Will Eli be ready for the nationals?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/27/2020 10:19 AM

It seems, at least in the last two years the SX winner is not ready for the nationals. Yes, there is more time to prep right now than usual but will Eli be in top shape and ready?

In the last three years, he was probably upset about not winning the SX and really motivated to win the nationals.

Will he be as motivated now? Will being a new dad hurt his conditioning?

|

6/27/2020 10:20 AM

This should be a “Poll”.......

|

6/27/2020 10:23 AM

I was thinking that finally getting that Supercross championship and going into the outdoors without feeling like he "failed" (used lightly) would leave him better prepared mentally than previous years.
He cruised this championship so I don't think he would be drained going into outdoors.

|

6/27/2020 10:25 AM

2X longer break between the end of SX and start of MX. Everyone will be fine.

|

6/27/2020 10:25 AM

kieran_macca wrote:

I was thinking that finally getting that Supercross championship and going into the outdoors without feeling like he "failed" (used lightly) would leave him better prepared mentally than previous years.
He cruised this championship so I don't think he would be drained going into outdoors.

You obviously have raced before! I’m not sure a lot of guys around here actually understand the mental drain these guys go thru when they don’t win as aposed to winning

|

6/27/2020 10:34 AM

Yes

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

6/27/2020 10:38 AM

Considering there may only be two nationals at this point we may never really know. Although he normally comes out swinging outdoors as opposed to SX

|

6/27/2020 10:40 AM

Will he be ready?

Yes.

Will having a child affect him?

If his performance in Utah is any indication, I’d say he will be fine.

|

6/27/2020 10:49 AM

He won the title the last 3 years and he was in the SX title fight during these years as well. The 20 or so more points that he scored this season shouldn't make a difference plus he has a much longer break now

|

6/27/2020 11:01 AM

tomac might just be better then ever going into this outdoor season

|

6/27/2020 11:21 AM

A better question might be, will the nationals be ready for Eli?

|

6/27/2020 12:12 PM

The most dominant rider on this side of the pond - me thinks he'll be fine.

|

6/27/2020 12:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2020 12:24 PM

The bike did not change much, so he should not have too many setup issues. He seems very relaxed in interviews he's done post-SX. Unless the baby is keeping him all night every night, I think he's going to be OK.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

6/27/2020 12:26 PM

Stamp it...
#BEASTMODE!!!
For the MX nationals..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

6/27/2020 12:29 PM

You said the last two years the SX winner hasn't been ready? Well who was the MX winner the last 3?

|

6/27/2020 12:40 PM

|

6/27/2020 12:46 PM

Eli was born ready. He’s a savage, son of a savage. Photo

|

6/27/2020 12:52 PM

stremme12 wrote:

You said the last two years the SX winner hasn't been ready? Well who was the MX winner the last 3?

Anderson and Webb both underperformed at the nationals after winning their SX title.

|

6/27/2020 12:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2020 1:52 PM

hamncheeze wrote:

The bike did not change much, so he should not have too many setup issues. He seems very relaxed in interviews he's done post-SX. Unless the baby is keeping him all night every night, I think he's going to be OK.

I do agree it looks like Eli is at his peak right now mentally.

But don't most new Dads get fat? smile

|

6/27/2020 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2020 1:11 PM

stremme12 wrote:

kpiper wrote:

Anderson and Webb both underperformed at the nationals after winning their SX title.

Anderson and Webb aren't Eli Tomac. None have won a 450 outdoor title. Eli has 3.

Anderson has 0 overall wins in motocross on the 450.

Webb has 1 overall win.

They didn't underperform. They got the results they normally get outdoors.

How can you say Webb underperformed when he got his best overall finish in motocross after winning his SX title.

It just goes along with what's wrong with the sport. If you don't win people think something is wrong with you or you're underperforming.

|

6/27/2020 12:59 PM

Will ANYONE be ready for Eli? That's the real question.

|

6/27/2020 1:01 PM

I think he will be fine and ready to go,more confident than ever with a SX title. it's possible he has the Championship hangover and starts slow but not probable.He is stronger outdoors than in.

|

6/27/2020 1:06 PM

I think he will be great, might have one of his better years outdoors. At the muddy sx the way he was railing the ruts and soft corners he looked really good in those corners so I expect him to be good.

|

6/27/2020 1:14 PM

stremme12 wrote:

kpiper wrote:

Or they over performed in SX

|

6/27/2020 1:56 PM

stremme12 wrote:

kpiper wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

Yes, I get that. I was more just wondering about the SX 'hangover' many talk about. Will Eli have it or not.

|

6/27/2020 1:57 PM

STAYS READY!

|

6/27/2020 2:00 PM

He’ll piss it in

|

6/27/2020 2:02 PM

I suspect he may show up 50 lbs overweight and out of shape...

Is this really a question?

|

6/27/2020 2:02 PM

stremme12 wrote:

Anderson and Webb aren't Eli Tomac. None have won a 450 outdoor title. Eli has 3.

Anderson has 0 overall wins in motocross on the 450.

Webb has 1 overall win.

They didn't underperform. They got the results they normally get outdoors.

How can you say Webb underperformed when he got his best overall finish in motocross after winning his SX title.

It just goes along with what's wrong with the sport. If you don't win people think something is wrong with you or you're underperforming.

If you go from winning the 450 SX series and then not really in contention for it outdoors, yes I would say underperformed.

I bet each of those riders felt they underperformed some if you asked them. I sure would feel that way if I were the new 450 SX champ and didn't contend for the national title.

I guess me musing about it on a discussion forum is what's wrong with the sport?

|

6/27/2020 2:04 PM

kpiper wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

kpiper wrote:

Yes, I get that. I was more just wondering about the SX 'hangover' many talk about. Will Eli have it or not.

I think no he won’t.

|