Will we see street legal two-strokes in California again? Maybe, learn more about Husqvarna/KTM's port injected two-strokes....

ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/15/2017 10:18pm
Quick little interview I did while in British Columbia riding the new Husqvarna TE 250i and TE 300i...we talk about the port injection technology and how clean they really run...like maybe getting street legal two-strokes back in California?

I may have just produced one of the longest titles we've had for a forum topic too...ha

http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Whats-the-i-in-TE-250i-Talking-a…
|
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
7/15/2017 10:26pm
They have to pull head out of ass (CA gov) and accept the fact it's clean. Would be sweet.
gsxr6
7/15/2017 10:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2017 10:56pm
Makes u wonder why they don't put the injector on the exhaust side to coencide with just before the port is closed. Probably be some heat related design issues to overcome, but if done properly it should be even cleaner than using the transfer port. Also, a catalytic converter and Reed based air injection reaction for the exhaust could make these clean enough for the street with a few more lbs. Exhaust gas recirculation might be another way to reburn some of the extra hc, with a side benefit of lowered combustion temps and less pinging. As it is the quarter turn throttle stops green sticker bikes come with, that virtually nobody leaves intact, is proof that the epa as it is currently constructed is a farce. Vw isn't the only company with special mapping for emissions testing. Kawis revert to a tamer ignition map in neutral for sound testing, then are super loud on the track. Again a farce. Ktm is to be commended for keeping the two stroke relevant.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/15/2017 10:54pm
gsxr6 wrote:
Makes u wonder why they don't put the injector on the exhaust side to coencide with just before the port is closed. Probably be some heat...
Makes u wonder why they don't put the injector on the exhaust side to coencide with just before the port is closed. Probably be some heat related design issues to overcome, but if done properly it should be even cleaner than using the transfer port. Also, a catalytic converter and Reed based air injection reaction for the exhaust could make these clean enough for the street with a few more lbs. Exhaust gas recirculation might be another way to reburn some of the extra hc, with a side benefit of lowered combustion temps and less pinging. As it is the quarter turn throttle stops green sticker bikes come with, that virtually nobody leaves intact, is proof that the epa as it is currently constructed is a farce. Vw isn't the only company with special mapping for emissions testing. Kawis revert to a tamer ignition map in neutral for sound testing, then are super loud on the track. Again a farce. Ktm is to be commended for keeping the two stroke relevant.
There are models in Europe that have cats on them for street eligibility.
gsxr6
7/15/2017 11:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2017 11:12pm
gsxr6 wrote:
Makes u wonder why they don't put the injector on the exhaust side to coencide with just before the port is closed. Probably be some heat...
ML512 wrote:
But will Americans pay 450 exc money for one? That is a hard sell and I like two strokes. Hard to beat a four stroke for dual sporting at this point. Probably giving up 15 hp from a 250 tpi with emission equipment intact and a 450 exc. At most likely a similar weight I'm guessing? And u just know the two stroke will need more top ends with street riding involved than a four stroke would. If I was Ktm I would be looking into a closed course, no holds barred version as a sort of showcase for the tech. And they should put a serious racer who is capable of top ten on it to see it's true potential. A reverse Doug Henry if u will.

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/15/2017 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2017 11:17pm
gsxr6 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
gsxr6 wrote:
But will Americans pay 450 exc money for one? That is a hard sell and I like two strokes. Hard to beat a four stroke for...
But will Americans pay 450 exc money for one? That is a hard sell and I like two strokes. Hard to beat a four stroke for dual sporting at this point. Probably giving up 15 hp from a 250 tpi with emission equipment intact and a 450 exc. At most likely a similar weight I'm guessing? And u just know the two stroke will need more top ends with street riding involved than a four stroke would. If I was Ktm I would be looking into a closed course, no holds barred version as a sort of showcase for the tech. And they should put a serious racer who is capable of top ten on it to see it's true potential. A reverse Doug Henry if u will.
I believe you'll be seeing them get their world enduro guys and extreme enduro guys on them within the next 6-8 months. I saw a clip that one of their factory guys is racing it in a world enduro now, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm going to say moto versions won't be around for another year or two.
fox1nz
7/15/2017 11:18pm
Did you ride it ML?
mark911
7/16/2017 2:00am
As long as oil is still being consumed in the combustion process I doubt it'll meet emission requirements. Just too much unburned hydrocarbons. A cat converter would help but won't it last the required years of service due to overheating (again a byproduct of unburned hydrocarbons).
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/16/2017 6:24am
fox1nz wrote:
Did you ride it ML?
Yup, there'll be a piece on that next week.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
7/16/2017 6:32am
Will the oil tank cap get in the way of a Scotts damper?
And any idea when port injection will come to the 125?
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
7/16/2017 6:33am
mark911 wrote:
As long as oil is still being consumed in the combustion process I doubt it'll meet emission requirements. Just too much unburned hydrocarbons. A cat converter...
As long as oil is still being consumed in the combustion process I doubt it'll meet emission requirements. Just too much unburned hydrocarbons. A cat converter would help but won't it last the required years of service due to overheating (again a byproduct of unburned hydrocarbons).
Technically 4 strokes are burning some oil as well. It's not impossible for a 2 stroke to pass emissions.
kkawboy14
7/16/2017 7:11am
That would kill the 4 stroke bikes sales!
7/16/2017 8:21am
I'd buy one if ktm comes out with like a 500 twin in the rc390 chassis it must be a twin though.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/16/2017 8:24am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2017 8:28am

Dont current two strokes emit similar levels, if not the same, than four strokes per US standards?
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
7/16/2017 8:50am
Electric streetbikes will be the norm before two strokes are again.

ML512 starting a two stroke thread? You must be wanting some Vital overtime pay this weekend. Tongue
rongi#401
7/17/2017 1:35am
im about to get a 600 dollar craigslist bike and save another 600 for the fine and let the impound keep it. if they catch me
ns503
7/17/2017 3:52am
mark911 wrote:
As long as oil is still being consumed in the combustion process I doubt it'll meet emission requirements. Just too much unburned hydrocarbons. A cat converter...
Lots of two strokes yet, in the water and on the snow.

Etec has it nailed pretty good.
resetjet
7/17/2017 6:07am
This bike would never pass. Still unburnt fuel going out the pipe and a far cry from direct injection.
all they really did is inject the fuel. Now running 80 to 1 and
Perfect jetting will help big time but not enough. Should be lively though.
Wondering how she performs vs the fc. A true di street legal 2 stroke would be a mistake. I agree on closed course idea.
agn5009
7/17/2017 8:36am
fox1nz wrote:
Did you ride it ML?
ML512 wrote:
Yup, there'll be a piece on that next week.
You're making us wait a week???? Have you no heart?
newmann
7/17/2017 2:02pm
2 strokes are dead ~Vital

Post a reply to: Will we see street legal two-strokes in California again? Maybe, learn more about Husqvarna/KTM's port injected two-strokes....

The Latest