Why won't my bike kick over now?

Edited Date/Time 12/1/2013 3:49am

Where is this hose supposed to be going? And could that be why it won't kick over?
I just got my carb worked on and when I got it back it started originally and ran for like 2 min then died and won't start now at all... Just like if the fuel were turned off, but it isn't off...
|
hillbilly
11/28/2013 3:22pm
Clear something up for me,

By typing "wont kick over" I take that to mean that it is locked up .

Can you kick the starter thru its stroke?

If you can ,then take a screwdriver and open the carb drain and see if you have fu e l getting into carb bowl
Cygnus
11/28/2013 3:37pm
Looks like the fuel line to me. Is the tank empty cause with the petcock in the on position gas should be pouring out of there.

It should be on the brass nipple on the carb from what I can tell from the crappy pic.
Outsider
11/28/2013 3:40pm
Its not April 1st is it!?
Cygnus
11/28/2013 3:53pm
Outsider wrote:
I'm afraid this is all to real man.

The Shop

Wolfman
11/28/2013 4:22pm
Outsider wrote:
Cygnus wrote:
I'm afraid this is all to real man.
If it's real, and the fuel line was disconnected, the carb would be dry. It was just serviced. Whistling
olddude
11/28/2013 4:26pm
Evap purge valve or possibly Crankcase vent. If you can't see a green doohickey on the back side of the motor then it's a vent. Drill a hole in the valve cover and plug it in works for either 2 or 4 stroke.

Yes I just called an engine a " motor ".
Cygnus
11/28/2013 4:38pm
Yea now that I see it on a bigger screen it almost looks like the crank vent.
BobbyM
11/28/2013 4:50pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/11/28/37508/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Where is this hose supposed to be going? And could that be why it won't kick over? I just got my carb worked on and...

Where is this hose supposed to be going? And could that be why it won't kick over?
I just got my carb worked on and when I got it back it started originally and ran for like 2 min then died and won't start now at all... Just like if the fuel were turned off, but it isn't off...
is the other end of the hose caught between the kicker starter and the frame...could be impeding the progress of the kicking rotation...or a screw fell out of yer head and is caught in there somewhere
11/28/2013 5:11pm
Cygnus wrote:
Looks like the fuel line to me. Is the tank empty cause with the petcock in the on position gas should be pouring out of there...
Looks like the fuel line to me. Is the tank empty cause with the petcock in the on position gas should be pouring out of there.

It should be on the brass nipple on the carb from what I can tell from the crappy pic.
That hose isn't the fuel hose it's lower and looks like it connects to the clutch case
11/28/2013 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2013 5:20pm
hillbilly wrote:
Clear something up for me, By typing "wont kick over" I take that to mean that it is locked up . Can you kick the starter...
Clear something up for me,

By typing "wont kick over" I take that to mean that it is locked up .

Can you kick the starter thru its stroke?

If you can ,then take a screwdriver and open the carb drain and see if you have fu e l getting into carb bowl
It kicks thru the stroke it just won't fire up, it just feels like fuel isn't getting from the tank to the carb because it started up at first and burned through the fuel stuck in the carb an now it won't start... But I took off the fuel line connected to the carb and fuel flowed out so it's not blocked, I was just wondering if there is some secondary fuel flow controller that may be off that I don't know about...
Tim507
11/28/2013 5:27pm
What kinda of bike
Hut
11/28/2013 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2013 5:38pm
A few random thoughts to ponder, pull the sparkplug see if it's wet? Fouled plug? Listen to hillbilly? Fuel in float bowl but not getting to cylinder, Plugged main? stuck or out of adjustment float needle and seat?
nytsmaC
11/28/2013 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2013 6:32pm
Sometimes the piston gets dirty and jammed up in there. Get out the garden hose and spray some water down the spark plug hole. Rinse and repeat until it fires.
CamP
11/28/2013 6:37pm
FIREfish148
11/28/2013 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2013 7:16pm
That's the crankcase breather hose. It's routed wrong. Flip the hose so the bend is facing toward the front of the bike then route it accordingly then back to through next to the hole in the swingarm where the shock is. There should be a couple of stays for it somewhere.

I would go over everything if little shit like that is messed up after getting it back... Make sure your using fresh gas. Make sure your airboot was clampes to your carb correctly.

Did it Idle high right before it died, did it bog out then die, or did it just shut off when you chopped the throttle?
Hut
11/28/2013 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2013 7:10pm
That son-of-a-bitch is a regular Eli Whitney on a lawn mower
7I3N
11/28/2013 7:21pm
motofab36 wrote:
looks like the crankcase vent hose
It is. The open end is just supposed to hang down with the carb vent hoses.

erikcrvjl
11/28/2013 8:51pm
My guess is that it might have died due to the cold, then you flooded your carb trying to get it started again. If that's the case just take your carb's bowl off and drain the fuel.

For the record, if your bike's kickstarter is stuck, then that's when you say it won't kick over.
CR250Rider
11/28/2013 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2013 9:02pm
the spark plug tells the story 90% of the time.
My DRZ400S has a vacuum line that goes to the petcock that acts as an emergency fuel shutoff, no vacuum, no fuel.
11/28/2013 9:24pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Sometimes the piston gets dirty and jammed up in there. Get out the garden hose and spray some water down the spark plug hole. Rinse and...
Sometimes the piston gets dirty and jammed up in there. Get out the garden hose and spray some water down the spark plug hole. Rinse and repeat until it fires.
Best answer.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
11/28/2013 9:27pm
See if you have spark.
If you think it's flooded hold the throttle wide open and keep kicking. You need as much air as possible to match all the gas in the cylinder
TerryK
11/28/2013 11:04pm
erikcrvjl wrote:
My guess is that it might have died due to the cold, then you flooded your carb trying to get it started again. If that's the...
My guess is that it might have died due to the cold, then you flooded your carb trying to get it started again. If that's the case just take your carb's bowl off and drain the fuel.

For the record, if your bike's kickstarter is stuck, then that's when you say it won't kick over.
How exactly, does one "flood a carb"?
erikcrvjl
11/29/2013 12:58am
TerryK wrote:
Well, when you're sitting on your bike, you like to twist that throttle right? Well be careful when you do that because the needle inside your carb is thrusting in and out of the needle jet. If you force the needle to thrust too much, too fast without pacing itself, then the needle will unexpectedly blow it's load into the needle jet thus flooding the whole carb with "fuel" Woohoo
MX690
11/29/2013 3:42am
What did you have done to the carby? This may sound stupid but it does happen, sometime people will stuff a carby with a bit of rag or something just to keep the dirt or dust out of it until it's put back on the bike or even an air box can be stuffed with some rag to keep dirt from falling into the Carby while the air box is being cleaned out. If it's been forgotten to be taken out, that will suffocate an engine pretty fast and you won't start it.
TerryK
11/29/2013 5:20am
TerryK wrote:
erikcrvjl wrote:
Well, when you're sitting on your bike, you like to twist that throttle right? Well be careful when you do that because the needle inside your...
Well, when you're sitting on your bike, you like to twist that throttle right? Well be careful when you do that because the needle inside your carb is thrusting in and out of the needle jet. If you force the needle to thrust too much, too fast without pacing itself, then the needle will unexpectedly blow it's load into the needle jet thus flooding the whole carb with "fuel" Woohoo
Lol, well thanks for straightening me out on the inner workings of the motocross metering device. Unfortunately your understanding is more that a bit skewed. I'll keep this brief.

- The needle/needle jet has nothing to do with flooding of a non running four stroke. It's the accelerator pump is the culprit in the situation you describe. (there are a multitude of papers available on line on the workings of the modern carburetor)

- A carb flooded with fuel is not the cause of an engine not starting. Carbs are in fact, always flooded with fuel if they are working properly. Now an ENGINE flooded with fuel from said carburetor is indeed a problem.

Carry on.
erikcrvjl
11/29/2013 9:13am
TerryK wrote:
Lol, well thanks for straightening me out on the inner workings of the motocross metering device. Unfortunately your understanding is more that a bit skewed. I'll...
Lol, well thanks for straightening me out on the inner workings of the motocross metering device. Unfortunately your understanding is more that a bit skewed. I'll keep this brief.

- The needle/needle jet has nothing to do with flooding of a non running four stroke. It's the accelerator pump is the culprit in the situation you describe. (there are a multitude of papers available on line on the workings of the modern carburetor)

- A carb flooded with fuel is not the cause of an engine not starting. Carbs are in fact, always flooded with fuel if they are working properly. Now an ENGINE flooded with fuel from said carburetor is indeed a problem.

Carry on.
Thanks for clearing that up, however my last post was not meant to be taken seriously. And I apologize if I got the wrong terminology, I'll make sure I say flooded engine rather than carburetor. Either way I still think that's what happened to this guy
slipdog
11/29/2013 10:07am
This thread is hurting my abs!

Serious response- sounds like it's possible whoever did your carb clean may have cleared the jets and acc pump passages, but maybe did not clean/replace the needle seat for the float and it is stuck shut. Take off the bowl on the bottom or unscrew the drain bolt that should be hidden behind the vent tubes in the picture(a small Allen head on the KX).

Turn on the petcock and if no fuel comes out the drain tube of the bottom of the bowl(whichever you use to drain the carb) that means the needle seat is stuck closed.

Post a reply to: Why won't my bike kick over now?

The Latest