Will the nationals actually go ahead?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/24/2020 6:29 PM

So, as an Aussie who can only read and watch what the media (which can be a bad thing) puts out there, it seems there has been a huge spike in Covid-9 cases through the US, especially through the South and West.
I believe Davey has said that Pala wont go ahead and dates haven't been released for others rounds outside of the first 2, I also could be wrong on this.

I sincerely hope it does but whats the fan bases thoughts on if it will and if it should?

|

Just an old ex racer who wasnt as fast or as cool as he thought he was!!!

6/24/2020 6:44 PM

Honestly. I think it would be irresponsible for them to. As much as I want them to, a spectator free event in one stadium and controlled attendance and testing is a lot different to a national.

I think they should do the right thing and call them off for this year and let the country get COVID under control so we can have full seasons next year. They cancelled the damn Olympic Games!

|

6/24/2020 6:52 PM

I think rounds 1 and 2 will but then it’s gonna go to 1event for a rest of season kinda like SX at SLC.. with Covid numbers going up, I believe some states will panic and not want a huge race... Will be lame but so is 2020 soooo🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

|

6/24/2020 7:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2020 7:04 PM

It’s unfortunate but I really don’t see how even a semi-complete season is possible given the current situation.

|

6/24/2020 7:10 PM

with the current climate....itll be difficult at best.



|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

6/24/2020 7:15 PM

If there is a real threat to the nationals being held wouldn't Lorettas be called waaaay before?

|

Here's to feeling good all the time

6/24/2020 8:33 PM

At the hospital I work at and all our sister hospitals, positive tests are way up but admission for Covid are a fraction of the positive tests... asymptomatic positive tests.. so the numbers are very deceiving
Just be smart, keep distance or wear mask and wash hands and go race 🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

|

6/24/2020 8:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2020 9:16 PM

At this point hell with it. Rather have no racing than a schedule that changes week to week because of a governor or mayor that didn’t get their way, fans being turned away, riders being held by their states, championship put on hold etc.
Good luck everyone, see you next year if we are all still here, still have jobs, personal possessions, freedom and what not.

|

6/24/2020 9:04 PM

mwssquad827 wrote:

At the hospital I work at and all our sister hospitals, positive tests are way up but admission for Covid are a fraction of the positive tests... asymptomatic positive tests.. so the numbers are very deceiving
Just be smart, keep distance or wear mask and wash hands and go race 🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

I read a stat out of Florida the other day that said the median age of people testing positive in the state fell from 64 (March) to 36 (now), with the overwhelming majority being treated as outpatients. They also said the median age of people dying of corona went up from late 60s/early 70s (March) to early/mid 80s (now). That's actually older than the normal male life expectancy in the US. For people under 50, the mortality rate was somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.04% or something like that.

|

6/24/2020 10:51 PM

I'd love to see a version of what they did in SX.

Get the 4 or 5 venues that are willing/able and get them to do 2 or 3 races each.... whatever the number ends up being.

You could potentially space them out over 3 weekends so the venue is making the most of potential crowd viability... and reducing prep costs as much as possible

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


6/25/2020 2:09 AM

Crush wrote:

I'd love to see a version of what they did in SX.

Get the 4 or 5 venues that are willing/able and get them to do 2 or 3 races each.... whatever the number ends up being.

You could potentially space them out over 3 weekends so the venue is making the most of potential crowd viability... and reducing prep costs as much as possible

The difference is the nationals need spectators to be viable.(unlike supercross)
How many spectators are going to go when there are 3 weeks of racing in a row?

|

6/25/2020 2:27 AM

CM_84 wrote:

The difference is the nationals need spectators to be viable.(unlike supercross)
How many spectators are going to go when there are 3 weeks of racing in a row?

Well, there isn't going to be a perfect scenario at any rate... I guess it's what you class as viable? Is breaking even and running it viable? I'd assume if the state is open for business they can get a crowd. Some races are in states that aren't open, so they're out...

But it doesn't need to be 3 in a row, it could be alternate weekends between a couple that are nearer each other or whatever.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


6/25/2020 2:32 AM

Crush wrote:

I'd love to see a version of what they did in SX.

Get the 4 or 5 venues that are willing/able and get them to do 2 or 3 races each.... whatever the number ends up being.

You could potentially space them out over 3 weekends so the venue is making the most of potential crowd viability... and reducing prep costs as much as possible

CM_84 wrote:

The difference is the nationals need spectators to be viable.(unlike supercross)
How many spectators are going to go when there are 3 weeks of racing in a row?

Crush wrote:

Well, there isn't going to be a perfect scenario at any rate... I guess it's what you class as viable? Is breaking even and running it viable? I'd assume if the state is open for business they can get a crowd. Some races are in states that aren't open, so they're out...

But it doesn't need to be 3 in a row, it could be alternate weekends between a couple that are nearer each other or whatever.

Yeah, i see your point, and who knows how many people they need to break even, but i would imagine they need pretty close to normal crowds to break even, because i dont think promoters of nationals are making big bucks......but that is obviously pure speculation.

All that i do know is, I hope they can find a way to make it work

|

6/25/2020 2:44 AM

CM_84 wrote:

The difference is the nationals need spectators to be viable.(unlike supercross)
How many spectators are going to go when there are 3 weeks of racing in a row?

Crush wrote:

Well, there isn't going to be a perfect scenario at any rate... I guess it's what you class as viable? Is breaking even and running it viable? I'd assume if the state is open for business they can get a crowd. Some races are in states that aren't open, so they're out...

But it doesn't need to be 3 in a row, it could be alternate weekends between a couple that are nearer each other or whatever.

CM_84 wrote:

Yeah, i see your point, and who knows how many people they need to break even, but i would imagine they need pretty close to normal crowds to break even, because i dont think promoters of nationals are making big bucks......but that is obviously pure speculation.

All that i do know is, I hope they can find a way to make it work

Surely if you run a couple of races at the same track, you’re going to cut costs, i.e. is less crowd required to break even.

Some tracks have the potential to run backwards too so you can mix it up. If there’s a will there’s a way.

|

6/25/2020 3:47 AM

Crush wrote:

Well, there isn't going to be a perfect scenario at any rate... I guess it's what you class as viable? Is breaking even and running it viable? I'd assume if the state is open for business they can get a crowd. Some races are in states that aren't open, so they're out...

But it doesn't need to be 3 in a row, it could be alternate weekends between a couple that are nearer each other or whatever.

CM_84 wrote:

Yeah, i see your point, and who knows how many people they need to break even, but i would imagine they need pretty close to normal crowds to break even, because i dont think promoters of nationals are making big bucks......but that is obviously pure speculation.

All that i do know is, I hope they can find a way to make it work

CPR wrote:

Surely if you run a couple of races at the same track, you’re going to cut costs, i.e. is less crowd required to break even.

Some tracks have the potential to run backwards too so you can mix it up. If there’s a will there’s a way.

Yep, I am sure economies of scale do cut costs somewhat. But whether its enough? I have no idea. I am guessing in the current climate if you held a national at the same track 2 weeks in a row, you would be lucky to have the total attendance much higher than they did last year in a single week.

I really have no idea if the promoters could make money or not. Time will tell I guess.

|

6/25/2020 3:50 AM

they could have 3 races at 1 track, flood the place for a mudder, another as normal slot car track, and leave it old school hard pack for another!

|

6/25/2020 3:54 AM

CM_84 wrote:

The difference is the nationals need spectators to be viable.(unlike supercross)
How many spectators are going to go when there are 3 weeks of racing in a row?

I'm not so sure that SX is viable without spectators. My guess is that they were able to do what they did in Utah was probably because everything was already budgeted for this year. I don't think they have some fantastic TV deal that pays for much.

|

6/25/2020 4:11 AM

I fuckin hope it happens. It’d be pretty sad they moved for Sx and then can’t get the industry support to get their series done.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


6/25/2020 4:49 AM

It will depend on state and local govs and that is very flaky. Texas is on the verge of shutting down again. Yes cases have spiked but total deaths is steady. Same now as it was in April and lower than May. Deaths per 1000 cases is down big time. So what does that mean? Its not as deadly as they say and cases are spiking because of more testing not due only to opening back up. So they should just use common sense and tell high risk people to stay home.

But facts and common sense have no place in modern America. So the nationals are going to be tough and if they hold them, turnouts will be low.

|

6/25/2020 5:01 AM

Serious question, do the track owners have an insurance policy in the event they don't generate $x from holding a national?

Might want to be something to consider going forward. If that would happen they could have racing, limit the number of people to spread people out and still earn money. I believe this could be done, but I am not positive.

|

6/25/2020 5:28 AM

Florida blowing up... not going to happen....

|

6/25/2020 5:35 AM

As much as I want to see racing, I can't believe it will happen - need fans for outdoor.

|

6/25/2020 6:05 AM

sandman768 wrote:

Florida blowing up... not going to happen....

Don't believe all the hype....I keep asking why all the news is about new cases and not about death rates...deaths are at the lowest levels since this began and hospitalizations are down.

Florida numbers as of 6/22
Positive cases - 109,000
Hospitalizations - 13,574
Deaths - 3281 - there were 7 deaths on 6/22

This is out of 22 million people!!

|

6/25/2020 6:13 AM

Ohio races of all kinds has had huge turnouts in the month of June.

People need to quit being scared of the Boogey Man.

|

6/25/2020 6:35 AM

Not a Chance In hell.
Don’t you see? The next wave ‘coming in the fall’ will be worse.
The first round has tapered off ,re align the chess pieces...hit it harder the second time.
Walmart open, Home Depot open nationwide.
Stack your pennys kids.
Round 2 is going to hurt

|

6/25/2020 7:15 AM

Crush wrote:

I'd love to see a version of what they did in SX.

Get the 4 or 5 venues that are willing/able and get them to do 2 or 3 races each.... whatever the number ends up being.

You could potentially space them out over 3 weekends so the venue is making the most of potential crowd viability... and reducing prep costs as much as possible

Yeah find a few states that can have it and hold it at the best tracks in those states. Figure out how many people can attend and aution off that amount of tickets. Could probably make an unimaginable amount from the auction and split it up equally among the top 40. Don't like it then curling would probably suit you better. Motocross isn't a place for those in fear.

|

6/25/2020 8:08 AM

Crush wrote:

I'd love to see a version of what they did in SX.

Get the 4 or 5 venues that are willing/able and get them to do 2 or 3 races each.... whatever the number ends up being.

You could potentially space them out over 3 weekends so the venue is making the most of potential crowd viability... and reducing prep costs as much as possible

This is the right kind of thinking, Crush.
SX found a creative solution and executed it well.

|

6/25/2020 8:47 AM

DonM wrote:

Don't believe all the hype....I keep asking why all the news is about new cases and not about death rates...deaths are at the lowest levels since this began and hospitalizations are down.

Florida numbers as of 6/22
Positive cases - 109,000
Hospitalizations - 13,574
Deaths - 3281 - there were 7 deaths on 6/22

This is out of 22 million people!!

Those who end up very sick and in the ICU generally go downhill around day 10 or later. So you can’t equate the spike data in cases right now and the current ICU and death rate.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

6/25/2020 8:56 AM

Monster mountain Alabama?

|

6/25/2020 9:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2020 9:49 AM

Serious question here for everyone:

If there are 8-10 Nationals that go ahead this summer/autumn, but attending them requires you to wear a mask AND maintain reasonable distance to other groups, will you attend?

From what I've seen on social media during SX, the photos of people in masks seem to outrage a lot of the so-called fans of the sport. I say "so-called" because I think there are a lot of fucktards on Instagram who wouldn't know which side the rear brake pedal is on. But my point here is, if there were requirements in place, would you support the sport, follow the rules and attend the races?

EDIT: I changed my wording to wear a mask and observe reasonable distancing between other groups because this seems to be the combo that keeps the virus from spreading more rapidly. The science lags so far behind the moment in this pandemic, we'll know what worked and didn't work years after it's all over.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.