Windham and Musquin; best premier class riders without a premiere class title?

agn5009
6/8/2019 3:50pm
Brad460 wrote:
Sounds like you’ve concluded Marvin will never win a title...
agn5009 wrote:
He probably won’t.
Brad460 wrote:
He “probably” won’t? So you can’t even make a definitive prediction..just a half assed one.. Here we are talking about Marvin being the best to never...
He “probably” won’t? So you can’t even make a definitive prediction..just a half assed one..

Here we are talking about Marvin being the best to never win a title the day after he signs a contract extension..Pinch

I’m not a psychic so I don’t know if he will win one or not. I just don’t think he will. That’s my honest opinion whether you like it or not.
6/8/2019 4:50pm
agn5009 wrote:
He probably won’t.
Brad460 wrote:
He “probably” won’t? So you can’t even make a definitive prediction..just a half assed one.. Here we are talking about Marvin being the best to never...
He “probably” won’t? So you can’t even make a definitive prediction..just a half assed one..

Here we are talking about Marvin being the best to never win a title the day after he signs a contract extension..Pinch

agn5009 wrote:
I’m not a psychic so I don’t know if he will win one or not. I just don’t think he will. That’s my honest opinion whether...
I’m not a psychic so I don’t know if he will win one or not. I just don’t think he will. That’s my honest opinion whether you like it or not.
There are a couple of ways to look at it.

If you view him as the average 29 y/o rider who has been battling for championships in the premier class for the better part of a decade, his prospects are indeed grim.

If you view him as an outlier, who has swiftly accelerated from "Dungey's loyal wingman" to losing multiple championships by a point margin narrower than a single race in a mere *three years*, his prospects improve significantly.
ATKpilot99
6/8/2019 5:18pm
I'd like to see Marvin get one.
RandyS
6/8/2019 5:21pm
Bradshaw by a mile in the US.

The Shop

Motohead279
6/8/2019 6:05pm
Asselstine wrote:
Windham over Bradshaw for sure. Old boys always lookin through their rose colored glasses when they talk about Bradshaw. K dub has a lot more mx...
Windham over Bradshaw for sure. Old boys always lookin through their rose colored glasses when they talk about Bradshaw. K dub has a lot more mx wins than him and one less Sx win. K dub won a 250 sx main while still racing 125s. He was a complete badass somehow is often overlooked.
Then you don’t know anything about Bradshaw. 19 wins in 4 seasons, won races when he was only 17. After 93 he burnt out and quit but he has (until Tomac) the most SX wins of anyone without a title. Has 29 mx/SX combined wins in basically only 5 seasons.

Unfortunately crashes, and probably the biggest choke of all time in 92 in LA took his biggest chance away.

Also, he won the Osaka SX when he was only 15, beating Ricky Johnson and the other biggest SX stars at that time. Imagine today a 15 year old amateur winning the biggest off season SX race in the 450 class beating ET, MM, KR, Webb etc.

Other than that I would agree MM and Windham, but MM has 2 world MX2 titles.
wr74
6/8/2019 7:48pm
Ron Lechien. On his day, hands down the fastest rider in the world. See 89 Mxdn.
agn5009
6/8/2019 8:23pm
Brad460 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
I’m not a psychic so I don’t know if he will win one or not. I just don’t think he will. That’s my honest opinion whether...
There are a couple of ways to look at it. If you view him as the average 29 y/o rider who has been battling for championships...
There are a couple of ways to look at it.

If you view him as the average 29 y/o rider who has been battling for championships in the premier class for the better part of a decade, his prospects are indeed grim.

If you view him as an outlier, who has swiftly accelerated from "Dungey's loyal wingman" to losing multiple championships by a point margin narrower than a single race in a mere *three years*, his prospects improve significantly.
I’d like to see him get one. I just don’t see it happening. Hope I’m wrong.
NateDawg
6/9/2019 8:04am
Asselstine wrote:
Windham over Bradshaw for sure. Old boys always lookin through their rose colored glasses when they talk about Bradshaw. K dub has a lot more mx...
Windham over Bradshaw for sure. Old boys always lookin through their rose colored glasses when they talk about Bradshaw. K dub has a lot more mx wins than him and one less Sx win. K dub won a 250 sx main while still racing 125s. He was a complete badass somehow is often overlooked.
Then you don’t know anything about Bradshaw. 19 wins in 4 seasons, won races when he was only 17. After 93 he burnt out and quit...
Then you don’t know anything about Bradshaw. 19 wins in 4 seasons, won races when he was only 17. After 93 he burnt out and quit but he has (until Tomac) the most SX wins of anyone without a title. Has 29 mx/SX combined wins in basically only 5 seasons.

Unfortunately crashes, and probably the biggest choke of all time in 92 in LA took his biggest chance away.

Also, he won the Osaka SX when he was only 15, beating Ricky Johnson and the other biggest SX stars at that time. Imagine today a 15 year old amateur winning the biggest off season SX race in the 450 class beating ET, MM, KR, Webb etc.

In all fairness to KDUB, he had to race in arguably the fastest era in the sport's history, if we're talking about the top guys at least. RC, Stewart, and Reed are all legends and way more of a challenge than Tomac, Roczen, etc.
Motohead279
6/9/2019 7:00pm
Asselstine wrote:
Then you don’t know anything about Bradshaw. 19 wins in 4 seasons, won races when he was only 17. After 93 he burnt out and quit...

NateDawg wrote:
In all fairness to KDUB, he had to race in arguably the fastest era in the sport's history, if we're talking about the top guys at...
In all fairness to KDUB, he had to race in arguably the fastest era in the sport's history, if we're talking about the top guys at least. RC, Stewart, and Reed are all legends and way more of a challenge than Tomac, Roczen, etc.
I totally agree, it depends on the era and competition. I was just responding about the comment about Bradshaw like he was over hyped.
gnarwhip
6/9/2019 7:09pm
Musquin has never even won an outdoor overall, so not sure why you’d put him on any list.
ATKpilot99
6/9/2019 7:29pm
gnarwhip wrote:
Musquin has never even won an outdoor overall, so not sure why you’d put him on any list.
Go to the vault and see how wrong you are .
cbuehler767
6/9/2019 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2019 7:43pm
Asselstine wrote:

Yeah wait a minute. Marv is a 2 time World champ. Great point. Why is he even in this thread? We're talking about guys that never won title
Edit: I see its who never won a premier class title. I think the thing with Windam or Bradshaw is they never won any titles. Ya Marv "only" has MX2 titles but they are a huge deal.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
6/9/2019 7:44pm
Asselstine wrote:

Yeah wait a minute. Marv is a 2 time World champ. Great point. Why is he even in this thread? We're talking about guys that never...
Yeah wait a minute. Marv is a 2 time World champ. Great point. Why is he even in this thread? We're talking about guys that never won title
Edit: I see its who never won a premier class title. I think the thing with Windam or Bradshaw is they never won any titles. Ya Marv "only" has MX2 titles but they are a huge deal.
mx2 wouldn't be considered premier class
jonesaustin
6/9/2019 7:48pm
Park Boys wrote:
It’s Bradshaw, none of the other guys were the guys. At different times in his career he was shockingly faster than everyone else. Remember what Bradshaw...
It’s Bradshaw, none of the other guys were the guys. At different times in his career he was shockingly faster than everyone else. Remember what Bradshaw did in his rookie year before his injuries plus he was 17 I believe.
100% correct, it’s absolutely Damon Bradshaw.
cbuehler767
6/9/2019 7:48pm
soggy wrote:
Yeah I caught that after fact. MX2 titles even 250 National titles are huge deals though. But yeah he said. premier.
Markus422
6/9/2019 7:54pm
I know he didn't win a lot but if you're looking into points standings at the end of the season I feel like Andrew Short should be in the conversation
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
6/9/2019 8:41pm
Yeah I caught that after fact. MX2 titles even 250 National titles are huge deals though. But yeah he said. premier.
definitely.
gnarwhip
6/9/2019 9:28pm
gnarwhip wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
450 overall. Prove me wrong.
bionic218
6/9/2019 10:30pm
Markus422 wrote:
I know he didn't win a lot but if you're looking into points standings at the end of the season I feel like Andrew Short should...
I know he didn't win a lot but if you're looking into points standings at the end of the season I feel like Andrew Short should be in the conversation
I like and respect Andrew, but I feel like consistency and runner-up spots open up the category too much for a guy like Shorty. Against the raw speed and ability of a very young Beast from the East, he just didn't have it. Shorty reminds me more of a Weston Peick. A guy who's going to give it all, finish near the top, and not embarrass the team or the brand. A solid top 3-8 guy, but not close to the speed we're talking about in this thread.

And if you're going to include him, why not Canard? Why not Ryno or Ferry? You could go even further back with guys like Matasevich and Larry Ward. The problem is you end up with too many guys who had top level speed and the ability to win . . . sometimes.

I will say Windham is the only guy I can remember ever tracking down RC in the outdoors, passing him, and setting sail. Washougal - 2001ish IIRC.

Marv - who knows? Dude rips hard when he's feeling it, but I feel like he lays up too much. (And I don't blame him a bit.) When the track gets sketch, when the alpha dogs are fighting, he kind of waits for his opportunity or wads it up. Sometimes the wait for it thing works, but more often it does not.
NateDawg
6/9/2019 11:16pm
gnarwhip wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
gnarwhip wrote:
2017 washougal 450 results

Well that took all of 5 seconds...
ATKpilot99
6/10/2019 3:13am
gnarwhip wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
gnarwhip wrote:
He also won the overalls at Red Bud and Southwick in 18.
tcallahan707
6/10/2019 4:16am
Marv came into the season injured and made it interesting even though the other guy was ridiculously consistent, clutch, and lucky. If he rolls one rhythm lane, it's very likely he is defending a title in his 5th season.
6/10/2019 5:00am
gnarwhip wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
gnarwhip wrote:
So confident, yet so stupid.

Motohead279
6/10/2019 9:11am

Yeah wait a minute. Marv is a 2 time World champ. Great point. Why is he even in this thread? We're talking about guys that never...
soggy wrote:
Yeah I caught the Premier class part of that after I wrote that.
ATKpilot99
6/10/2019 10:20am
soggy wrote:
When you think about it though it still puts him on another level because while it's not a premier class title it's still a major title. If I'm not mistaken he won his before the age rule also .
Motohead279
6/10/2019 12:09pm
soggy wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
When you think about it though it still puts him on another level because while it's not a premier class title it's still a major title...
When you think about it though it still puts him on another level because while it's not a premier class title it's still a major title. If I'm not mistaken he won his before the age rule also .
I agree that it’s a major title same. And yes the age rule was not in affect back then he just wanted to come over and try his hand in America.

His first world title I believe he was on a privateer/satellite Honda team and leading the championship, when mid season he switched to KTM because of better support. I believe there was a big lawsuit over it.
cbuehler767
6/10/2019 12:44pm
I agree that it’s a major title same. And yes the age rule was not in affect back then he just wanted to come over and...
I agree that it’s a major title same. And yes the age rule was not in affect back then he just wanted to come over and try his hand in America.

His first world title I believe he was on a privateer/satellite Honda team and leading the championship, when mid season he switched to KTM because of better support. I believe there was a big lawsuit over it.
I remember that. Something crazy like he was leading the championship but the Honda team wouldn't even give him a bike then KTM picked him up and Honda sued

Post a reply to: Windham and Musquin; best premier class riders without a premiere class title?

The Latest