Will Roczen ever win a SX Championship?

Jaybird67k
Edited Date/Time 5/2/2021 9:55am
My dear friend, rest his soul. We both agreed KR 94 would never win a SX Championship after his injuries he sustained.
I just wonder y'all's thoughts on this. I personally don't believe he will even though he is the fastest IMHO
I just think he is lacking something that CW 2 has and that is the blood in the water awesome racecraft in clutch situations.
Thoughts?

Thanks, Jason
|
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
4/20/2021 6:32pm
Why not? Had he not crashed on Sunday he'd be 10 points out with 2 rounds to go. Doesn't get much closer than that. Webb owns this title but Kenny is almost a full 26 points ahead of last year's champ. He had a great season and if there wasn't this one #2 guy that makes him look like a fool at times we'd all be talking about how unbeatable the 94 is
Jdawggg
4/20/2021 6:37pm
Dont think Kenny will ever win one but mostly because alot of fast kids like AC, Chase Sexton, Plessinger I think we are gonna see the the next group coming thru in the next couple years and its going to be a lot tougher for the OGs to win races
Up Wind
4/20/2021 6:45pm
He is a winner everyday of his life. Hard worker, successful, great dad, fierce competitor, wins on every color.
Wandell
4/20/2021 6:46pm
No, I think that ship has sailed.

The Shop

Hi Side
4/21/2021 3:09am
Unfortunately I don’t think he will. Tough to say as I’m a Roczen fan but I don’t believe his intensity level matches some of the other guys. Maybe intensity is a lack of a better word?
duckdog77
4/21/2021 3:16am
Tough call. But I don’t see the fight it takes to be champ personally.

But at the same time we are 3 incidents away from a tied championship going into SLC. Jumping on a Red Cross, not getting around dean, and a mistake in the whoops. This championship was decided by about 10 seconds of racing that Kenny glitched.
Fonzarelli
4/21/2021 4:06am
If he's the fastest how does Webb keep catching up to him?
duckdog77
4/21/2021 4:30am
Fonzarelli wrote:
Raw speed wise I don’t think any one will argue Kenny has Cooper covered.

Coopers late in the race come backs come from a couple things. Mental fortitude, and bike set up. His bike comes to him late in races. He sets it up this way. For when the track goes away. Which is why sometimes his fast laps come late in a race. While others bikes are starting to go away from them. Sexton talks about this a little on this weeks Pulp episode and how he’s starting to learn that process.
olds cool
4/21/2021 5:03am
Fonzarelli wrote:
duckdog77 wrote:
Raw speed wise I don’t think any one will argue Kenny has Cooper covered. Coopers late in the race come backs come from a couple things...

Coopers late in the race come backs come from a couple things. Mental fortitude, and bike set up. His bike comes to him late in races. He sets it up this way. For when the track goes away. Which is why sometimes his fast laps come late in a race. While others bikes are starting to go away from them. Sexton talks about this a little on this weeks Pulp episode and how he’s starting to learn that process.
...but the races are 20 min + 1 lap aren’t they?
DoctorJD
4/21/2021 5:35am
Actually, Kenny pretty much said it in his interview during the race on Saturday...in so many words. It seems to me like he's drawn a line in the sand in terms of where he's willing to go (with his riding). He's not going to ride outside of his comfort level, no matter what. He's been through hell with both of those arms and he's seen the consequences of doing so, and it's hell. I think he'd rather live with the pain of losing a championship than go through the pain of injury ever again.

I ran into Kenny in the Denver airport after his first crash. I didn't even realize that I was standing next to him at the baggage carousel until my wife elbowed me and brought it to my attention. As big a fan as I am, I didn't fanboy him. I simply told him that we were all pulling for him, and praying for his full recovery. He looked absolutely miserable, and I'm pretty sure he was, considering the metal he had protruding from his arm.

I look back at that guy, and I look at the guy I see now, and yea, he's already won. If he has drawn that line in the sand, I see why. And I don' blame him one bit.
IWreckALot
4/21/2021 5:48am
Fonzarelli wrote:
duckdog77 wrote:
Raw speed wise I don’t think any one will argue Kenny has Cooper covered. Coopers late in the race come backs come from a couple things...

Kinda curious if other riders will start taking a page out of Webb's playbook.

Was there something about Webb's genetics being freakishly odd. Like his heartrate is much slower than most of his competitors or am I thinking about Osborne maybe?
4/21/2021 6:05am
Jdawggg wrote:
Dont think Kenny will ever win one but mostly because alot of fast kids like AC, Chase Sexton, Plessinger I think we are gonna see the...
Dont think Kenny will ever win one but mostly because alot of fast kids like AC, Chase Sexton, Plessinger I think we are gonna see the the next group coming thru in the next couple years and its going to be a lot tougher for the OGs to win races
Yerp
4/21/2021 6:09am
crusty_xx wrote:
Why not? Had he not crashed on Sunday he'd be 10 points out with 2 rounds to go. Doesn't get much closer than that. Webb owns...
Why not? Had he not crashed on Sunday he'd be 10 points out with 2 rounds to go. Doesn't get much closer than that. Webb owns this title but Kenny is almost a full 26 points ahead of last year's champ. He had a great season and if there wasn't this one #2 guy that makes him look like a fool at times we'd all be talking about how unbeatable the 94 is
He would of been 10 points out, also the points AMA took, also the position he lost when Wilson got in the way... it would of been really really close... But in a clutch situation with 2 rounds left my money still would of been on Webb.
I’m a Roczen fan and would prefer to see him win it but Webb won’t be denied.
4/21/2021 6:15am
I'm not really a fan of Kenny, but I can't imagine him ever NOT being a title contender. He's that good. In fact, he might have an even better chance now that he's riding conservatively. IMO.
resetjet
4/21/2021 6:15am
Not so long as there is a webb or rv type that is willing to do whatever it takes and hates to lose.
jonesaustin
4/21/2021 6:31am
Being one of the elite racers is imo like a championship itself. He’s at the very top, and sometimes that person doesn’t win a Supercross Title. Broc Glover and Damon Bradshaw come to mind. Roczen is still and will always be considered one of the elite riders, so if it never happens, his status won’t change in the history books.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
4/21/2021 6:39am
crusty_xx wrote:
Why not? Had he not crashed on Sunday he'd be 10 points out with 2 rounds to go. Doesn't get much closer than that. Webb owns...
He would of been 10 points out, also the points AMA took, also the position he lost when Wilson got in the way... it would of...
He would of been 10 points out, also the points AMA took, also the position he lost when Wilson got in the way... it would of been really really close... But in a clutch situation with 2 rounds left my money still would of been on Webb.
I’m a Roczen fan and would prefer to see him win it but Webb won’t be denied.
I agree and Webb deserves it this year. But I don't get how someone can say he will NEVER win an SX title if he's this close to winning one with 2 rounds to go. It's not like he's 32 or so either. He's still one of the youngest in the class. In the main even last weekend there are probably only like 3 guys younger than him.
scootch
4/21/2021 6:40am
DoctorJD wrote:
Actually, Kenny pretty much said it in his interview during the race on Saturday...in so many words. It seems to me like he's drawn a line...
Actually, Kenny pretty much said it in his interview during the race on Saturday...in so many words. It seems to me like he's drawn a line in the sand in terms of where he's willing to go (with his riding). He's not going to ride outside of his comfort level, no matter what. He's been through hell with both of those arms and he's seen the consequences of doing so, and it's hell. I think he'd rather live with the pain of losing a championship than go through the pain of injury ever again.

I ran into Kenny in the Denver airport after his first crash. I didn't even realize that I was standing next to him at the baggage carousel until my wife elbowed me and brought it to my attention. As big a fan as I am, I didn't fanboy him. I simply told him that we were all pulling for him, and praying for his full recovery. He looked absolutely miserable, and I'm pretty sure he was, considering the metal he had protruding from his arm.

I look back at that guy, and I look at the guy I see now, and yea, he's already won. If he has drawn that line in the sand, I see why. And I don' blame him one bit.
And that line in the sand has all but one rider covered Blink

I agree, the dude has already won by coming back from those injuries and re-emerging as a title contender year in and year out. However, I'm not sure if he ever gets it done as long as CW is lining up though, and that's a bummer to see.
4/21/2021 6:59am
Who predicted last year that he beat most of the time Tomac this year?Nobody,so everything is possible next year.
Crush
4/21/2021 7:44am
Hard to imagine the field gets weaker next year, or Coop spots him six races fuckin around with an air shock...

He has to get fitter and faster, nothing for it.
Question
4/21/2021 8:10am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2021 8:11am
I don't know, it was a bit frustating to watch. To answer your question, I don't think so, but to be fair it is getting closer. I think he still need a little better fitness for the last laps.

That said, everything is still possible:

- Webb could have been out easily with his big crash in the whoops mid season

- Quite a points swing last week end on a little mishap in the whoops from Roczen

- Horrible Atlanta 1 for Kenny (P9 after a bad start)

- 10 points lost with the medical flag then Wilson

- Not much whoops this season except in Atlanta

- A little bit of mid season down moments for Kenny, maybe he peaks each time too early

- And a bit of luck going on Webb's side several times, for instance Webb's few great starts or holeshots when he didn't qualify well in a Heat while Kenny did get burried while winning the Heat, which could easily be the contrary.

Right now, it is a 15 points gap for Webb, it is over, but it could have easily been tie or even on Roczen's advantage.

TXDirt
4/21/2021 8:23am
Just goes to show how hard it is to win a SX championship. Really any championship for that matter.

Between Kroc and Tomac they have exactly 1 SX 450 championship combined. Seems impossible.

Until you realize that between AC and Forkner they combined have one single championship in several years of Pro racing. One!!

Unreal, but it happens.

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/21/2021 8:31am
Kenny's window of opportunity is closing quickly. I don't see him winning a 450SX title on talent or domination, but I could imagine it happening through consistency and luck. He has beaten everyone this year except the indomitable Cooper Webb, who really hasn't had a bad race. That's the problem with consistent riders; if someone else is also consistent, your best asset just got marginalized.
karlsmith808
4/21/2021 9:03am
I want Kenny to win the championship but I know that Coop will win it.
gt80rider
4/21/2021 9:34am
His best years are behind him, and the old crew of Tomac, Marvin, El Hombre, Webb, ect won't be his biggest threat going forward, it will be guys like AC, Sexton and Pless...... all of whom are sporting less physical damage, as well as less burn-out.... K-Roc was a beast no doubt, and one of the fastest to ever throw a leg over, but he let one guy mentally destroy him the later part of his 450 career....
ATKpilot99
4/21/2021 10:25am
If he doesn't pull it off this season I see no reason why he wouldn't be a contender next season assuming he continues with his career. So my wishy washy answer? Maybe .

Post a reply to: Will Roczen ever win a SX Championship?

The Latest