Why was world mini gp cancelled ?

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/8/2015 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2015 8:18pm
Anyone know why they Cancelled or postponed the NMA world mini at Glen Helen.
|
slipdog
4/8/2015 2:30pm
You can't hold an amateur national with only 57 pre entries...
4/8/2015 2:32pm
slipdog wrote:
DAMN.....
looks like its going to be tough going on the amateur scene.....
500guy
4/8/2015 2:41pm
Does this get back to the split they have had in Ponca City for the NMA Finals ?
Racerx930
4/8/2015 2:41pm
I think people refuse to let their kids race with an organization that sues organizations that take care of sick kids. Then post press releases bragging about their win in court.

The Shop

slipdog
4/8/2015 2:44pm
slipdog wrote:
DAMN.....
looks like its going to be tough going on the amateur scene.....
While I was being sarcastic, I'd bet the actual entries have dropped to the point of it not being worth keeping the race alive.
Mr. Info
4/8/2015 3:36pm
Its tough for Ron to do it after they run the California Classic and that Trans World amateur race the week before. On of those has his entries so low he is hurting the other races. There goal is to put the others out of business. They have stated that fact. This is what our sport has become. Sad. Glad at 58 I don't and won't deal with that BS. He might try a later date if he can find a track. Glen Helen is busy every weekend until the end of the year. Ron's a good guy but some of his ways or thoughts might be leaving him behind. Hope he figures it out.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
4/8/2015 3:45pm
Because the race isn't in Las Vegas anymore? That was part of the appeal for me. Road trip!
chuckie108
4/8/2015 4:09pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Its tough for Ron to do it after they run the California Classic and that Trans World amateur race the week before. On of those has...
Its tough for Ron to do it after they run the California Classic and that Trans World amateur race the week before. On of those has his entries so low he is hurting the other races. There goal is to put the others out of business. They have stated that fact. This is what our sport has become. Sad. Glad at 58 I don't and won't deal with that BS. He might try a later date if he can find a track. Glen Helen is busy every weekend until the end of the year. Ron's a good guy but some of his ways or thoughts might be leaving him behind. Hope he figures it out.
I heard it was because the announcer at GH was calling out Vet riders over the PA for being too slow- Just a rumor though. ;-)
Mini Elsinore
4/8/2015 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2015 2:25pm
Ron is a good guy, but Patty Moorewood made NMA purr like a Cadillac.
And I will not mention the Moorewood name without a shout out to the patriarch. RIP Ted, you are still missed.
bd
4/8/2015 4:38pm
Shitty tracks in Vegas fucked this up --- at one time it was a must race event. Too bad Glen Helen could not save it
slipdog
4/8/2015 4:57pm
The good old days...

DanDunes818
4/8/2015 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2015 8:26pm

Yeah, it's crazy to me that the World Mini has lost it's luster. Before Loretta's, the World Mini was Loretta's. If you were going to hit one amateur National a year, that was the one. I remember when it all started at Indian Dunes. I'm proud to say my pops literally carved the first World Mini Bike Grand Prix track with a C4 Grader. I guess times have changed because the World Mini is gone and a C4 Grader couldn't make it past the first turn of a modern day MX track.

I'm not positive the above pic was from the World Mini at Indian Dunes, but I think so. It's at least 100% an NMA race at Indian Dunes, just not sure it's the World Mini

4/8/2015 8:02pm
This is sad but the Vegas track was a burnt out POS.

Saddleback sucked too but was cool for its history.
Definitely not like farm dirt loam.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
4/8/2015 8:57pm
NMA must not be doing well after the Ponca split I thought the World mini would be their big event.
bsharkey
4/8/2015 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2015 9:01pm
because the NMA races have turned into a joke.nothing like it once was. kawasaki hasn't been sending there riders to it for sometime now. they have been going downhill for a long time and the California classic has been getting bigger every year with the riders, contingencies etc
Pool-eh
Fantasy
2854th
4/8/2015 10:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2015 11:09pm
bd wrote:
Shitty tracks in Vegas fucked this up --- at one time it was a must race event. Too bad Glen Helen could not save it
Umm no. Years and years of shite tracks never hurt the turn out and to think so is incorrect. I remember the first time I raced there as a vegas local how no one could Polish this turd. But that never meant a thing. Because when contingencies and the turn outs are huge and multiple gates of B and A class riders(let alone 5 divisions of C class) bad tracks don't mean shit. You could race on an icicle covered with puke and if you promised everything that it had to offer in its heyday, people would show up. I remember in 2003, we dropped our trailer off in line two weeks before the move in day. We were #43.
So no it's got nothing to do with the track. It wasn't good don't get me wrong. But you take away parents night life and it dwindled. Most motor homes and trailers were empty of anyone over 18 shortly after the final moto of the day.
We lost the track after a lawsuit and the rest is history. It would've been hard to move it anywhere outside of vegas after the amount of parents and families that used it as a vacation(it often landed during spring break fyi).
The other thing that killed the world mini and the Nma in general was the economy. Ponca became 2nd place behind Loretta's long ago. And with people unable to afford to do all of the "big 7-8", that trip got weeded out. It happens. It's business. It sucks. I had great times at the world mini and Ponca. But the Nma is seemingly done unless we get a huge kick in the balls with the economy.
-Jake
bd
4/8/2015 11:59pm
bd wrote:
Pool-eh wrote:
Umm no. Years and years of shite tracks never hurt the turn out and to think so is incorrect. I remember the first time I raced...
Umm no. Years and years of shite tracks never hurt the turn out and to think so is incorrect. I remember the first time I raced there as a vegas local how no one could Polish this turd. But that never meant a thing. Because when contingencies and the turn outs are huge and multiple gates of B and A class riders(let alone 5 divisions of C class) bad tracks don't mean shit. You could race on an icicle covered with puke and if you promised everything that it had to offer in its heyday, people would show up. I remember in 2003, we dropped our trailer off in line two weeks before the move in day. We were #43.
So no it's got nothing to do with the track. It wasn't good don't get me wrong. But you take away parents night life and it dwindled. Most motor homes and trailers were empty of anyone over 18 shortly after the final moto of the day.
We lost the track after a lawsuit and the rest is history. It would've been hard to move it anywhere outside of vegas after the amount of parents and families that used it as a vacation(it often landed during spring break fyi).
The other thing that killed the world mini and the Nma in general was the economy. Ponca became 2nd place behind Loretta's long ago. And with people unable to afford to do all of the "big 7-8", that trip got weeded out. It happens. It's business. It sucks. I had great times at the world mini and Ponca. But the Nma is seemingly done unless we get a huge kick in the balls with the economy.
-Jake
So you are blaming the economy and the move from Boulder City?

If its the economy, why is LL, Mini O's, and other big AM races surviving?
Pool-eh
Fantasy
2854th
4/9/2015 8:54am
Yes I am. also think on where the majority of the top ams are located now. And once you move a supposed big race multip times in a decade, it's going to lose its luster. I'm sure if you went and looked at the sign ups from the last year at the speedway to the first year at the new place, the amount would be cut in half.
As far as why are other big races surviving with a garbage economy, that's pretty easy. If you can only afford to do 3 big time week long races a year, you have to cut out some races. and if you're staring a 25+ hour drive in the face and a new track you've never ridden plus lack luster contingencies and trackside support, you probably wouldn't mind having to cut out the world mini. First year not as many people show up and then it starts to snowball.
There's also something to be said about the ups and downs of series/big races. When I was 13, the series you had to do was golden state. 2 years later 250B only had 14 people in it and Gold Cup had 3 full divisions. So that's also a factor. Things lose luster after something new a shiny comes along.
But again, it wasn't the tracks. The track at the speedway wasn't good and they still held it there for what, 15 years?
Racerx930
4/9/2015 9:45am
bd wrote:
Pool-eh wrote:
Umm no. Years and years of shite tracks never hurt the turn out and to think so is incorrect. I remember the first time I raced...
-Jake
bd wrote:
So you are blaming the economy and the move from Boulder City? If its the economy, why is LL, Mini O's, and other big AM races...
So you are blaming the economy and the move from Boulder City?

If its the economy, why is LL, Mini O's, and other big AM races surviving?
This is spot on, The NMA has simply failed to keep up with changing times. The last 2 years they showed up to Norman and ran out of trophies for a 200 entry turnout............

Rodney at OMC works his ass off for that event, the NMA not so much.
dadofagun
Fantasy
2117th
4/9/2015 9:59am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2015 10:02am
The event was held in Vegas from 1985-2009. Last year at Saddleback was 84, not sure the first year there though. The event is done, and it's too bad. Too bad for the NMA as a whole, I promise thimgs would not be this way if Ted were still with us...I'm not putting Ron down, I'm just saying that when Ted and Patty were on board, things seemed to run MUCH smoother. Many have opinions on why the NMA has fallen on hard times, some are correct, some are not. The fact of the matter is that the Grand Nationals are basically no more, the Branson National is over ( ran by Ron as well ), and now the World Mini.....there seems to be a common denominator to all these downfalls in the span of, what 3 years? I truly hate to see this happen, as I, like many on here, grew up with the NMA racing their events. But I guess as the old saying goes, nothing lasts forever. I truly hope this event can be saved, but it looks as though the world of amateur MX has put the final nail in the NMA coffin, and it is very sad. I stand firm on the belief this could have been prevented.
4/9/2015 11:31am
For Calif, The NMA was a west coast sanction like CMC, CRC, CMMC etc all in CA.
Virtuallly No Presence anywhere else except for Ponca Qualifiers.

The AMA and the districts is Nationwide, although AMA Motocross in Dist 36 or 37 or whatever it was in CALIF, was Non existant for Motocross(All Desert racing), other than Qualifiers for Lorettas. And that was a stretch.

The NMA Sanction had 2 events maybe 3(Texas?).. World Mini and Ponca(And the qualifiers) All at Tracks in CALIF sanctioned By the Above "C" sanctions. Usually the NMA Qualifiers were ran in conjuction with CMC, CMMC, or CRC events or ran as one and scored accordingly.

They just didn't have enough presence.

Same for AMA Motocross in Calif. Whats the point if you arent running Lorettas or are a PRO.

BAMX
4/9/2015 12:39pm
For Calif, The NMA was a west coast sanction like CMC, CRC, CMMC etc all in CA. Virtuallly No Presence anywhere else except for Ponca Qualifiers...
For Calif, The NMA was a west coast sanction like CMC, CRC, CMMC etc all in CA.
Virtuallly No Presence anywhere else except for Ponca Qualifiers.

The AMA and the districts is Nationwide, although AMA Motocross in Dist 36 or 37 or whatever it was in CALIF, was Non existant for Motocross(All Desert racing), other than Qualifiers for Lorettas. And that was a stretch.

The NMA Sanction had 2 events maybe 3(Texas?).. World Mini and Ponca(And the qualifiers) All at Tracks in CALIF sanctioned By the Above "C" sanctions. Usually the NMA Qualifiers were ran in conjuction with CMC, CMMC, or CRC events or ran as one and scored accordingly.

They just didn't have enough presence.

Same for AMA Motocross in Calif. Whats the point if you arent running Lorettas or are a PRO.

True but the AMA is making a comeback in CA.
Bry145
4/9/2015 7:43pm
Maybe amateur motocross has been priced beyond the reach of the middle class. If only the upper middle class is racing, there will be less races because this is a smaller group.

It seems the only people racing nowadays are kids who have parents who pay for everything and well-off vet riders. If this is the case amateur motocross will get smaller and smaller. People will still ride but not show up to the races and buy a new bike every 5 years. This will hurt the OEMs and aftermarket.

jmar
4/9/2015 8:18pm
Ron is a good guy, but Patty Moorewood made NMA purr like a Cadillac. And I will not mention the Moorewood name without a shout out...
Ron is a good guy, but Patty Moorewood made NMA purr like a Cadillac.
And I will not mention the Moorewood name without a shout out to the patriarch. RIP Ted, you are still missed.
This^

Post a reply to: Why was world mini gp cancelled ?

The Latest