Wilson a privateer? Kinda? You decide.

tprice07
1/7/2019 9:40am
tprice07 wrote:
He's a factory supported rider. Same as Brayton and Malcolm. Not privateers.
Ray_MXS wrote:
Mookie and Brayton is on a team, so no, not privateers. They have hired mechanics, a semi and a crew that takes care of everything for...
Mookie and Brayton is on a team, so no, not privateers. They have hired mechanics, a semi and a crew that takes care of everything for them. Dean has himself and his dad out of a sprinter.
Last year at Daytona they were referring to Brayton as a "privateer"
Ray_MXS
1/7/2019 9:44am
tprice07 wrote:
Yeah that's not right.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
1/7/2019 10:27am
level wrote:
Full factory bike from husky and help with transportation and few other things and pits next to the team. However no salary etc. So not really...
Full factory bike from husky and help with transportation and few other things and pits next to the team.
However no salary etc.
So not really on a team but does have support especially the bike which is probably most important. Does this classify him as a privateer? By the way love this kid.
he is a self funded effort (privateer venture) with factory support
diz330
1/7/2019 10:47am
diz330 wrote:
Need to bring Ricky and Ralph up to speed on this. They talked like he was draining his bank account to be out there. I'm sure...
Need to bring Ricky and Ralph up to speed on this. They talked like he was draining his bank account to be out there. I'm sure he will still make more $ this year in 17 weeks than many of us will all year.
#RZRNick wrote:
Do you have a very real chance of breaking your neck every time you clock in? I don't this it's fair to compare a typical job...
Do you have a very real chance of breaking your neck every time you clock in?

I don't this it's fair to compare a typical job salary, and I think the reality is that after all the expenses, if Dean was 100% healthy, risking life and limb multiple times a week, is doing significantly better .

And what happens when something goes wrong?

Just saying, these guys risk it all and deserve more than they're getting, ALL of THEM, IMO.
mxb2 wrote:
Police,fireman, coal.miners etc risk their lives everyday.
Yes I do actually. There are risks in every labour related profession. And am self employed. If I get hurt I'm going broke. Fast.

The Shop

tprice07
1/7/2019 11:23am
tprice07 wrote:
Ray_MXS wrote:
Yeah that's not right.
I agree.

So actually Dean's bike goes in the Husky rig and I believe they are helping him out a lot now that Osborne is out. Dean is still running a lot of his parts because he has tested on them. I don't think he has Osborne's suspension or anything.

I'll be curious to see what happens throughout the season with Dean and his "team"
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
1/7/2019 12:11pm
From what I gather, Wilson is basically on a factory bike now, getting all of the resources he needs. But (and I really like and respect this part of it) rather than abandon the many sponsors that helped him get through the off-season and mount a racing effort for 2019, he honoring his agreements and sticking with the people who stuck with him.

He's still repping both Husky and Rockstar so their happy, and I think if he keeps it up, the necessary resources will keep flowing in his direction. Feels very similar to the way TwoTwo Motorsports started out or even going way back to when Yamaha threw John Dowd onto a full factory bike back in 1994 but the livery was all still Team Boyesen.
aees
1/7/2019 12:20pm
So let's see:
Suspension guy? NO
Electronic guy? NO
Engine guy? NO
Practice mechanic? NO
Dedicated factory track? NO
Find sponsors himself? YES
Have to plan every trip and book tickets etc? YES
Funding everything? YES
Pits out of a van? YES

Has bike finance/help YES
Get some settings from Husky? YES

Equipment is far from what defines a factory ride. He is a privateer if you compare him to a factory effort. He gets more help then a true privateer though.
Beeby
1/7/2019 12:33pm
aees wrote:
So let's see: Suspension guy? NO Electronic guy? NO Engine guy? NO Practice mechanic? NO Dedicated factory track? NO Find sponsors himself? YES Have to plan...
So let's see:
Suspension guy? NO
Electronic guy? NO
Engine guy? NO
Practice mechanic? NO
Funding everything? YES
Pits out of a van? YES

Equipment is far from what defines a factory ride. He is a privateer if you compare him to a factory effort. He gets more help then a true privateer though.
If Deanos bike is being prepared and transported by the factory team then he has a yes to all those top three items above.

If he blows a motor or has another issue, Factory Husky are 100% getting him in the next race.
Motoxdoc
1/7/2019 12:34pm
I would call him a privateer with FULL factory support. He can pit out of his private sprinter but WITH the factory, next to their pits. He has complete access to factory equipment (complete with the option to run Zaco's "factory" forks).....but he's allowed to keep his private sponsors (other than Ignite...understandable, being a vape company. I would think even that would be another thing if it were solely CBD sups w/o the vape delivery method). Sounds like the best things about being a privateer mated with the best things about being a factory rider...the best of both worlds. Salary and bonuses are the unknowns. It seems to me that the 2019 Deano is sort of the 2018 Barcia. Coming into the season with his career hanging by a thread...then showing the industry that he isn't done yet! If Deano keeps it up another few rounds and history repeats itself, Deano should be signing a contract in the near future.
aees
1/7/2019 12:35pm
aees wrote:
So let's see: Suspension guy? NO Electronic guy? NO Engine guy? NO Practice mechanic? NO Dedicated factory track? NO Find sponsors himself? YES Have to plan...
So let's see:
Suspension guy? NO
Electronic guy? NO
Engine guy? NO
Practice mechanic? NO
Funding everything? YES
Pits out of a van? YES

Beeby wrote:
If Deanos bike is being prepared and transported by the factory team then he has a yes to all those top three items above. If he...
If Deanos bike is being prepared and transported by the factory team then he has a yes to all those top three items above.

If he blows a motor or has another issue, Factory Husky are 100% getting him in the next race.
He still has zero access to them on race days, that matters.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
1/7/2019 12:53pm
Seely/Roczen: Factory Honda
Brayton/Mookie: Factory Honda Support through Motoconcepts
Deano: High End Privateer, but still Privateer. Bike doesn't define it since here is (!) a production rule.
Motoxdoc
1/7/2019 12:57pm
aees wrote:
So let's see:
Suspension guy? NO
Electronic guy? NO
Engine guy? NO
Practice mechanic? NO
Funding everything? YES
Pits out of a van? YES

Beeby wrote:
If Deanos bike is being prepared and transported by the factory team then he has a yes to all those top three items above. If he...

aees wrote:
Where did you hear that Deano has "zero access" to Husky on race day?....or that if Deano needs help on race day, Husky has indicated that they'll hang him out to dry so-to-speak? Really? Not saying you're wrong....but it's hard to believe.
aees
1/7/2019 1:09pm
Beeby wrote:

aees wrote:
Motoxdoc wrote:
Where did you hear that Deano has "zero access" to Husky on race day?....or that if Deano needs help on race day, Husky has indicated that...
Where did you hear that Deano has "zero access" to Husky on race day?....or that if Deano needs help on race day, Husky has indicated that they'll hang him out to dry so-to-speak? Really? Not saying you're wrong....but it's hard to believe.
Maybe witbOsborne out, he get some support. But the guys supporting the husky team, are busy supporting - the husky team...

It takes time to read out electronics or suspension and to analyze it and discuss improvements that should go in between practices.

Beeby
1/7/2019 1:09pm
Beeby wrote:

aees wrote:
Motoxdoc wrote:
Where did you hear that Deano has "zero access" to Husky on race day?....or that if Deano needs help on race day, Husky has indicated that...
Yeah that doesn’t fit with what I read “When Osborne went down, the team called Dean and offered him the spot, but Wilson didn't want to move away from the sponsors he had backing his own effort. So instead, the factory team offered to take care of his bike, send him whatever parts he needs, and even pay some travel expenses just like they would do for a fill-in rider. But Dean still pits in his own setup—out of a sprinter van—and gets to keep all of his sponsor logos on his bike. At the end of the night, though, his bike will be wheeled over to the factory truck, and the team will take it back and work on it in the team race shop. He had boxes of parts sitting near his van yesterday, and he's parked right next to the team semi. Dean could take Osborne's forks, for example, but he's sticking with the forks he's been practicing on during the off-season.”

Sounds like he has all the support he needs to me
aees
1/7/2019 1:17pm
aees wrote:
Motoxdoc wrote:
Beeby wrote:
Yeah that doesn’t fit with what I read “When Osborne went down, the team called Dean and offered him the spot, but Wilson didn't want to...
Yeah that doesn’t fit with what I read “When Osborne went down, the team called Dean and offered him the spot, but Wilson didn't want to move away from the sponsors he had backing his own effort. So instead, the factory team offered to take care of his bike, send him whatever parts he needs, and even pay some travel expenses just like they would do for a fill-in rider. But Dean still pits in his own setup—out of a sprinter van—and gets to keep all of his sponsor logos on his bike. At the end of the night, though, his bike will be wheeled over to the factory truck, and the team will take it back and work on it in the team race shop. He had boxes of parts sitting near his van yesterday, and he's parked right next to the team semi. Dean could take Osborne's forks, for example, but he's sticking with the forks he's been practicing on during the off-season.”

You are talking about hardware. You can poor an amount of hardware over Deano, does not mean he can use it and optimize it for him.

Deano said it himself, he could not get enough 52mm CV forks he needed for all bikes so he stayed on 48mm. That shows wlhow much husky is willing to do.

And during race day, he still are not close to the resources a factory team has. Asking a question from his pit to husky pit is not the same thing as having 3-4 people analyzing data, riding style and bike behavior and suggesting improvements between every practice and race session.
1/7/2019 1:19pm
he is a self funded effort (privateer venture) with factory support
He is receiving Osborne's travel pay while Zach is off injured and has access to any part he wants from the factory Husqvarna team, including suspension if he wants it. Was also offered the fill in spot while Osborne is out.
Beeby
1/7/2019 1:24pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
Beeby wrote:
Yeah that doesn’t fit with what I read “When Osborne went down, the team called Dean and offered him the spot, but Wilson didn't want to...

aees wrote:
You are talking about hardware. You can poor an amount of hardware over Deano, does not mean he can use it and optimize it for him...
You are talking about hardware. You can poor an amount of hardware over Deano, does not mean he can use it and optimize it for him.

Deano said it himself, he could not get enough 52mm CV forks he needed for all bikes so he stayed on 48mm. That shows wlhow much husky is willing to do.

And during race day, he still are not close to the resources a factory team has. Asking a question from his pit to husky pit is not the same thing as having 3-4 people analyzing data, riding style and bike behavior and suggesting improvements between every practice and race session.
So they offer him the factory ride out of the factory truck and he says he wants to continue the setup he has to honour his sponsors (which also appear to be both Husky and Rockstar) and you don’t think he has access to the full might of Husky’s resources.

Come on. It’s win win for Husky. He is leading races on a bike that the commentators are telling everyone is a privateer setup and telling his hero story. Nothing sells bikes better than the imagine of someone winning on something you and I could buy (whether that is reality or not)
crockett
1/7/2019 1:31pm
What does it matter? Did you guys forget we are living in 2019. Where you can be anything you want. She can be a he, he can be a it, he that was a she can be a nothing. And right now I am a factory Honda rider practicing on a Kawazuki supported steel frame privateer 3 stroke Yamaha.
1/7/2019 1:59pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
Beeby wrote:

aees wrote:
You are talking about hardware. You can poor an amount of hardware over Deano, does not mean he can use it and optimize it for him...

I heard he doesn’t want the 52mm forks and neither do the factory guys but the factory guys are being guided to use 52mm by factory
p3fab
1/7/2019 3:38pm
I don’t really care what he is called I’m a fan. The dude seems to work hard and be very self motivated. He seems to understand social media and sponsers very well which has put him is a very unique postition that we may see more of in The feature.
Dust601
1/7/2019 3:56pm
It doesn’t matter to me one, way or other. I’ll root for him no matter what people want to classify him, but just pointing out a couple of things talked about in article posted that some people seem confused about.

It said after Zach went down Dean had the option to use 52’s, but stuck with 48 because he practiced, and was comfortable with them.

Also said Husky offered to work on his bike, and get it from stop to stop. Not sure he’s using that option since I just saw his Instagram story replacing the clutch. Also stated they are helping him pay for lodging.
Beeby
1/7/2019 4:12pm
Dust601 wrote:
It doesn’t matter to me one, way or other. I’ll root for him no matter what people want to classify him, but just pointing out a...
It doesn’t matter to me one, way or other. I’ll root for him no matter what people want to classify him, but just pointing out a couple of things talked about in article posted that some people seem confused about.

It said after Zach went down Dean had the option to use 52’s, but stuck with 48 because he practiced, and was comfortable with them.

Also said Husky offered to work on his bike, and get it from stop to stop. Not sure he’s using that option since I just saw his Instagram story replacing the clutch. Also stated they are helping him pay for lodging.
I wondered if the clutch change was a practice bike?
Dust601
1/7/2019 6:15pm
Dust601 wrote:
It doesn’t matter to me one, way or other. I’ll root for him no matter what people want to classify him, but just pointing out a...

Beeby wrote:
I wondered if the clutch change was a practice bike?
I hadn’t thought of that it could be. I didn’t get a great look at the bike while watching. After I posted that I also started thinking he might stick with his van until they leave west coast also.

Was mainly just pointing out that the article said he has the option to use team semi if he wants though. Since there seemed to be a little confusion there.

Post a reply to: Wilson a privateer? Kinda? You decide.

The Latest