Will Dungey drop down to thelp MM?!

down4glamis
8/17/2015 8:11am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2015 8:09pm
Team tactics! Its been 14 years since something like that has happened, but after the podium speeches, will Decoster be more apt to having his 450 champ help his teammate button this up?!?!

People seem to be all for the Yamaha team doing it, why not up the ante and make this even more exciting!
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
8/17/2015 8:17am
I doubt it. But I wouldn't rule out KTM giving orders to rockstar husky and the tld KTM boys to do whatever they can to screw with Martin
tprice07
8/17/2015 8:18am
Dungey can't drop down, can he? He isn't eligible for the 250 class.

The Shop

down4glamis
8/17/2015 8:22am
Look it up here "2001 MX"

At this point, Carmichael had already signed a deal to move over to Team Honda for 2002, and his KX250 was getting a little long in the tooth. But RC doesn’t take losing very well, and he did some more testing to improve his green machine. He fired back with dominant wins at Millville and Binghamton the clinch the championship. Then he decided to drop back to the 125s for the final round at Steel City. Carmichael was tied atop the all-time 125 career win list with Mark Barnett, and wanted to go after the record. But that put him on a collision course with perhaps the most dramatic 125 title fight ever.

Langston and Brown battled, with Langston holding a small edge heading to Steel City. Carmichael met them there looking to break the win record on a KX125. Brown had been riding and training at Carmichael’s house all summer, which raised suspicion that RC was dropping down to help his buddy. RC responded by saying to Langston, famously, “Don’t worry, I won’t even touch you when I go past you.”

Carmichael started nearly last in the first moto and could only get to third. Brown won the race (and flipped off Langston at the finish!) to close in on points, but Langston still had a slight points lead. Then Brown crashed early in moto two. With Carmichael pulling out a massive lead, Langston circulated up front, looking to cruise home with KTM’s first-ever AMA National Championship. Then disaster struck. Spokes started breaking on Langston’s rear wheel. Brown was coming through traffic in a hurry, while Langston started falling through the pack. Finally, in the waning moments, Langston’s wheel collapsed, and so did his championship hopes. Brown had it, so he even moved over to allow Brandon Jesseman to pass him, thus giving Carmichael the overall (and all-time 125 win record) via 3-1 scores. And Brown won the championship, celebrating with tears of joy at the finish, while Langston sat in the mechanics’ area about 20 feet away, crying, as well, over a championship lost to a broken wheel
down4glamis
8/17/2015 8:24am
Are we going to have a new thread for this topic every day? Great first post.
hthttp://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/What-if-Dungey-raced-the-…
I scrolled down a little ways looking for a relevant topic, guess I did not go far enough. I may be new here but I am not "new". I come to read topics that are happening at the time, and this one, after the podium speeches it was just the only thing i wanted to read/see
ATKpilot99
8/17/2015 8:25am
[url=http://vault.racerxonline.com/2001/mx/intro]Look it up here "2001 MX"[/url] At this point, Carmichael had already signed a deal to move over to Team Honda for 2002, and his KX250...

At this point, Carmichael had already signed a deal to move over to Team Honda for 2002, and his KX250 was getting a little long in the tooth. But RC doesn’t take losing very well, and he did some more testing to improve his green machine. He fired back with dominant wins at Millville and Binghamton the clinch the championship. Then he decided to drop back to the 125s for the final round at Steel City. Carmichael was tied atop the all-time 125 career win list with Mark Barnett, and wanted to go after the record. But that put him on a collision course with perhaps the most dramatic 125 title fight ever.

Langston and Brown battled, with Langston holding a small edge heading to Steel City. Carmichael met them there looking to break the win record on a KX125. Brown had been riding and training at Carmichael’s house all summer, which raised suspicion that RC was dropping down to help his buddy. RC responded by saying to Langston, famously, “Don’t worry, I won’t even touch you when I go past you.”

Carmichael started nearly last in the first moto and could only get to third. Brown won the race (and flipped off Langston at the finish!) to close in on points, but Langston still had a slight points lead. Then Brown crashed early in moto two. With Carmichael pulling out a massive lead, Langston circulated up front, looking to cruise home with KTM’s first-ever AMA National Championship. Then disaster struck. Spokes started breaking on Langston’s rear wheel. Brown was coming through traffic in a hurry, while Langston started falling through the pack. Finally, in the waning moments, Langston’s wheel collapsed, and so did his championship hopes. Brown had it, so he even moved over to allow Brandon Jesseman to pass him, thus giving Carmichael the overall (and all-time 125 win record) via 3-1 scores. And Brown won the championship, celebrating with tears of joy at the finish, while Langston sat in the mechanics’ area about 20 feet away, crying, as well, over a championship lost to a broken wheel
We're living in a very different moto world.
SKlein
8/17/2015 9:13am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2015 9:18am
Are we going to have a new thread for this topic every day? Great first post.
hthttp://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/What-if-Dungey-raced-the-…
I scrolled down a little ways looking for a relevant topic, guess I did not go far enough. I may be new here but I am...
I scrolled down a little ways looking for a relevant topic, guess I did not go far enough. I may be new here but I am not "new". I come to read topics that are happening at the time, and this one, after the podium speeches it was just the only thing i wanted to read/see
The search bar is helpful as well.
DownSouth
8/17/2015 10:39am
tprice07 wrote:
Dungey can't drop down, can he? He isn't eligible for the 250 class.
Dungey could race the 250 MX class but he won't. A rider can not point out of MX, only SX.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3665th
8/17/2015 2:22pm
[url=http://vault.racerxonline.com/2001/mx/intro]Look it up here "2001 MX"[/url] At this point, Carmichael had already signed a deal to move over to Team Honda for 2002, and his KX250...

Yes I remember this. That was a very odd day of racing for sure.
8/17/2015 2:36pm

Never heard or read about this. Very interesting and a little weird story. Thank you very much for sharing!

It reminds me a bit of a legendary feat Stefan Everts pulled of in the year where the GP's only raced 1 race on sunday for points instead of the 2 moto format. He became 'Mister 875cc' by winning all 3 the GP classes that day (i think it was a French GP, could be wrong here though..) in the 125 / 250 / 500 classes.

He somehow managed to do this and obviously broke records while at it. Later that year (this could've been the last GP actually i don't remember it all that good) but in the 125cc category he often dropped down and competed since i guess he didn't like the single moto format. He won so often in the 125cc class that year (he only started doing this a quarter into the season i believe) that he came very close to winning 2 world titles that year. I think he ended up 2nd in the 125 class behind Steve Ramon or Michael Maschio (probly spelled wrong).

This story could have some errors in it but i am pretty sure it happened around the year 2004
jsmx198
8/17/2015 3:48pm

Rumors look to be true..... RD5 with black backgrounds this weekend at Ironman.....
Alan_Hess
8/17/2015 4:17pm
jsmx198 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/17/101828/s1200_RD5.jpg[/img] Rumors look to be true..... RD5 with black backgrounds this weekend at Ironman.....

Rumors look to be true..... RD5 with black backgrounds this weekend at Ironman.....
Blink
mx836
8/17/2015 4:23pm
jsmx198 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/17/101828/s1200_RD5.jpg[/img] Rumors look to be true..... RD5 with black backgrounds this weekend at Ironman.....

My jaw just hit the floor. No way.
BB67
8/17/2015 4:32pm
NO,

Roger D.
RD5
MM25
Jmart
= professional, only clown here is Webb.
es337
8/17/2015 4:57pm
jsmx198 wrote:

lol source?
RedDirtDog
8/17/2015 5:01pm
jsmx198 wrote:

Ohh Snap
8/17/2015 5:15pm
Saylor is notorious for great photo shop jobs but I can't tell if this is one of them or if he's breaking news to us!
bd
8/17/2015 5:15pm
Doubtful but I would love it. TLD will be assisting MM25.... count on it.
Bultaco
8/17/2015 5:22pm
jsmx198 wrote:

Can't be a current pic. I just saw the KTM semi, East bound on I80 in central Nebraska. Not to mention more than one team has been known to play a joke once in a while.
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
8/17/2015 5:24pm
i heard wally whoop de dooSilly built those wheels for langston.....
51xc
8/17/2015 5:26pm
there are team tactics in every team, this time it was done very obvious, that's the difference. however, in this case i don't think there was any pressure from star racing management or yamaha other than 'don't take each other out and ride a wider bike than usual'. this was more of a team mate favor aka i got ya back bro thing.
RMT
8/17/2015 6:17pm
Lets say RD does race the 250 class. Do you think he would win going away? Would be fun to find out. Those young kids are pretty quick and it might be a really close race, who knows.
early
Fantasy
2139th
8/17/2015 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2015 6:56pm
RMT wrote:
Lets say RD does race the 250 class. Do you think he would win going away? Would be fun to find out. Those young kids are...
Lets say RD does race the 250 class. Do you think he would win going away? Would be fun to find out. Those young kids are pretty quick and it might be a really close race, who knows.
Seems to me like the speed of the top 250 riders and the top 450 guys are pretty close since once they move up they tend to finish where they were in the 250 class. By speed i am referring to maximum potential on any given bike they ride.

Look at Roczen and Tomac, they were by far the fastest their final year in 250s, when they moved up Roczen won the title and Tomac won a race and podiumed a bunch when he came back from injury.

More recently Anderson and Baggett and Seely have been finishing about where they did in 250s if not a little better.

We know that Marvin is no slouch, hes got that smooth French style and hes been around forever, but hes not riding away from J Mart and Coop so they are definitely hauling too. Pity AC isnt there to play second spoiler.
KlootZak
8/17/2015 8:09pm
... That tells you how valuable Hill has been this season Unsure

Post a reply to: Will Dungey drop down to thelp MM?!

The Latest