Will be attending my first National this weekend...

HusqFan3
7/25/2018 12:09pm
Would appreciate any practical advice for maximizing my experience... Meeting my cousin so there will be 2 of us in case that has any impact as far as advice.

A couple specific questions i have are:

* What’s worth bringing in/carrying vs leave at home?

* Trying to decide between VIP($200) and gen admission($70). Curious to hear about and past VIP experiences and if you feel it was worth the extra money. Also does anyone know if pit passes are included with VIP ticket purchase? I’d hope so given the cost of the ticket but I’m guessing not

* Worth spending the extra $50 for pit passes?

* Lastly and most importantly, if i go with general admission, where’s the best viewing area? I’ve been to the track but only to ride...

* Any/all other input either specific to Washougal or just in general is certainly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
|
Donovan759
7/25/2018 12:15pm
I always bring a cooler for food and drinks. I'm always amazed when I see people running up to the concession area 4 times a day to buy food and drinks. All that money could have been spent on pit passes & other stuff.

If you enjoy photography at all, I'd recommend bringing your camera. When you walk the track you can get pretty close in some places & get some great pictures.
mxpro252
7/25/2018 12:15pm
Viewing areas totally depend you setup, willingness to walk and what you’re interested in seeing. I’ve always been traveling light and interested in seeing a lot of different sections so I would always walk to different areas throughout the day. But hard to go wrong on most parts of the hill. And definitely stand near the first turn below the uphill for at least one 450 Moto start. The power and speed that goes by is crazy.
7/25/2018 12:49pm
Yes, bring your own cooler, sit on the hill in the shade, but definitely walk around and see the whole track. It is a beautiful place, but you can only see maybe 40 to 50% of the track from any one spot.... Get there while you can. Washougal is always one of those places on the list of tracks that could get run out by encroaching development, noise complaints, environmentalists, etc. They have to fight through their fair share of issues in the past. $70 for general admission? Last year it was $40 for GA at the gate.
huck
7/25/2018 12:57pm
Wear comfortable shoes and shorts. We try to make several laps around the whole viewing area, to see different spots at different times of the day...especially during the first motos. The pits aren't like SX pits, way less fanfare. I haven't been to Washougal, but just speaking generally.

The Shop

GregDVT
7/25/2018 1:09pm
Definitely buy the pit pass. I usually bring a cold cut sub a few gatorades and a couple of beers. If you have a far drive I recommend a power nap in your back seat.

Wear comfy shoes you don’t mind getting muddy. Even if the weather is nice, the bike wash areas get muddy as hell still. I’ve ruined a few pairs of vans tryin to jump over the rivers of simple green and mud water.
mxer613
7/25/2018 1:21pm
Vip !!! With it supposed to be 99 degrees Saturday, it’s the only way to go, I had the Lucas Oil vip tickets at Hangtown this year, best way to go, all you can drink beer, water , sodas, slurpees, great food and even popcorn, shade all day, tv to watch the race live, plus got hang out with ex racers stopping by throughout the day.
JRT812
7/25/2018 2:08pm
Sunscreen
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
7/25/2018 2:20pm
Been to Shoug many times and for me walking and viewing from different parts of the track is where it. I try to catch one 450 moto standing near the top of horse power hill at the start,watching them come up is crazy,everyone tapped out and scrambling for position then flying over the top.Almost like an IMAX moment.Fun stuff.
If you like to have a beer,they have beer gardens to drink over priced beer in.Lame.
HusqFan3
7/25/2018 2:21pm
Yes, bring your own cooler, sit on the hill in the shade, but definitely walk around and see the whole track. It is a beautiful place...
Yes, bring your own cooler, sit on the hill in the shade, but definitely walk around and see the whole track. It is a beautiful place, but you can only see maybe 40 to 50% of the track from any one spot.... Get there while you can. Washougal is always one of those places on the list of tracks that could get run out by encroaching development, noise complaints, environmentalists, etc. They have to fight through their fair share of issues in the past. $70 for general admission? Last year it was $40 for GA at the gate.
Interesting. In looking at it again there’s a General Admission Ages 7 & Up for $70 and a General Admission Ages 7 & Up SATURDAY ONLY for $50. Begs the question what the heck is going on Friday/Sunday? Perhaps they’re charging to watch people pick up trash the next morning?
HusqFan3
7/25/2018 2:26pm
Appreciate all the other replies/helpful advice!

One other quick question i forgot to ask for those who have attended in the last is what it’d Like getting in and out of there on race day? I’ve taken my bike down for a practice day so know it’s a fairly decent trek down some tiny roads to get in and out of there. I can only imagine what traffic must be like on race day. Curious how long it will take once i exit off 14 i believe it is and when best/worst times... I’d ideally like to catch some of the qualifiers/125 race if possible
7/25/2018 2:28pm
HusqFan3 wrote:
Interesting. In looking at it again there’s a General Admission Ages 7 & Up for $70 and a General Admission Ages 7 & Up SATURDAY ONLY...
Interesting. In looking at it again there’s a General Admission Ages 7 & Up for $70 and a General Admission Ages 7 & Up SATURDAY ONLY for $50. Begs the question what the heck is going on Friday/Sunday? Perhaps they’re charging to watch people pick up trash the next morning?
You only need to be there Saturday, it all happens Saturday, practice, timed qualifying, the races. I swear it was $40 last year? Did it really go up $10 in one year?
7/25/2018 2:31pm
Bring plenty of water and prepare to be blown away at how fast these guys are in real life
KMC440
7/25/2018 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2018 2:49pm
Set up a "home base" unless you're tied at the hip with your party. That way you can come and go in case the other(s) wants to hang out while you meander.
I'd love to see a camera shot from the drop down side of horsepower hill looking up. Different camera angles really make the tracks pop.
Have fun!

Just read your previous post .. on Saturday try to be EARLY to the track. 7 or 725 am is not ridiculous... trust me !
It'll give you bout a half hour to scout the place before the days events start.
You'll be happier the earlier!
motomike137
7/25/2018 4:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2018 4:05pm
HusqFan3 wrote:
Would appreciate any practical advice for maximizing my experience... Meeting my cousin so there will be 2 of us in case that has any impact as...
Would appreciate any practical advice for maximizing my experience... Meeting my cousin so there will be 2 of us in case that has any impact as far as advice.

A couple specific questions i have are:

* What’s worth bringing in/carrying vs leave at home?

* Trying to decide between VIP($200) and gen admission($70). Curious to hear about and past VIP experiences and if you feel it was worth the extra money. Also does anyone know if pit passes are included with VIP ticket purchase? I’d hope so given the cost of the ticket but I’m guessing not

* Worth spending the extra $50 for pit passes?

* Lastly and most importantly, if i go with general admission, where’s the best viewing area? I’ve been to the track but only to ride...

* Any/all other input either specific to Washougal or just in general is certainly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I've only been to Washougal once back in 2016 so some of the veterans may have better or more advice specific to the track but I have been to many many nationals. Wardrobe wise good comfortable hiking type shoes are important. Sun screen and a hat especially if it is going to be sunny. Maybe an extra shirt to leave in the car and a towel and some water to also to clean up a little after being out there all day. I can't remember if Washougal lets you bring in small coolers but if they do I'd bring one with a shoulder strap with some water and food. At Red Bud I can go back to my car and re load after practice. I personally don't like lugging around a chair but that's your call. The beer garden isn't terrible there imho. They had good IPA's when I was there and besides I'm not looking to get loaded while spectating at a National anyway. I hung out in the one by the uphill jump into the sand long enough to have a coupe and then ski daddled. As for spectating I make it a point to walk all over the place in practice and pick out a couple of favorite spots and then I hover at those spots during the motos. A pro tip for when the race get's over is to not be in a hurry to leave. Maybe even bring a small grill and some food to cook afterword and not be in any hurry,You can kill an hour or to chilling at the car instead of sitting in traffic and then probably get home darn near as fast anyway.

edit: VIP is not my cup of tea. It is a heck of a lot of money for what you get imo. As I said before I am there to go walk around all day and take it all in and I am not looking to be pampered Wink
BevoDave
7/25/2018 4:43pm
Bikinis. Lots.

Post a reply to: Will be attending my first National this weekend...

The Latest