Why would you buy an R8?!

Skidaddle
9/30/2016 2:41pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2016 2:45pm
The R8 is an exceptional ride. Especially here in Nor Cal where it snows often. As would one of the AWD Lambos.

However the track data for any of these is 99% irrelevant for the 99% that buy these types.

At the Ferrari challenge, the cars are fancy looking race cars. There is zero luxury about them.
The whole inside is safety related. All the suspension etc is pure race car.

Its all tin, aluminum, a seat, full cage, and a 5 point harness and a fire extinguisher and window nets.

Basically a stripped car. Most all strip the dash and have an aluminum panel with minimal gauges.
A few leave the stock dash but most dont.

The one I drove was like getting into a tin can. And inside the noise is deafening without ear plugs also.

Jefro and others keep harping on this and that is faster at a track etc.
Truth is all those cars are shit compared to a tiny open wheel school car with 1/4 the HP.

People buy what they like, not track numbers they will never see or use. Ever.
race
9/30/2016 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2016 2:46pm

This should prove interesting. A new entrant in the hyper-car class from Aston-Martin / Red Bull Racing / Adrian Newey.

Should feature very low curb weight and serious aero.

And both 'street' and 'track' versions.
9/30/2016 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2016 3:06pm
Skidaddle wrote:
The R8 is an exceptional ride. Especially here in Nor Cal where it snows often. As would one of the AWD Lambos. However the track data...
The R8 is an exceptional ride. Especially here in Nor Cal where it snows often. As would one of the AWD Lambos.

However the track data for any of these is 99% irrelevant for the 99% that buy these types.

At the Ferrari challenge, the cars are fancy looking race cars. There is zero luxury about them.
The whole inside is safety related. All the suspension etc is pure race car.

Its all tin, aluminum, a seat, full cage, and a 5 point harness and a fire extinguisher and window nets.

Basically a stripped car. Most all strip the dash and have an aluminum panel with minimal gauges.
A few leave the stock dash but most dont.

The one I drove was like getting into a tin can. And inside the noise is deafening without ear plugs also.

Jefro and others keep harping on this and that is faster at a track etc.
Truth is all those cars are shit compared to a tiny open wheel school car with 1/4 the HP.

People buy what they like, not track numbers they will never see or use. Ever.
Probably rode as rough as a mover's dolly, too. Which would not be a bad thing track-wise. Just you wouldn't want to go on a date to SBarro Pizza that way.

The Shop

Skidaddle
9/30/2016 3:13pm
Must be Roczens agent because he makes more than Barcia does!

The motorcycle guy thats a baller is Bernie Ecclestone.
He started out building motorcycles, selling parts and became a dealer before cars.

jamma10
9/30/2016 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2016 3:30pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Yes I do watch GTLM and GTD. I didn't mention anything about those classes though , I was referring to series such as Blancpain , ADAC...
Yes I do watch GTLM and GTD. I didn't mention anything about those classes though , I was referring to series such as Blancpain , ADAC GT Masters and PWC. I am by no means saying the Porsche isn't a great race car....they are for sure. You just never see them running in the front at any of the series that I mentioned.
rikhek wrote:
IMSA is running their last race of the season this weekend. They're doing the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. GTLM manufacturers standings going into the...
IMSA is running their last race of the season this weekend. They're doing the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. GTLM manufacturers standings going into the race:

1. Corvette 329
2. Ford 309
3. Porsche 302
4. BMW 288
5. Ferrari 282

The Porsche 991 GT3 RSR is not up to typical P car standards. There are no Corvettes in GTD.
And my brother in law just put the 67 FordGT on pole Smile
newmann
9/30/2016 3:38pm
I'd buy the Audi just because the dealership was damn near kissing my ass when I walked in wearing a cheap Academy dry weave collared shirt, 5 year old Under Armor fishing shorts and tennis shoes that may have had some paint on them. And I wasn't even the one looking for the car, it was the wife. I was looking closely at the R8 though. $199,000.00 large, I had to scamper away..lol. They treated her equally nice and she ended up buying the 2017 Q7 off the show room floor. Recalls and services, they send a driver with an A5 loaner 125 miles from Houston to pick it up and return it when they are done. Fast and efficient, they have impressed me like no other dealer ever has. This time when they brought the wife's car back they took my son's 2012 certified pre-owned A6 (that he bought in North Carolina) back for its 65,000 mile service, new tires, alignment and a couple other misc. items and still left the loaner with us. Had it back to us today in under 24 hours total time. Just damned amazing. When the service writer called this morning he knew in detail every single thing that was done. Blew me away. I'll gladly pay for excellent service. Our local BMW sales department missed out on the perfect opportunity to sell a new V8 turbo X5 as did a Houston BMW dealer. Smug fuckers looking down their noses. This thing is warranted to 60,000 miles at which time we may get another one. They haven't given me a reason to consider anyone else at this point.
APLMAN99
9/30/2016 4:23pm
newmann wrote:
I'd buy the Audi just because the dealership was damn near kissing my ass when I walked in wearing a cheap Academy dry weave collared shirt...
I'd buy the Audi just because the dealership was damn near kissing my ass when I walked in wearing a cheap Academy dry weave collared shirt, 5 year old Under Armor fishing shorts and tennis shoes that may have had some paint on them. And I wasn't even the one looking for the car, it was the wife. I was looking closely at the R8 though. $199,000.00 large, I had to scamper away..lol. They treated her equally nice and she ended up buying the 2017 Q7 off the show room floor. Recalls and services, they send a driver with an A5 loaner 125 miles from Houston to pick it up and return it when they are done. Fast and efficient, they have impressed me like no other dealer ever has. This time when they brought the wife's car back they took my son's 2012 certified pre-owned A6 (that he bought in North Carolina) back for its 65,000 mile service, new tires, alignment and a couple other misc. items and still left the loaner with us. Had it back to us today in under 24 hours total time. Just damned amazing. When the service writer called this morning he knew in detail every single thing that was done. Blew me away. I'll gladly pay for excellent service. Our local BMW sales department missed out on the perfect opportunity to sell a new V8 turbo X5 as did a Houston BMW dealer. Smug fuckers looking down their noses. This thing is warranted to 60,000 miles at which time we may get another one. They haven't given me a reason to consider anyone else at this point.
I'm seriously considering an A7 for my wife currently. Obviously I'd prefer an RS7, or even an S7, but can't justify the upgrade on a car that would mostly just be used for her commute to work. I can't really justify the A7, either, but it's a really nice car that is extremely comfortable and the Quattro system is ideal for this area.
ob
9/30/2016 4:39pm
newmann wrote:
I'd buy the Audi just because the dealership was damn near kissing my ass when I walked in wearing a cheap Academy dry weave collared shirt...
APLMAN99 wrote:
I'm seriously considering an A7 for my wife currently. Obviously I'd prefer an RS7, or even an S7, but can't justify the upgrade on a car...
I'm seriously considering an A7 for my wife currently. Obviously I'd prefer an RS7, or even an S7, but can't justify the upgrade on a car that would mostly just be used for her commute to work. I can't really justify the A7, either, but it's a really nice car that is extremely comfortable and the Quattro system is ideal for this area.
Rs7, great car.
APLMAN99
9/30/2016 4:42pm
ob wrote:
Rs7, great car.
Yeah, too great really. Like I said, no way I could justify it.
newmann
9/30/2016 4:43pm
newmann wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
I'm seriously considering an A7 for my wife currently. Obviously I'd prefer an RS7, or even an S7, but can't justify the upgrade on a car...
We were going to replace her 2005 Chevy Tahoe with a new 2015 Tahoe when they first came out. At the local dealer dropping off a customers car for some computer programming one day when they were unloading the new ones. Nicely optioned 2015 LTZ package in 2wd had a window sticker of $67,900.00. They've officially lost it. Ended up buying a used X5 from a customer that ended up being a nightmare in service. That's when we went hunting and ended up at Audi. 2017 Q7 Quattro with upgrades stickered for $69,000.00. They hardly dropped any off being a brand new body style but did give us better trade on the BMW. Nice car, way too technical and gadget filled for me. It's a challenge every time I get in it to drive.Blush
APLMAN99
9/30/2016 4:56pm
newmann wrote:
We were going to replace her 2005 Chevy Tahoe with a new 2015 Tahoe when they first came out. At the local dealer dropping off a...
We were going to replace her 2005 Chevy Tahoe with a new 2015 Tahoe when they first came out. At the local dealer dropping off a customers car for some computer programming one day when they were unloading the new ones. Nicely optioned 2015 LTZ package in 2wd had a window sticker of $67,900.00. They've officially lost it. Ended up buying a used X5 from a customer that ended up being a nightmare in service. That's when we went hunting and ended up at Audi. 2017 Q7 Quattro with upgrades stickered for $69,000.00. They hardly dropped any off being a brand new body style but did give us better trade on the BMW. Nice car, way too technical and gadget filled for me. It's a challenge every time I get in it to drive.Blush
The only Audi we've actually owned was a used A4 that we bought my oldest daughter when she turned 17. Mainly got it for the Quattro system as we knew she'd be heading to the Seattle area for college and the mountain passes here can definitely be challenging most winters.

Loved the car for the most part, but I can definitely say that I only want to own an Audi that's under warranty! It was a 2001, I think, so it was close to a 9 year old car when we got it. Under 100K miles when we first got it, but a couple years later it started to quarter and dollar us quite a bit. It skipped the nickels and dimes!

But on the road it drove fantastic and the AWD actually felt better than my son's Subaru.
rikhek
9/30/2016 5:10pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2016 5:11pm
newmann wrote:
We were going to replace her 2005 Chevy Tahoe with a new 2015 Tahoe when they first came out. At the local dealer dropping off a...
Yeah, they're all getting too complicated with too many modes and operational parameter settings. Sort of like a number of the current air forks.

Very few people even take the time to learn all the various modes let alone how the car behaves in the various nanny modes. Shit, even the infotainment and nav systems are over the top. I'm intimately familiar with the numerous settings on my Z06 but I don't even bother trying to learn how to use anything but the basic features on the "entertainment" system. The car I have ordered has apple car play so I'm hoping it will be easier...
APLMAN99
9/30/2016 5:15pm
rikhek wrote:
Yeah, they're all getting too complicated with too many modes and operational parameter settings. Sort of like a number of the current air forks. Very few...
Yeah, they're all getting too complicated with too many modes and operational parameter settings. Sort of like a number of the current air forks.

Very few people even take the time to learn all the various modes let alone how the car behaves in the various nanny modes. Shit, even the infotainment and nav systems are over the top. I'm intimately familiar with the numerous settings on my Z06 but I don't even bother trying to learn how to use anything but the basic features on the "entertainment" system. The car I have ordered has apple car play so I'm hoping it will be easier...
When it comes to the "infotainment" systems, my biggest issue is trying to find a hack around the GPS locking out functions while the car is in motion. Shit just pisses me off! Driving down the freeway, they should be able to at least tell that someone is in the passenger seat and unlock the thing so that they can enter destination info!
rikhek
9/30/2016 5:39pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
When it comes to the "infotainment" systems, my biggest issue is trying to find a hack around the GPS locking out functions while the car is...
When it comes to the "infotainment" systems, my biggest issue is trying to find a hack around the GPS locking out functions while the car is in motion. Shit just pisses me off! Driving down the freeway, they should be able to at least tell that someone is in the passenger seat and unlock the thing so that they can enter destination info!
LOL, true that. The car will let you drill down 4 levels of performance management setting in motion but heaven forbid you get into the GPS/Nav system while in motion. The voice activation sort of kind of works but frustrating.
just James
9/30/2016 6:47pm
I suppose most any one of the cars in this thread would be entertaining to drive, but I am not really into posing. I care little about how a performance car (or bike) looks, I like a heavy emphasis on performance. I think that I could get some serious enjoyment out of the 499hp turbo Hayabusa that Ghost Rider rides in those YouTube videos. Probably doesn't have $25,000 in it.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
9/30/2016 7:20pm
just James wrote:
I suppose most any one of the cars in this thread would be entertaining to drive, but I am not really into posing. I care little...
I suppose most any one of the cars in this thread would be entertaining to drive, but I am not really into posing. I care little about how a performance car (or bike) looks, I like a heavy emphasis on performance. I think that I could get some serious enjoyment out of the 499hp turbo Hayabusa that Ghost Rider rides in those YouTube videos. Probably doesn't have $25,000 in it.
That bike is insane!!
Skidaddle
9/30/2016 8:23pm
I have 3 trucks and a 16 Lexus IS 350 AWD F sport.
Ive had 4 Lexus IS AWD since 2007 and never a hiccup.

I almost got an RS 7 but the Lexus just has never let me down and looks more sports car to me.

The old lady is the car buff. She has cars in 3 cities she works.

Shes been researching what nobody has mentioned

The new Acura NSX for her Miami scoot replacing a
Lexus Rc 350 F sport.
Bauer
10/1/2016 3:15am

I love driving this car. It hauls ass (V-8) and handles unreal. I love the 6-speed SMG tranny with paddle shifters, but it's sketchy as fuck. Fucking Beemers are ridiculous maintenance costs, but Boris gives me pretty nice loaner cars. Last time it was a brand new 640i coupe that I drove to Vegas for the Monster Cup. So much fun and badass.

just James
10/1/2016 6:58am
just James wrote:
I suppose most any one of the cars in this thread would be entertaining to drive, but I am not really into posing. I care little...
kzizok wrote:
That bike is insane!!
Yeah, if any of you jokers are wondering what I am talking about, just do a YouTube search for "499bhp".
Funny watching a guy tapped out on what is probably a 1000cc sport bike, and that turbo 'busa goes right on by him ON ONE WHEEL! :-)
My kind of machine.
Osaka627
10/1/2016 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2016 12:46pm
MXMattii wrote:
Barcia and Roczen where very proud on their R8. But to be honest, isn't that a car for cheapskates? Everyone knows that the R8 is the...
Barcia and Roczen where very proud on their R8. But to be honest, isn't that a car for cheapskates? Everyone knows that the R8 is the cheap brother of the Lamborghini Gallardo. A real beast! If you make NFL, MLB or Football money you don't buy R8's I think. Isn't a bit like buying a Huawei because it can all the same things as the IPhone and be proud of it?

On the other hand, same engin is in it.

billyslap wrote:
Actually I hate to tell you but Lambos are for broke azz 2nd rate rappers and sports stars. They actually lease them more so than not...
Actually I hate to tell you but Lambos are for broke azz 2nd rate rappers and sports stars.

They actually lease them more so than not. All about keeping up with appearances.

Lambos look the same as they did in the 80's....

Real people with class drive Ferraris.

Audi R8 really what is that like a churched up Nissan GTR haha
I can tell not many of these people can afford a sports car hence why they want the Ferrari and Lambo.

I can tell not many of these people can afford a sports car hence why they want the Ferrari and Lambo.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
10/1/2016 12:58pm
Skidaddle wrote:
If you guys want to see how shitty production cars run, go to a place like Sonoma. Do the Audi Experience in an R8, or an...
If you guys want to see how shitty production cars run, go to a place like Sonoma.

Do the Audi Experience in an R8, or an open wheel school.

Those open wheel 4 cylinder school cars will outrun and out corner an R8 without even trying.

When they are on the track together, you see guys in helmets and R8s and some 14 year old blows past one in a tiny 4 cylinder open wheel car.

Now the stripped down Ferraris in the Challenge races, those are track cars.
They run and sound great. But up close look like shit. There is Zero fancy.
Years ago I did the Russell Racing School's graduate runoff class at Sears Point. We drove Formula Mazda's; open wheel cars with 180hp rotary motors.

One of the days I drove my 89 Mustang to the class. Stiff roadrace suspension, Baer brakes, 450hp supercharged motor, etc. It rode like a dump truck, accelerated really well, stopped great and handled pretty good. At least I thought so until I got back into it to drive home after driving the Formula Mazda all day. The damn Mustang felt like a boat! It floated and handled like a 70's Caddy, had brakes of mush, a steering wheel connected to a jello-filled steering rack and seemed downright relaxing to drive!! At least it still accelerated well.

That completely changed my mind on what a "performance street car" really offered.
10/1/2016 2:02pm
malachi177 wrote:
Cool vid....too bad the absolute shit music wrecks it.
Oh man. I should've read your comment b4 attempting to view that video with the sound enabled! Beyond shite audio (won't refer to it as music as it's not even music).
Tbteam
10/1/2016 7:58pm
My wife's S8 is the family sedan. She has no idea that it's 520HP, lol!
Skidaddle
10/1/2016 8:22pm
Skidaddle wrote:
If you guys want to see how shitty production cars run, go to a place like Sonoma. Do the Audi Experience in an R8, or an...
If you guys want to see how shitty production cars run, go to a place like Sonoma.

Do the Audi Experience in an R8, or an open wheel school.

Those open wheel 4 cylinder school cars will outrun and out corner an R8 without even trying.

When they are on the track together, you see guys in helmets and R8s and some 14 year old blows past one in a tiny 4 cylinder open wheel car.

Now the stripped down Ferraris in the Challenge races, those are track cars.
They run and sound great. But up close look like shit. There is Zero fancy.
Years ago I did the Russell Racing School's graduate runoff class at Sears Point. We drove Formula Mazda's; open wheel cars with 180hp rotary motors. One...
Years ago I did the Russell Racing School's graduate runoff class at Sears Point. We drove Formula Mazda's; open wheel cars with 180hp rotary motors.

One of the days I drove my 89 Mustang to the class. Stiff roadrace suspension, Baer brakes, 450hp supercharged motor, etc. It rode like a dump truck, accelerated really well, stopped great and handled pretty good. At least I thought so until I got back into it to drive home after driving the Formula Mazda all day. The damn Mustang felt like a boat! It floated and handled like a 70's Caddy, had brakes of mush, a steering wheel connected to a jello-filled steering rack and seemed downright relaxing to drive!! At least it still accelerated well.

That completely changed my mind on what a "performance street car" really offered.
I can tell you've been there done that.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
10/1/2016 9:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2016 9:26pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
When it comes to the "infotainment" systems, my biggest issue is trying to find a hack around the GPS locking out functions while the car is...
I didn't tell you this....

But you should be able to pull the radio out, and find the speed sensor wire. Put a switch in line of the that wire. Now you can play DVDs and input GPS cordinates while driving.
I've done it to more than one car Whistling
newmann
10/1/2016 10:43pm
Tbteam wrote:
But I doubt she'll go back to the Buick Enclave anytime soon. Laughing S8 is some lap of luxury stuff!
Tbteam
10/2/2016 4:35am
Tbteam wrote:
newmann wrote:
But I doubt she'll go back to the Buick Enclave anytime soon. Laughing S8 is some lap of luxury stuff!
Yeah, Joe. We've been looking at cars for a couple weeks. I think I've created a monster.

Saw a beautiful Jag XJL on the street yesterday. When I google it, I guess the 2017 isn't in production yet.

Post a reply to: Why would you buy an R8?!

The Latest