Will Suzuki come back with a 250 2stroke team

Jack mehoff
Edited Date/Time 6/5/2014 8:55pm
We never hear the end of it in motocross: Bring two-strokes back.
Whether they're die-hard fans of the '90s or shoestring budget weekend warriors, the supporters of the premix ponies have been relentlessly vocal in demanding provisions be taken in professional motocross to remove the disadvantages of racing a two-stroke. The experiment has been tried and tested in the amateur ranks (and more recently in the pro series in Canada and Australia), where 250 two-strokes are now allowed to race in the 250 class.

RELATED STORY
Watch: Ken De Dycker Ripping a 2-Stroke KTM
Initially, it may seem idiotically obvious for all 250 cc engines to race in the 250 class, however the smaller bore class is usually reserved for 250 four-strokes and 125 two-strokes. This was due to a rule created during the developmental stages of four-stroke technology to remove the disadvantage of racing a four-stroke against a two-stroke, the latter of which would theoretically produce double the power.

When whispers first came about of 250 two-strokes belonging with 250 four-strokes, we laughed it off as irrational drivel. It seemed wildly lopsided in favor of the two-stroke, and since most of the factories no longer produce them, it made no sense.

The major argument against, of course, is that we do not want to piss off the factories, because motocross would be really difficult if the big five up and decided to get into building Snuggies or Shake Weights. But let’s take stock of that scenario:

The five major factories are KTM, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki, each an important piece of the puzzle that is motocross. KTM and Yamaha still produce two-strokes, so they would be thrilled at this idea. The Kawasaki and Honda 250 class efforts are two of the most elite, being of course the Pro Circuit Kawasaki and GEICO Honda juggernauts.

Here’s the thing – each of these teams would be on top even if two-strokes were on the gate, because that is just how good they are. Their bikes, riders, and budgets are world-class, and it would take a lot more than a 250 two-stroke to topple their reign, even at the hands of Red Bull KTM or Star Yamaha. So the remaining factory to have to worry about is Suzuki, but since Suzuki no longer has a 250 team, they should have nothing to get pissed off about in that class (in fact, Suzuki has repeatedly been rumored to be getting back into distributing 250 two-strokes).
And like we've already established, this idea has been put into place in Canada and Australia, and you know what? The 250 four-strokes are still very much competitive. In fact, in both countries, nearly all of the riders in the top five in the championship points at the end of the season raced four-strokes. It seems then, that the two-stroke presents no real advantage, beyond affordability. This is not a demand for change, just an observation of the facts.

Your move, motocross.
For the latest dirt on moto, follow Red Bull Moto Spy on Twitter.
|
TX24
6/3/2014 9:32am
I just hope they keep having a four stroke team.
TNL830
6/3/2014 9:46am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2014 9:47am
In Pro racing 2strokes are dead unless KTM buys the series and changes the rule there is no way the Japanese manufactures will allow a KTM250 SX in the 250f class
Manbearpig
6/3/2014 10:50am
We can only wish...... Im convinced it wont happen though for one reason only.

It would cause far to many erections lasting over 4 hours. That's just way too many boners at once.

The Shop

FlaNard
6/3/2014 10:53am
I'm a huge two stroke fan (and owner) and have called for equal displacement rules for years. Even I give up now. You win Honda. Thanks for there being like two guys at the track I pass on the way to and from work every day since nobody can afford the sport anymore. But hey, you win. You killed local racing.
Jack mehoff
6/3/2014 11:11am
TNL830 wrote:
In Pro racing 2strokes are dead unless KTM buys the series and changes the rule there is no way the Japanese manufactures will allow a KTM250...
In Pro racing 2strokes are dead unless KTM buys the series and changes the rule there is no way the Japanese manufactures will allow a KTM250 SX in the 250f class
Food for thought , 2 manufacturer s all ready play in the sand box Ktm and Yamaha ,all they need is one more then it's 3 to 2 at the table when it comes to vote on the rules , it kind off makes sense , the two strongest teams have been PC and FC , the point off the article that I got was Suzuki is in the cats bird seat , think about the PR that they would get plus they have nothing left to loose every thing to gain , I wonder how long it's going to take to get husky at the table for an vote , it's only going to be a few years untill there a player in the sport .
hvaughn88
6/3/2014 11:23am
TNL830 wrote:
In Pro racing 2strokes are dead unless KTM buys the series and changes the rule there is no way the Japanese manufactures will allow a KTM250...
Food for thought , 2 manufacturer s all ready play in the sand box Ktm and Yamaha ,all they need is one more then it's 3...
Food for thought , 2 manufacturer s all ready play in the sand box Ktm and Yamaha ,all they need is one more then it's 3 to 2 at the table when it comes to vote on the rules , it kind off makes sense , the two strongest teams have been PC and FC , the point off the article that I got was Suzuki is in the cats bird seat , think about the PR that they would get plus they have nothing left to loose every thing to gain , I wonder how long it's going to take to get husky at the table for an vote , it's only going to be a few years untill there a player in the sport .
That's given each person at the "table" has an equal vote. I don't know the ins and outs of the politics but it has always been implied that Honda carries a little more weight. I have no idea if there is any merit to this, just the impression I have always gotten when it comes to discussions about Japanese manufactures and their ties to the politics of the sport.
6/3/2014 11:28am

No.

Otherwise, it is true that 4 strokes are more expensive (especially to repair), heavier, etc, so why more or less everybody still ride 4 strokes ? I think we can blame each others, nobody would have bought 4 strokes, then the 2 strokes would still rule.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/3/2014 11:34am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2014 11:35am
There's nothing in the current pro rules to encourage two-stroke use, so no.
huck
6/3/2014 11:37am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2014 11:38am
Boo fucking hoo....when will you crazy 2 stroke dorks ever realize that they aren't coming back....either are twin shocks in the back or open faced helmets.

These new helmets with mouth guards are way more expensive than open faced ones...they are ruining the sport!
Jack mehoff
6/3/2014 11:41am
TNL830 wrote:
Food for thought , 2 manufacturer s all ready play in the sand box Ktm and Yamaha ,all they need is one more then it's 3...
hvaughn88 wrote:
That's given each person at the "table" has an equal vote. I don't know the ins and outs of the politics but it has always been...
That's given each person at the "table" has an equal vote. I don't know the ins and outs of the politics but it has always been implied that Honda carries a little more weight. I have no idea if there is any merit to this, just the impression I have always gotten when it comes to discussions about Japanese manufactures and their ties to the politics of the sport.
I think with time and the way. Ktm caters to the little people More kids growing up on pumpkins that has changed over time , my hats off to Ktm they have been making the investment since birth . I would think that ktm on the off road side is killing Honda in sales .
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
6/3/2014 11:41am
huck wrote:
Boo fucking hoo....when will you crazy 2 stroke dorks ever realize that they aren't coming back....either are twin shocks in the back or open faced helmets...
Boo fucking hoo....when will you crazy 2 stroke dorks ever realize that they aren't coming back....either are twin shocks in the back or open faced helmets.

These new helmets with mouth guards are way more expensive than open faced ones...they are ruining the sport!
Lmao
6/3/2014 11:58am
huck wrote:
Boo fucking hoo....when will you crazy 2 stroke dorks ever realize that they aren't coming back....either are twin shocks in the back or open faced helmets...

4 $troke$ have killed the sport...peoples cant even pay off their gambling debts now a daze......
huck
6/3/2014 12:02pm
huck wrote:

4 $troke$ have killed the sport...peoples cant even pay off their gambling debts now a daze......
No shit... how am I supposed to afford my 43' toyhauler and F350 with the cost of these new bikes!? They are taking food out of my kid's mouths....
6/3/2014 12:07pm
huck wrote:

huck wrote:
No shit... how am I supposed to afford my 43' toyhauler and F350 with the cost of these new bikes!? They are taking food out of...
No shit... how am I supposed to afford my 43' toyhauler and F350 with the cost of these new bikes!? They are taking food out of my kid's mouths....
TongueSilly
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
6/3/2014 12:11pm
huck wrote:

huck wrote:
No shit... how am I supposed to afford my 43' toyhauler and F350 with the cost of these new bikes!? They are taking food out of...
The reason you see so many of those is the fact they are the only ones left that can afford that shit.
huck
6/3/2014 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2014 12:12pm
huck wrote:
The reason you see so many of those is the fact they are the only ones left that can afford that shit.
So what's your point?

I can't afford a jet....Should I complain until they bring back the Wright Brothers plane?

Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
6/3/2014 12:22pm
huck wrote:
huck wrote:
So what's your point?

I can't afford a jet....Should I complain until they bring back the Wright Brothers plane?

Yep, because that is totally comparable.Whistling
huck
6/3/2014 12:34pm
huck wrote:
So what's your point?

Why should a racer think that they need a new race bike every year?

Racing for a $10 trophy is some serious stuff, I guess?
Jack mehoff
6/3/2014 12:35pm
huck wrote:

huck wrote:
Huck it's nice to see you can afford it , with that MACK DADDY set up you have
huck
6/3/2014 12:37pm
huck wrote:
Huck it's nice to see you can afford it , with that MACK DADDY set up you have
Yeah, but my kids have to wear gear from the "clearance" section at Motosportoutlet.com.. It's embarrassing!
Jack mehoff
6/3/2014 12:44pm
FYI rusty and motorcycle closeouts are having a huge garage sale this month , you might want to hop on that one ASAP
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
6/3/2014 12:44pm
huck wrote:
So what's your point?

huck wrote:

I understand what you are saying.........But this biggest problem i have with it isnt the cost of the bike so much as it is the cost to keep one going.........And when they go..."anyone says they are more reliable is lying" they go big, i have seen kids damn near get killed when one of those thing blows. I understand your point about being to afford it, but the average guy could go racing for alot less and in my opinion safer on a 2T.
hvaughn88
6/3/2014 12:48pm
FYI rusty and motorcycle closeouts are having a huge garage sale this month , you might want to hop on that one ASAP
had some good luck with them. Picked up a few Bell Star street helmets at ridiculously low clearance prices and their shipping and customer service have been great.
huck
6/3/2014 12:50pm
huck wrote:

I understand what you are saying.........But this biggest problem i have with it isnt the cost of the bike so much as it is the cost...
I understand what you are saying.........But this biggest problem i have with it isnt the cost of the bike so much as it is the cost to keep one going.........And when they go..."anyone says they are more reliable is lying" they go big, i have seen kids damn near get killed when one of those thing blows. I understand your point about being to afford it, but the average guy could go racing for alot less and in my opinion safer on a 2T.
I disagree....respectfully.

My old 2S (not T) used to require a lot more maintenance than the new 4 strokes do.
Jack mehoff
6/3/2014 12:50pm
huck wrote:

I understand what you are saying.........But this biggest problem i have with it isnt the cost of the bike so much as it is the cost...
I agree with you a 100 % when a rebuild is a morgage payment vs a car payment , I think that's when mom and dad take a step back and redirect jr into a cheaper sport
huck
6/3/2014 12:54pm
huck wrote:

I agree with you a 100 % when a rebuild is a morgage payment vs a car payment , I think that's when mom and dad...
I agree with you a 100 % when a rebuild is a morgage payment vs a car payment , I think that's when mom and dad take a step back and redirect jr into a cheaper sport
Maybe more parents should do this anyway!?

You don't see a 10 year old driving a car around the Daytona or Indy track....
Jack mehoff
6/3/2014 1:13pm
They just lowered to I think 12 with a waiver in NASA in the spec Miata Teen challenge series , there is a ton off kids coming out off cart s into road racing , talking to them it's alive and well with the cheap. Motors from china , so in a sense if it's more affordable in the consumables ,u usually have a winner , me personally I own a125 , 250 2 and a 450 f , depending on the brand and the mods it's probably more maintenance on the 2/4 but when they grenade there is no comparison and let's face it there is a lot off people in mx that are week to week with the funds , it's a young mans sport
Racer92
6/3/2014 1:20pm
huck wrote:

You porkers need them tractors to lug your super-sized physique around the track ! Evil

Post a reply to: Will Suzuki come back with a 250 2stroke team

The Latest