Why the USGP Moved from Gatorback to WW Ranch

edgo897
7/19/2017 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 3:19pm
DC wrote:
edgo897 wrote "If you go to the Unlimited Sports website they say they own Gatorback. So who exactly owns it. County property tax records list Unlimited...
edgo897 wrote "If you go to the Unlimited Sports website they say they own Gatorback. So who exactly owns it. County property tax records list Unlimited Sports as the owner. If they don't own it why do they pay property taxes?"

Believe me, they are not the landowners, but they've held the lease for 15 years, ever since Jerry and Linda West retired. Another family owns the land. Maybe the deal is when you have the lease and operate a business on it, you pay the taxes too. No matter, I have no idea what they have planned for the land, but Gainesville looks like it's starting to creep out there more and more... But not anytime soon.

DC
Racer X
I own land not too far from the track. Alachua County only allows one house per five acres out there last I checked. The Gatorback annual property tax bill was only $1800 last year. It's agricultural land. So it won't be a subdivision anytime soon. There's more to the story but the bottom line is that's it's a big disappointment for us old Florida MXers. I bet we continue to see Unlimited Sports have events at Gatorback.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
7/19/2017 3:22pm
GuyB wrote:
Whoa, things happen fast sometimes. After some years of acrimony between the promoters of the MX Nationals and the Youthstream, things quickly took a turn for...
Whoa, things happen fast sometimes. After some years of acrimony between the promoters of the MX Nationals and the Youthstream, things quickly took a turn for the better this year when they agreed to cooperate on events here in the U.S. That resulted in a USGP scheduled for Labor Day weekend at Gatorback Raceway in Gainsville, FL. The sudden turn was remarkable, and good for all parties involved, including fans in the Southeast who had been clamoring for a world-class MX race in the Southeast.

But...suddenly, it was announced that there's a new venue for this year's USGP. WW Ranch, near Jacksonville, FL. That's only about a 70 mile difference, and it still works for the logistics of the arriving GP equipment. So what happened? Well, as we understand it, it goes like this...

Wyn Kern, the longtime promoter at Gatorback, had been leasing the track from a group of owners. In the past, every time it came time for renewal, a new agreement had been worked out, and the lease was extended. The most recent lease ended in June, and Wyn assumed that he'd be able to renegotiate a deal to continue into the future.

Apparently there was also a provision in the lease that if there was ever an AMA National (not GP) there, that there would be a relative increase in price.

We've been told that when the owners discovered that a World Championship GP had been scheduled there, they weren't happy, and boosted the cost of a renewal to an unreasonable level...far beyond the double price. More like in the realm of 1000%. Negotiations went back and forth, but were still too far apart to come to an agreement.

Attempts were made to even rent the facility for that weekend only. Those also failed.

For all intents and purposes, it sounds like Gatorback is now done, and it's likely that the Mini O's will also be moving to WW Ranch.

So that's it in a nutshell. We're looking forward to checking out the race on September 3rd.

You can check out the WW Ranch web site at: http://www.wwmotox.com
An old quote which applies to finances...the traders here will no doubt love this: Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. Still holds true I see
TeamGreen
7/19/2017 3:29pm
Thumper243 wrote:
I still dream of a bigger race here. [img]https://trailmoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/IMG_3337.jpg[/img] [img]http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt305/Utrider/Powder%20Mtn%2009/Powdermtn09281.jpg[/img] [img]http://davehales.com/bike/powder%20mtn%20mx/Resized/rally2009%20074.jpg[/img]
I still dream of a bigger race here.

jeffro503 wrote:
Where is that thumper?
Powder Mountain

The Shop

DC
7/19/2017 4:36pm
edgo897 I really don't see that happening and it sucks for motocross in general to see a track that old and that has hosted so many big races possibly done forever... The two sides were extremely far apart and it will take a lot of time and work to fix the divide that seems to exist now. And if they can't build on it, it just adds to what frustration this whole exercise in trying negotiating new terms was.

DC
Racer X
kkawboy14
7/19/2017 4:42pm
DC wrote:
edgo897 I really don't see that happening and it sucks for motocross in general to see a track that old and that has hosted so many...
edgo897 I really don't see that happening and it sucks for motocross in general to see a track that old and that has hosted so many big races possibly done forever... The two sides were extremely far apart and it will take a lot of time and work to fix the divide that seems to exist now. And if they can't build on it, it just adds to what frustration this whole exercise in trying negotiating new terms was.

DC
Racer X
Unless they are going to start mining dirt there again, I can't imagine how they will ever make money on that place without a proper promoter. They obviously have no clue what they are doing in terms of moto.
mx317
7/19/2017 4:46pm
Maybe another promoter will step in after awhile and keep it alive. The owners may need to see that it's a rock quarry and not a gold mine.
Squitlege
7/19/2017 4:51pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Unless they are going to start mining dirt there again, I can't imagine how they will ever make money on that place without a proper promoter...
Unless they are going to start mining dirt there again, I can't imagine how they will ever make money on that place without a proper promoter. They obviously have no clue what they are doing in terms of moto.
From what very little I know about the place, the owner group doesn't really give a rat for moto to begin with.. Gonna be a real shame if this place dries up. But, greener pastures are always around the corner.
DonM
7/19/2017 5:15pm
TripleFive wrote:
The Charlotte USGP looks like it had more elevation changes.
Well Mr negative....FYI Florida is flat and the elevation at Gatorback was man made...it was in an old limestone quarry...but then I'm sure you have never been there much less raced there...
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/19/2017 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 5:29pm
This whole Gatorback deal feels a little like the Lake Whitney deal. I know, some different details, but in general.
MotoX85
7/19/2017 5:30pm
We go to WW every year during the winter months, the track will not be the issue for this event. I actually think the track will probably be the best mix of obsticles out of any track for the US and GP riders.

The problem will be parking, spectating and Hotels. All of these can be worked with.

I personally think its probably a better venue for the race.
kkawboy14
7/19/2017 5:37pm
Spectating a flat track compared to spectating Gatorback......can't even compare the 2
kkawboy14
7/19/2017 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 5:40pm
MotoX85 wrote:
We go to WW every year during the winter months, the track will not be the issue for this event. I actually think the track will...
We go to WW every year during the winter months, the track will not be the issue for this event. I actually think the track will probably be the best mix of obsticles out of any track for the US and GP riders.

The problem will be parking, spectating and Hotels. All of these can be worked with.

I personally think its probably a better venue for the race.
With my $400 ticket I'm thinking they are gonna Limo us in from the closest Publix or Winn-Dixie......if those lots are full they can pick us up in Georgia at the Piggly Wiggly. Then strap us on a private drone to hover over the track!
endo
7/19/2017 5:50pm
Squitlege wrote:
I just hope Gold Club is re-opened in time for the after party

Squitlege
7/19/2017 5:59pm
endo wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/19/205528/s1200_GC.jpg[/img]

Ya feeling it brah?
gharmon
7/19/2017 6:49pm
Is there usually an amateur ride day at the GP's like at the nat's? Should we bring our bikes?

ge217
7/19/2017 6:59pm
mx317 wrote:
Maybe another promoter will step in after awhile and keep it alive. The owners may need to see that it's a rock quarry and not a...
Maybe another promoter will step in after awhile and keep it alive. The owners may need to see that it's a rock quarry and not a gold mine.
You should re think what you said. Or here let me change a few words around for you.

Rock quarry equals a gold mine.

Obvisouly you don't know the valve in mining in that area. Lime is what they get from mining the rock quarry for one. They would make more with that land from mining then they have in the last 20 years of races at the track.
7/19/2017 7:01pm
Local rumors were that current agreement was in the realm of $400k to possibly $600k per year, and with the GP announcement, they wanted $1mil+. WWRanch has become probably the most popular track in Florida the last 2-3 years, so I expect they will put on a good program.
JustMX
7/19/2017 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 7:25pm
Local rumors were that current agreement was in the realm of $400k to possibly $600k per year, and with the GP announcement, they wanted $1mil+. WWRanch...
Local rumors were that current agreement was in the realm of $400k to possibly $600k per year, and with the GP announcement, they wanted $1mil+. WWRanch has become probably the most popular track in Florida the last 2-3 years, so I expect they will put on a good program.
I will go ahead and call bs on the $400k. They weren't open every freaking day, and while.the mini os were a strong event, they wouldn't justify that price annually.

Maybe US was paying $100k a year and like has been mentioned several times, they tried to increase it 10x.

If only US could have gotten the owners to call budds creek, Glen helen, charlotte speedway, or thunder valley they could have found out that this was probably going to be a breakeven event that in no way justified any rent increase.
Thumper243
7/19/2017 7:30pm
The need to start looking at tracks more people would want to go to and be able to other things also. And have good viewing.

There are almost no tracks that would make me want to make a trip to on the circuit here currently.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/19/2017 7:44pm
Thumper243 wrote:
The need to start looking at tracks more people would want to go to and be able to other things also. And have good viewing. There...
The need to start looking at tracks more people would want to go to and be able to other things also. And have good viewing.

There are almost no tracks that would make me want to make a trip to on the circuit here currently.

Man, scanning your posts since you landed here, there's not much that you like.

Did you get the email I sent to the account you signed up with? Or was that just a disposable address?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/19/2017 7:46pm
Thumper243 wrote:
The need to start looking at tracks more people would want to go to and be able to other things also. And have good viewing. There...

Good luck getting the team semis up there...
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/19/2017 7:51pm
ML512 wrote:
Good luck getting the team semis up there...
Up there is one thing...
mx317
7/19/2017 7:53pm
mx317 wrote:
Maybe another promoter will step in after awhile and keep it alive. The owners may need to see that it's a rock quarry and not a...
ge217 wrote:
You should re think what you said. Or here let me change a few words around for you. Rock quarry equals a gold mine. Obvisouly you...
You should re think what you said. Or here let me change a few words around for you.

Rock quarry equals a gold mine.

Obvisouly you don't know the valve in mining in that area. Lime is what they get from mining the rock quarry for one. They would make more with that land from mining then they have in the last 20 years of races at the track.
"Obvisouly" you don't know the "valve" in learning how to spell.
oshow
7/19/2017 7:58pm
I don't really care about the GP, but Gatorback I absolutely love Gatorback... sad... it will be a subdivision in a few years
Sully
7/19/2017 8:00pm
PRM31 wrote:
Track looks reasonable. Could make for good racing even if it lacks the natural terrain. Chance to get rough at least. Maybe? Is that the tendency...
Track looks reasonable. Could make for good racing even if it lacks the natural terrain. Chance to get rough at least. Maybe? Is that the tendency of this track?

So, next big question is what riders from the US Nationals will ride the GP?
It gets plenty rough. As the day goes on you start getting into that Florida beach sand. It's gonna be a serious test for those guys...
It gets plenty rough. As the day goes on you start getting into that Florida beach sand. It's gonna be a serious test for those guys. It's hotter than hell here in September and still so humid you always feel like you just stepped out of the shower.
If Jacksonville is anything like Pensacola, you can also count on the daily afternoon downpour to add another element to the track.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/19/2017 8:15pm
Thumper243 wrote:

Your posts seem similar to Skidaddles'.
TXDirt
7/19/2017 8:52pm
This all could have been avoided had MXGP/AMA/Feld, actually awarded the race to a group who had a current lease that covered the date the MXGP was to be hosted. I mean this is basic due dillegence folks. But some how the powers that be are totally shocked by this outcome.

They awarded, promoted, advertised, and sold tickets for a race that didn't even have a lease on the track covering the period that the MXGP was to be hosted.

After knowing this, I would have been more shocked if the event at Gatorback was even pulled off.

Now we know a bit of what happened so how can anyone be shocked by the outcome? They awarded the MXGP to a guy who didn't even have a current lease that would have covered the date for the MXGP.

If you are as shocked by these events as the leaders of the sport are, then I would also like to sign up for a MXGP to a track I have no lease on.
wildbill
7/19/2017 9:18pm
Thumper243 wrote:

kzizok wrote:
Your posts seem similar to Skidaddles'.
Any smokin hot deals in land still available?

Post a reply to: Why the USGP Moved from Gatorback to WW Ranch

The Latest