Wife's Bunko night

8/5/2017 7:49am
JRT812 wrote:
Good for you and love bunko night. Prepping a brisket to smoke tomorrow. Also, love the kart![img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/04/208200/s1200_IMG_0806.jpg[/img]
Good for you and love bunko night. Prepping a brisket to smoke tomorrow. Also, love the kart!

JRTBro...that brisket is gonna be killer. I can't get them that thick here unless I special order. That looks like a 12-14 hour smoke on that...
JRTBro...that brisket is gonna be killer. I can't get them that thick here unless I special order. That looks like a 12-14 hour smoke on that one. I bet it is under the smoke right now - better be or you're gonna be eating late!
JRT812 wrote:
Harrybro, not going to lie... blew through the alarm and failed as a pit master. Got up around 7am and had to get the smoker fired...
Harrybro, not going to lie... blew through the alarm and failed as a pit master. Got up around 7am and had to get the smoker fired up. First date night since the baby was born and we let our hair down a little.

I will try your steak recipe tomorrow. Sounds different and great!
You and TXDirtbro need to try the steak. It is really, really good. My wife and son both said it was the best steak they ever had.

Just remember to get thick steaks, and don't turn them when they're doing their two minutes on each side. I used canola oil by the way to brush them with. It worked fine. Also, note I did mine on the grill. I did that because I didn't want to heat our stove up to 500 and make the kitchen so danged hot. Plus, since my grill has a side burner, it just made it easy. I put that cast iron skillet on the grill and let it get real hot at 500 degrees and I left it on there for like 15 minutes at that temp. Yanked it off and put it on the side burner at medium-low heat.

And yes, that sauce is fantastic. We all raved about it. It would make a used knobby palatable.

So what time will the brisket be done? 2100 or so I would guess.
8/5/2017 7:52am
Oh, and one thing I learned, if you want a rare steak six minutes for one inchers. Maybe 8 for a really thick steak. I got a big skillet, so I did three steaks at once. Two would have been better. Just remember, two minutes per side until your cook time is up.
JRT812
8/5/2017 8:17am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2017 8:23am
JRTBro...that brisket is gonna be killer. I can't get them that thick here unless I special order. That looks like a 12-14 hour smoke on that...
JRTBro...that brisket is gonna be killer. I can't get them that thick here unless I special order. That looks like a 12-14 hour smoke on that one. I bet it is under the smoke right now - better be or you're gonna be eating late!
JRT812 wrote:
Harrybro, not going to lie... blew through the alarm and failed as a pit master. Got up around 7am and had to get the smoker fired...
Harrybro, not going to lie... blew through the alarm and failed as a pit master. Got up around 7am and had to get the smoker fired up. First date night since the baby was born and we let our hair down a little.

I will try your steak recipe tomorrow. Sounds different and great!
You and TXDirtbro need to try the steak. It is really, really good. My wife and son both said it was the best steak they ever...
You and TXDirtbro need to try the steak. It is really, really good. My wife and son both said it was the best steak they ever had.

Just remember to get thick steaks, and don't turn them when they're doing their two minutes on each side. I used canola oil by the way to brush them with. It worked fine. Also, note I did mine on the grill. I did that because I didn't want to heat our stove up to 500 and make the kitchen so danged hot. Plus, since my grill has a side burner, it just made it easy. I put that cast iron skillet on the grill and let it get real hot at 500 degrees and I left it on there for like 15 minutes at that temp. Yanked it off and put it on the side burner at medium-low heat.

And yes, that sauce is fantastic. We all raved about it. It would make a used knobby palatable.

So what time will the brisket be done? 2100 or so I would guess.
Thanks for the directions and will adjust the time for a 2in cut.

As for the brisket, it was actually on the smaller size a little over 7lbs. So I'm hoping it will be off the smoker around 1900 depending on what the fat cap does. Unfortunately, it has to rest in a cooler for a while though after coming off the smoker. Either way waking up at 7am threw everything off haha. Oh well
8/5/2017 8:21am
JRT812 wrote:
Thanks for the directions and will adjust the time for a 2in cut. As for the brisket, it was actually on the smaller size a little...

As for the brisket, it was actually on the smaller size a little over 7lbs. So I'm hoping it will be off the smoker around 1900 depending on what the fat cap does. Unfortunately, it has to rest in a cooler for a while though after coming off the smoker. Either way waking up at 7am threw everything off haha. Oh well
Man, wish I was there to partake.

If you have any questions about the steak cooking deal just PM me. In fact, just sent you a PM.

I'm not sure my directions were very clear, so let me know. 2 inches...that's the way to do it. I'd probably go 10 minutes total with 2 inch steaks.

The Shop

JRT812
8/5/2017 8:26am
JRT812 wrote:
Thanks for the directions and will adjust the time for a 2in cut. As for the brisket, it was actually on the smaller size a little...

Man, wish I was there to partake. If you have any questions about the steak cooking deal just PM me. In fact, just sent you a...
Man, wish I was there to partake.

If you have any questions about the steak cooking deal just PM me. In fact, just sent you a PM.

I'm not sure my directions were very clear, so let me know. 2 inches...that's the way to do it. I'd probably go 10 minutes total with 2 inch steaks.
Thanks my man and I will check it out! Haha just noticed I said "through" instead of "threw" in my previous post... it's going to be that kind of day hahaha. My apologies.
newmann
8/5/2017 8:35am
Mr. Newmann... Bunko? Whatever works, man! Hey, this is nothing new or groundbreaking, but it was for me. I finally tried cooking a steak in cast...
Mr. Newmann...

Bunko? Whatever works, man!

Hey, this is nothing new or groundbreaking, but it was for me. I finally tried cooking a steak in cast iron. I'm just going to copy and paste the post I made about it on faceplant. Here it is...

Last evening I decided to do something different and cook some steaks in our cast iron skillet. Man, you talk about a good steak! I read up on several different recipes and went with brushing the steaks with oil, then salting them with kosher salt and some other favorite seasonings. I heated the skillet to 500 degrees on my grill, pulled it off and put it on the side burner on medium heat then dropped the steaks in. 2 minutes on each side, then turned them for 4 minutes on each side. Perfect medium rare - though I prefer a rare steak - this was a learning process. These were inch thick steaks. Take steaks then and tent them in foil with a chunk of butter on each one. While they are tented, turn off burner, pour a cup of red wine in still hot skillet, clove of garlic, fresh parsley and basil, chives and 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, half a cup of shallots and serve over the steaks. You can thank me later.
Cast iron? My latest fetish. Just when I said I was done, a matching #4 small logo Griswold popped up that I had to have. Have been planning on doing some steaks that way. Also want to get a salt slab to cook some on....hmmmmm. Anyway, back to the garage today. Trying to get a couple bikes back up and running.

8/5/2017 9:01am
Joe, I thought that was you that was recently talking about cast iron. Great looking skillets. Enjoy your day and hurry up and do you a skillet steak. You won't be sorry.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
8/5/2017 9:08am
early wrote:
Dont know what bunko is but i like the look of that steak! Just got to my cabin in WV, gonna be agood weekend for some...
Dont know what bunko is but i like the look of that steak! Just got to my cabin in WV, gonna be agood weekend for some climbing.
You climbing hills on a bike or climbing on foot?
elsinore
8/5/2017 9:27am
JRT812 wrote:
Good for you and love bunko night. Prepping a brisket to smoke tomorrow. Also, love the kart![img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/04/208200/s1200_IMG_0806.jpg[/img]
Good for you and love bunko night. Prepping a brisket to smoke tomorrow. Also, love the kart!

That Butt Rub is awesome on a butt or whole chicken.! Rub em down with the mustard, then the rub, and smoke em like a cheap cigar. The water bottle looks like one of mine....filled up with Merlot for the roadSmile
JRT812
8/5/2017 10:29am
JRT812 wrote:

elsinore wrote:
That Butt Rub is awesome on a butt or whole chicken.! Rub em down with the mustard, then the rub, and smoke em like a cheap...
That Butt Rub is awesome on a butt or whole chicken.! Rub em down with the mustard, then the rub, and smoke em like a cheap cigar. The water bottle looks like one of mine....filled up with Merlot for the roadSmile
That rub is legit. I can make a rub that is decent, but it's not as good. Plus the effort it takes pushes me to just buy Byrons. Yeah the mustard is a really good option. I also use apple juice and cut it with apple cider vinegar as a mop. I will wrap once I get to 170 and give it a good spray before putting back on the smoker.
JRT812
8/5/2017 10:32am
If interested everyone, I am adding a topic in non moto around recipes. Harrybro inspired me.
rpawley
8/5/2017 2:15pm
Mr. Newmann... Bunko? Whatever works, man! Hey, this is nothing new or groundbreaking, but it was for me. I finally tried cooking a steak in cast...
Mr. Newmann...

Bunko? Whatever works, man!

Hey, this is nothing new or groundbreaking, but it was for me. I finally tried cooking a steak in cast iron. I'm just going to copy and paste the post I made about it on faceplant. Here it is...

Last evening I decided to do something different and cook some steaks in our cast iron skillet. Man, you talk about a good steak! I read up on several different recipes and went with brushing the steaks with oil, then salting them with kosher salt and some other favorite seasonings. I heated the skillet to 500 degrees on my grill, pulled it off and put it on the side burner on medium heat then dropped the steaks in. 2 minutes on each side, then turned them for 4 minutes on each side. Perfect medium rare - though I prefer a rare steak - this was a learning process. These were inch thick steaks. Take steaks then and tent them in foil with a chunk of butter on each one. While they are tented, turn off burner, pour a cup of red wine in still hot skillet, clove of garlic, fresh parsley and basil, chives and 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, half a cup of shallots and serve over the steaks. You can thank me later.
look into reverse sear if you want to get the exact doneness without any guessing
8/5/2017 2:24pm
I've heard of that. Honestly, about one minute less would have been perfect rare for me. As it was it was barely medium rare and so entirely delicious. Especially topped with that sauce made while the steaks were tented.
Johnny Depp
8/5/2017 3:23pm
I used to love Bunco night, the house gets cleaned up, the wife put's herself out in the kitchen, always got a new outfit, and I get to leave the house for a few hours with an approved entertainment and dinner budget.

The real fun starts when you get home, and the girls are really liquored up and you're the only man in the house. You've got to remember, the same thing happens at other months at other girls houses. Often the husbands would get together on the night out.

Been doing skillet steaks forever, it's a lot easier than firing up the grill and puts a nice bark on the steak. Used to be a chef in another life, rare means flexible meat, medium rare not so flexible, but able to compress to the touch of a finger. The less you can compress, the more it is done. If it's firm, you have gone too far and wasted a good cow's life by cooking it well done.
JRT812
8/5/2017 3:30pm
I used to love Bunco night, the house gets cleaned up, the wife put's herself out in the kitchen, always got a new outfit, and I...
I used to love Bunco night, the house gets cleaned up, the wife put's herself out in the kitchen, always got a new outfit, and I get to leave the house for a few hours with an approved entertainment and dinner budget.

The real fun starts when you get home, and the girls are really liquored up and you're the only man in the house. You've got to remember, the same thing happens at other months at other girls houses. Often the husbands would get together on the night out.

Been doing skillet steaks forever, it's a lot easier than firing up the grill and puts a nice bark on the steak. Used to be a chef in another life, rare means flexible meat, medium rare not so flexible, but able to compress to the touch of a finger. The less you can compress, the more it is done. If it's firm, you have gone too far and wasted a good cow's life by cooking it well done.
Good points. When it comes to steaks it's the finger to palm/thumb technique. Hasn't failed me yet
doghouse
8/5/2017 3:35pm
So is Bunko a bunch of women throwing dice? Is this really a thing?
JRT812
8/5/2017 3:50pm
doghouse wrote:
Don't understand it myself, but I understand it's a group of women coming together and it is a dice game. More importantly it's for them to get together and have a good time while winning prizes, but catching up on the local gossip.
kkawboy14
8/5/2017 3:52pm
doghouse wrote:
Bunko is when women get together, play cards, dice or dominoes. Ask the guys to all leave. Play very little of what they went there for and end up talking all night about the guys and wishing all the guys were there because they make the night more fun talking about gas and stool colors!
doghouse
8/5/2017 3:53pm
doghouse wrote:
JRT812 wrote:
Don't understand it myself, but I understand it's a group of women coming together and it is a dice game. More importantly it's for them to...
Don't understand it myself, but I understand it's a group of women coming together and it is a dice game. More importantly it's for them to get together and have a good time while winning prizes, but catching up on the local gossip.
All the women I know (wife included) just cut out the dice part and go straight to the wine and gossip.
Johnny Depp
8/5/2017 3:55pm
doghouse wrote:
All the men were curious too in my suburb. We insisted that we be let in on the party. What a boring evening that was, no thanks. Yes, some silly game. Really just an excuse for ladies night out. Let them have their fun, you get yours after the party.
Madc32
8/5/2017 4:09pm
ZM956 wrote:
Ahhh I see. I'll be getting married in a couple months, so it looks like I'll be looking forward to these nights. Thanks for sharing this...
Ahhh I see. I'll be getting married in a couple months, so it looks like I'll be looking forward to these nights. Thanks for sharing this bro's.
JRT812 wrote:
Bro, encourage the monthly bunko night.
I recommend a weekly Bunko night. But , I've been married for over 20 years.
8/5/2017 6:02pm
I used to love Bunco night, the house gets cleaned up, the wife put's herself out in the kitchen, always got a new outfit, and I...

There's a lot of good man info in this thread for any young bucks reading. Especially this above. My wife had to host a sex toys night for a friend who was selling the stuff. I got home from the pub a little early and holly shit! I was a little concerned for my personal safety, while still feeling like the stud of the party at the same time. Sweet baby Jesus, liquored horny women in groups can get rowdy. I'll leave out what went on once the party left.

And this:
Skillet puts a nice bark on the steak. Rare means flexible meat, medium rare not so flexible, but able to compress to the touch of a finger. The less you can compress, the more it is done. If it's firm, you have gone too far and wasted a good cow's life by cooking it well done.

A good cut of grass fed, hormone free meat. Cook it hot and turn it regular. When it's dark outside, it will be good on the inside. And done
kaptkaos
8/6/2017 3:09pm
Ok my wife and daughters left to the beach today and I said nah, I am good. I stayed home with the dog and chilled now am grilling with some cold ones

8/6/2017 3:17pm
kaptkaos wrote:
Ok my wife and daughters left to the beach today and I said nah, I am good. I stayed home with the dog and chilled now...
Ok my wife and daughters left to the beach today and I said nah, I am good. I stayed home with the dog and chilled now am grilling with some cold ones

Yum, Kaosbro!
Wildeye511
8/6/2017 3:40pm
bvm111 wrote:
Im hanging at the beach south of Pattaya in Thailand, trying to decide where to go today to see what there is to see here and...
Im hanging at the beach south of Pattaya in Thailand, trying to decide where to go today to see what there is to see here and have a few beers later!

bvm111, not sure if its still there, but there was a cool go kart track near Pattaya that we used to go when I was tdy there. They had 125 cc two stroke go karts that hauled ass......
dcg141
8/6/2017 5:17pm
Bunko in my part of the world is Bridge. As in the card game.
skypig
8/6/2017 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 7:07pm
I live at work 14 nights a month (28 day "month") That's more than enough time away from the girl in my life!

The new accommodation has great BBQs (or "grills" as I know they are called in the US, from my time in Morristown NJ - spent a lot of time at the grill with my new friends there.)

I'm still fine tuning the cooking time due how much my eye fillet cooks after I take it off.
Before cooking, I marinate it in a little olive oil/garlic/chili, and the secret ingredient " Worcester sauce".

I have just discovered corn cooks fine on the grill in its natural wrapping.
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/6/2017 8:17pm
early wrote:
Dont know what bunko is but i like the look of that steak! Just got to my cabin in WV, gonna be agood weekend for some...
Dont know what bunko is but i like the look of that steak! Just got to my cabin in WV, gonna be agood weekend for some climbing.
You climbing hills on a bike or climbing on foot?
Climbed rock at the New River Gorge. Perfect conditions on Saturday low 70's sun and high pressure beautiful. Today was a Summersville lake day.

Post a reply to: Wife's Bunko night

The Latest