Will 72 matter?

greenmx5
Last pulp show they talked about adding multiple main events in a night. A monster energy cup type night every round. That would make 51 main events a year. Someone could beat 72 in 2 years.Even if you made an overall event winner for the night, it doesn't hold the same concept. It also doesnt really give anyone else the chance to say they have legitimately beat the king (if we ever came to that point.) Records are made to be broken. That's one of the reasons my not a fan of that type of format. Any thoughts?
|
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
4/1/2017 9:15am
I am all for better racing. Don't really care about the records.
wreckitrandy
4/1/2017 9:24am
greenmx5 wrote:
Last pulp show they talked about adding multiple main events in a night. A monster energy cup type night every round. That would make 51 main...
Last pulp show they talked about adding multiple main events in a night. A monster energy cup type night every round. That would make 51 main events a year. Someone could beat 72 in 2 years.Even if you made an overall event winner for the night, it doesn't hold the same concept. It also doesnt really give anyone else the chance to say they have legitimately beat the king (if we ever came to that point.) Records are made to be broken. That's one of the reasons my not a fan of that type of format. Any thoughts?
I agree with this assessment.
Katoomey
4/1/2017 9:38am
so they should never change or do anything to supercross so the records aren't disrupted?

does that idea sound any better inside your head? because that sounds ridiculous to me.
JBecker 72
4/1/2017 9:39am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2017 9:39am
Overall wins are what should count for the records. The 3 mains idea sounds like a great idea to me.

The Shop

4/1/2017 9:55am
I don't know how you could say you legitimately beat the King when's he's not even racing.
tcallahan707
4/1/2017 10:01am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2017 10:02am
I don't see why winning the overall on the night wouldn't count. A win is a win.

I am curious if we would still consider them mains.
4/1/2017 10:03am
He'll always be the king of SX. It's like Richard Petty in NASCAR. Some people claim Earnhardt or Johnson to be better, but Petty will walkways be considered the king.
rmoto003
4/1/2017 10:06am
Im pretty sure the overall winner of the night would be considered as "1" main event win. So still 17 "main event wins" a year.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/1/2017 10:06am
The three mains wouldn't count as separate wins, only the overall for the night counts (like an outdoor national).
visser62
4/1/2017 10:21am
This is why the record books in any sport are kind of misleading.

They only had 10 mains a year in RJ's day, so it isn't that incredible to me when someone beats his record.

Just look at how much baseball has changed with different mound regulations and such.
4/1/2017 10:48am
We already have a precedent for this. In 1985 there were two mains, but we only count the overall winner for the event in the record books, not each moto winner. I'm sure we would continue to score the records like this if we go to multiple mains in the future.
Flip109
4/1/2017 10:56am
2 moto format. Just like nationals.
mb60
4/1/2017 10:58am
2 main 15 laps. Put the 250 main in between them. The points per main determines overall winner. Do away with the semis in my opinion.
Crush
4/1/2017 12:40pm
Didn't they do two mains in 85?
greenmx5
4/1/2017 12:58pm
Katoomey wrote:
so they should never change or do anything to supercross so the records aren't disrupted? does that idea sound any better inside your head? because that...
so they should never change or do anything to supercross so the records aren't disrupted?

does that idea sound any better inside your head? because that sounds ridiculous to me.
That's not what I said. They changed mains to 20 minutes plus 1 this year and I was happy. I even think 2 moto format would work for supercross with 1 main winner. I was saying that I think a 3 main format with 1 event winner in one night is way out there because a lot can happen in 3 races. Sure it's exciting for one time a year, but not every round.

I was simply saying, would the 72 hold any value if someone broke it with a format that is night and day different from when Jeremy did it.

Have to explain everything down to the very spec of detail around here for most....
greenmx5
4/1/2017 12:58pm
mb60 wrote:
2 main 15 laps. Put the 250 main in between them. The points per main determines overall winner. Do away with the semis in my opinion.
I like this idea the best.
Jeff alessi
4/1/2017 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2017 3:01pm
greenmx5 wrote:
Last pulp show they talked about adding multiple main events in a night. A monster energy cup type night every round. That would make 51 main...
Award points to how many people you pass, and laps led in a main. Put a fair clause on it if you finish first to last find a ratio that works out for riders who have a bad night. A ratio would mean if you start in last and pass to 5 you get 3 or 5 points more. But if you start last and pass to fifth and then crash on a triple n break your front brake n get 18th uou still get 10 points plus your finish. Or say your leading from start to finish n your bike stops working on the last lap, 15points. Figure out a ratio.

I don't think they will change the amount of mains but if they did it would change all records and I dont see the guys who worked hard to get those records being voided. The legacy of supercross is 1 main a night.
tcallahan707
4/1/2017 3:39pm
greenmx5 wrote:
Award points to how many people you pass, and laps led in a main. Put a fair clause on it if you finish first to last...
Award points to how many people you pass, and laps led in a main. Put a fair clause on it if you finish first to last find a ratio that works out for riders who have a bad night. A ratio would mean if you start in last and pass to 5 you get 3 or 5 points more. But if you start last and pass to fifth and then crash on a triple n break your front brake n get 18th uou still get 10 points plus your finish. Or say your leading from start to finish n your bike stops working on the last lap, 15points. Figure out a ratio.

I don't think they will change the amount of mains but if they did it would change all records and I dont see the guys who worked hard to get those records being voided. The legacy of supercross is 1 main a night.
I can get on board with some sort of bonus point for heat win but holy shit, that would be brutal to understand. Crashes and mechanicals are part of the sport. If you finish last because you crashed out or bike broke, then sorry, that's racing. Better luck next week.
block75
4/1/2017 4:04pm
ML512 wrote:
The three mains wouldn't count as separate wins, only the overall for the night counts (like an outdoor national).
but outdoors do count as seperate wins in the record books don't they? RC and James went 24-0
tcallahan707
4/1/2017 4:06pm
ML512 wrote:
block75 wrote:
but outdoors do count as seperate wins in the record books don't they? RC and James went 24-0
People take note of a perfect season but they don't count as wins. RC has 102 wins outdoors. That is referring to overalls.
4/1/2017 4:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2017 4:12pm
ML512 wrote:
block75 wrote:
I think that's just so that we can define a "perfect season". It's kind of like in baseball: a pitcher can throw a no-hitter, but it isn't considered a perfect game if he walked two batters.

We don't credit James and RC with 24 outdoor wins during their perfect seasons, just 12 overall victories each year.
Question
4/1/2017 4:14pm

Not the same topic but 1 thing that could be exciting is to see the top 5 of the coast in 250 included into the second 450 main. A mxdn kind of format, which is magic when riders like RV or Roczen are pinning the 250s. Giving the 250s the inside gates would be controversial though as I would not be surprised to see some making the podium sometimes. These riders could earn some extra points too for their own championship.
block75
4/1/2017 4:15pm
ML512 wrote:
block75 wrote:
I think that's just so that we can define a "perfect season". It's kind of like in baseball: a pitcher can throw a no-hitter, but it...
I think that's just so that we can define a "perfect season". It's kind of like in baseball: a pitcher can throw a no-hitter, but it isn't considered a perfect game if he walked two batters.

We don't credit James and RC with 24 outdoor wins during their perfect seasons, just 12 overall victories each year.
Yeah ok no dramas wasn't sure how they counted them.

Post a reply to: Will 72 matter?

The Latest