Wide open through the open desert - 2+ mile Bomb Run

gpracer4224
Edited Date/Time 3/26/2018 7:03pm
Watch the bomb run and the first few miles of a local District 37 Desert Scramble in Red Mountain, CA. Ended up 2nd to the bomb and got passed by quite a few after. Racing high speeds through the desert blind is certainly an art and quite a bit different from my typical GP racing!

|
jjavaman
Fantasy
3755th
3/26/2018 7:19pm
Wow! That's impressive, how do you just hold it wide open like that? Do you pre run the start?
rk337
3/26/2018 8:05pm
jjavaman wrote:
Wow! That's impressive, how do you just hold it wide open like that? Do you pre run the start?
Ya we get to pre run the start, what we call a bomb, and only the start. Usually about the first 2-3 miles. Everything after that is unseen trail, just follow the ribbon tied to bushes and some turn arrows.
You get an idea of the trails from previous races, and play riding, but never know the way it will be lined up. That knowledge base helps a lot because you can kinda anticipate where the course has to go to get back to the pits within the 40-45 miles a loop is. With the race in the video, second loop was just repeating the loop so then you have a good idea whats coming up. That course also wasn't as technical since everyone does that loop, they don't want to scare the beginners away as were trying to bring desert racing back again
Natester551v
3/26/2018 8:21pm
Way gnarly! That's probably the best jump I've ever seen...you were heroic against all those 450s...they're tough to hang with...
FWYT
3/26/2018 9:07pm
Gawddamn that shit is scary!

The Shop

Betuel
3/26/2018 9:49pm
Badass! Some of my fondest riding memories are in Red Mountain then get some drinks at the whitehouse saloon in Randsburg.
MelonFan123
3/27/2018 4:39pm
cool vid! thanks for posting, I was camping out there this weekend and thought of signing up pie plate but with all the wind the dirt wasn't as good as I was hoping for coming into the weekend. Still very little dust and course looked fun.

Trevor how did you do in class? Looked like you holeshot your class and only the Open Pros got past you during that first loop
mwssquad827
3/27/2018 5:22pm
I’ve done a couple desert races with bomb starts and it is hard/sketchy to keeper pegged like that through bushes and cross trails... props to you dude that was impressive and way to do it on a 2 smokerCoolCool
gpracer4224
3/28/2018 9:55am
cool vid! thanks for posting, I was camping out there this weekend and thought of signing up pie plate but with all the wind the dirt...
cool vid! thanks for posting, I was camping out there this weekend and thought of signing up pie plate but with all the wind the dirt wasn't as good as I was hoping for coming into the weekend. Still very little dust and course looked fun.

Trevor how did you do in class? Looked like you holeshot your class and only the Open Pros got past you during that first loop
I was running 2nd 250 when I ended up taking a rock to the clutch cover putting a hole in it towards the end of the first loop so I ended up not finishing.
FiendzCC
3/28/2018 12:24pm
Bad ass. Couldn't take my eyes off the screen, I was getting tunnel vision just watching haha
90srider
3/28/2018 3:26pm
Last time I did this was about 10years ago
this was always fun.
too bad I broke my back.
plowboy
3/28/2018 4:27pm
Mega props to all the guys that can ride and survive that warp speed desert stuff. Impressive.
90srider
3/28/2018 7:34pm
10:40 those guys are fast..!!
I wouldn't keep up to them.
but then again modern bike.
2 stroke forever..

glad you had a great time.
rk337
3/28/2018 9:41pm
90srider wrote:
2 stroke forever..

In the desert its all about who will keep it pinned longer. The last race I did, I dragged raced that guy on the KTM on the start and pulled him on my yz250 two smoker for a hole shot and overalled the race. I think I have different gearing than this guy in the video as well. I prefer two strokes in the desert, but also haven't raced a 450 yet haha

Just need to finish school I'm in and get back out there, Trevor's videos are putting me through withdrawals...
gpracer4224
3/29/2018 8:01am
90srider wrote:
2 stroke forever..

going fast through the desert blindly is crazy and something I need to learn if I do some more desert racing in the future
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
3/29/2018 8:23am
Awesome job man, looks like fun!
Titan1
3/29/2018 9:51am
Watch the bomb run and the first few miles of a local District 37 Desert Scramble in Red Mountain, CA. Ended up 2nd to the bomb...
Watch the bomb run and the first few miles of a local District 37 Desert Scramble in Red Mountain, CA. Ended up 2nd to the bomb and got passed by quite a few after. Racing high speeds through the desert blind is certainly an art and quite a bit different from my typical GP racing!

From one desert racer to another...Nice job! You definitely know how the throttle works...that's for sure.

In the hare and hounds like that...line choice is huge (especially at the level you are racing). The "pro" lines seem to use the course more as a "general guideline" than as a "hard rule"...the fast guys aren't afraid to "key off" the rider in front of them...meaning they cut a corner here...pop out of a wash there and then drop back in...and otherwise take a shorter route compared to the rider in front who has to stay more closely to the marked course.

When it comes to course cutting...the line between cheating and taking the fast line is blurry and lots of grey areas...and probably varies from one rider to the next...but it comes into play big time at the pro level.
gpracer4224
3/29/2018 10:07am
Watch the bomb run and the first few miles of a local District 37 Desert Scramble in Red Mountain, CA. Ended up 2nd to the bomb...

Titan1 wrote:
From one desert racer to another...Nice job! You definitely know how the throttle works...that's for sure. In the hare and hounds like that...line choice is huge...
From one desert racer to another...Nice job! You definitely know how the throttle works...that's for sure.

In the hare and hounds like that...line choice is huge (especially at the level you are racing). The "pro" lines seem to use the course more as a "general guideline" than as a "hard rule"...the fast guys aren't afraid to "key off" the rider in front of them...meaning they cut a corner here...pop out of a wash there and then drop back in...and otherwise take a shorter route compared to the rider in front who has to stay more closely to the marked course.

When it comes to course cutting...the line between cheating and taking the fast line is blurry and lots of grey areas...and probably varies from one rider to the next...but it comes into play big time at the pro level.
Being a GP racer and always having a defined course, it's very hard to get off course and try to shorten it up how all the experienced desert racers can. It's an art how those guys do it!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/29/2018 10:13am
90srider wrote:
2 stroke forever..

going fast through the desert blindly is crazy and something I need to learn if I do some more desert racing in the future
It's insane what those guys do! I thought about doing some desert racing this year or next but idk if I'm ready to go as fast as I can blindly across the desert haha.

I'm planning on doing Big 6 at Gorman again this year so I'll come by, say hi and watch you and chance battle it out!
Titan1
3/29/2018 10:24am

Titan1 wrote:
From one desert racer to another...Nice job! You definitely know how the throttle works...that's for sure. In the hare and hounds like that...line choice is huge...

Being a GP racer and always having a defined course, it's very hard to get off course and try to shorten it up how all the...
Being a GP racer and always having a defined course, it's very hard to get off course and try to shorten it up how all the experienced desert racers can. It's an art how those guys do it!
Knowing you were coming from the GP world is the only reason I mentioned line choice (because it is something we all have to learn)...you obviously have the talent and speed to win races and get on the podium-and you are exceeding me in both of those areas...so I can't help you there. Smile

buggz
3/29/2018 3:41pm
We did not get to pre run. We showed up 7 mins before rider meeting then right to start line.

First time ever doing this type of event and my son nailed the bomb run ( he was on the second group start) eventually got lost on first loop and regrouped. Had a blast

I know someone got airlifted in the first group which really delayed our start, hope the racer is OK.
TXDirt
3/29/2018 4:16pm
Not my type of Moto but I respect it nonetheless. Wide open! Cool stuff!!
Knoby
3/29/2018 4:41pm
Wow! I have a new life goal. Were the 4 stroke riders more experienced or do you think it was just the bike? Serious question
NorCal 50+
3/29/2018 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 5:12pm
Question: How fun is this stuff? It obviously doesn't suck, but I am wondering if full throttle, high-risk riding like that for an extended time is actually fun the way moto is fun. More like a video game, but badass.
EDIT- what I mean by the question is riding pinned across wide open spaces as fun as railing berms in moto etc.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/29/2018 5:24pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Question: How fun is this stuff? It obviously doesn't suck, but I am wondering if full throttle, high-risk riding like that for an extended time is...
Question: How fun is this stuff? It obviously doesn't suck, but I am wondering if full throttle, high-risk riding like that for an extended time is actually fun the way moto is fun. More like a video game, but badass.
EDIT- what I mean by the question is riding pinned across wide open spaces as fun as railing berms in moto etc.
Different kind of fun if that makes sense. Travel down south the first weekend of November and race big 6. It’s a ton of fun. Trail riding and moto all in one.
3/29/2018 5:29pm
How much does running over one of the bush weeds affect you when wide open? I feel like I'd run a decent amount over haha props to these riders
90srider
3/29/2018 7:31pm
How much does running over one of the bush weeds affect you when wide open? I feel like I'd run a decent amount over haha props...
How much does running over one of the bush weeds affect you when wide open? I feel like I'd run a decent amount over haha props to these riders
All those are Creosote bush. They actually hurt some.. its a whipping when they catch your arms.
SoCalMX70
3/29/2018 8:04pm
I took a shot at a desert race 2 years ago. This same race actually! It was an eye opener, that's for sure. I figured I would be at least somewhat competitive having grown up riding in the desert. Nope. Simply couldn't bring myself to hold it pinned like a lot of the other guys were through some hairy sections.

It didn't help that i was also 30lbs heavier and had zero preparation... Still, I definitely want to revisit desert racing again in the future.
stvh
3/29/2018 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 9:21pm
Good stuff. Thanks for posting. I grew up doing this exact thing as well until my love for moto took over. That little wash after check 1 looked pretty cool. Wait until you get 100 degree weather and blinding dust.

Post a reply to: Wide open through the open desert - 2+ mile Bomb Run

The Latest