Why was Brayton not picked?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/12/2018 7:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2018 7:43 AM

I wonder if Honda is kind of feeling punked because they chose Christian Craig to fill Cole Seely's spot on the factory bike, and here they just watched their guy get smoked by Justin Brayton on a non-factory bolt-on Honda 450? When they were looking for a guy to sub for Cole after he got hurt, I was saying surely they'd pull Justin as their guy...but they dipped into their Geico team for it instead. Oh well, it sure wasn't my first time to be wrong!

Hindsight is, that maybe because Geico is basically Honda's factory 250f team and MCR is a privateer effort, they couldn't have gotten Justin anyway. What's the deal?

|

3/12/2018 7:44 AM

Who said Brayton would want to go to Factory Honda? Maybe they asked and he's happy where he is at?!

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

3/12/2018 7:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2018 8:05 AM

MCR has a title sponsor and Brayton is 3rd in the points.

They need Brayton so a move to Factory Honda was not an option.

And why would MCR ever agree to that? Yes they get help from Honda but their bikes are far, far from the factory bikes. I mean Brayton has factory Showa suspension and a factory front brake caliper, that is it. He even removed the e-start because they wanted to drop the weight since they are not using any titanium.

|

3/12/2018 7:49 AM

Why didn't they just get Tomac? He smoked their guy, too.

Sound ridiculous because Tomac is already under contract on a team? Well, same answer.

|

3/12/2018 8:21 AM

Motofinne wrote:

And why would MCR ever agree to that? Yes they get help from Honda but their bikes are far, far from the factory bikes. I mean Brayton has factory Showa suspension and a factory front brake caliper, that is it. He even removed the e-start because they wanted to drop the weight since they are not using any titanium.

Why wouldn't he be using titanium bolts? Hell half the kids at Loretta Lynn's are using titanium bolts. They are pretty common now a days.

|

3/12/2018 8:22 AM

Motofinne wrote:

TXDirt wrote:

Why wouldn't he be using titanium bolts? Hell half the kids at Loretta Lynn's are using titanium bolts. They are pretty common now a days.

I don't know, maybe a budget issue.

I'm sure ML knows more.

|

3/12/2018 8:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2018 8:38 AM

Motofinne wrote:

I'm sure ML knows more.

Whatever the case, clearly MCR has built a competitive bike that JB10 is comfortable on.

|

3/12/2018 8:37 AM

He was in talks with Honda about a fill-in role.

He personally turned it down, knew the impact it would have on MCR.

He describes it on the second to last question asked in this interview.

http://racerxonline.com/2018/03/05/450-words-braytons-breakthrough

|

@wasummer46

3/12/2018 8:52 AM

Also, I'm sure Honda is not all that bummed out about winning the Daytona SX with a bike that is closer to what YOU can buy off the showroom floor. That's a win-win for them.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/12/2018 8:58 AM

TXDirt wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

I'm sure ML knows more.

Dirty Points wrote:

Whatever the case, clearly MCR has built a competitive bike that JB10 is comfortable on.

Absolutely!

I want to clarify that my comments were not a dig on MCR. More of a dig to Honda since in my opinion they aren't supporting their satellite team enough.

Look at RMATVMC KTM. Yes, they are leasing(?) the bikes but they are on identical equipment as the Red Bull Factory team.

|

3/12/2018 9:06 AM

Motofinne wrote:

I'm sure ML knows more.

Dirty Points wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

Absolutely!

I want to clarify that my comments were not a dig on MCR. More of a dig to Honda since in my opinion they aren't supporting their satellite team enough.

Look at RMATVMC KTM. Yes, they are leasing(?) the bikes but they are on identical equipment as the Red Bull Factory team.

I see it more as an opportunity for a Ti supplier to get their name involved with the current top Honda team, should the team be interested.

|

3/12/2018 9:09 AM

Lack of factory ECUs available

|

3/12/2018 9:23 AM

Also, Craig's got what, a 5th and a 4th? I bet if the past 2 weeks results were combined Brayton would be the top, then Tomac then Craig? Without doing the math. I bet Honda is pretty pleased with Craig's performance.

|

3/12/2018 9:45 AM

TXDirt wrote:

If I’m not mistaken I think I heard on Pulp they were talking about how he preferred more stock components instead of titanium. For example the engine hangers changing the feeling of the chassis. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think that’s what they said.

|

3/12/2018 9:49 AM

Brayton chose to stay at MCR. Hearing his interview about his triple crown win and now this the week after. Amazing!!! So happy for him.

|

3/12/2018 10:03 AM

He was the first one asked, the team talked and said no.

|

3/12/2018 10:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2018 10:46 AM

DF313 wrote:

Also, Craig's got what, a 5th and a 4th? I bet if the past 2 weeks results were combined Brayton would be the top, then Tomac then Craig? Without doing the math. I bet Honda is pretty pleased with Craig's performance.

Yes. Perspective is in order.

This weekend's 1-4 finish was better for Honda than any race Seely/Roczen have combined for. It was the best red finish since Canard/Reed went 1-2 at Jacksonville 2011.

|

3/12/2018 10:28 AM

UpTiTe wrote:

Hey there buddy! Long time no hear. How ya been?

|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

3/12/2018 11:51 AM

UpTiTe wrote:

Ryno23 wrote:

Hey there buddy! Long time no hear. How ya been?

Iivin the dream bud, have a few lingering medical issues, but other than that life is good..

I was thinking about you the other day, wondering what you been up to?

|

3/12/2018 10:09 PM

UpTiTe wrote:

Iivin the dream bud, have a few lingering medical issues, but other than that life is good..

I was thinking about you the other day, wondering what you been up to?

Same here man. Been a year since my hip replacement. Still not back to full speed. Honestly don't know that I ever will be again at 42 now. But all in all life is blessed for me. I'll give you a call soon so we can catch up on the latest. Cheers!

|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

3/13/2018 1:01 AM

wasummer46 wrote:

He was in talks with Honda about a fill-in role.

He personally turned it down, knew the impact it would have on MCR.

He describes it on the second to last question asked in this interview.

http://racerxonline.com/2018/03/05/450-words-braytons-breakthrough

I've never was a Brayton fan or hater, he has always just been a guy floating around the top 10 to me. Sometimes a podium threat but never a main event winner. Kinda reminds me of a Larry Ward or John Dowd type that just turns it on and gets better with age. But that interview sold me on him and I'm pumped he pulled off the win. Good for him staying loyal to Genova and Motoconcepts.

|

3/13/2018 6:00 AM

Hindsight is 20/20.

|

3/13/2018 6:10 AM

Honda quits sponsoring Daytona then they win it.

|

SHORTER OF BREATH
ONE DAY CLOSER TO DEATH

3/13/2018 3:24 PM

It would be cool if Honda could hook up MCR with a factory bike for Brayton for getting a win , instead of having MCR pay/lease it. But obviously brayton is more than happy with the bike.

|

3/13/2018 4:33 PM

Got this 1/12 Cole Seely in the mail today, I'm hoping that they'll do a Brayton replica.Photo

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

3/13/2018 4:54 PM

ATHEIST wrote:

Honda quits sponsoring Daytona then they win it.

HA, Your'e right, that just adds more to what a crazy historical night Daytona turned out to be.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.