Will a new points system help?

Edited Date/Time 3/20/2022 7:38pm
The beaten horse is still kicking. After last weekend, fans are holding onto hopes that something happens to close up the points, or the championship goes into management mode with 7 rounds to go. The excitement is wearing off when the points gap gets too big, for me at least.

Should points be gained for fastest qualifier and heat race wins? End of the season points dump for most laps led? Dump your lowest scoring race/add some kind of 1 time use handicap points boost?

The systems not broken, it’s just boring. The biggest change the sport has had in years is 20 min races and triple crowns, oh and a nice new logo and on screen visuals.
|
CPan
3/19/2022 6:39am
Luckily Tomac likes to win. I don’t think he’ll go into as much management mode as others would. Expect him to be battling for the lead for a few rounds yet.
RaceFace58
3/19/2022 6:47am
I hate the idea of punishing the guy who is doing best. The idea of a “championship” is to determine who was the best in the series. These “tighten the points” gimmicks have the goal of rewarding those who haven’t done as well and gives them a chance to be the champion even though it was shown they weren’t the best week in and week out. It defeats the purpose of having a Championship.
kb228
3/19/2022 6:53am
Riders that dont crash would help. Both classes have been decimated by crashes

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2231st
3/19/2022 7:00am
Fastest qualifier and heat race points are good, drop rounds or chase are dumb.
peltier626
3/19/2022 7:00am
I can think of 450 reasons that will ensure the longevity of the series.
3/19/2022 7:04am
I don’t know what the answer is, but agreed, we are looking at just under half a season of being a yawner.
As fans, we really need something to happen to tighten the points and make it exciting until the last round.

Maybe the season is too long.
3/19/2022 7:06am
RaceFace58 wrote:
I hate the idea of punishing the guy who is doing best. The idea of a “championship” is to determine who was the best in the...
I hate the idea of punishing the guy who is doing best. The idea of a “championship” is to determine who was the best in the series. These “tighten the points” gimmicks have the goal of rewarding those who haven’t done as well and gives them a chance to be the champion even though it was shown they weren’t the best week in and week out. It defeats the purpose of having a Championship.
So reward them for being fastest qualifier instead of putting them in a slower heat race, and reward them for winning the heat race on top of first gate pick. They did their best, and it shows. Dominant ride during the day only to lose it all by blown spokes from the first turn with nothing to show for it at the end of the weekend.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
3/19/2022 7:10am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2022 7:11am
I don’t know what the answer is, but agreed, we are looking at just under half a season of being a yawner. As fans, we really...
I don’t know what the answer is, but agreed, we are looking at just under half a season of being a yawner.
As fans, we really need something to happen to tighten the points and make it exciting until the last round.

So you want a manufactured championship like F1 was last year?
funktree
Fantasy
4081st
3/19/2022 7:17am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2022 7:20am
Tomac has been fastest qualifier twice, won 3 heat races, won 2 triple crown mains when there were no heats and has led 65 laps I think he has a healthy points lead no matter what you change. Also his worst finish is 6th so dropping lowest round probably helps him gain in points gap.
KYFHO699
3/19/2022 7:31am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2022 7:32am
This “My guy got hurt” or “My guy had a bad race” shit has to go… Screwing the guys who didn’t make mistakes is akin to giving a participation trophy to the ones who did make mistakes. Just because your favorite rider is out or had a bad race doesn’t mean all the other guys who worked their asses off should pay for it. If you are so bored because one guy is dominating and now it messes up your Saturday night because you’re “bored,” find another sport. This skewing the points to help a few riders who didn’t have their shit together on any said night is straight up horseshit. Just my opinion.
RaceFace58
3/19/2022 7:32am
RaceFace58 wrote:
I hate the idea of punishing the guy who is doing best. The idea of a “championship” is to determine who was the best in the...
So reward them for being fastest qualifier instead of putting them in a slower heat race, and reward them for winning the heat race on top...
So reward them for being fastest qualifier instead of putting them in a slower heat race, and reward them for winning the heat race on top of first gate pick. They did their best, and it shows. Dominant ride during the day only to lose it all by blown spokes from the first turn with nothing to show for it at the end of the weekend.
Yes dominant night when they didn’t get through the first turn. Don’t make my case for me. You’ll have guys crashing out of qualifying trying to get those however many points you want to give to just one guy for fastest qualifier. You’ll end up with more guys hurt on the season. Again you effectively want to lessen the benefits of being the best rider all year long, which is the definition of competition. Why not force the red plate holder to have last gate pick while you’re at it. That would screw him good.
nickm
3/19/2022 7:44am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2022 7:45am
Strange how last weekends race took out 4 of the top 10, yet somehow some think Eli getting the championship is "automatic". I'm sure Eli and Star Yamaha don't feel that way. ANYTHING can happen, a flat, a crash, a DNF, a couple of bad nights. Eli is on fire for sure, but there is a lot of racing left.

The points system is fine the way it is. Consistency wins championships. Manufactured BS drama is for video games.
3/19/2022 8:24am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2022 8:28am
7 days ago everyone was "championship is wrapped up, bring on the outdoors!" Weeks ago when the first top guys get injured, "Seasons done, bring on the outdoors!"

Try to make the sport closer and a fight to the end, and its still complaints. We don't need to have participation trophies, just sucks that a rider's season can end before it even starts. They have two chances every weekend in the summer to make up/lose points, why should SX be so different? The circus sport refuses to change, while other motorsports that don't even have to option for the general public to participate in other than spectating are booming.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
3/19/2022 9:13am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2022 9:13am
7 days ago everyone was "championship is wrapped up, bring on the outdoors!" Weeks ago when the first top guys get injured, "Seasons done, bring on...
7 days ago everyone was "championship is wrapped up, bring on the outdoors!" Weeks ago when the first top guys get injured, "Seasons done, bring on the outdoors!"

Try to make the sport closer and a fight to the end, and its still complaints. We don't need to have participation trophies, just sucks that a rider's season can end before it even starts. They have two chances every weekend in the summer to make up/lose points, why should SX be so different? The circus sport refuses to change, while other motorsports that don't even have to option for the general public to participate in other than spectating are booming.
People just don’t want gimmicks. Every season is different. If last week didn’t happen you wouldn’t of even started this thread. plenty of series have come down to the last few races.

I’m not opposed to change- I would like to see triple crowns give points for each race(not the full 26, maybe 15 each race). But even if you give points for fastest qual or heat wins Tomac still has a healthy lead.
3/19/2022 9:36am
soggy wrote:
People just don’t want gimmicks. Every season is different. If last week didn’t happen you wouldn’t of even started this thread. plenty of series have come...
People just don’t want gimmicks. Every season is different. If last week didn’t happen you wouldn’t of even started this thread. plenty of series have come down to the last few races.

I’m not opposed to change- I would like to see triple crowns give points for each race(not the full 26, maybe 15 each race). But even if you give points for fastest qual or heat wins Tomac still has a healthy lead.
I agree with different points scoring for the triple crowns. I think that could be a good place to start and see how it works for the new season. A lot of people were opposed to that change, but seem to like it now.

KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
3/19/2022 10:10am
The beaten horse is still kicking. After last weekend, fans are holding onto hopes that something happens to close up the points, or the championship goes...
The beaten horse is still kicking. After last weekend, fans are holding onto hopes that something happens to close up the points, or the championship goes into management mode with 7 rounds to go. The excitement is wearing off when the points gap gets too big, for me at least.

Should points be gained for fastest qualifier and heat race wins? End of the season points dump for most laps led? Dump your lowest scoring race/add some kind of 1 time use handicap points boost?

The systems not broken, it’s just boring. The biggest change the sport has had in years is 20 min races and triple crowns, oh and a nice new logo and on screen visuals.
If we had some kind of accelerated points system in the 2nd half of the season it might tighten up the interest when their appears to be a runaway. But it also makes the first half less important. Guys that shine on the east coast tracks in 2nd half would have an advantage.
3/19/2022 10:11am
I don’t know what the answer is, but agreed, we are looking at just under half a season of being a yawner. As fans, we really...

soggy wrote:
So you want a manufactured championship like F1 was last year?
That’s a strange take on what I actually said.

Are you ok?
arebnac
3/19/2022 11:24am
This 26-23-21 (then 19 to 01) point system is already one of the hardests in motorsport. Cant get much better than this... It rewards so little, its tight and hard... Its great.
spimx
3/19/2022 12:15pm
1 2 and 3 should be a one point difference
b_kowalsk
3/19/2022 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2022 12:34pm
I like the idea of having one throwaway round. If a rider has a mechanical issue, sickness or dnf that is outside of their control it can save their championship hopes.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/19/2022 1:02pm
b_kowalsk wrote:
I like the idea of having one throwaway round. If a rider has a mechanical issue, sickness or dnf that is outside of their control it...
I like the idea of having one throwaway round. If a rider has a mechanical issue, sickness or dnf that is outside of their control it can save their championship hopes.
If Tomac threw away his worst finish he'd still have a 25 point lead.
b_kowalsk
3/19/2022 1:20pm
Boomslang wrote:
I'm not saying it would change things this season. Aside from that what would be the harm with having a throwaway round?
Ryan Dungey comes to mind. In 2011 he had some mechanical issues, having a throwaway may have saved his title hopes that year.
bns99121
Fantasy
1128th
3/19/2022 1:28pm
Make each round progressively worth more points. This incentivizes riders to stay in it for the whole series and makes points gaps easier to make up later in the season
RaceFace58
3/19/2022 1:38pm
b_kowalsk wrote:
I like the idea of having one throwaway round. If a rider has a mechanical issue, sickness or dnf that is outside of their control it...
Boomslang wrote:
We’d have to look back and see how many titles Tomac would have right now with throwaway rides! I wonder.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/19/2022 1:39pm
Ya, I know what you are saying. The current system is ok, Tomac would still be running away with the trophy even with throw-aways. It's just a damn unlucky that alot of the guys have crashed and others are out with injuries. SX is brutal and whatever point system is used the dude that makes the least mistakes will always come out on top.

The series ain't over yet and Tomac can still have something go wrong. Not arguing with you.....the fat lady is still gargling....
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/19/2022 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2022 1:41pm
b_kowalsk wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
RaceFace58 wrote:
We’d have to look back and see how many titles Tomac would have right now with throwaway rides! I wonder.
That would be interesting but sadly I don't have the patience to go and crunch all those numbers. Where's Falcon? Isn't he a math guru? Whistling
RaceFace58
3/19/2022 1:41pm
Boomslang wrote:
b_kowalsk wrote:
I'm not saying it would change things this season. Aside from that what would be the harm with having a throwaway round? Ryan Dungey comes to...
I'm not saying it would change things this season. Aside from that what would be the harm with having a throwaway round?
Ryan Dungey comes to mind. In 2011 he had some mechanical issues, having a throwaway may have saved his title hopes that year.
I wonder how many of his titles Dungey would have lost if there was a throwaway involved.
RaceFace58
3/19/2022 1:44pm
Boomslang wrote:
Ya, I know what you are saying. The current system is ok, Tomac would still be running away with the trophy even with throw-aways. It's just...
Ya, I know what you are saying. The current system is ok, Tomac would still be running away with the trophy even with throw-aways. It's just a damn unlucky that alot of the guys have crashed and others are out with injuries. SX is brutal and whatever point system is used the dude that makes the least mistakes will always come out on top.

The series ain't over yet and Tomac can still have something go wrong. Not arguing with you.....the fat lady is still gargling....
It’s not luck. Eli is riding at 95% while they’re all trying to maintain 100+. It’s not possible. Ever go riding with a friend that you’re faster than and can just cruise and keep right with him? Ever crash your brains out doing that? That’s Eli right now.
HusqFan3
3/19/2022 4:03pm
funktree wrote:
Tomac has been fastest qualifier twice, won 3 heat races, won 2 triple crown mains when there were no heats and has led 65 laps I...
Tomac has been fastest qualifier twice, won 3 heat races, won 2 triple crown mains when there were no heats and has led 65 laps I think he has a healthy points lead no matter what you change. Also his worst finish is 6th so dropping lowest round probably helps him gain in points gap.
You have it backwards.... the fact his worst finish was a 6th would mean he'd be hurt the most by dropping a race. i.e. it would definitely tighten the points race not expand it(not that I'm advocating for penalizing consistency just clearing up the math)

Post a reply to: Will a new points system help?

The Latest