Travis together

Bidirella
5/2/2020 12:56am
TDeath21 wrote:
Truly a guy just born at the worst possible time. Sandwiched between the two greatest AMA riders ever. 99 MX was his best shot. Loved watching...
Truly a guy just born at the worst possible time. Sandwiched between the two greatest AMA riders ever. 99 MX was his best shot. Loved watching him ride and his SX opening ceremony transfers were legendary.
It’s never the right time. If his birth was later he would have faced a Villopoto/Dungey/Tomac/Roczen/Webb.

That would also be some crazyness to battle with and i think Windham would also not get that job done.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
5/2/2020 1:01am
str8line wrote:
DV our fellow vitard - can you please give us a play-by play of this? Love the 1 hander brother
mccread
5/2/2020 2:46am
Brilliant article. Always wondered what happened in those Suzuki days. Still love watching old videos of Windham racing, just so smooth and made it look easy.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
5/2/2020 6:03am
mccread wrote:
Brilliant article. Always wondered what happened in those Suzuki days. Still love watching old videos of Windham racing, just so smooth and made it look easy.
It’s kind of funny because his style was always seemingly effortless but after reading the article....it truly was. He was giving very little effort.
TDeath21
5/2/2020 9:09am
TDeath21 wrote:
Truly a guy just born at the worst possible time. Sandwiched between the two greatest AMA riders ever. 99 MX was his best shot. Loved watching...
Bidirella wrote:
It’s never the right time. If his birth was later he would have faced a Villopoto/Dungey/Tomac/Roczen/Webb. That would also be some crazyness to battle with and...
It’s never the right time. If his birth was later he would have faced a Villopoto/Dungey/Tomac/Roczen/Webb.

That would also be some crazyness to battle with and i think Windham would also not get that job done.
I’d take my chances with any of those guys over RC and MC.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
5/2/2020 9:47am
Great story!

Windham's body of work is really good even with the ups and downs.

What if he would have just stayed at Yamaha? They had a great bike then.

He was good on Team Honda but still just in his first two years of the premier class.

The Suzuki years, great looking bike and style plus Travis as a teamate. His head just wasn't in the right place, he was just figuring out what he wanted out of life.

The FC Honda rebirth was fantastic and the fans took to him. Great story, great guy. One of the most beloved MX racers in my era.
gt80rider
5/2/2020 9:54am
I remember a time when we called him K-fade... We all thought it was health issues... Turns out it was a party issue... Lol.... Glad to see Kevin is a normal human....
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
5/2/2020 10:00am
I’m having a hard time understanding what Stanton said (and to who) that pissed Windham off so much...

“JEFF STANTON
I had been trying to help him with everything that he had going on on and off the track. I loved both Kevin and Dottie and was involved in talking to some people in the sport that had some things to do with stuff that was going on. This one weekend I was doing just that and trying to help make things right. Thirty minutes later, Kevin comes running to the Honda pits. He’s ready to kill me. This was at the freaking race.“

“I called Dottie and told her what I was going to do too. She was like, “I love you for everything you’re doing.” So, I’m like, “I’m over it. This had to happen. I did this because I’m one of your best friends. You can’t see that right now. Down the road you will, but I just had to.” So it all blew up that night. So Kevin went home the next day and him and Dottie have been fine ever since. Kevin did not talk to me for about three years.”
JRT812
5/2/2020 1:29pm
Great article and Steven knocked it out of the park
davis224
Fantasy
138th
5/2/2020 2:04pm
SPYGUY wrote:
I’m having a hard time understanding what Stanton said (and to who) that pissed Windham off so much... “JEFF STANTON I had been trying to help...
I’m having a hard time understanding what Stanton said (and to who) that pissed Windham off so much...

“JEFF STANTON
I had been trying to help him with everything that he had going on on and off the track. I loved both Kevin and Dottie and was involved in talking to some people in the sport that had some things to do with stuff that was going on. This one weekend I was doing just that and trying to help make things right. Thirty minutes later, Kevin comes running to the Honda pits. He’s ready to kill me. This was at the freaking race.“

“I called Dottie and told her what I was going to do too. She was like, “I love you for everything you’re doing.” So, I’m like, “I’m over it. This had to happen. I did this because I’m one of your best friends. You can’t see that right now. Down the road you will, but I just had to.” So it all blew up that night. So Kevin went home the next day and him and Dottie have been fine ever since. Kevin did not talk to me for about three years.”
Same. I re read it several times trying to find out what they were talking about
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
5/2/2020 2:09pm
I’m guessing Stanton went around Kevin and told his wife what was up so she had a talk with Kevin and they had problems to work out. He wasn’t getting through to him so he had his wife get through to him. She did and Kevin was pissed at Jeff. Maybe that is what happened?
GODZILLA
5/2/2020 2:14pm
SPYGUY wrote:
I’m having a hard time understanding what Stanton said (and to who) that pissed Windham off so much... “JEFF STANTON I had been trying to help...

“JEFF STANTON

davis224 wrote:
Same. I re read it several times trying to find out what they were talking about
Stanton probably told him something like "Man, it's time you get to your first AA meeting".
Interesting how this -very good- story doesn't say clearly what Windham has admitted himself before: there was a point where he was drinking heavily.
What Ramrod calls "figuring out what he wanted from life"...
5/2/2020 5:21pm
To me, Windham is one of those guys you want to have a beer with because he would spend less time talking about himself, and more time just bsing and having fun.
5/2/2020 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2020 6:13pm
SPYGUY wrote:

“JEFF STANTON

Sounds like he violated some trust that Kevin had in him by talking to his team, sponsors, agent etc. An intervention, of sorts.
Superdave19
5/2/2020 6:52pm
I have meet him & hung out briefly - He is stone cold cool.. Very humble guy. Just with out-of-this world talent
mister2dt
5/2/2020 8:39pm
I was lucky enough to watch him race and race against him from 80's to 125's. His speed and style was there at age 8. Just insane to witness. He and his dad and a van full of kx's. Eat, sleep, breath moto.
brocster
5/2/2020 9:02pm
mister2dt wrote:
I was lucky enough to watch him race and race against him from 80's to 125's. His speed and style was there at age 8. Just...
I was lucky enough to watch him race and race against him from 80's to 125's. His speed and style was there at age 8. Just insane to witness. He and his dad and a van full of kx's. Eat, sleep, breath moto.
Never raced against him but I watched him grow from pw’s on up. My uncle used to race with his older brother Windham on a dirt bike is magical. Always has been.
Neverclear
5/2/2020 9:04pm
We were on the back hill at Unadilla when he holeshot Moto 2 over RC. Hearing the roar from the crowd, we knew KDub nailed it. RC had been winning so much that everyone was psyched to see him back and focused.

It's a day my son and I still talk about.
mister2dt
5/2/2020 9:32pm
mister2dt wrote:
I was lucky enough to watch him race and race against him from 80's to 125's. His speed and style was there at age 8. Just...
brocster wrote:
Never raced against him but I watched him grow from pw’s on up. My uncle used to race with his older brother Windham on a dirt...
Never raced against him but I watched him grow from pw’s on up. My uncle used to race with his older brother Windham on a dirt bike is magical. Always has been.
I moved to Mississippi in 1990. First time he came to my local after i moved here, had no idea who he was. He lined up in the open class with us on his 80. Lapped the field in a 10 lap race. 14-15 guys on the gate, 3 500's with guys who could flat out rip a 500. Made us all look like c class heros
5/4/2020 8:06am
Kevin and I were sitting in rocking chairs on a porch one evening, and he told me all the horrific details about the Atlanta crash and how they took a Makita drill and drilled his leg , I think.he said with no pain killer.
At that point I said please stop I don't want to hear anymore.
Crush
5/4/2020 8:58am
That opening picture is breathtaking.

No one looks better on a bike than KW on his Zook days.

Get fucked.
Adam43
5/4/2020 11:15am
SPYGUY wrote:

“JEFF STANTON

davis224 wrote:
GODZILLA wrote:
Stanton probably told him something like "Man, it's time you get to your first AA meeting". Interesting how this -very good- story doesn't say clearly what...
Stanton probably told him something like "Man, it's time you get to your first AA meeting".
Interesting how this -very good- story doesn't say clearly what Windham has admitted himself before: there was a point where he was drinking heavily.
What Ramrod calls "figuring out what he wanted from life"...
Yeah, this is a very interesting subject but it is poorly told.

Matthes completely glosses over the actual issues, which were well known.

I understand the intent isn't to make KW look bad but this is basically the premise for the entire story.

Post a reply to: Windham's Lost Seasons

The Latest