Why we need the X Games

Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:20pm
As MX fans we are way too close to the sport to understand the impact of this event.
It's about TV, nothing less, nothing more. It's a promotional event where dust, start gate malfunctions etc. mean NOTHING. It's a commercial for mx bikes.

I was sitting in a packed bar in downtown DC, next to Verizon Center on Friday night. There was a nice feature on Ashley FIolek on every screen in the place, and highlights of women's MX going on. How often are urban-dwelling residents of DC exposed to Ashley Fiolek? She could win 10 WMA championships in a row and not get this exposure.

Tonight I was in a downtown bar in rural Virginia-- there was Travis flipping across the screen in between baseball and NASCAR highlights.
The X Games has about as much to do with real motocross as the Pastrana/MC face-offs on the Tonight Show back in the day. But as far as getting dirt bikes in front of eye balls, it's HUGE.
|
newmann
8/1/2010 3:18pm
"Tonight I was in a downtown bar in rural Virginia-- there was Travis flipping across the screen."

Yes, but he was flipping across the screen on a DC dirt bike that went braaap braaaap braaaaaaap and can't be found anywhere in the US. I'm guessing somebody is missing the boat on all of this exposure.
jaeckle
8/1/2010 4:02pm
As MX fans we are way too close to the sport to understand the impact of this event. It's about TV, nothing less, nothing more. It's...
As MX fans we are way too close to the sport to understand the impact of this event.
It's about TV, nothing less, nothing more. It's a promotional event where dust, start gate malfunctions etc. mean NOTHING. It's a commercial for mx bikes.

I was sitting in a packed bar in downtown DC, next to Verizon Center on Friday night. There was a nice feature on Ashley FIolek on every screen in the place, and highlights of women's MX going on. How often are urban-dwelling residents of DC exposed to Ashley Fiolek? She could win 10 WMA championships in a row and not get this exposure.

Tonight I was in a downtown bar in rural Virginia-- there was Travis flipping across the screen in between baseball and NASCAR highlights.
The X Games has about as much to do with real motocross as the Pastrana/MC face-offs on the Tonight Show back in the day. But as far as getting dirt bikes in front of eye balls, it's HUGE.
TV land watching guys do double back flips makes them NOT want to buy a dirt bike. Horrible for the mx industry. And yes the women get more mainstream coverage than the men because it is different for women to do it. Time they get there own series on thier own dates and see how many people actually care about it to show up to watch.
FIREfish148
8/1/2010 4:07pm
Why the hell is tennis on instead of X?!?!! This is an outrage!
jaeckle
8/1/2010 4:09pm
because more people play tennis. duh

The Shop

bobby397
8/1/2010 4:10pm
xgames sucked. its been getting worse every year......... they are in socal and A1 gets a bigger crowd.....
FIREfish148
8/1/2010 4:15pm
jaeckle wrote:
Watching tennis on tv is about as fun as cleaning dog shit off your shoes. No offense to tennis players.
jaeckle
8/1/2010 4:17pm
jaeckle wrote:
Watching tennis on tv is about as fun as cleaning dog shit off your shoes. No offense to tennis players.
Thats the same thing I think of watching women ride at a AMA Pro National.
jaeckle
8/1/2010 4:23pm
lol I dig watching some chicks ride though.
What is it that you enjoy? Maybe I'm missing something.
Racerx930
8/1/2010 4:32pm
I think the Supermoto races are a much better fit to the X games. You have Freestyle riders, dirt trackers, MX'ers, road racers etc. all coming together once a year. I see this as a much more marketable event, but what do I know.
Trip
8/1/2010 5:03pm
bobby397 wrote:
xgames sucked. its been getting worse every year......... they are in socal and A1 gets a bigger crowd.....
Got actual numbers or are you just making shit up??
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
8/2/2010 9:39am
bobby397 wrote:
Trip wrote:
Got actual numbers or are you just making shit up??
During last night's show they broadcasted 137,000 for the 4 days, which isn't even the focus. The stands could be completely empty and ESPN wouldn't care because it is an ace when it comes to TV ratings.

This event is a big deal for sponsors because of the TV time I am positive. More sponsors for this event equals more sponsors year round for riders and teams.
peelout719
8/2/2010 9:48am
the rally event was a fucking joke.

the announcers didn't have a clue as to what the hell was going on. the drivers didn't have a clue. and the camera crew didn't have a clue.
Pdub
8/2/2010 11:44am
jaeckle wrote:
jaeckle wrote:
Thats the same thing I think of watching women ride at a AMA Pro National.
I would tell you to go to Hell, but you're already there.

How you can watch a person ride an mx bike quickly and not be into it simply because they're women boggles my simple mind. It's not like these ladies are slow. And even if they were, I still can find enjoyment watching the slower amateur classes... why can't you?
j100
8/2/2010 12:51pm
so 137,000 fans over 4 days is a joke?

some of you people are clueless.

137,000 fans + the TV ratings make X a success.

i will say this; they need to realize that the SX event needs to be run late at night or early in the morning (on a weekend). in my opinion, early, so they can water the track (& it won't be baking in the sun all day), not have shadows (sun coming down being right in your face), get people in and out of the event so they can spend the rest of the day doing other things.
KAWboy14
8/2/2010 12:57pm
the xgames are a success because they are PROMOTED HEAVILY!

1 billboard and 3 radio spots are what moto thinks promoting means!
cdm806
Fantasy
1404th
8/2/2010 1:04pm
Q: Why do we need X-Games?

A: To give us fans and off-week and a chance to get the honey-do list caught up before LL and the last 4 Nationals. XG is a joke. If it meant anything Dungey, Canard, Pourcel, Stewart, Windham, Metcalfe, Short, Wilson, and the rest of the top riders would be there. They're not. They're preparing for the final four rounds of a series that actually matters.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
8/2/2010 1:05pm
KAWboy14 wrote:

I hope you take over MX one day so itll become primetime, you have all of the answers
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
8/2/2010 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2010 1:07pm
cdm806 wrote:
Q: Why do we need X-Games? A: To give us fans and off-week and a chance to get the honey-do list caught up before LL and...

A: To give us fans and off-week and a chance to get the honey-do list caught up before LL and the last 4 Nationals. XG is a joke. If it meant anything Dungey, Canard, Pourcel, Stewart, Windham, Metcalfe, Short, Wilson, and the rest of the top riders would be there. They're not. They're preparing for the final four rounds of a series that actually matters.
it's so un-important that the people who ran "a series that actually matters" makes sure they dont overlap
cdm806
Fantasy
1404th
8/2/2010 1:12pm
cdm806 wrote:
Q: Why do we need X-Games? A: To give us fans and off-week and a chance to get the honey-do list caught up before LL and...

it's so un-important that the people who ran "a series that actually matters" makes sure they dont overlap
Why did Stewart and Windham bow out of XG? Why didn't Dungey, Canard, Pourcel, Metty, Short, etc go? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER! If it mattered, top talent would have been there.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
8/2/2010 1:15pm
cdm806 wrote:

cdm806 wrote:
Why did Stewart and Windham bow out of XG? Why didn't Dungey, Canard, Pourcel, Metty, Short, etc go? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER! If it mattered, top...
Why did Stewart and Windham bow out of XG? Why didn't Dungey, Canard, Pourcel, Metty, Short, etc go? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER! If it mattered, top talent would have been there.
youre right Grant isnt top talent.
KAWboy14
8/2/2010 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2010 1:16pm
KAWboy14 wrote:

I hope you take over MX one day so itll become primetime, you have all of the answers
if i took over moto:

i would publish the attendance numbers
i would show the books as proof i was going broke
i would get 2 billboards and 6 radio spots
i would make the riders and the track owners my partners, with the profits or lack of profits being spread to the partners
i would send the riders to speaking classes and teach them to be promoters of themselves and the sport
i would charge photographers for access and give the money to the riders (all of it)
since i would be doing the tv program at a loss of profit i would show both motos
everytime a rider (any rider) was on the tv program a little box would pop up with their sponsors. their personal sponsors would also have placement as their riding position scrolled across the screen

how am i doing so far?
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
8/2/2010 1:18pm
KAWboy14 wrote:

KAWboy14 wrote:
if i took over moto: i would publish the attendance numbers i would show the books as proof i was going broke i would get 2...
if i took over moto:

i would make the riders and the track owners my partners, with the profits or lack of profits being spread to the partners
i would send the riders to speaking classes and teach them to be promoters of themselves and the sport
i would charge photographers for access and give the money to the riders (all of it)
since i would be doing the tv program at a loss of profit i would show both motos
everytime a rider (any rider) was on the tv program a little box would pop up with their sponsors. their personal sponsors would also have placement as their riding position scrolled across the screen

how am i doing so far?
not sure, mainly because youre saying what you would do, not what youre actually doing. Who pays for the riders to go to speaking classes? How much of both motos would you show, the entire broadcast? So instead of paying for 2 hours youre paying for 4 hours?
KAWboy14
8/2/2010 1:18pm
also i would move the fans back closer to the track
i would let riders sell stuff for a profit at the track
i would shorten the races to 20 minutes and have 3 motos
KAWboy14
8/2/2010 1:19pm
sx i would shorten the races to 15 laps in the 450 class and 10 laps in the 250 class and have 2 motos!
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
8/2/2010 1:21pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
sx i would shorten the races to 15 laps in the 450 class and 10 laps in the 250 class and have 2 motos!
you would kill SX in one swift move. Theyve tried 2 motos in SX before with incredibly poor results. Joe Drunkard doesnt want to do math to figure out who won
cdm806
Fantasy
1404th
8/2/2010 1:22pm
cdm806 wrote:
Why did Stewart and Windham bow out of XG? Why didn't Dungey, Canard, Pourcel, Metty, Short, etc go? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER! If it mattered, top...
Ok, ONE top guy showed up, sand bagged against a bunch of also-rans and won. Tell me again why Dungey, Canard, Short, Pourcel, etc weren't there.
KAWboy14
8/2/2010 1:23pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
if i took over moto: i would publish the attendance numbers i would show the books as proof i was going broke i would get 2...
if i took over moto:

how am i doing so far?
not sure, mainly because youre saying what you would do, not what youre actually doing. Who pays for the riders to go to speaking classes? How...
not sure, mainly because youre saying what you would do, not what youre actually doing. Who pays for the riders to go to speaking classes? How much of both motos would you show, the entire broadcast? So instead of paying for 2 hours youre paying for 4 hours?
the chances of me running moto are slim to none obviously
(since the current people are losing so much money they want to keep it forever)

but yeah i could fit the second moto into the time that is wasted showing that stupid little track map and rider riding 1 lap.

put a camera on every rider and show the lap during the moto!
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
8/2/2010 1:26pm
cdm806 wrote:
cdm806 wrote:
Ok, ONE top guy showed up, sand bagged against a bunch of also-rans and won. Tell me again why Dungey, Canard, Short, Pourcel, etc weren't there.
Hansen won a round of SX this season I would consider that to be pretty decent.
Brayton is a factory rider, Tedesco had a pretty awesome season.

Cant answer for those guys, my assupmtion is that theyve been focusing on MX and switching skill sets isnt easy
KAWboy14
8/2/2010 1:26pm
KAWboy14 wrote:
you would kill SX in one swift move. Theyve tried 2 motos in SX before with incredibly poor results. Joe Drunkard doesnt want to do math...
you would kill SX in one swift move. Theyve tried 2 motos in SX before with incredibly poor results. Joe Drunkard doesnt want to do math to figure out who won
your wrong, from the live event standpoint, starts are where much of the action and risk is AND for the last 15 years 1 rider has basicly dominated sx so it has become boring. something will have to be done to increase the entertainment.

Post a reply to: Why we need the X Games

The Latest