Why the secrecy on injuries?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/6/2019 9:05 AM

I dont really understand why riders and team thinks its so important to hide that a rider is injured? To me it looked like Andersson is having some kind of injury, why does that have to be a secret? That would explain why he came in 14th place. Now no one knows what was going on and it just looked really bad.

If its supposed to not give your opponents a psychological advantage i think its worse to let them think hes just not riding very good.

I just dont get it.

|

1/6/2019 9:20 AM

He looked like he was having trouble with his goggles, but I guess we could just jump to conclusions and say he is injured.

|

1/6/2019 9:22 AM

He was flying in practice

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

1/6/2019 9:24 AM

woody woodpecker wrote:

He looked like he was having trouble with his goggles, but I guess we could just jump to conclusions and say he is injured.

As far back as he fell, wouldn’t it have been better to pull in and get a pair?

|

1/6/2019 9:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2019 9:47 AM

woody woodpecker wrote:

Andersson was just an example i dont know if hes injured or not, thats not the point. The point is that its always so hush hush about small injuries. We often get to know after the season is done that riders where suffering from injuries during the season and we often go "aaaah thats why he didnt ride very good". Isn it better to explain the situation right away and not "look bad"?

|

1/6/2019 9:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2019 9:50 AM

woody woodpecker wrote:

Btw, did he also have problem with his googles in the heat race? Cause he dropped anchor there aswell.

|

1/6/2019 10:00 AM

Because telling the truth and/or transparency would reverse the poles of moto, and nobody would know how to act anymore. Simple as that. From our machines to our brains, there will always be secrets in racing.

|

1/6/2019 10:07 AM

what injurieswhistling
this thread never happened.

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

1/6/2019 10:12 AM

Because stupid.

|

1/6/2019 10:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2019 10:36 AM

I saw Anderson take his left hand off the bar and shake it. Could have been a number of reasons for him doing so but the way he went backwards in not normal. Something aint right.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

1/6/2019 10:43 AM

Lack of Altitude Sickness, or maybe Anderson is just not good in the wet & mud. He's from New Mexico, right?

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

1/6/2019 11:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2019 11:04 AM

People hide injuries in every sport. We always find out Bradys injuries in the off season.

|

1/6/2019 11:16 AM

drt410 wrote:

People hide injuries in every sport. We always find out Bradys injuries in the off season.

But thats the question. What are the advantages of hiding as opposed to Just stating the facts?

Wouldn’t it be way smarter to say he is injured and have everyone expect a poor result and if he does good everyone says “damn he rode his ass off for being injured” vs. have the champ post a poor result and have folks speculate the thousands of reasons?

It seems way worse to not say anything and leave people to belive that “the competition has just gotten that much better over the off season”

|

1/6/2019 11:20 AM

What does the competition getting better have to do with Ando being hurt. I think as long as his team knows whats really going on hes fine.

|

1/6/2019 11:25 AM

Reese95w wrote:

Lack of Altitude Sickness, or maybe Anderson is just not good in the wet & mud. He's from New Mexico, right?

That’s funny stuff right there...

|

1/6/2019 11:26 AM

Webb caught JA, passed him, caught him again and lapped him.
Something must be up.

|

1/6/2019 11:27 AM

woody woodpecker wrote:

uk125250 wrote:

As far back as he fell, wouldn’t it have been better to pull in and get a pair?

that's what I was thinking during the broadcast. When he was in 7th, a 5 sec pitstop would have remedied his dramatic anchor drop.

|

1/6/2019 12:23 PM

All professional sports publicize their injured reserve list because it creates a false sense of hope for the opponents.

Supercross does the opposite. The brain trust of this sport is as sharp as a twinke.

|

1/6/2019 12:53 PM

They hide injuries as a part of a mental game. They dont want to show weakness.

|

1/6/2019 12:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2019 12:59 PM

kb228 wrote:

They hide injuries as a part of a mental game. They dont want to show weakness.

weakness is shown pretty clear when you drop from 3rd-14th. its not like in football or basketball where you can try to exploit the competitors weakness. your either faster then the other rider or not regardless if they are injured

|

1/6/2019 12:59 PM

There is something to be said about not letting the competition know where you are injured. It wasn't long ago (and may still hold true) that if an opponent knew you had a hurt knee / ankle/ whatever they would aim for it in a turn. Also, if you are leading it will give an opponent a mental edge "knowing" that you're hurting as they chase you. I completely agree that it would be nice to have some transparency, but there are some reasons behind keeping it quiet.

Also, all of the people that care about your results (the people paying you) are made aware of what is going on. They aren't scratching their head wondering why a guy is going backwards.

|

Here's to feeling good all the time

1/6/2019 1:01 PM

imo, you'd be better off saying yea im dealing with this injury, then when you beat your comp they'll be thinking fuck he's not even healthy and beating me.

|

1/6/2019 1:07 PM

soggy wrote:

imo, you'd be better off saying yea im dealing with this injury, then when you beat your comp they'll be thinking fuck he's not even healthy and beating me.

Exactly!

|

1/6/2019 1:11 PM

FuzzyLogic wrote:

There is something to be said about not letting the competition know where you are injured. It wasn't long ago (and may still hold true) that if an opponent knew you had a hurt knee / ankle/ whatever they would aim for it in a turn. Also, if you are leading it will give an opponent a mental edge "knowing" that you're hurting as they chase you. I completely agree that it would be nice to have some transparency, but there are some reasons behind keeping it quiet.

Also, all of the people that care about your results (the people paying you) are made aware of what is going on. They aren't scratching their head wondering why a guy is going backwards.

Ofc the team and sponsors are aware of it. But the fans and media are not. That creates alot of speculations and people talking shit about how said rider sucks, he hasnt prepared enough, his bike sucks, his girlfriend is at fault etc etc etc. Instead of just saying, im having issues with my knee, but im fighting through right know and i will be 100% soon.

|

1/6/2019 1:13 PM

https://results.amasupercross.com/xml/SX/events/S1905/S1F1RID.pdf

When top guy goes from 1.05 lap to 1.21 laps while others keep pace there is just more than Oakley is bad when it rains. Didnt hear him say what was wrong so maybe just inlury or sickness that will heal soon or later..

|

1/6/2019 1:18 PM

tek14 wrote:

https://results.amasupercross.com/xml/SX/events/S1905/S1F1RID.pdf

When top guy goes from 1.05 lap to 1.21 laps while others keep pace there is just more than Oakley is bad when it rains. Didnt hear him say what was wrong so maybe just inlury or sickness that will heal soon or later..

i think he just wasn't comfortable at all,with the track conditions and the bike. he showed he had the speed early in the race and quals. i think he just never found a rhythm and went into survival mode.

|

1/6/2019 1:32 PM

it didnt look busy at all.

|

1/6/2019 2:03 PM

Why pour your own blood in the water for the rest of the sharks to react to ? That’s why.

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/6/2019 2:21 PM

Photo
|

1/6/2019 2:22 PM

He was defiantly not 100% last night. I understand not disclosing injuries so the competition gets a mental edge. But that crap kills my fantasy picks..,

Also if the point of race teams are to sell bikes doesn't it make the bike look worse if we are wondering if the poor results are bike or rider?

|

2018 CRF250R