Will Texas ever host another pro national?

Wells423
6/6/2018 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 5:47am
We have so many amazing facilities here and a massive moto following. Seems crazy that we don’t have a national. I understand the heat factor, but why couldn’t it just be the first or second round of the series. Also what track in Texas could you see hosting a national. I always thought Whitney would have been perfect.
|
mb60
6/6/2018 9:24pm
Now that Tony Miller has passed don't count on it.But cycle Ranch would be the place to have one if they ever did.
Texas Built
6/7/2018 12:38am
I hope we get another. The riders can train for it by spraying a hairdryer in their mouth.

The Shop

6/7/2018 1:47am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 1:49am
Nope.

We have some awesome tracks here. There's just no interest from the sanctioning body.

Cycle Ranch is amazing but it has access problems (rumor has it). It didn't stop the 4 stroke nationals from coming here (and being very successful) almost 20 years ago but the cartel doesn't seem to think that 15,000 or so folks can get in and out of the track.

Swan is a great track but has access issues as well. They don't seem to be an issue in October during the Pro Challenge.

Oak Hill hosted Nationals back in the day, but can't seem to sniff any interest. Maybe it's the narrow ingress and egress.?

All of those tracks are near large metro areas with easy airport access and plenty of hotel rooms but it seems that there is no real interest in subjecting the riders to the heat of summer.

Guess we'll just continue to get our asses kicked at MXDN each year until we toughen up like we were in the 80's & 90's.

BTW, the Nationals used to end in St. Petersburg, FL. Have you ever been to St. Pete in August? Hell would have been a vacation destination compared to St. Pete in August.

Oh, and that was in the day of 45 minute motos.
6/7/2018 2:20am
Nope. We have some awesome tracks here. There's just no interest from the sanctioning body. Cycle Ranch is amazing but it has access problems (rumor has...
Nope.

We have some awesome tracks here. There's just no interest from the sanctioning body.

Cycle Ranch is amazing but it has access problems (rumor has it). It didn't stop the 4 stroke nationals from coming here (and being very successful) almost 20 years ago but the cartel doesn't seem to think that 15,000 or so folks can get in and out of the track.

Swan is a great track but has access issues as well. They don't seem to be an issue in October during the Pro Challenge.

Oak Hill hosted Nationals back in the day, but can't seem to sniff any interest. Maybe it's the narrow ingress and egress.?

All of those tracks are near large metro areas with easy airport access and plenty of hotel rooms but it seems that there is no real interest in subjecting the riders to the heat of summer.

Guess we'll just continue to get our asses kicked at MXDN each year until we toughen up like we were in the 80's & 90's.

BTW, the Nationals used to end in St. Petersburg, FL. Have you ever been to St. Pete in August? Hell would have been a vacation destination compared to St. Pete in August.

So the reason USA has lost the MXdN the past few years is because there is no national in Texas? Someone should let Roger know.
6/7/2018 2:28am
No. It's just a symptom of the problem. We don't expect the riders to ride in adverse conditions anymore.

There's no focus on the outdoors, it's now an after thought. It's all about Stupidcross in the US.

And by the time MXDN is here, there's slim pickings due to the injuries that have piled up.

Come on, it's barely June and we're already talking about who is going to be healthy enough to ride at MXDN.
zehn
6/7/2018 2:33am
From injuries sustained training for or racing motocross....

No adverse conditions? Even been to Glen Helen National or High Point? It can be every bit as hot as Texas.
6/7/2018 3:00am
Yep, been to Glen Helen. In September. The first time Ricky rode a 4 stroke outdoors. It was hot. It was NOT humid. I thought it was a nice Fall day for Texas.

Also been to St. Pete in August. I lived and raced in Florida at the time. I thought I was gonna die. Heat index is different from temperature.

Not really trying to debate conditions. This is about a National for Texas. And for that, we're beating a dead horse.

Bottom line is there is no inclination from the powers that be to have an outdoor National in the southern latitudes of the US during the summer.

Look at a map. Draw a circle around the majority of the outdoors. 75% are within 6 hours or so of Morgantown. Draw your own conclusion.

And the Euros aren't already nursing injuries from 17 rounds of Supercross when they start training for MXGP. So there's that to think about. Only 5 riders scored points in every round of Supercross this year. It's easy to injure yourself training for the outdoors when you are already beaten up.

IWreckALot
6/7/2018 6:54am
Nope. We have some awesome tracks here. There's just no interest from the sanctioning body. Cycle Ranch is amazing but it has access problems (rumor has...
Nope.

They should hold a national at River Valley.
JustMX
6/7/2018 7:21am
Nope.

Not sure that 15000 is a realistic number for any national mx event.

Too many other options for recreational funds and less and less interest in the hassle of live events.

People say, "give us a national and it will be huge".

Well, you had nationals, and they weren't huge.

The same is happening at the long anticipated southeastern national. Take it to georgia, alabama, florida, the carolinas, and it will be the same.

Make whatever excuses about the facility or the timing, but the fact is, times have changed. It isn't a mx issue, it is a socialogical issue.

Another example is budds creek. They can blame the drop on moving off father's day to august, but it sure looked to be dropping before then.

Even Glen Helen (with cool temps) looked nothing like it did 15 years ago.
Moto Mofo
6/7/2018 7:28am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 7:29am
IWreckALot wrote:
River Valley? I hope you’re joking...

DaveTheVintageGuy pretty much summed it up. Cycle Ranch would be an awesome choice! But when the original owner pursued a National (at the same time Tony Miller was trying to get one), he was told that access was too limited. They even built that big pavilion and did some other renovations to help sway the momentum their way, with no luck. Steve seemed to lose enthusiasm about the place when he realized they wouldn’t get a National.

I heard Oak Hill has new owners with big plans, some of which are already underway. Maybe they will have a shot someday.

Lake Whitney should’ve ALWAYS had a National when it was still around.
6/7/2018 7:44am
Nope.

JustMX wrote:
Not sure that 15000 is a realistic number for any national mx event. Too many other options for recreational funds and less and less interest in...
Not sure that 15000 is a realistic number for any national mx event.

Too many other options for recreational funds and less and less interest in the hassle of live events.

People say, "give us a national and it will be huge".

Well, you had nationals, and they weren't huge.

The same is happening at the long anticipated southeastern national. Take it to georgia, alabama, florida, the carolinas, and it will be the same.

Make whatever excuses about the facility or the timing, but the fact is, times have changed. It isn't a mx issue, it is a socialogical issue.

Another example is budds creek. They can blame the drop on moving off father's day to august, but it sure looked to be dropping before then.

Even Glen Helen (with cool temps) looked nothing like it did 15 years ago.
I don't disagree with you on any of your points. I think the Outdoors is unfortunately on borrowed time.

The 15,000 number is what Cycle Ranch was told when they tried to get a National before Freestone got it.

RIP Tony Miller (who did his best with what he had), but Freestone was horrible for spectators (even those that were extorted for VIP viewing) and was not near any of the 3 major metro areas in Texas. Add in the financial crash that occurred at the same time and the ratcheting up of gas prices and it was destined to fail. 10 years down the road and the sport hasn't recovered. Add in the kids that don't want to go outside and it's easy to see what the future has in store.

I drove the 14 hours to Thunder Valley last year and had a great time. It has all of the things that make it easy for a spectator. Even so, I just can't take 4 days out of my schedule and justify the cost to make the trip each year.

IWreckALot
6/7/2018 7:45am
IWreckALot wrote:
Moto Mofo wrote:
River Valley? I hope you’re joking... DaveTheVintageGuy pretty much summed it up. Cycle Ranch would be an awesome choice! But when the original owner pursued a...
River Valley? I hope you’re joking...

DaveTheVintageGuy pretty much summed it up. Cycle Ranch would be an awesome choice! But when the original owner pursued a National (at the same time Tony Miller was trying to get one), he was told that access was too limited. They even built that big pavilion and did some other renovations to help sway the momentum their way, with no luck. Steve seemed to lose enthusiasm about the place when he realized they wouldn’t get a National.

I heard Oak Hill has new owners with big plans, some of which are already underway. Maybe they will have a shot someday.

Lake Whitney should’ve ALWAYS had a National when it was still around.
Yeah. It was a bad joke. Ha.

Wish I would have started riding well before I did. Heard Whitney was an awesome track but never got to experience it.

Oak Hill is a cool property but the track seems a bit narrow for a national. We raced Freestone a few times. It was a fun track, but not fun to watch as a spectator. Access was easy enough but it was pretty far from civilization.
mb60
6/7/2018 8:05am
Nope.

Oak Hill held a national back when ?? LOL

Been to about 7 of the national tracks and only Cycle Ranch and Lake Whitney deserved a national from Texas.
6/7/2018 8:10am
Nope.

IWreckALot wrote:
River Valley cant even run a AMA district race correctly.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
6/7/2018 8:13am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 9:50am
Tony Miller was awesome and massive Kudos to him for getting us a national for a few years but Freestone is in the middle of nowhere and the track is just okay. We have a couple facilities here that could host a successful National. Swan is the obvious answer but I don’t think the track owner and MX Sports want to do business together. Not sure why but that appears to be the case. Our summer climate doesn’t help our chances but they could easily put a race here in June and the pros could handle the heat.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
6/7/2018 8:15am
Get Mr. Ross Downs on the phone
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
6/7/2018 8:18am
IWreckALot wrote:
Yeah. It was a bad joke. Ha. Wish I would have started riding well before I did. Heard Whitney was an awesome track but never got...

Wish I would have started riding well before I did. Heard Whitney was an awesome track but never got to experience it.

Oak Hill is a cool property but the track seems a bit narrow for a national. We raced Freestone a few times. It was a fun track, but not fun to watch as a spectator. Access was easy enough but it was pretty far from civilization.
You missed out because Lake Whitney was a true Texas treasure. There was always lots of carnage there but I’ve got lots of good memories from that place.
6/7/2018 8:50am
IWreckALot wrote:
Yeah. It was a bad joke. Ha. Wish I would have started riding well before I did. Heard Whitney was an awesome track but never got...

731chopper wrote:
You missed out because Lake Whitney was a true Texas treasure. There was always lots of carnage there but I’ve got lots of good memories from...
You missed out because Lake Whitney was a true Texas treasure. There was always lots of carnage there but I’ve got lots of good memories from that place.
Getting the very first practice at that place was heaven. Axle deep loam and if you knew the track layout you could do a few laps wide open riding on rails. Never a shortage of race lines once it roughened up.
aroark247
6/7/2018 9:22am
zehn wrote:
From injuries sustained training for or racing motocross.... No adverse conditions? Even been to Glen Helen National or High Point? It can be every bit as...
From injuries sustained training for or racing motocross....

No adverse conditions? Even been to Glen Helen National or High Point? It can be every bit as hot as Texas.
You ever been to Texas?
Moto Mofo
6/7/2018 9:25am
IWreckALot wrote:

Lucky’s Landing is the obvious choice for an outdoor National in TX.
JAFO92
6/7/2018 11:10am
Same as it ever was........

Whistling
Wells423
6/7/2018 11:20am
I still don’t understand why California has 4 rounds of supercross and 2 outdoor rounds. It’s not the 90’s anymore. Most the pros don’t live out there anymore. Spread the love. Hell it’d be cool to see Oklahoma have a facility for a national. Swan would be awesome!!
zehn
6/7/2018 11:26am
In this thread: Texans complaining about not standing in 100f heat with 90% humidity just to watch some guys ride a dirt bike around a track.
Johnny Depp
6/7/2018 11:26am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2018 11:27am
The problem with the Nationals, which just happen to be magnified when you discuss Texas is the time of year is wrong. Supercross season Jan-April would make a perfect outdoor weather conditions in many places. Likewise, a stadium setting is the perfect place to be when the summer heat shows up.

As far as Texas tracks, Rio (best population density) Swan and Cycle Ranch are ready now with above standard facilities.
Spoaks has a national caliber track and access but no permanent facilities yet.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
6/7/2018 11:29am
Rabbit Run is in an easily accessible location these days
early
Fantasy
2139th
6/7/2018 11:36am
Yep, been to Glen Helen. In September. The first time Ricky rode a 4 stroke outdoors. It was hot. It was NOT humid. I thought it...
Yep, been to Glen Helen. In September. The first time Ricky rode a 4 stroke outdoors. It was hot. It was NOT humid. I thought it was a nice Fall day for Texas.

Also been to St. Pete in August. I lived and raced in Florida at the time. I thought I was gonna die. Heat index is different from temperature.

Not really trying to debate conditions. This is about a National for Texas. And for that, we're beating a dead horse.

Bottom line is there is no inclination from the powers that be to have an outdoor National in the southern latitudes of the US during the summer.

Look at a map. Draw a circle around the majority of the outdoors. 75% are within 6 hours or so of Morgantown. Draw your own conclusion.

And the Euros aren't already nursing injuries from 17 rounds of Supercross when they start training for MXGP. So there's that to think about. Only 5 riders scored points in every round of Supercross this year. It's easy to injure yourself training for the outdoors when you are already beaten up.

Look at a map. Draw a circle around the majority of the outdoors. 75% are within 6 hours or so of Morgantown. Draw your own conclusion

BTW, Hangtown, Glen Helen, Lakewood, Washougal, Millville , southwick are not within 6 hours of Morgantown.
6/7/2018 12:31pm
Yep, been to Glen Helen. In September. The first time Ricky rode a 4 stroke outdoors. It was hot. It was NOT humid. I thought it...

early wrote:
Look at a map. Draw a circle around the majority of the outdoors. 75% are within 6 hours or so of Morgantown. Draw your own conclusion...
Look at a map. Draw a circle around the majority of the outdoors. 75% are within 6 hours or so of Morgantown. Draw your own conclusion

BTW, Hangtown, Glen Helen, Lakewood, Washougal, Millville , southwick are not within 6 hours of Morgantown.
Obviously I wasn't counting Hangtown, Glen Helen, Lakewood, and Washougal. I eyeballed the distance to Southwick and it's 536 miles. That's around 6 hours out here in Texas where we have 80/85 MPH speed limits and miles of ranch land. On the east coast, not so much. Google maps says 8 hours. We can count that one as "or so". Millville is a little farther at slightly over 800 miles. Google says 13 hours for that one. It's certainly not a West Coast or Southern race.

How about we look at the map and count how many races are south of a line drawn across the country using the Oklahoma/Nebraska border. I count Glen Helen and Muddy Creek. Still lots of red south of that line that doesn't have access to a national and has a vibrant riding population. In Texas alone, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio are all top 10 population counts in the US. And that's just counting the legal residents.Laughing

Look, I'm not trying to debate this. The equine has most likely expired for us. Texas may never get another Outdoor race. We went without one for years. But what about Georgia or Florida or Alabama? All 4 states have great racetracks and people that have been clamoring for years to have races.

Let's see what happens when NASCAR gets sold and the fallout from that hits Daytona Motorsports Group that holds the rights to the series. Imagine if the rumor is true and Disney ends up with it all. The only winner I see in that scenario is gonna be Feld and then our summers may be really boring.

Post a reply to: Will Texas ever host another pro national?

The Latest