Will KTM / WP ever give up on trying to reinvent the fork?

4/4/2022 3:51am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
When's the last time a Yamaha 2 stroke has won anything significant?
Skerby wrote:
Supercross title in 04. KTM hasn't won a single SX title with the 250SX, and they had McGrath. they are gonna have to get one of...
Supercross title in 04. KTM hasn't won a single SX title with the 250SX, and they had McGrath. they are gonna have to get one of those before that bike earns the respect of this community.
In total fairness, the 250SX has never even won a big bike main event or moto/overall
Not AMA, but in Australia the KTM team had great success with the 2 stroke at the time.
MX558
4/4/2022 5:20am
Does 3 lbs even matter in trophy trucks? Those guys often carry a whole spare person!
sandhills wrote:
Does 3lbs really matter that much given the minimum bike weights? If that rule didn't exist and we had super light <150lb bikes I could see...
Does 3lbs really matter that much given the minimum bike weights? If that rule didn't exist and we had super light <150lb bikes I could see it being worth it, but at over 200lb I have trouble buying it.
Not to mention the ktms handle better with the extra 3lbs on the front , at least mine did
PFitzG38
4/4/2022 10:21am
Broseph wrote:
I thought the op meant KTM forks in general. If he only meant AER, then my comments are out if line. The AER do alright. The...
I thought the op meant KTM forks in general. If he only meant AER, then my comments are out if line. The AER do alright.

The Xplor actually are the worst forks on the market. Literally cannot think of a currently produced fork that is less tunable and less versatile than the Xplor.

- They are shorter than both 4CS and AER for that signature Euro stinkbug feel.
- Clickers do nothing (this is well documented).
- The midvalve doesn’t have a shim stack.
-They are split function for unknown reasons.
-The stock valving is dangerous over 45mph.
-Revalve can help, but I’ve never found them to be anywhere near the rest of the forks on the market even after a revalve.
sandhills wrote:
It's all of them, 4CS and XPLOR are more clearly exemplary of the problem but I believe AER is as well part the pattern. It does...
It's all of them, 4CS and XPLOR are more clearly exemplary of the problem but I believe AER is as well part the pattern. It does not look like a company chasing a superior technology to me, but rather one running away from a certain design, scrambling to find anything BUT a traditional cartridge fork that will work. Absent other explanation, or a strong argument for the potential superiority of AER design elements, I think patent control must be at the root of it.

Arguments in defense of the AER forks:

1. 3lbs lighter with equivalent performance - Ok, if that were true that would be a straightforward advantage, and if the product did have an advantage you'd expect at least some pros to capitalize on that, but there has been no significant professional use that I'm aware of. I think the equivalent performance half of this claim is dubious.

2. Pros still do use KYB air forks - Yes, still a different product though, not exactly a great endorsement of AER that it's competitor has succeeded where it has not.

I find several anecdotal references online that prior to 4CS KTM was licensing it's cartridge technology from Ohlins. It seems like that relationship was well established but I can't discern exactly what the timeline is. Kenth Ohlins regains control of the company in 2006, KTM switches to 4CS in something like 2013-2015, and Ohlins gets bought by Tenneco in 2018. It is conceivable that either Ohlins was financially pressured to turn the screws KTM in the licensing deal, or KTM saw the writing on the wall that Ohlins would eventually be bought out and did not want to be beholden to it's new owners.

I guess if there is a more accurate product axis at play here it's not air forks vs spring, it would be symmetrical vs split damping systems. We have the 4CS split damping - failure, XPLOR split damping - mediocre, AER split function - praised as adequate, but little to no penetration into professional use. And on the other hand symmetrically damped Cone Valve and symmetrically damped KYB air forks are both professionally viable products.

Symmetrical Cone Valve forks in production bikes would be the logical outcome here, and the fact that it hasn't happened yet makes me wonder if that fork too is subject to patent licensing royalties.
We’re you this clueless before you left the sport, or are you just frustrated it’s left you behind? It sounds like you want companies to stop evolving

The Shop

sandhills
4/4/2022 10:56am
PFitzG38 wrote:
We’re you this clueless before you left the sport, or are you just frustrated it’s left you behind? It sounds like you want companies to stop...
We’re you this clueless before you left the sport, or are you just frustrated it’s left you behind? It sounds like you want companies to stop evolving
Oh I was a clueless teenager when I left the sport for sure. I actually wanted a KTM back then.
Sandusky26
4/4/2022 11:24am
PFitzG38 wrote:
We’re you this clueless before you left the sport, or are you just frustrated it’s left you behind? It sounds like you want companies to stop...
sandhills wrote:
Oh I was a clueless teenager when I left the sport for sure. I actually wanted a KTM back then.
I'm glad you grew up and came to your senses.
Bruce372
4/4/2022 11:37am
So how is the damping cartridge design on the aer different from the kyb or shows?

People really do seem to over think a lot of this stuff imo
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/4/2022 4:22pm
sandhills wrote:
Thread unlocked
Ready to acknowledge several top pros are riding air forks yet?
NSP139
4/4/2022 4:26pm
sandhills wrote:
Thread unlocked
soggy wrote:
Just curious can you name the top Pros that are running AER?
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/4/2022 4:31pm
sandhills wrote:
Thread unlocked
soggy wrote:
NSP139 wrote:
Did I say AER or air?
NSP139
4/4/2022 4:38pm
soggy wrote:
NSP139 wrote:
soggy wrote:
Did I say AER or air?
This is an old thread but if I remember remember the OP was questioning the Aer on the KTMs it's already been established that Yamaha and some of the other teams are running the psf one which is actually my favorite Fork LOL
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
4/4/2022 4:40pm
The top pros are not running anything oem.
NSP139
4/4/2022 4:40pm
I can't think of anyone running the AER or even the air cone valve please enlighten me
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/4/2022 4:43pm
NSP139 wrote:
This is an old thread but if I remember remember the OP was questioning the Aer on the KTMs it's already been established that Yamaha and...
This is an old thread but if I remember remember the OP was questioning the Aer on the KTMs it's already been established that Yamaha and some of the other teams are running the psf one which is actually my favorite Fork LOL
His whole thing was trying to say air is inferior to spring. Well if that was the case I don’t think the entire Star Yamaha team would be running air forks. I think Barcia is riding an air fork on his GG as well.
NSP139
4/4/2022 4:44pm
wrc777 wrote:
The air option on the cone valve is not OEM
NSP139
4/4/2022 4:51pm
NSP139 wrote:
This is an old thread but if I remember remember the OP was questioning the Aer on the KTMs it's already been established that Yamaha and...
soggy wrote:
His whole thing was trying to say air is inferior to spring. Well if that was the case I don’t think the entire Star Yamaha team...
His whole thing was trying to say air is inferior to spring. Well if that was the case I don’t think the entire Star Yamaha team would be running air forks. I think Barcia is riding an air fork on his GG as well.
I just caught the beginning of the thread where he was complaining about the AER and not wanting to buy a KTM because of the inferior Fork
sandhills
4/4/2022 5:00pm
soggy wrote:
Yes. But not WPs.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/4/2022 5:04pm
soggy wrote:
sandhills wrote:
Yes. But not WPs.
Barcia?
NSP139
4/4/2022 5:09pm
soggy wrote:
sandhills wrote:
Yes. But not WPs.
soggy wrote:
Barcia?
He doesn't have to pay to get his Forks to work correctly lol
NSP139
4/4/2022 5:10pm
If he still running air I do know that was a rumor earlier
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/4/2022 5:18pm
Neither do most people with AER. The vocal minority are the ones posting here. Plenty of riders are happy with the AER forks.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
4/4/2022 5:20pm
NSP139 wrote:
Ktm team guys aren’t running the wp cone valves we can buy either. None of the top pro Japanese bikes are riding on $3k forks either.
sandhills
4/4/2022 5:20pm
soggy wrote:
Barcia?
I think he's got springs in there but KTM doesn't want to say that.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/4/2022 5:22pm
soggy wrote:
Barcia?
sandhills wrote:
I think he's got springs in there but KTM doesn't want to say that.
Ok go back to Reddit with the other tinfoil hats
NSP139
4/4/2022 5:44pm
soggy wrote:
Neither do most people with AER. The vocal minority are the ones posting here. Plenty of riders are happy with the AER forks.
Plenty of riders are very unhappy with their your AER forks it's all about being comfortable in your setup what's good for me may not be good for you doesn't mean either one is better I know plenty of people back in the day that hated the psf one it's all personal preference
NSP139
4/4/2022 5:47pm
NSP139 wrote:
wrc777 wrote:
Ktm team guys aren’t running the wp cone valves we can buy either. None of the top pro Japanese bikes are riding on $3k forks either.
That 50 mm cone valve runs the same cartridge that the 48 obviously there is modified Parts in there but you can buy a lot of the stuff by the rules in the 250 class it has to be publicly available
Sandusky26
4/5/2022 1:51am
wrc777 wrote:
Plenty of guys on jap bikes running stock components. Not the top guys, but further back in the pack.
MUTHERFUKER
4/6/2022 10:04am
Rjk31 wrote:
You seem to think you know an awful lot about their forks for being away for so long.. Ride some stock bikes. They offer 2 different...
You seem to think you know an awful lot about their forks for being away for so long..

Ride some stock bikes. They offer 2 different styles of fork for 3 different styles of riding. If you choose the wrong bike for the desired purpose its on you, not the forks. I would know.

I bought a xcw with the intention of not racing anymore and just riding single track. That lasted a couple months and I was back building an MX track. I bought the drop in WP 6500 cartridges and honestly it's better than anything I have had built or valved on my Suzuki's. It can handle slow technical stuff and it is a dream on the track. I would say WP knows a little more than you're giving them credit for 🤷 I know my next bike will be a ktm
What forks did your XC-W come with OE? Im assuming Xplor standard?

What difference are the 6500 drop ins?

Is the regular Xplor OC and the 6500 CC?
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/6/2022 10:15am
Wow, some of the arguments in here are so off base. Go walk around the pits at your local races. I am willing to bet that just as many people with spring forks paid for a revalve as those who have AER air forks (or air forks in general).
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
4/6/2022 10:27am
What forks did your XC-W come with OE? Im assuming Xplor standard? What difference are the 6500 drop ins? Is the regular Xplor OC and the...
What forks did your XC-W come with OE? Im assuming Xplor standard?

What difference are the 6500 drop ins?

Is the regular Xplor OC and the 6500 CC?
Yes I believe so but the valving setup is also quite a bit different. Xplor have separate comp and rebound, one in each leg. 6500 has both in each leg like a kyb or Showa. You lose the finger adjusters and get flat heads instead. It does still have external spring preload adjustment with a wrench. You also gain spring preload adjustment if you use the 6500 to convert aer to spring.

Post a reply to: Will KTM / WP ever give up on trying to reinvent the fork?

The Latest