Wilson a privateer? Kinda? You decide.

Related:
Create New Tag

1/6/2019 2:38 PM

Full factory bike from husky and help with transportation and few other things and pits next to the team.
However no salary etc.
So not really on a team but does have support especially the bike which is probably most important. Does this classify him as a privateer? By the way love this kid.

|

1/6/2019 2:59 PM

factory lease motor isn't it?

|

1/6/2019 3:03 PM

He is not a "privateer" like Ricky Ryan was back in the day when he won Daytona, that is for sure.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

1/6/2019 3:05 PM

Not even close to the same situation he was in a few years back when he showed up on a Yamaha in a box van. He is certainly a very comfortably living "privateer". Deano is a wicked dude! His Grandpa Earl video definitely increased his fan base a lot!

|

1/6/2019 3:07 PM

I wouldn't call him a privateer. I'm assuming his equipment is very similar, if not identical to the setup he ran last year for the exception of a few private factory parts, but at the end of the day it's nothing catastrophically different where it feels different than his old bike. I'm getting the "lets just go have fun and race" vibe from Dean since he isn't surrounded by team members and the big rig and fans and he can just focus on his riding without outside distractions.

I'd call it a factory supported effort on his own dime.

|

1/6/2019 3:10 PM

There needs to be a new category added. “Factory support”. Slap in the face to real privateers. Not hating just reality of how it is now. Not sure of what’s out there for bonuses or contingencies and the like but really unfair if he would get that before the 3 digit guy literally paying to be there

|

1/6/2019 3:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2019 3:13 PM

Huge difference in having a 95% factory bike and your dad cleaning filters to having multiple factory bikes and a crew catering to your every whim. Dean has a ton more to worry about than any factory guy. I can't imagine how tough it is for he and his dad and mechanic having to figure out the logistics of getting around the country and making it to races on your own, to setting up a pit area and making it through tech inspection every week.

|

1/6/2019 3:14 PM

I do not think we can talk about a private pilot with so much support from the factory but still he was able to organize his set-up and his luck. It's almost a disgrace that he's not on Husqvarna's payroll. I guess Rockstar makes up for it.

|

1/6/2019 3:16 PM

So I read that Wilson turned down the Husky fill in factory ride because he wanted to stay loyal to his sponsors. If that's the case is there any fill in ride he would take? Factory Husky seems like the best fit OEM and energy drink wise.

|

1/6/2019 3:20 PM

Where did you read he turned down the fill in ride?

|

1/6/2019 3:30 PM

VicDaMoan03 wrote:

So I read that Wilson turned down the Husky fill in factory ride because he wanted to stay loyal to his sponsors. If that's the case is there any fill in ride he would take? Factory Husky seems like the best fit OEM and energy drink wise.

There’s a lot of factors that play into him switching over to the OEM team, most importantly the short notice he would have had.

Second, ZO16 wont be out for that long it sounds, so Deano probably is just going to stick with his program and his sponsors until he can get a longer term ride, I would assume.

|

1/6/2019 3:37 PM

jgmxdad251 wrote:

Where did you read he turned down the fill in ride?

He stated that in a Racer X interview, all the details are in the article on his factory support.

Deano Rocks!

|

1/6/2019 3:42 PM

Need to bring Ricky and Ralph up to speed on this. They talked like he was draining his bank account to be out there. I'm sure he will still make more $ this year in 17 weeks than many of us will all year.

|

1/6/2019 3:44 PM

diz330 wrote:

Need to bring Ricky and Ralph up to speed on this. They talked like he was draining his bank account to be out there. I'm sure he will still make more $ this year in 17 weeks than many of us will all year.

Yeah no shit. Heard it 27 times how poor Deano was selling T-shirt’s and hoodies so he could be out there!!

|

1/6/2019 3:57 PM

The days of the true privateer are gone

|

1/6/2019 3:57 PM

|

1/6/2019 3:59 PM

MrKnowNothing wrote:

The days of the true privateer are gone

That’s a good thing isn’t it?

|

1/6/2019 4:03 PM

diz330 wrote:

mauidex wrote:

Yeah no shit. Heard it 27 times how poor Deano was selling T-shirt’s and hoodies so he could be out there!!

I couldn't help but laugh ? every time it was said...

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

1/6/2019 5:18 PM

ocscottie wrote:

He is not a "privateer" like Ricky Ryan was back in the day when he won Daytona, that is for sure.

Yep. I agree with you .
But that Arnold Plant built motor R Ryan was using pulled like a freight train from the bottom. Even by todays standards!

|

1/6/2019 6:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2019 6:20 PM

I didnt read through the answers but
Should have been a poll, and No not a privateer in my mind
Maybe technically, but not a traditional privateer for sure.
Good rider though i hope he finds that inner beast mode that he had his last year in 250's
Reminded me of Cooper on a 250 or Osborne
Just this something extra, its awsome

|

1/6/2019 6:36 PM

Maybe his bike isn't a privateer bike but the rest of his program looks like it is to me. He's out of a sprinter with his dad. He's chasing down and servicing sponsors to fund getting to all the rounds, putting together his bike details and getting a favour off his mate to swing off a pit board for him.

Just because his mate on the pitboard is a former championship winning mechanic, the engine builder is factory Husky and his sponsors are multimillion dollar corporations like Rockstar doesnt make his program any less private than the other guys. He's still doing all the legwork to put it together. He's just got a few better contacts and bit more a headstart than the guys in C Practice. He's still doing the legwork and that has to be respected.

I also like that he was confident and loyal enough not to drop everyone that helped him in the lead up to A1 when he had the opportunity to go back to Rockstar. It must've been really tempting but its good to see the hard work paid off because he got more coverage than almost anybody at A1, including the podium guys.

|

1/6/2019 6:41 PM

mauidex wrote:

I was getting so pissed hearing Ralph say that over and over. Talking down on Deano like he’s living in a tent behind Anaheim Stadium. Can’t stand Ralph.

|

1/7/2019 12:27 AM

He sure is a privateer in my mind. Sure he has some factory motor parts on his bike and Rockstar Husky built it for him but most of the stuff on that bike is stuff anyone can buy. Its not like power on a 450 was the issue anyway.

He brought his own sponsor deals together, he pits out of his own van with his dad. He doesnt have a team that does all that stuff for him

Sure he´s probably one of the best supported privateers in history, but he´s still a privateer.

|

1/7/2019 12:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/7/2019 12:33 AM

He has a factory service engine, that is about it right? Considering that the engine isn't that important in that class i would look at him as a high-end privateer at the moment. I mean he has off the shelf WP kit suspension that janky people like me had on my KTM. And he pits out of a Sprinter.

|

1/7/2019 7:11 AM

Motofinne wrote:

He has a factory service engine, that is about it right? Considering that the engine isn't that important in that class i would look at him as a high-end privateer at the moment. I mean he has off the shelf WP kit suspension that janky people like me had on my KTM. And he pits out of a Sprinter.

I was surprised he was using the 48mm cone valve forks and not the 52’s.. I guess you got to use what is given to you.
Deano IMO is the people’s champ.

|

1/7/2019 7:35 AM

diz330 wrote:

Do you have a very real chance of breaking your neck every time you clock in?

I don't this it's fair to compare a typical job salary, and I think the reality is that after all the expenses, if Dean was 100% healthy, risking life and limb multiple times a week, is doing significantly better .

And what happens when something goes wrong?

Just saying, these guys risk it all and deserve more than they're getting, ALL of THEM, IMO.

|

1/7/2019 8:05 AM

From what I understand from google research is his bike is full factory from husky. When he’s done riding they take it and do there thing just like if it was Zach Osborne’s bike. I may have read it wrong but that’s what I take from it and if that’s the case then good. He deserves to be on a great bike.

|

1/7/2019 8:55 AM

From what I understand only the engine is "factory", everything else anyone can buy except a few odd parts.

This sure doesn't look very "factory" to me laughing

Photo

|

1/7/2019 9:16 AM

He's a factory supported rider. Same as Brayton and Malcolm. Not privateers.

|

1/7/2019 9:30 AM

tprice07 wrote:

He's a factory supported rider. Same as Brayton and Malcolm. Not privateers.

Mookie and Brayton is on a team, so no, not privateers. They have hired mechanics, a semi and a crew that takes care of everything for them. Dean has himself and his dad out of a sprinter.

|