Wilson update confirmed.

level
Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 5:22pm
Bike failure caused to come up short on rhythm and go over handlebars and bike land on him. He doesn’t need surgery on shoulder and has contusion on kidney.

Full article
Sorry if been posted.

https://racerxonline.com/2019/04/16/dean-wilson-out-for-remainder-of-su…
|
yz133rider
4/16/2019 2:18pm
level wrote:
Bike failure caused to come up short on rhythm and go over handlebars and bike land on him. He doesn’t need surgery on shoulder and has...
Bike failure caused to come up short on rhythm and go over handlebars and bike land on him. He doesn’t need surgery on shoulder and has contusion on kidney.

Full article
Sorry if been posted.

https://racerxonline.com/2019/04/16/dean-wilson-out-for-remainder-of-su…
Glad it isnt worse but still a bummer.
Sully22
4/17/2019 2:56pm
I saw this reported in a few different places as well, including his IG account, but no where did I see what the bike malfunction was....Does anyone know? It was mentioned his bike did a nose dive.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
4/17/2019 3:09pm
Didnt Bowers also miss a round or two, Savatgy very lucky not to miss a round.

So riders pretty much know they go into a SX season with a close on 50/50 chance of being injured.

I can't think of another motorsport where the odds are that high of injury.

You have to wonder why we like this sport so much at times lol.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
4/17/2019 3:41pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
Didnt Bowers also miss a round or two, Savatgy very lucky not to miss a round. So riders pretty much know they go into a SX...
Didnt Bowers also miss a round or two, Savatgy very lucky not to miss a round.

So riders pretty much know they go into a SX season with a close on 50/50 chance of being injured.

I can't think of another motorsport where the odds are that high of injury.

You have to wonder why we like this sport so much at times lol.
Bowers missed Glendale, but wasn't that to race in Germany?

The Shop

level
4/17/2019 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2019 3:47pm
Like I stated in another post the powers at be need to create a different functioning body thats sole purpose is to try and reduce injuries by studying previous crashes and track design and starts and rider protection. It needs to be funded by teams and feld etc.

Some of that money can go to r and d for better protection for riders or funneled to protection companies r and d budget. Doctors can analyze each crash and say if they were wearing this specific device they wouldn’t have been injured then work to build it.

It has to be done. The sport can still be great and not change much but little things may be able to be done to reduce injury.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
4/17/2019 3:48pm
I don't know if these were all injuries, but 11 of the riders who finished in the top 20 of round 1 (Hangtown) last year outdoors ended up missing at least one round that year:

Jason Anderson
Weston Peick
Christian Craig
Bradley Taft
Kyle Chisholm
Jake Masterpool
Dylan Merriam
Kyle Cunningham
Brandan Leith
Toshiki Tomita
Dare DeMartile
4/17/2019 4:21pm
Kind of weird that only the riders with guaranteed paychecks are missing races.
omalley
4/17/2019 4:43pm
Sully22 wrote:
I saw this reported in a few different places as well, including his IG account, but no where did I see what the bike malfunction was....Does...
I saw this reported in a few different places as well, including his IG account, but no where did I see what the bike malfunction was....Does anyone know? It was mentioned his bike did a nose dive.
No confirmation, but in watching the video, you can hear the bike quit/blow up, or at least go to idle on the takeoff. He was a passenger at that point.
Dtat720
4/17/2019 5:32pm
Rumblings ive seen more than a few times is the subframe broke and disconnected the ecu shutting the bike off
4/18/2019 12:30am
Kind of weird that only the riders with guaranteed paychecks are missing races.
Those are the guys that race harder and take more risks
Speeder757
4/18/2019 1:36am
Bring back the 2 Stroke or make 350-400cc the premier class.
ShipLap
4/18/2019 3:35am
Missed Zach Osborne, or did I miss him?
4/18/2019 3:43am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 3:43am
Dtat720 wrote:
Rumblings ive seen more than a few times is the subframe broke and disconnected the ecu shutting the bike off
Did he seat bounce the jump? Haven't seen the race as stupid FOXTEL box won't keep the series on record
logan_140
4/18/2019 3:49am
Deano got lucky. Should be ready for outdoors thankfully
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
4/18/2019 5:37am
ShipLap wrote:
Missed Zach Osborne, or did I miss him?
It's a comparison of riders who qualified for A1 and Zach wasn't there.

It's a crazy stat and 50% if you include Savatgy (injured in the heat) and Seely (injured in practice).

2 to go!

tingo
4/18/2019 5:51am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 5:55am
level wrote:
Like I stated in another post the powers at be need to create a different functioning body thats sole purpose is to try and reduce injuries...
Like I stated in another post the powers at be need to create a different functioning body thats sole purpose is to try and reduce injuries by studying previous crashes and track design and starts and rider protection. It needs to be funded by teams and feld etc.

Some of that money can go to r and d for better protection for riders or funneled to protection companies r and d budget. Doctors can analyze each crash and say if they were wearing this specific device they wouldn’t have been injured then work to build it.

It has to be done. The sport can still be great and not change much but little things may be able to be done to reduce injury.
It's a noble suggestion, but again, protection companies already DO a bunch of research and product development. Check out this story on the homepage. It wasn't so long ago that neck braces did not exist. Same for wrist and knee braces. Hell, guys used to wear open-face helmets. Racers today are more protected than they've ever been, and things are getting better all the time. At the end of the day, racing motorcycles is, and always will be, a dangerous sport.

As for Deano, I'm glad he wasn't hurt worse. It sucks to see him even acknowledge the "haters" in his IG post. I don't think we've seen much of what he is talking about (people saying they aren't surprised to see him hurt again) here on Vital, but IG commenters are a whole different breed. Either way, it seems like most of these guys do a good job ignoring that shit, as should Dean. He is one of the most well-liked guys out there.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
4/18/2019 5:58am
level wrote:
Like I stated in another post the powers at be need to create a different functioning body thats sole purpose is to try and reduce injuries...

tingo wrote:
It's a noble suggestion, but again, protection companies already DO a bunch of research and product development. Check out [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/FLY-Racing-Releases-Formula-Helmet-Testing-Data,21279]this story on the homepage[/url]. It wasn't...
It's a noble suggestion, but again, protection companies already DO a bunch of research and product development. Check out this story on the homepage. It wasn't so long ago that neck braces did not exist. Same for wrist and knee braces. Hell, guys used to wear open-face helmets. Racers today are more protected than they've ever been, and things are getting better all the time. At the end of the day, racing motorcycles is, and always will be, a dangerous sport.

As for Deano, I'm glad he wasn't hurt worse. It sucks to see him even acknowledge the "haters" in his IG post. I don't think we've seen much of what he is talking about (people saying they aren't surprised to see him hurt again) here on Vital, but IG commenters are a whole different breed. Either way, it seems like most of these guys do a good job ignoring that shit, as should Dean. He is one of the most well-liked guys out there.
Yeah but remember that 80s supercross where Larry Huffman said, "the worst injury we've seen is a broken collarbone." Tracks, bikes, combo, whatever, the injuries are up. Can't argue that.
kaptkaos
4/18/2019 6:12am
level wrote:

tingo wrote:
It's a noble suggestion, but again, protection companies already DO a bunch of research and product development. Check out [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/FLY-Racing-Releases-Formula-Helmet-Testing-Data,21279]this story on the homepage[/url]. It wasn't...

Racers today are more protected than they've ever been, and things are getting better all the time.

Racers have the best protection available to them, however the majority choose not to use them.

The racing will always be dangerous and injuries are part of the sport, can we reduce them? Sure, but its not likely to happen. Its pretty simple, speed equals broken shit. Slow the bikes down, or slow the tracks down. You will still get injuries even in tip overs, but hopefully nothing major like Roczens or Mookies.

I remember back in the day a 190 lbs 125 2 stroke would not chase me down and impale me to the track like a modern 450 does. I used to end up with my 125 on top of me many times and never really had it do any serious damage. It also didnt go that fast, it just made a lot of noise and sounded fast....

I am not a person who thinks 2 strokes need to come back, I hate mixing oil and the smoke. But these 450 on an SX track are just gnarly and the results are carnage.
IWreckALot
4/18/2019 6:36am
level wrote:

tingo wrote:

Yeah but remember that 80s supercross where Larry Huffman said, "the worst injury we've seen is a broken collarbone." Tracks, bikes, combo, whatever, the injuries are...
Yeah but remember that 80s supercross where Larry Huffman said, "the worst injury we've seen is a broken collarbone." Tracks, bikes, combo, whatever, the injuries are up. Can't argue that.
The only way to reduce injuries is to tame down the obstacles. And that loses spectator interest. I think it is what it is at this point. Continue to improve where you can, but it's a risk of the business. Never going to make it "safe". The front guys are all so competitive with each other that they have to push if they want to win. They have to win if they want to make high end money in the sport. The line has been pushed forward so far from when Huffman raced, it respectfully isn't a valid argument in today's arena.

I'd like to see less injuries, but I don't see how reducing displacement, or stretching or shortening obstacles will accomplish anything without losing the fan base. Just my $.02.
kpiper
4/18/2019 8:44am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 8:45am
tingo wrote:

Yeah but remember that 80s supercross where Larry Huffman said, "the worst injury we've seen is a broken collarbone." Tracks, bikes, combo, whatever, the injuries are...
IWreckALot wrote:
The only way to reduce injuries is to tame down the obstacles. And that loses spectator interest. I think it is what it is at this...
The only way to reduce injuries is to tame down the obstacles. And that loses spectator interest. I think it is what it is at this point. Continue to improve where you can, but it's a risk of the business. Never going to make it "safe". The front guys are all so competitive with each other that they have to push if they want to win. They have to win if they want to make high end money in the sport. The line has been pushed forward so far from when Huffman raced, it respectfully isn't a valid argument in today's arena.

I'd like to see less injuries, but I don't see how reducing displacement, or stretching or shortening obstacles will accomplish anything without losing the fan base. Just my $.02.
Fans like to see racing. Jumping is not racing. Racing is passing. Make the tracks slower with more areas to pass and the fans will love it.

Do you ever hear cheering when they do a triple? Or do you hear cheering when someone passes someone?
4/18/2019 8:58am
Looked a little further back. I just looked at the number of riders that competed in all 17 mains, so there may have been some privateers or non-factory team riders who competed every week but failed to make the main one or more times.

2009 - 6 riders
2010 - 7
2011 - 9 (including Villapoto who missed the main due to crashes in both his heat and LCQ, but was uninjured)
2012 - 3
2013 - 7
2014 - 5
2015 - 5
2016 - 8
2017 - 7
2018 - 6

For the past 10 years 450 SX has averaged 6.3 riders to complete the full season.
Sleapy
4/18/2019 9:18am
Sully22 wrote:
I saw this reported in a few different places as well, including his IG account, but no where did I see what the bike malfunction was....Does...
I thought I saw somewhere that his ECU wire broke or something? I don't remember where but I thought I read that somewhere.
4/18/2019 10:16am
Looked a little further back. I just looked at the number of riders that competed in all 17 mains, so there may have been some privateers...
Looked a little further back. I just looked at the number of riders that competed in all 17 mains, so there may have been some privateers or non-factory team riders who competed every week but failed to make the main one or more times.

2009 - 6 riders
2010 - 7
2011 - 9 (including Villapoto who missed the main due to crashes in both his heat and LCQ, but was uninjured)
2012 - 3
2013 - 7
2014 - 5
2015 - 5
2016 - 8
2017 - 7
2018 - 6

For the past 10 years 450 SX has averaged 6.3 riders to complete the full season.
Interesting stat. Would love to see similar prior to modern 4 strokes took over. Just for curiosity's sake.
zehn
4/18/2019 10:21am
I'm sorry but that is entirely untrue. My dad has been involved in MX since 1967 and worse injuries than broken collarbones have been a part of the sport since the very beginning. I'm not saying that those injuries happened as often as they do now and I recognize that he was talking about SX, but my point still stands.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
4/18/2019 11:54am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 11:58am
Since 1990, here are the number of riders who made all the main events in a given year. (Different years have had different number of events.)

The black line is the trend of the number of riders. It is going up very very slightly.

Interestingly, the worst 4-year stretch was 1995-1998, when an average of 4.8 guys made all the mains - and 3 of those years were when there were only 15 events.
Casting
4/18/2019 12:00pm
Thanks for the graph RichieW13.

Does the number of riders who made every main event count only count riders who missed mains due to injury, or does it also count riders who missed mains due to not qualifying, or not even traveling to the round thus they didn't make main?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
4/18/2019 12:12pm
Casting wrote:
Thanks for the graph RichieW13. Does the number of riders who made every main event count only count riders who missed mains due to injury, or...
Thanks for the graph RichieW13.

Does the number of riders who made every main event count only count riders who missed mains due to injury, or does it also count riders who missed mains due to not qualifying, or not even traveling to the round thus they didn't make main?
It's just the number of guys who made the main event every week, without knowing why guys didn't make the main.

But you have to figure there are at least 10? factory riders every year who would only miss a main event due to injury or sickness?

And a few of those years include non-factory guys who made all the mains. For instance, in 2015, Kyle Partridge was one of the 5 guys to make all 17 main events. I don't think he was a factory rider, was he?
Mxracer6y
4/18/2019 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 5:42pm
level wrote:

this is a bit over the top. Next thing you'll have concussion protocol every time a rider falls and they'll be pulling them off the track. This isnt the NFL.

Actually, this is WAY over the top. Doctors analyzing crashes? designing specific devices? are you serious...? Do you want to just wrap everyone in bubble wrap?? Or maybe we could line the track with pillows and fluff and all the guys can wear skirts? We could enact speed limits maybe?

The tracks on the other hand... Im all for changing track designs. The current supercross standard of: jump, jump, jump, jump, corner, jump, jump, jump, jump, corner, whoops, corner, jump, jump, jump, corner, sand, corner, jump, jump, jump is a bit ridiculous.... Especially with how 1. big and 2. techincal the jumps are.

There's no reason why supercross tracks cant be toned down, and designed more like a motocross track.... IMO it would DEFINITELY make the racing better...

Take the SMX cup for example... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0DlCqqDwE) I dont see ANY reason why tracks cant be designed more like this??

*edit* On second thought, I could see how the track/racing could get a bit boring if designed that way.... But idk, something needs to change as far as track design.... just tone it down a TAD bit... OR if it was designed like the SMX cup, it would have to go up into the seating like pontiac used to do, just to make the track longer and get some elevation.... Mannnn bring back the coliseum !
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
4/18/2019 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 6:48pm
The tracks are safer than they used to be.

You could hear his bike rev and then just quit/ silence over that last bump. It was clearly the bike, but If he wants a ride, he will probably need to keep quiet about it. He got a raw deal on this one.

Post a reply to: Wilson update confirmed.

The Latest