Will electric bikes close down tracks?

Moto88
Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 7:04pm
Been thinking, yes the e bike will open up a lot more places to ride, including backyard tracks and places that don't require a fee (river beds/fields/places we rode in the old days but noise shut em etc) but how will that affect the local tracks? Some riders already complain having to pay say 25-40 to ride a track but do since they have no other choice for place to ride. Well if e bikes are what they appear to be, and "take over", will the average mx'ers still pay or go ride their private areas? A lot of tracks are already barely getting by w soso attendance, with the possibility of a lot less riders, just wonder if that will result in a lot less tracks being able to stay open.??. Some say the 4 stroke hurt the moto scene, will e bikes do the same?.?
|
Xeno
6/30/2017 10:28am
Hopefully there will be more tracks, and they will be in metro areas.
peelout
6/30/2017 10:28am
what? no, i hadn't heard that

The Shop

tprice07
6/30/2017 10:56am
I don't think it will hurt anything. That said, I don't think it will spawn a boat load of tracks. Yes electric is quiet, but the liability is still there...
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/30/2017 11:02am
The general public hate all dirt bikes and it makes no difference if its 2 stroke, 4 stroke, electric or even a human powered mounting bike. The tree huggers don't even want horses on the trials in Colorado.
500 Mike
6/30/2017 11:04am
Not sure how it will go but not sure more riding areas will open. People don't want dirt bikes on their property due to liability issues. noise or no noise.
Tracktor
6/30/2017 11:09am
The more places to ride the more people who will ride which means more racing. Track attendance would sky rocket of inexpensive performance electric bikes were available.

As someone with a track & no noise issues I would enjoy not hearing four strokes blasting away. I am not real worried about liability. Plus, more urban public areas could become available. Not sure why this would even be a question?.......
Motodave15
6/30/2017 12:00pm
I would be 50/50 on track days/free riding

Because literally I would probably be dicking around on mtb trails and other such areas with the bike
I'm looking forward to the electric motocross bike, because i will be motoing in stealth, however i think alot of people will still attend tracks... as to not run into the cops..

Thats my main thing... once i save up enough $$$ you can bet your ass i will have an electric and a gas powered bike.

Pretty well thought out question, i mean i never considered that angle before. the trails at my local bonelli park will not be the same when i get my hands on a electric bike lol
Moto88
6/30/2017 12:05pm
Motodave15 wrote:
I would be 50/50 on track days/free riding Because literally I would probably be dicking around on mtb trails and other such areas with the bike...

Because literally I would probably be dicking around on mtb trails and other such areas with the bike
I'm looking forward to the electric motocross bike, because i will be motoing in stealth, however i think alot of people will still attend tracks... as to not run into the cops..

Thats my main thing... once i save up enough $$$ you can bet your ass i will have an electric and a gas powered bike.

Pretty well thought out question, i mean i never considered that angle before. the trails at my local bonelli park will not be the same when i get my hands on a electric bike lol
Thank you!
NorCal 50+
6/30/2017 12:05pm
I think you will see A LOT of people going electric once the price comes down- that will lead to new riding areas.
But it might hurt mx tracks because people will have new options.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/30/2017 12:10pm
tprice07 wrote:
I don't think it will hurt anything. That said, I don't think it will spawn a boat load of tracks. Yes electric is quiet, but the...
I don't think it will hurt anything. That said, I don't think it will spawn a boat load of tracks. Yes electric is quiet, but the liability is still there...
Bingo.

I take my 3 year old to our park to ride his oset (electric dirt bike) where he barely goes faster than a walking pace and nobody has taken issue with it. However, if I was riding a larger bike out there I have no doubt the police would be there to stop me. We have several great mountain biking trails in my area but they all share one thing in common, a "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES" sign. I think electric bikes are cool and don't hurt because it is another way for people to ride a dirt bike but this vision of a bunch of tracks or riding areas opening up because of it is purely a fantasy.
Moto88
6/30/2017 12:14pm
Tracktor wrote:
The more places to ride the more people who will ride which means more racing. Track attendance would sky rocket of inexpensive performance electric bikes were...
The more places to ride the more people who will ride which means more racing. Track attendance would sky rocket of inexpensive performance electric bikes were available.

As someone with a track & no noise issues I would enjoy not hearing four strokes blasting away. I am not real worried about liability. Plus, more urban public areas could become available. Not sure why this would even be a question?.......
I hope you are right. Though why a question? My concerns are for track owners, obviously owning/operating a track is not easy, some struggle for profit, and if less people show up to ride (due to increase in places to get away with riding) is the writing on the wall? I posted this ? I guess to see what others thought the cons of e bikes could be. Personally, I'm excited about this movement and would continue to pay to ride a prepped track e or gas. But I hear a lot of people at the track complaining of the entry fee.
JC21
6/30/2017 12:18pm
I think if track attendance continues to fall it will have more to do with track design rather than the ebike itself. Can't be much fun for the average rider to roll 2-3 jumps a lap and that's where riding in your backyard/forest/etc is so appealing - no triples there!

But, as those above have mentioned people hate bikes period. I've got a small flat track near my house that I ride an electric pit bike on so no noise, dust is kept low etc. Still complaints have been made, the mere sight of a bike is enough to enrage some people so I dont think the electric bike is necessarily going to fix those issues
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/30/2017 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 12:22pm
Moto88 wrote:
I hope you are right. Though why a question? My concerns are for track owners, obviously owning/operating a track is not easy, some struggle for profit...
I hope you are right. Though why a question? My concerns are for track owners, obviously owning/operating a track is not easy, some struggle for profit, and if less people show up to ride (due to increase in places to get away with riding) is the writing on the wall? I posted this ? I guess to see what others thought the cons of e bikes could be. Personally, I'm excited about this movement and would continue to pay to ride a prepped track e or gas. But I hear a lot of people at the track complaining of the entry fee.
Anyone who complains about the riding fee should venture into building their own track and prepping it. They will have a whole new appreciation for what they're getting for their money.

I have a private track and would prep it superbly at times but never do now. If anyone is looking for a gnarly workout, go prep a track on your own with fire hoses rather than a water truck in the summer months of Texas, ride a few motos and then go put all of those fire hoses, the pump, tiller, etc. away afterwards.Sick
Rockinar
6/30/2017 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 12:29pm
Motodave15 wrote:
I would be 50/50 on track days/free riding Because literally I would probably be dicking around on mtb trails and other such areas with the bike...

Bonelli Park is hiking and horseback trails.

Electric or not, you're not going to be riding any motocross bike on it. "No motorized vehicles" includes your E-bike.
tprice07
6/30/2017 12:26pm
Tracktor wrote:
The more places to ride the more people who will ride which means more racing. Track attendance would sky rocket of inexpensive performance electric bikes were...

Moto88 wrote:
I hope you are right. Though why a question? My concerns are for track owners, obviously owning/operating a track is not easy, some struggle for profit...
1. Liability will still inhibit tracks from popping up. Even though Tracktor doesn't care, people with enough money to build tracks will.

2. You may get away with illegal riding because of the lack of noise. So yes there may be potential for more places to ride.

3. The people riding at the local track probably won't switch over to e bikes right away. The cost is too high. The ones who spend that kind of money are probably racing a series that won't allow them. The ones who aren't racing spend $2,500 on a clapped out bike.

4. The ones who will buy these bikes are probably trail riders. But even that will be limited given the lack of battery life. When we would go trail riding we would ride for hours and hours.

5. Tracks will always come and go. People don't typically start up a track to try and get rich. They do it because they love the sport. The people who share the passion will continue to ride gas dirt bikes for years to come.
Rockinar
6/30/2017 12:28pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I think you will see A LOT of people going electric once the price comes down- that will lead to new riding areas. But it might...
I think you will see A LOT of people going electric once the price comes down- that will lead to new riding areas.
But it might hurt mx tracks because people will have new options.
No. Your trail options will not change. Your Ebike is still a motorized vehicle and only allowed where motor vehicles are authorized. If your 4 stroke is not allowed there, your E-bike wont be either. Like the person above who said he would go ride it on hike/horseback trails. That's NOT going to happen.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/30/2017 12:49pm
I'd still ride tracks for the groomed/sculpted/watered factor. It's hard to build a serious mx track in your backyard.
deluxeman
6/30/2017 12:58pm
lostboy819 wrote:
The general public hate all dirt bikes and it makes no difference if its 2 stroke, 4 stroke, electric or even a human powered mounting bike...
The general public hate all dirt bikes and it makes no difference if its 2 stroke, 4 stroke, electric or even a human powered mounting bike. The tree huggers don't even want horses on the trials in Colorado.
Have you ever seen what a horse does to a trail? We used to have a dual use trail near us. It was a mountain bike/horse trail and they had separate days for bikes and horses. The horses had the trail so tore up and rough you couldn't even ride it. The bikers stopped coming and it is now just a torn up horse trail. They do far more damage to a trail than a mountain bike or a motorcycle in some cases.
KMC440
6/30/2017 1:23pm
The second one of those batteries goes boom and the hasmat team shows up in their tyvek suits shoveling dirt shit will hit the fan.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/30/2017 1:46pm
lostboy819 wrote:
The general public hate all dirt bikes and it makes no difference if its 2 stroke, 4 stroke, electric or even a human powered mounting bike...
deluxeman wrote:
Have you ever seen what a horse does to a trail? We used to have a dual use trail near us. It was a mountain bike/horse...
Have you ever seen what a horse does to a trail? We used to have a dual use trail near us. It was a mountain bike/horse trail and they had separate days for bikes and horses. The horses had the trail so tore up and rough you couldn't even ride it. The bikers stopped coming and it is now just a torn up horse trail. They do far more damage to a trail than a mountain bike or a motorcycle in some cases.
Yep, that's why tree huggers hate all of us.
Tenacious P
6/30/2017 1:52pm
I am hoping it will open a few tracks in Orange County, CA... Lots of riders out here who drive to the the Inland Empire every weekend. There were some business plans presented like 10 years ago but I think they were shot down due to noise.
peelout
6/30/2017 2:15pm
lostboy819 wrote:
deluxeman wrote:
Have you ever seen what a horse does to a trail? We used to have a dual use trail near us. It was a mountain bike/horse...
a lot of our mountain bike trails are multi-purpose as well. mtn-bikes, hikers, motorcycles, horses. the biggest problem is everyone is smart enough to stay off the trails after a rain, except for the horse riders. they'll show up first thing in the morning after a big rain and fuck everything up. it makes the trails completely unrideable on mountain bikes and horrible for hiking.

the worst thing is when i ride my motorcycle on these trails, i'm stink-eyed by everyone i come across. little do they know i ride in very low torque and never spin my wheel. couple years ago i got two flat tires from hidden nails left behind by the dipshits that want dirt-bikes off the trails. can't imagine what would happen if a horse put a 16-penny through their hoof...
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
6/30/2017 3:05pm
tprice07 wrote:
I don't think it will hurt anything. That said, I don't think it will spawn a boat load of tracks. Yes electric is quiet, but the...
Agree.
At least in the PRC (Peoples Republic of California) the stealth would just give you a little less likelihood of getting caught that day - but eventually you'd be caught. So if you want to ride you would eventually be in the same places you were before e-bikes.

Anyways, I'm a fan of the prepped tracks. I'll drive hours and spend $ to be on a good prepped track.

I love the idea of a reliable e-bike. I thought when four stroke MX bikes came out they would be low maintenance green sticker MX bikes (fool!) - so I went back to a two stroke for simpler maintenance and fun.
Husky360
6/30/2017 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 4:08pm
JC21 wrote:
I think if track attendance continues to fall it will have more to do with track design rather than the ebike itself. Can't be much fun...
I think if track attendance continues to fall it will have more to do with track design rather than the ebike itself. Can't be much fun for the average rider to roll 2-3 jumps a lap and that's where riding in your backyard/forest/etc is so appealing - no triples there!

But, as those above have mentioned people hate bikes period. I've got a small flat track near my house that I ride an electric pit bike on so no noise, dust is kept low etc. Still complaints have been made, the mere sight of a bike is enough to enrage some people so I dont think the electric bike is necessarily going to fix those issues
Totally agree with the track design and other factors besides noise points.

305FC250
6/30/2017 4:17pm
Riverbeds and fields are not an equal substitute for a motocross track....

Post a reply to: Will electric bikes close down tracks?

The Latest