Will we ever see another.....

7/8/2018 10:00am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2018 10:05pm
Rookie coming out of the amateur ranks and just dominate like Carmichael and Stewart did? A lot of guys were slated to be the next big thing but just haven’t gotten it done. We’re we just spoiled by these 2 or will it ever happen again?
|
H4L
7/8/2018 10:40am
If you look at any sports at the highest pro level with athletes they will be the best in the world, but it's rare to have those superstars that only come along every so often. They often change the sport they enter for the better & bring it to another level. I hope to see another RC or JS in my lifetime in SX / MX. Don't see anybody coming through the ranks at the moment that may lay claim to the next big thing.
downard254
7/8/2018 10:43am
I'd say there's a very..................
Racer111
7/8/2018 11:06am
AC92 was supposed to be that guy, but it never happened.

I’m a huge fan of RC and JS7, but McGrath’s story is LEGEND. RC and JS grew up in the sport and were groomed for it. MC didn’t start riding until he was 14-15 years old. Then traveled to Seattle on his old dime in a small pick up and won the 125 class. Spent 2 years at Pro Circuit and won 2 titles and then came in to the 250 class and won 4 straight titles. Won 7 titles total in SX and 72 Main wins. Never finished lower than 3rd in points his entire career. This I know we will never see again.
cmotodad
7/8/2018 11:23am
JMO but when RC came in, shortly thereafter the level was upped in fitness. Coming in now, many guys have a good program and have been groomed for a few years. Having the desire RC had to not lose and be willing to put it out there when needed is not showing in the new crop of racers. The speed now is insane and very deep. When you see lap times so close in the top 10, it makes it difficult to dominate. Plus injuries seem to show up more often than in the past.

The Shop

7/8/2018 11:24am
I know I’ll probably get shit on for this, but I honestly believe that if four strokes never happened, over the past decade or so, we would have seen certain prodigies distance themselves from the competition on a level similar to RC and JS. The thumpers have leveled the playing field significantly and diminished the advantage of exceptional skill.
BR8ES
7/8/2018 11:25am
No doubt McGrath was great, I just don't view him the same as RC and Stewart.. A neat thing about McGrath was that he spent time as a magazine test rider... the extent or 's one not totally sure. Pretty sure it was MXA or Dirt Bike, remember it around 1990 and the paraphrased caption of " young tester Jeremy McGrath on the booming KTM 600 LC4..."
TeamGreen
7/8/2018 11:27am
Racer111 wrote:
AC92 was supposed to be that guy, but it never happened. I’m a huge fan of RC and JS7, but McGrath’s story is LEGEND. RC and...

I’m a huge fan of RC and JS7, but McGrath’s story is LEGEND. RC and JS grew up in the sport and were groomed for it. MC didn’t start riding until he was 14-15 years old. Then traveled to Seattle on his old dime in a small pick up and won the 125 class. Spent 2 years at Pro Circuit and won 2 titles and then came in to the 250 class and won 4 straight titles. Won 7 titles total in SX and 72 Main wins. Never finished lower than 3rd in points his entire career. This I know we will never see again.
I’m gonna have to concur with the over-all view point that’s conveyed by the gentleman runnng the 111.
slipdog
7/8/2018 11:50am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2018 11:52am
Racer111 wrote:
AC92 was supposed to be that guy, but it never happened. I’m a huge fan of RC and JS7, but McGrath’s story is LEGEND. RC and...

TeamGreen wrote:
I’m gonna have to concur with the over-all view point that’s conveyed by the gentleman runnng the 111.
Then you'd both be wrong because he didn't win The race in Seattle in '89 nor did he win the title in '90. He did win the round at Vegas in '90 though and that's when the greatness started...
slipdog
7/8/2018 11:56am
Oh, I forgot the winky guy... WinkWinkWink
7/8/2018 11:59am
Carmichael is credited with changing the game with regards to work ethic and training, Stewart with regards to his riding style.
We will possibly see it if there is a substantial change to the machinery/technology, e.g. moving over the e-bikes. Someone could come through the youth and hit the adult scene with dominance having grown up with the 'new tech'.
level
7/8/2018 12:01pm
Carmichael is credited with changing the game with regards to work ethic and training, Stewart with regards to his riding style. We will possibly see it...
Carmichael is credited with changing the game with regards to work ethic and training, Stewart with regards to his riding style.
We will possibly see it if there is a substantial change to the machinery/technology, e.g. moving over the e-bikes. Someone could come through the youth and hit the adult scene with dominance having grown up with the 'new tech'.
Bingo. Excellent point. Carmichael new how important fitness was and was one of the first to really take fitness to another level and was a big reason he was so dominant.
It is so hard to ride fast for 10 minutes much less 35.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
7/8/2018 12:14pm
The only kid I see dominating in the foreseeable future is Jett Reynolds, but there's always a chance he doesn't deliver. Given the competitiveness of the sport, I doubt we'll ever see RC/MC/Bubba like dominance from anyone. We may see riders develop into a Tomac or Roczen and win multiple titles, but I don't see anything happening similar to RC's perfect seasons and undefeated championship run.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
7/8/2018 12:33pm
Not one of the guys on the track right now come anywhere near what we saw from RC/Stewart/MC during their careers but give it time...someone will come along that dominates

I really thought Tomac may have started to reach that point this summer but it’s hard to say when it’s such a depleted field. And now he is on a 2 race losing streak to Marvin, who I feel is a great rider but nowhere near the legendary status those other 3 achieved
SwingHard
7/8/2018 1:02pm
Unsure of his exact stats but, I believe Villapoto was pretty successful right out if the gate?
7/8/2018 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2018 2:16pm
The only kid I see dominating in the foreseeable future is Jett Reynolds, but there's always a chance he doesn't deliver. Given the competitiveness of the...
The only kid I see dominating in the foreseeable future is Jett Reynolds, but there's always a chance he doesn't deliver. Given the competitiveness of the sport, I doubt we'll ever see RC/MC/Bubba like dominance from anyone. We may see riders develop into a Tomac or Roczen and win multiple titles, but I don't see anything happening similar to RC's perfect seasons and undefeated championship run.
As good as Jet has been in amateurs he got beat straight up this year by Max Voland and ended up wrecking himself hard a couple times trying to match Volands pace. There are a few very good young guys coming up I just don’t see them dominating like legends of the past for a couple reasons. The points change allows older riders to continue competing in the 250 class and asking an 18 year old to come out and win almost effortlessly like RC or JS7 did against grown men is a tall task. With the elevation of training methods over the last 15 years I just don’t see a teenager being able to go 30+2 quicker than grown men who have fully devoloped bodies. AC had speed but his body growing like it did made it impossible to train how Aldon needed him to train IMO. Good as forker is as a young guy he couldn’t come out lighting up the class. I think we start to see more guys stay in amatures longer like Justin cooper before the factory teams bring them up which is partly why I believe cooper has made a successful transition. Maybe then a guy will come along and become a pro at 20+ to have a dominating career?

Another point that can be argued is we are in a transition period since the points changes for 250 class that’s keeping very talented older riders of the class to stay down the last few years leading to a depleted 450 field. How would jmart, amart, Osborn, and others transitioned to 450s earlier changed the landscape of 250 class for young guns?
Tiki
Fantasy
1774th
7/8/2018 2:08pm
Rookie coming out of the amateur ranks and just dominate like Carmichael and Stewart did? A lot of guys were slated to be the next big...
Rookie coming out of the amateur ranks and just dominate like Carmichael and Stewart did? A lot of guys were slated to be the next big thing but just haven’t gotten it done. We’re we just spoiled by these 2 or will it ever happen again?
Yes. Laws of averages, Yes.

You didn't say when. It could be a generation from now. But yes.
Sideways
7/8/2018 2:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2018 2:42pm
In our lifetime? Probably.
Til the end of time or motocross as a sport? Absolutely.
7/8/2018 2:52pm
It seems almost that guys like Osborne (didn’t have the greatest start) but was able to stay afloat and come back to the U.S. much more mature physically and mentally. If he would have done well the first time he’d be in the 450’s but I feel he has an advantage over the 18/19 year olds out there. Or it’s just that dad strength!
TeamGreen
7/8/2018 2:52pm
Racer111 wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
slipdog wrote:
Then you'd both be wrong because he didn't win The race in Seattle in '89 nor did he win the title in '90. He did win...
Then you'd both be wrong because he didn't win The race in Seattle in '89 nor did he win the title in '90. He did win the round at Vegas in '90 though and that's when the greatness started...
Hence...
"Over-all"
"View point"

Pfffft. Jersey Mike's must be using some whacky chemicals in the bread.
RJMX834
7/8/2018 3:13pm
SwingHard wrote:
Unsure of his exact stats but, I believe Villapoto was pretty successful right out if the gate?
Overall race wins i would say he wasn't quite as successful, although he still has quite the numbers racked up for the short time he was racing. But overall success i feel was close. 6 450 championships combine. 4 sx in a row and 2 outdoor. He never lost a 450 championship in which he raced the entire series. 2011 he won everything there was to win, including MXDN and MEC. Although his individual accolades don't show pure dominance as far as race wins and maybe seconds ahead of second at times, his overall career in my opinion was dominate.
Flip109
7/8/2018 4:32pm
I know I’ll probably get shit on for this, but I honestly believe that if four strokes never happened, over the past decade or so, we...
I know I’ll probably get shit on for this, but I honestly believe that if four strokes never happened, over the past decade or so, we would have seen certain prodigies distance themselves from the competition on a level similar to RC and JS. The thumpers have leveled the playing field significantly and diminished the advantage of exceptional skill.
Completely with this. The little mistakes riding fourstrokes fix, cut down on the little mistakes high level talent can make up for. I saw it first hand when the transition took place. Guys I could easily walk away from on 125’s, we’re not so easy to walk away from on 250fs.
7/8/2018 5:08pm
Racer111 wrote:

^^What he said! MC ruled!
SEEMEFIRST
7/8/2018 5:45pm
Already happened. Christian Pulisec.
rutsmash
7/8/2018 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2018 6:50pm
I'm guessing you mean AMA only but otherwise, Herlings? More like Stewart because he is fast as hell but can't dominate all the time because he gets hurt. But when he is not hurt, what's his win percentage? 70, 80%
7/8/2018 7:38pm
Jett Reynolds is the next kid that has the ability, but you never know how things will play out in MX. He is blazing fast and consistent. Seems grounded and hard working. Can't wait for him to turn pro.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
7/8/2018 7:59pm
It’s a totally different world now. Everyone has the formula figured out unlike when RC put it all together. There are no secrets anymore. And the newest generation of kids grow up in a world that doesn’t really produce the work ethic that the formula requires.
akillerwombat
7/9/2018 8:11am
The way Tomac was dominating those first few races on the Honda a couple of years ago showed us that we will without a doubt see another RC or JS... but it also showed us how much harder that will be to pull of now.
loftyair
7/9/2018 8:23am
Mc rode moto way before 15, just not in competition. But he was dang good.
So most here don't think Bailey, o'mara, Johnson and emig were in that great of shape? Ha
mxb2
7/9/2018 8:33am
After rc, the mold was broke. Baddest mofo ever to race a mx bike.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
7/9/2018 8:38am
I think we will
See More Dominant Riders come up
, with the schools MTF, SOUTH OF THE BORDER etc .
And the way that the kids now days are
Born and bred to Rip and shred
I think it's even more likely.

Post a reply to: Will we ever see another.....

The Latest