Will the purses improve now?

Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 3:31am
So I was really into the east west shootout...awesome racing. An incredibly fast track and high speeds...these guys were risking their lives out there for a massive money purse!
Wait....$5000?

$5000? You would think a world class event under the lights in Vegas would pay more than the retail price of a new YZ250F. That's right- you couldn't even buy a bike with the winnings. I know they gave a truck too...but c'mon. I would think at least $25,000- five times that amount.

There is no way anyone can justify a $5k purse to me with the money this sport is pulling in. The outdoors is even worse. It's like this sport is just a giant ATM for...somebody...not the riders!

The purses need to change- NOW! Maybe this movement needs to start with the fans.
|
APLMAN
5/13/2008 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2008 12:22pm
Doesn't/didn't that "prequel" race that Breker used to put on pay $10K+ to the winner? And that was back when Jeff Ward was racing it!!!!!!
P
5/13/2008 12:23pm
If the purse does go up (which hopefully it will) the question is will the promotors up the ticket prices to cover it?

P
APLMAN
5/13/2008 12:24pm
P wrote:
If the purse does go up (which hopefully it will) the question is will the promotors up the ticket prices to cover it?

P
I think there is a better chance of the ticket prices going up, and the purse staying the same or going down.....!
5/13/2008 12:29pm
if i KNEW that the riders were making more money because my tickets cost more, i wouldnt have a problem with it. that should make the racing better because they have something to race for. notice how much they really care about winning untill the last few rounds. it almost seems like they count themselves out untill the end when they see that they could possible make the championship. i bet kdub wouldnt of thought a week before A1 that he was going to be in the running for a championship.

The Shop

SCYRacing
5/13/2008 12:42pm
I just read an article in the June issue of Motorcyclist about the old Superbikers series, the purse was $20,000. In '81! I realize they had ABC and such, but damn...
mx836
5/13/2008 12:43pm
if i KNEW that the riders were making more money because my tickets cost more, i wouldnt have a problem with it. that should make the...
if i KNEW that the riders were making more money because my tickets cost more, i wouldnt have a problem with it. that should make the racing better because they have something to race for. notice how much they really care about winning untill the last few rounds. it almost seems like they count themselves out untill the end when they see that they could possible make the championship. i bet kdub wouldnt of thought a week before A1 that he was going to be in the running for a championship.
Agreed. If Windham would have know all along that he had a shot at the title, he would have been riding much harder in the beginning of the season.
APLMAN
5/13/2008 12:44pm
if i KNEW that the riders were making more money because my tickets cost more, i wouldnt have a problem with it. that should make the...
I think the manufacturers pay something like 50-100K for win bonuses, so the idea that they would pick up the pace and try to win a race for a few more thousand doesn't really sound feasible........
APLMAN
5/13/2008 12:45pm
mx836 wrote:
Agreed. If Windham would have know all along that he had a shot at the title, he would have been riding much harder in the beginning...
Agreed. If Windham would have know all along that he had a shot at the title, he would have been riding much harder in the beginning of the season.
That doesn't really have anything to do with the purse, though.....
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
5/13/2008 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:57pm

This chicks hair and this thread have a lot in common.
5/13/2008 1:19pm
if the purse was higher, there would be more riders racing harder in the beginning, and all season. i used kevin as an example.
wonder if the purse was higher, would the rider salaries/ bonuses go down?
oh well, makes it better for the privateer.
5/13/2008 1:19pm
This thread is hideous?

Does anybody know where I can find a breakdown of where a dollar spent at a Supercross goes? Kind of like they have at the Supermarket?

The lesson here is entrenched monopoly structures always reward the select few.
It's ironic because big purses would draw more sponsors!
$5k is a joke, sorry. And with decent purses riders would be able to have longer careers, instead of fighting over a handful of factory rides.
txmxer
5/13/2008 1:58pm
watching the footage from the awards banquet and seeing those giant checks with pretty small numbers was pathetic.

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/13/2008 2:10pm
I'm not defending the purse, but there was also a Toyota truck on the line for the winner of the East/West Shootout.

Dungey mentioned that it only took him 11 months to get the one that he'd won the previous year.
APLMAN
5/13/2008 2:23pm
GuyB wrote:
I'm not defending the purse, but there was also a Toyota truck on the line for the winner of the East/West Shootout. Dungey mentioned that it...
I'm not defending the purse, but there was also a Toyota truck on the line for the winner of the East/West Shootout.

Dungey mentioned that it only took him 11 months to get the one that he'd won the previous year.
Hopefully he learned his lesson this year and just drove one of the display models home!!!!!!!!!
5/13/2008 2:34pm
I checked around to see what other events pay a $5000 purse.

I found one! The Nevada State Championship Demolition Derby with the purse put up by the Tonopah Truck Auto Plaza!!!! Sweet!:

May 2, 2007 (FPRC) -- Have you heard? Word is spreading throughout the nation as excited drivers from all over the United States are signing up to participate in the largst Nevada State Championship Demolition Derby of all times. This vent will be the richest Demolition Derby in West Coast History. Jim Castimore, proud owner of the Tonopah Truck-Auto Plaza in beautiful Tonopah, Nevada has set an exciting new race standard with a guaranteed prize purse of $5,000 to the winner.
Jabjr222
5/13/2008 3:35pm
I have to agree with the statement that big purses draw more sponsors (and spectators). There is that element of "this is a big event with big dollars and I want my business associated with that" and it is really about ego. But which comes first, more dollars or more sponsors?

Would higher purses help hold onto top talent? Or are the talented guys just always going to end up with the big contracts so purse money is an afterthought?

Ultimately, the growth of the our sport is tied to the number of eyes seeing it. Of course we have all the endemics but we need the non-endemics to really grow.

Now, looking at golf, no physical risk, most have a long career and these guys have huge amounts of purse money. But, how many people golf every weekend (or watch it on TV) compared to how many people hit the track or trails? It's about the eyes!
KAWboy14
5/13/2008 4:51pm
P wrote:

P
APLMAN wrote:
I think there is a better chance of the ticket prices going up, and the purse staying the same or going down.....!
yep
5/13/2008 6:20pm
Jabjr222 wrote:
I have to agree with the statement that big purses draw more sponsors (and spectators). There is that element of "this is a big event with...
I have to agree with the statement that big purses draw more sponsors (and spectators). There is that element of "this is a big event with big dollars and I want my business associated with that" and it is really about ego. But which comes first, more dollars or more sponsors?

Would higher purses help hold onto top talent? Or are the talented guys just always going to end up with the big contracts so purse money is an afterthought?

Ultimately, the growth of the our sport is tied to the number of eyes seeing it. Of course we have all the endemics but we need the non-endemics to really grow.

Now, looking at golf, no physical risk, most have a long career and these guys have huge amounts of purse money. But, how many people golf every weekend (or watch it on TV) compared to how many people hit the track or trails? It's about the eyes!
A large purse represents prestige- as evidenced by the promotion of the US Open's big purse. I think every SX should be a US Open.

That will definitely bring in sponsors. Would pro poker or bass fishing be anything without the purses? You want eyes, people will watch when big money is on the line.
And I don't know if anybody has looked around the pro pits of a SX lately, but $5k is being spent everywhere you look on displays, industry bar tabs and chicks in spandex. The least we could do is let the riders share in it.
I hope the new AMA structure brings the purses into the realm of sanity and raises the respect level of the sport. Expense is a huge part of any budding race program and higher purses would lubricate the wheels of the whole machine.
Slow ~ Pro
5/13/2008 6:23pm
...I think last gets $210.00...per moto
Slow ~ Pro
5/13/2008 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2008 6:27pm
APLMAN wrote:
Doesn't/didn't that "prequel" race that Breker used to put on pay $10K+ to the winner? And that was back when Jeff Ward was racing it!!!!!!
That was a one time deal...and it was the Pro invitational...The Prequel was at Glen Helen, and the purse changed depending on outside sponsors. Phil Lawerence won, The Pro invitational
ProMed
5/13/2008 6:28pm
SCYRacing wrote:
I just read an article in the June issue of Motorcyclist about the old Superbikers series, the purse was $20,000. In '81! I realize they had...
I just read an article in the June issue of Motorcyclist about the old Superbikers series, the purse was $20,000. In '81! I realize they had ABC and such, but damn...
Wow. Simply embarassing.
APLMAN
5/13/2008 6:32pm
APLMAN wrote:
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
That was a one time deal...and it was the Pro invitational...The Prequel was at Glen Helen, and the purse changed depending on outside sponsors. Phil Lawerence...
That was a one time deal...and it was the Pro invitational...The Prequel was at Glen Helen, and the purse changed depending on outside sponsors. Phil Lawerence won, The Pro invitational
I thought Ward won it the first year, then Brooks won it some time after that. Could be mistaken, though. I really thought it was later won by one of the "top privateer" guys like Brooks or someone.
WhKnuckle
5/13/2008 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:57pm
It's ridiculous for purse money to be concentrated at the top. Top guys wouldn't bend over to pick up purse money if they dropped it on the ground. They should spread it out so that everyone who gets in the main gets at least $3K or so. If they have to raise ticket prices a little, so be it.

The guy in 10th needs the purse money more than the winner does. The winner is making his money on contract terms, contingencies, endorsements, etc, etc. The winner has plenty of money.
ktmdan
5/13/2008 9:21pm
I don't know what the attendance at a supercross race is but lets say it's 20,000. Would you be willing to pay... say 2 dollars more for tickets? Thus bumping the purse 20g's for each class, I wouldn't mind
eurohero
5/13/2008 10:46pm
Who gets the most benefit from a SX race/series? Live Nation. Who shells out the dough for the field? The AMA and the factories. Why is the largest benefactor of the series not contributing? AMA only sanctions the series, yet they contribute more purse that LN does. Kinda wierd that the factories have to pay a salary and contingency, the AMA pays a purse yet LN pays nothing except maybe year end stuff. Thats gotta say something that LN can pull down that much money in only 16 weeks. They should share the wealth.
al8
5/14/2008 5:27am
I heard Chad Reed was mad about his winnings. He really just wanted a purse.
5/14/2008 7:39am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2008 7:57am
al8 wrote:
I heard Chad Reed was mad about his winnings. He really just wanted a purse.
To go with his earrings?

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.)
APLMAN
5/14/2008 7:53am
eurohero wrote:
Who gets the most benefit from a SX race/series? Live Nation. Who shells out the dough for the field? The AMA and the factories. Why is...
Who gets the most benefit from a SX race/series? Live Nation. Who shells out the dough for the field? The AMA and the factories. Why is the largest benefactor of the series not contributing? AMA only sanctions the series, yet they contribute more purse that LN does. Kinda wierd that the factories have to pay a salary and contingency, the AMA pays a purse yet LN pays nothing except maybe year end stuff. Thats gotta say something that LN can pull down that much money in only 16 weeks. They should share the wealth.
The AMA doesn't pay the purse, LN does. The AMA sets a MINIMUM purse that the promoter must pay.....
mxdad
5/14/2008 7:55am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:57pm
Your kicking a dead horse here guys. Purse money is no longer a motivating issue at the pro level.

The racers income (plus tons of free gear & parts) come from the money WE spend on gear, bikes and parts.

The promoters (live nation, npg, dmg) are in business to make every single profit dollar they can both from the riders and the spectators.
In comparison to other investment opportunities they are still below average. A million dollar profit on a single event with a million dollar up front investment is small potatoes in the real world of promotion.

btw windam would not have tried harder than he did even if the purse at each event was $500,000. He is and for ever shall be the sports #1 second place rider.

Post a reply to: Will the purses improve now?

The Latest