Will 2020 be the year for the RMZ450?

2/18/2019 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2019 5:48pm
Will they finally update and overhaul the engine and chasis?
|
Spagina767
2/18/2019 8:41pm
No. They made significant changes in 2018. I would assume they will jump on the Estart wagon, and try to shave a few pounds off the bike. I wouldn't expect to see a completely new bike from them, by a longshot.
2/18/2019 8:57pm
I know you can expect a 6% price increase on average for parts prices starting on February 25th thanks Suzuki!
yz133rider
2/18/2019 8:58pm
I dont even expect to see e start in 2020 honestly
kevin204
Fantasy
3416th
2/18/2019 8:59pm
I'd kinda be surprised if they even added e-start, given the weight it would add to a bike that's already the heaviest in the class. But hopefully they can pull it off and even manage to shed a few pounds.

The Shop

drt410
2/18/2019 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 9:09pm
Im honestly kind of wondering if that RMZ250 frame will make its way over to the 450. Yamaha and Honda share frames. The 250 frame now has twin downtubes down the front, which is a first for all alum 4 strokes. I cant see why they would be the only alum frame bike (besides yam backward exhaust) to have a centerport exhaust, and yet only use it on the new 250... This allows the head to have the centrally mounted exhaust port (something Honda for some reason explained they went dual exhaust for since the frame was in the way).

It doesnt really make sense why they are using two separate frames, when you dont have to, and then using brand new to 4 strokes tech, only on their 250, when both could have it. Id love to see them use this frame on the 450, with the required new head, and also shave a few pounds and add e/start.. like Honda did year 2 of the model refresh-so there is a precidence. Then year 3 the case was cast without the kicker port.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
2/18/2019 9:42pm
it needs to lose 10 lbs so when they add e start they will weigh the same
Akira
2/18/2019 9:51pm
Will 2020 be the year for the RMZ450?

Nah, Webb is locked with Orange for one more year ... at the very least
Rotaholic
2/18/2019 10:02pm
It’s only the heaviest bike by 1lb, sure it needs an engine update and e start, ecu app for your phone, but it still not that bad of a bike that everyone makes out. I can tell you it will never get to where the KTM/husky are. I will be buying a 2020 regardless, I just dig Suzuki’s
cody41
2/19/2019 4:50am
I actually hope they don’t put an e start on the rmz450. It’s a differentiator and all of the bikes have e start. There’s a handful of guys who don’t want to play with battery tenders and have their bikes not start at the track.
2/19/2019 4:54am
drt410 wrote:
Im honestly kind of wondering if that RMZ250 frame will make its way over to the 450. Yamaha and Honda share frames. The 250 frame now...
Im honestly kind of wondering if that RMZ250 frame will make its way over to the 450. Yamaha and Honda share frames. The 250 frame now has twin downtubes down the front, which is a first for all alum 4 strokes. I cant see why they would be the only alum frame bike (besides yam backward exhaust) to have a centerport exhaust, and yet only use it on the new 250... This allows the head to have the centrally mounted exhaust port (something Honda for some reason explained they went dual exhaust for since the frame was in the way).

It doesnt really make sense why they are using two separate frames, when you dont have to, and then using brand new to 4 strokes tech, only on their 250, when both could have it. Id love to see them use this frame on the 450, with the required new head, and also shave a few pounds and add e/start.. like Honda did year 2 of the model refresh-so there is a precidence. Then year 3 the case was cast without the kicker port.
The 250 frame is this way so a two stroke engine can be dropped in. According to Vital anyway
JAFO92
2/19/2019 7:38am
cody41 wrote:
I actually hope they don’t put an e start on the rmz450. It’s a differentiator and all of the bikes have e start. There’s a handful...
I actually hope they don’t put an e start on the rmz450. It’s a differentiator and all of the bikes have e start. There’s a handful of guys who don’t want to play with battery tenders and have their bikes not start at the track.
Ixna on atteriesba.
TeamGreen
2/19/2019 7:39am
The RMZ is suppose to get some new electronics...does that mean e-start? We'll see.
They're playing with a tuning tool that seems to allow really good access to mapping/tuning. I'm already a huge fan of the 450s launch modes & will be adding that type of system to my new KTM...
A good launch system is THAT impressive.

As to comments about a new frame/the 450 using the 250 frame: BOTH models have new frame/chassis. The 450 got it on the 2018 & the 250 got it for 2019.

I'll be riding the new 250 soon. I plan taking it to Twisted Developments dyno and comparing stock, a couple of different pipes, those same pipes with fuel, and the do it all over again in those variations...but, with Jamie's maps. Why? Because, this bike seems to be one of the easiest for an average 85 rider to get on race. The 250 received plenty of changes/improvements to the engine...but, it's not too different. That's good for the aftermarket/engine builders.

I'll be taking the suspension to Enzo (most likely) and balancing it out for a 145-165 pound rider of decent/Intermediate speed. I'll have some of my "lighter" friends like SlipDog and OB ride it and help me dial it in for skinny folk. Then I want to take an 85 rider & set him loose on it to see how we did. I have PLENTY of average-regular Joes to pick from. This should be fun.
2/19/2019 11:10am
has anyone seen the new RMZ 250? when driving or at the dealer?
Steve125
Fantasy
2759th
2/19/2019 12:07pm

I really don't think they'll change much in the next 2-3 years..I'm very happy with my leftover 18 the way it is. Saved over 4lbs with the exhaust, added a link, FC revalve and respring, Dyno tuned the A/F ratio (added 3 hp with that) just waiting for a Rekluse Radius CX to finish it off.

2/19/2019 12:35pm
INB4 @malachi177 comes in here

"SUSZUKIS R FINE! I LITERALLY PULL HOLSHOTES IN JUNIOR ON MY RMZ. THEY ARE NOT SLOWER THAN ALL THE REST OF THE OEMS I LITERALLY PULL SOME 450S ON MY RMZ250"
2/19/2019 12:57pm
INB4 @malachi177 comes in here "SUSZUKIS R FINE! I LITERALLY PULL HOLSHOTES IN JUNIOR ON MY RMZ. THEY ARE NOT SLOWER THAN ALL THE REST OF...
INB4 @malachi177 comes in here

"SUSZUKIS R FINE! I LITERALLY PULL HOLSHOTES IN JUNIOR ON MY RMZ. THEY ARE NOT SLOWER THAN ALL THE REST OF THE OEMS I LITERALLY PULL SOME 450S ON MY RMZ250"
You're way over your quota of words
2/19/2019 1:31pm
TeamGreen wrote:
The RMZ is suppose to get some new electronics...does that mean e-start? We'll see. They're playing with a tuning tool that seems to allow really good...
The RMZ is suppose to get some new electronics...does that mean e-start? We'll see.
They're playing with a tuning tool that seems to allow really good access to mapping/tuning. I'm already a huge fan of the 450s launch modes & will be adding that type of system to my new KTM...

As to comments about a new frame/the 450 using the 250 frame: BOTH models have new frame/chassis. The 450 got it on the 2018 & the 250 got it for 2019.

I'll be riding the new 250 soon. I plan taking it to Twisted Developments dyno and comparing stock, a couple of different pipes, those same pipes with fuel, and the do it all over again in those variations...but, with Jamie's maps. Why? Because, this bike seems to be one of the easiest for an average 85 rider to get on race. The 250 received plenty of changes/improvements to the engine...but, it's not too different. That's good for the aftermarket/engine builders.

I'll be taking the suspension to Enzo (most likely) and balancing it out for a 145-165 pound rider of decent/Intermediate speed. I'll have some of my "lighter" friends like SlipDog and OB ride it and help me dial it in for skinny folk. Then I want to take an 85 rider & set him loose on it to see how we did. I have PLENTY of average-regular Joes to pick from. This should be fun.
Both models DO NOT have the same frame.

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
2/19/2019 1:37pm
TeamGreen wrote:
The RMZ is suppose to get some new electronics...does that mean e-start? We'll see. They're playing with a tuning tool that seems to allow really good...

Mememe! Please? ?
mxrose3
Fantasy
853rd
2/19/2019 1:47pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Both models DO NOT have the same frame. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/19/326476/s1200_exhaust.jpg[/img]
Both models DO NOT have the same frame.

I think TeamGreen meant that they Both have NEW frames, not the same frame.
motomike894
2/19/2019 2:03pm
Steve125 wrote:
I really don't think they'll change much in the next 2-3 years..I'm very happy with my leftover 18 the way it is. Saved over 4lbs with...

I really don't think they'll change much in the next 2-3 years..I'm very happy with my leftover 18 the way it is. Saved over 4lbs with the exhaust, added a link, FC revalve and respring, Dyno tuned the A/F ratio (added 3 hp with that) just waiting for a Rekluse Radius CX to finish it off.

How did you get it mapped without a vortex or Get ? ( or do you have one ? )
Gilby122
2/19/2019 2:21pm
cody41 wrote:
I actually hope they don’t put an e start on the rmz450. It’s a differentiator and all of the bikes have e start. There’s a handful...
agreed. I had a '16 ktm 350. If it was remotely cold outside, it wouldn't start. Always had the seat off with a battery tender. Walking through the pits of ax this last weekend when it was 15 degrees outside, I saw several ktm's charging. My '18 holdover zook started on the second kick. I like the kick start. Hasn't let me down yet!
2/19/2019 2:29pm
cody41 wrote:
Gilby122 wrote:
agreed. I had a '16 ktm 350. If it was remotely cold outside, it wouldn't start. Always had the seat off with a battery tender. Walking...
agreed. I had a '16 ktm 350. If it was remotely cold outside, it wouldn't start. Always had the seat off with a battery tender. Walking through the pits of ax this last weekend when it was 15 degrees outside, I saw several ktm's charging. My '18 holdover zook started on the second kick. I like the kick start. Hasn't let me down yet!
Same here. I have been thinking about going back to Suzuki since Kawi added e-start and a hydraulic clutch. Two things I don't want.
drt410
2/19/2019 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2019 4:00pm
TeamGreen wrote:

Both have A new frame, not the same new frame though. The point is why did Suzuki make a new, better frame, only for the 250. Hopefully they make a new higher flow centerport head for the 450 and drop it in this frame with an e-start. This and a slight bump in hp from the head and some weight savings would be a perfect mid model update imo.

Just the frame, head, and some weight loss would honestly be great too I agree they could just keep the kicker now to differentiate themselves. The only thing is now that all of the other race teams have e starts that can save like 8 seconds in a tip over, which is massive, so the race team is at a big disadvantage. The e-start is only a huuuge plus for racing where time/positions are money/championships. For everyone else its just convenience. So idk maybe do like Honda did with the option to add it? Thatd be a nice compromise. Either way I still think Suzuki is great value, reasonable power, and the best looks..
2/19/2019 4:45pm
I would bet on a new lighter and more powerful engine. And a regular style shock
Steve125
Fantasy
2759th
2/19/2019 5:33pm
Steve125 wrote:
I really don't think they'll change much in the next 2-3 years..I'm very happy with my leftover 18 the way it is. Saved over 4lbs with...

My friend at The Moto Lab has a DynoJet Dyno and ..well from what I've heard, he's one of the only guys out there with this analog style tuner that he can adjust A/F ratios at every RPM. It actually looks like something the military would use. .Just a silver box with dials and toggle switches..He did Roll on and full throttle pulls. I don't know much more than that. At one time he had people sending him ECU's from everywhere to get theirs tuned but he stopped doing them because he needed them hooked up to a bike to do it. Finding loaner bikes for every ECU he got in the mail was tough so he stopped.... That and every bike is slightly different due to production variances.
motomike894
2/19/2019 5:48pm
Steve125 wrote:

Steve125 wrote:
My friend at The Moto Lab has a DynoJet Dyno and ..well from what I've heard, he's one of the only guys out there with this...
My friend at The Moto Lab has a DynoJet Dyno and ..well from what I've heard, he's one of the only guys out there with this analog style tuner that he can adjust A/F ratios at every RPM. It actually looks like something the military would use. .Just a silver box with dials and toggle switches..He did Roll on and full throttle pulls. I don't know much more than that. At one time he had people sending him ECU's from everywhere to get theirs tuned but he stopped doing them because he needed them hooked up to a bike to do it. Finding loaner bikes for every ECU he got in the mail was tough so he stopped.... That and every bike is slightly different due to production variances.
Damn wonder if he’d be willing to set mine up same as yours, I have 18 rmz with same exhaust you do and everything, I get the latter part of your response but I’m guessing ours are pretty identical, I really want to try an ignition just man 700 bucks is lot to spend not knowing what it’ll do.

Post a reply to: Will 2020 be the year for the RMZ450?

The Latest