Why the "hate" on top ten guys?

Yeti365
I'm mostly intrigued to get some insight/opinion on this due to some comments on IG and FB from posts on Transworld, Racer X, MXA, etc. but I've seen it here and on there on this forum a few times so I ask... what's up with people saying top ten guys don't deserve factory rides?

I'll put it this way: there are four Japanese manufacturers and two Euro manufacturers who put up a serious factory effort, especially in the 450 class. They all have two, sometimes three, riders in the premier class. This means we are looking at 12+ factory backed contenders fighting for the top spot.

For obvious reasons, they can't all win, or podium, or top five or even top ten.

So why say a top ten guy doesn't deserve that ride?

We aren't even talking about the massive backing you get from the factory satellite teams or even the big hitter privateer teams in this.

Imo, I think top ten guys deserve every bit of support and backing that the industry has to offer but some don't see it that way.

You even see teams like RB KTM and Pro Circuit (granted PC is 250 class but same ideal applies) that will cut a top ten guy who doesn't get on the podium. And I get it, you're in it to win it.

But with the teams and talent that are all out there, not everyone is going to achieve that. So why say someone shouldn't be in that position when they are the top ten of the cream of the crop?

Just some random thought I'd love to hear a discussion on.

Thoughts everyone?
|
9/25/2018 8:09pm
Teams wanna win and that’s what they’re gonna pay guys to do. Why would they settle at a guy who is in the top ten when they want a guy to win and podium? I see what you’re saying though and obviously every team can’t win so they try to inch their way to the top.
Bermworm
9/25/2018 9:48pm
Jealousy envy stupidity take your pick it's a winner take all mentality these days which leaves an awful lot of losers. I'm only speaking for myself of course but for the most part I've found losers are cool which is why I race MX so I can hang out with them all on the weekend.
NorCal 50+
9/25/2018 9:54pm
It's just the nature of the game. No team is gonna say "Awesome, you got 12th." (or even 8th or 6th or 5th) It's just not how it works. That said, there are iconic riders who made fortunes and fame and never won a championship or even hardly a race (Pastrana Guy Cooper, Tim Ferry, Larry Ward, Larocco in SX etc.). It goes both ways.
FWYT
9/25/2018 9:55pm
" . . . due to some comments on IG and FB . . . "

Stop.

That is your answer right there.

The Shop

devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
9/25/2018 10:37pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2018 10:37pm
FWYT wrote:

Stop.

...because people on social media think you can put a privateer on a factory team and they'll suddenly become the next Roczen.

While it may be the platform some riders need to reach a top 10 level, it's ludicrous how they think that proven factory riders should be kicked to the curb and give some 25th place privateer the support and equipment while a proven top 10 contender has to ride lesser equipment.
9/25/2018 11:09pm
...because people on social media think you can put a privateer on a factory team and they'll suddenly become the next Roczen. While it may be...
...because people on social media think you can put a privateer on a factory team and they'll suddenly become the next Roczen.

While it may be the platform some riders need to reach a top 10 level, it's ludicrous how they think that proven factory riders should be kicked to the curb and give some 25th place privateer the support and equipment while a proven top 10 contender has to ride lesser equipment.
This. People love a good Cinderella story. At the end of the day, though, rational fans should realize that even being the 6-10th place dude takes a LOT of talent, not to mention hard work and dedication. The cream rises to the top - and there they are. It's romantic to think that any given triple-digit rider could become the next Eli Tomac with the right $$$$ factory team and trainer, but 99 times out of 100, not very realistic.
Yeti365
9/25/2018 11:11pm
FWYT wrote:

Stop.

I see your point, but it reminded me that I've seen it here to at times so I'd thought I'd gather insight. I hold a lot of respect for these guys who can pull this gig and can't imagine how any "fan" of the sport itself could talk down on someone who does a bit more than just qualifying or making the main (not to take anything away from the guys who do that grind either).

Granted it's social media, but public forum is public forum and I see it every where.

Some of the best racing I see in the 450s is 3rd to 6th.
MR. X
9/26/2018 5:30am
Deserve, such a garbage word .
BobKerr
9/26/2018 5:41am
I think some Vitards believe certain riders should not have their job because they have 'peaked', and are on the decline, and a younger rider who is still improving should be given a chance. I have seen that reasoning posted anyway.
ga_pike
9/26/2018 6:08am
BobKerr wrote:
I think some Vitards believe certain riders should not have their job because they have 'peaked', and are on the decline, and a younger rider who...
I think some Vitards believe certain riders should not have their job because they have 'peaked', and are on the decline, and a younger rider who is still improving should be given a chance. I have seen that reasoning posted anyway.
IMO, by that rationale, guys like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers shouldn't be starting for their teams. Guys like Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson should stay home and no longer play competitive golf. It's crazy talk.

There is so much more to this than just winning or losing. A guy like Reed, who is a multi-time champion has such a huge following... he put butts in seats and provides exactly what outside the industry sponsors are looking for... EXPOSURE. I mean, winning is great, but do more people around the world know Eli Tomac and Jason Anderson or James Stewart and Chad Reed.

Name a hockey player... or soccer player... or tennis star. My guess is you've named someone established and most likely beyond their prime. Sydney Crosby, as great as he is, is past his prime... same with Ovechkin. That said, I'm not sure I could name any of the current, up and coming NHL guys.
resetjet
9/26/2018 6:31am
Because its 80% rider 20% bike. The same guy usually wins. Would be more exciting if riders were equal.
9/26/2018 9:54am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
It's just the nature of the game. No team is gonna say "Awesome, you got 12th." (or even 8th or 6th or 5th) It's just not...
It's just the nature of the game. No team is gonna say "Awesome, you got 12th." (or even 8th or 6th or 5th) It's just not how it works. That said, there are iconic riders who made fortunes and fame and never won a championship or even hardly a race (Pastrana Guy Cooper, Tim Ferry, Larry Ward, Larocco in SX etc.). It goes both ways.
Pastrana, Cooper, and Ferry all won championships. But I agree with the OP. All the hate for the riders is stupid and it's only the most stupid people who talk shit on or to them.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/26/2018 9:58am
If a factory chooses to sign you, you deserve that ride.

Post a reply to: Why the "hate" on top ten guys?

The Latest