Will Roczen ever win a SX Championship?

4/23/2021 6:30pm
Up Wind wrote:
What brand were the handle bars that bent and cost him the title?
LOL, yeah it was those bars. He would be well ahead in the points, if not for that.
Up Wind
4/23/2021 6:46pm
Up Wind wrote:
LOL, yeah it was those bars. He would be well ahead in the points, if not for that.
Ha! Bars that don't bend when you tip over and a few wins in Utah. Done deal....Maybe Smile
daemon616
4/23/2021 7:55pm
Yes he's about to
Mit12
4/23/2021 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2021 10:14pm
He could win if Webb, Tomac, Anderson, Sexton, Adam, Barcia, Marvin, Osborne, Plessenger............ all have big problems! Lol. All kidding aside he has the talent and the speed he just needs to hold it together for the complete SX season, in saying that he is not getting younger. Time will tell. One thing is forsure, Webb sure proved him wrong by winning a SX championship and well on his way to another one in the big boy class! I wonder if Roczen wished he never made that statement?

The Shop

lando356
4/24/2021 5:03am
I think his injuries have to take a tool mentally and physically. Amazing he came back to be this fast .
4/24/2021 5:05am
I remember when people asked if he would ever win again. Kenny has his best supercross season and people are writing him off all over. Kennys shown he has the fastest speed this year.
tek14
4/24/2021 5:12am
Question is.. will he race after Salt Lake rounds?
4/24/2021 12:28pm
This season's title is Coop's to lose. I don't think KR can take it without a serious error from CW. As for the future.... As I recall, he's improved each of the last 3 seasons. It seems like it's been a very slow return to form after his injuries. But this form is one of the top riders in the world. You don't take the kind of injuries he had, and just pop back. However, he DOES need to learn racecraft. Coop's racecraft has made KR look silly at times. KR depends on raw pace to win. When the track goes away, taking his pace with it, he doesn't know how (or isn't willing) to fend off attacks. I don't think Roczen gets slower next year. Will it be enough for a title? I don't know, but in no way do I think he's "over the hill". I hope he returns next year. This year would be a snooze without him.
Bineano
4/24/2021 8:01pm
No, only because he seems quite happy to loose. As long as he tries his best, he is happy?
Pfffft, sounds like Kindergarden train of thought ffs.
Huge Kenny fan here, btw but darn.
I would love to see an interview with Roger D, Hannah, RJ, McGrath, Carmichael or Villo look almost satisfied after a loss...
Your not going to find any, because Champs HATE loosing. They would have been throwing sh*t at the camera, censored beeps the whole way through.

Sorry Ken, but you only get so many chances to win SX Titles and you’re throwing them away too easily.
Tumic
4/25/2021 4:18am
Bineano wrote:
No, only because he seems quite happy to loose. As long as he tries his best, he is happy? Pfffft, sounds like Kindergarden train of thought...
No, only because he seems quite happy to loose. As long as he tries his best, he is happy?
I would love to see an interview with Roger D, Hannah, RJ, McGrath, Carmichael or Villo look almost satisfied after a loss...
Your not going to find any, because Champs HATE loosing. They would have been throwing sh*t at the camera, censored beeps the whole way through.

Sorry Ken, but you only get so many chances to win SX Titles and you’re throwing them away too easily.
Have you considered that some of all the names you just lined up could have called it quits after the first crash Roczen did? And maybe the rest after the second crash.

I would like to see some more killer instinct in Ken to, but i guess that he is happy with just being out there, and has done the best season so far in plenty of years.
FerCzD
4/25/2021 5:13am
Tumic wrote:
Have you considered that some of all the names you just lined up could have called it quits after the first crash Roczen did? And maybe...
Have you considered that some of all the names you just lined up could have called it quits after the first crash Roczen did? And maybe the rest after the second crash.

I would like to see some more killer instinct in Ken to, but i guess that he is happy with just being out there, and has done the best season so far in plenty of years.
How do you know they would have call it quits?
MickyT
4/25/2021 5:27am
bowl wrote:
Kenny should of stayed with aldon baker n maybe he would not fade late in races.
When Kenny left Bakers he said NO WAY IN THE WORLD COULD I LAST ONE MORE YEAR AT ALDONS!
He said he has to have more fun with his training!
It’s no surprise that all the winners come from ALDONS as it’s a proven system, so I wonder as fit as KR is he still doesn’t seem that fit at the end of races!
I keep thinking Honda and RedBull would make sure Kenny has Olympic level fitness but who knows?
How Kenny left KTM and ALDONS after winning an Outdoor 450 title in his rookie year and I think he came 3rd in SX in his rookie year I will never know!
Who the fuck was advising him????????
As legendary as KR has been I still feel he has left a lot of titles behind him!
MickyT
4/25/2021 5:29am
KurtJ99 wrote:
Cooper and Andersen were never going to win, until they did. Eli was never going to win, despite coming so close several times, until he did...
Cooper and Andersen were never going to win, until they did.
Eli was never going to win, despite coming so close several times, until he did.
So Roczen is never going to win, until he does.
Maybe Kenny should go back groveling to Aldon to take him back??
I wonder with Kenny back at ALDONS could he get him an SX title??
MickyT
4/25/2021 5:37am
Pop Shmoke wrote:
This was his shot, when you get that chance you have to take it. I dont see a way he gets into a better situation than...
This was his shot, when you get that chance you have to take it. I dont see a way he gets into a better situation than he had this year. If he couldnt do it now idk how he does it later. He had over a 10 point lead on 2nd and 30+ up on 3rd place which was Tomac. If he cant do it then when can he? Webb isnt going anywhere and neither is Tomac. On top of that better and better people are filling up the class every year. When you have a shot like he did you have to give it everything you have and not settle. He showed this year that hes ok with settling. The person who will not settle will be the one who wins the next one.
This is a great post!
I don’t think Kenny realises how close he is to the title and you never know if you will get another chance at it!
He can’t expect to win a title by super clean racing with no passing! It’s just not going to happen!
Every title has a battle for it!
No one is saying we want Kenny to absolutely put his life on the line, people just want Ken to battle with Webb and be aggressive if Webb tries to pass him!
If you count how many times Ken has let Webb past without any sort of fight this year he would be leading the championship by a long way!
He has lost his self confidence and until he gets it back I can’t see him battling and winning a title!!
MickyT
4/25/2021 5:42am
gt80rider wrote:
His best years are behind him, and the old crew of Tomac, Marvin, El Hombre, Webb, ect won't be his biggest threat going forward, it will...
His best years are behind him, and the old crew of Tomac, Marvin, El Hombre, Webb, ect won't be his biggest threat going forward, it will be guys like AC, Sexton and Pless...... all of whom are sporting less physical damage, as well as less burn-out.... K-Roc was a beast no doubt, and one of the fastest to ever throw a leg over, but he let one guy mentally destroy him the later part of his 450 career....
You know Webbs less than a year Older than AC9 and AP7? Webb went to the 450 class pretty young compared to a lot of rookies...
You know Webbs less than a year Older than AC9 and AP7?
Webb went to the 450 class pretty young compared to a lot of rookies entering the class now. I dare say he will be pretty dominant for the next few years.
Tomac is 28, Ken is 26 turning 27, Webb is 25, AC is 24, Sexton is 21. If Ferrandis can get consistent he is a title contender too!
MickyT
4/25/2021 5:49am
gt80rider wrote:
His best years are behind him, and the old crew of Tomac, Marvin, El Hombre, Webb, ect won't be his biggest threat going forward, it will...
His best years are behind him, and the old crew of Tomac, Marvin, El Hombre, Webb, ect won't be his biggest threat going forward, it will be guys like AC, Sexton and Pless...... all of whom are sporting less physical damage, as well as less burn-out.... K-Roc was a beast no doubt, and one of the fastest to ever throw a leg over, but he let one guy mentally destroy him the later part of his 450 career....
You know Webbs less than a year Older than AC9 and AP7? Webb went to the 450 class pretty young compared to a lot of rookies...
You know Webbs less than a year Older than AC9 and AP7?
Webb went to the 450 class pretty young compared to a lot of rookies entering the class now. I dare say he will be pretty dominant for the next few years.
MickyT wrote:
Tomac is 28, Ken is 26 turning 27, Webb is 25, AC is 24, Sexton is 21. If Ferrandis can get consistent he is a title...
Tomac is 28, Ken is 26 turning 27, Webb is 25, AC is 24, Sexton is 21. If Ferrandis can get consistent he is a title contender too!
Dylan Ferrandis is 26 and 1 month younger than Kenny!
It’s DF rookie year and Kenny has done 8 years!
This year and next year is Kenny best chance for a title!
Who know he may win an SX TITLE at 30 but you have to think his time is now and he is left it slips through his fingers!
If he loses this year hopefully it may make him so mad that he gets a lot better for next year!
Imagine he comes out next year aggressively block passing people and wins the title easily!!!
BogDogPenny
4/25/2021 8:11am
AP and AC Born in 1996. Aka 25 years old.
Webb Born in 1995.
Roczen Born in 1994.
Hardly kids.
I have moto tee shirts way older than 1994.
These are kids in my world. lol
4/25/2021 8:56am
I have moto tee shirts way older than 1994.
These are kids in my world. lol
Same here. I have jerseys from 1975. These are kids in my world, too.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!!! lol
teamddr
4/25/2021 10:35am
If these injuries have left him mentally fragile then no. You can count the guys that came back and had the mental fortitude to overcome on one hand.
Not many in sport total like Niki Lauda or the skier Hermann Maier
Takes a very special inner strength
Ranman68
4/25/2021 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2021 12:32pm
I'm not a Roczen fan, but I will never deny reality. I believe he is the most naturally talented rider in the world. Indoors and out. What holds him back in sx, in my opinion, is the willingness to get aggressive/borderline dirty when necessary. I would hate to think how many wins and positions he has given up because he wouldnt get ugly. This is a key part of sx. It has cost Tomac as well this year.
Another thing that holds Kenny back is late race fitness. He is much better this year, but i still see him fading or making crucial mistakes late in races that i think are partially due to fatigue. Outdoors, the lack of fitness is clear as day. In 2019 he had races where he had huge leads and then faded big time.
In mx he derinitely needs better fitness to win another title. In sx, the thing he has got to master is aggression and getting ugly. I dont see him winning a title unless he does. Webb will deny him every time.
One more thing.....it would benefit Roczen to learn to not mention "bent bars", points he thinks were unfairly lost, throwing hissy fits like the one he threw with Deano, saying "screwed by lappers", etc etc etc in his post race interviews. It would help his image and increase his popularity. Every rider experiences those challenges and its a regular part of racing. Sx fans know if a lapper messes it up for someone and wether or not it was their fault. We most likely know if a penalty deduction is warranted or not. We know a lapper unintentionally cost Sexton a win....or possible win. We saw it. No need to for Sexton to tell us about it and/or cry about it. He didn't, and everyone appreciated it. It gave me a newfound respect for him.
If Roczen can gain some more late race fitness and get aggressive (not dirty or sketchy), he can definatly win a title or two before retiring. If he can give up repeating things that we know occurred and mentioning how he "got screwed" by lappers/ama etc, he will gain fans and be more respected by non fans. Just my thoughts on Roczen.
kiwifan
4/25/2021 6:41pm
Ranman68 wrote:
I'm not a Roczen fan, but I will never deny reality. I believe he is the most naturally talented rider in the world. Indoors and out...
I'm not a Roczen fan, but I will never deny reality. I believe he is the most naturally talented rider in the world. Indoors and out. What holds him back in sx, in my opinion, is the willingness to get aggressive/borderline dirty when necessary. I would hate to think how many wins and positions he has given up because he wouldnt get ugly. This is a key part of sx. It has cost Tomac as well this year.
Another thing that holds Kenny back is late race fitness. He is much better this year, but i still see him fading or making crucial mistakes late in races that i think are partially due to fatigue. Outdoors, the lack of fitness is clear as day. In 2019 he had races where he had huge leads and then faded big time.
In mx he derinitely needs better fitness to win another title. In sx, the thing he has got to master is aggression and getting ugly. I dont see him winning a title unless he does. Webb will deny him every time.
One more thing.....it would benefit Roczen to learn to not mention "bent bars", points he thinks were unfairly lost, throwing hissy fits like the one he threw with Deano, saying "screwed by lappers", etc etc etc in his post race interviews. It would help his image and increase his popularity. Every rider experiences those challenges and its a regular part of racing. Sx fans know if a lapper messes it up for someone and wether or not it was their fault. We most likely know if a penalty deduction is warranted or not. We know a lapper unintentionally cost Sexton a win....or possible win. We saw it. No need to for Sexton to tell us about it and/or cry about it. He didn't, and everyone appreciated it. It gave me a newfound respect for him.
If Roczen can gain some more late race fitness and get aggressive (not dirty or sketchy), he can definatly win a title or two before retiring. If he can give up repeating things that we know occurred and mentioning how he "got screwed" by lappers/ama etc, he will gain fans and be more respected by non fans. Just my thoughts on Roczen.
Everyone has at some stage moaned about lappers... so making a big deal out of it with Kenny is bullshit
FerCzD
5/1/2021 10:11pm
No.
tprice07
5/1/2021 10:22pm
What Kenny has done following two career ending injuries is nothing short of a miracle. Anyone who has had a injury knows things are not always 100% the same. My foot, knees, and head all still have issues from prior injuries and none if mine were as severe as his.

We see Kenny’s flashes of brilliance and expect him to return to his previous form. If I’m him I’m pumped to be winning races and contending for championships. He almost lost it all. During his recovery he also watched his brother in law flip his own life upside down. There’s a lot happening there. And I’m sure a bunch more we don’t have a clue about. I hope he can win a championship but it seems unlikely with guys like AC and Chase.
5/2/2021 3:30am
Up Wind wrote:
Up Wind wrote:
Ha! Bars that don't bend when you tip over and a few wins in Utah. Done deal....Maybe Smile
Yeah, but not so much
jaun
5/2/2021 3:36am
Bineano wrote:
No, only because he seems quite happy to loose. As long as he tries his best, he is happy? Pfffft, sounds like Kindergarden train of thought...

Tumic wrote:
Have you considered that some of all the names you just lined up could have called it quits after the first crash Roczen did? And maybe...

Villo snapped both legs and come back and one 4 SX titles
5/2/2021 4:42am
Bineano wrote:

Tumic wrote:

jaun wrote:
Villo snapped both legs and come back and one 4 SX titles
Chris Pourcel came back from a spinal cord injury and won his first season in supercross.

Tomac destroyed both shoulders and came back not losing a bit of speed, won 3 outdoor titles after.

And I'm sure there are many other cases.

It was amazing for Roczen to come back from his injuries but at some point we have to stop blaming them every time he underperforms. He was unstoppable at the start of the season so his injuries obviously didn't affect him that much at that point.
davistld01
5/2/2021 6:03am
I think 2021 was Roczens final opportunity. That might be unpopular (lots of thumbs down!) but I just think this year showed that he just isn’t willing to put it all out there every week...and I guess that’s what it takes.

Post a reply to: Will Roczen ever win a SX Championship?

The Latest