Why not more protection ?

ktmwoods
2/18/2018 11:45am
OK- as speeds increase, tracks get gnarlier, riding gets more aggressive, injuries get more serious, careers get shorter, why not more protective gear in SX and MX? The sight of Roczen in only a thin race jersey getting chewed up by a rear tire and a swingarm, etc makes me wonder why athletes in this sport do not invest more into protecting their bodies? NFL, Hockey, olympic ski racers, even NBA players have a lot more invested into specific body protection components so that they are not so beat up and theoretically can stay in the game / on the field and have longer careers. I get the weight tradeoff, but at the rate the significant injuries are decimating the field of riders, it might be smart to be better protected VS a 250 lb steel ‘meat grinder’ coming at you? With new-age materials and more science, you might add 1-2lbs of protection and survive a hit that might otherwise sideline you for an entire season. Sport is brutal enough without intentionally exposing yourself to more damage IMO.
|
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
2/18/2018 11:50am
Because riders like to feel comfortable.
2/18/2018 11:55am
Your profile pic fits this thread perfectly.
brimx153
2/18/2018 12:09pm
try invent something yourself, that works, you might find out its alot harder (impossible in some cases) than you think .to make something that works and still let s you move enough . it s not as much about comfort as it is about full flexibility , which you dont need in other sports
mx_563
2/18/2018 12:57pm
80s: Cotton jersey with Hallman full body armor, gloves with plastic molded finger protection and a gauntlet, kidney belt and single layer foam goggles.

Comfort? Ha!

I have zero compassion when I see these "jersey-only" fools all scraped up.

The Shop

jonesaustin
2/18/2018 1:10pm
Not sure if plastic or carbon coverage above the forearm and wrist area would do much in the case of Barcia, or Johnson in 90, but I'm sure someone's looking into it.
2/18/2018 1:15pm
When your pushing the limit every little bit helps. That extra bit of protection that might restrict movement or be less breathable could cost tenths of a second a lap.
ktmwoods
2/18/2018 1:18pm
WCRider wrote:
Oh ok...living to ride another day vs comfort....soooo... MotoGP guys and pro linebackers etc etc are wrong? heh heh whatever...
2/18/2018 1:21pm
Pretty sure Roczen wears a chest protector, not sure how that would protect his hand in a situation where it gets caught under a swingarm anyway, what piece of equipment would help that? We've had a few of these threads recently and the only answer seems to be that it's a dangerous sport and it's always going to be.
2/18/2018 1:35pm
I think the OP asks a legit question. I don't have an answer, but the question is legit. Think if they had stopped developing helmets with the Bell Moto 4. Helmet technology has come a long way since the 1980s.

I absolutely understand these guys want to be light and flexible - who doesn't? Perhaps it will take many more years for protection technology to catch up with the speed these modern MX machines are capable of propelling these guys, but there has to be a better way. I don't know what it is, but there has to be a better way.

Flip that coin and understand that we're a niche sport. If we were as big as the NFL, perhaps more companies, inventors, etc. would be involved in finding solutions. I really think that is key. In other words, if MX was huge, we'd have a lot more "brains" looking into protection technology. Just my 2 cents.
tempura
2/18/2018 2:58pm
In my opinion, there has to be rules in place that determines what areas of the body are protected.. Every rider has to wear it and get used to it. Companies will develop more to accommodate their riders. The pace of development will increase.
We need more companies in the sport that genuinely want to make us safer, and not just take our dollars.
Rule changes could help that push. The rule makers need to be convinced
ledger
2/18/2018 3:06pm
Would be interesting to know injury stats somehow, these guy's are getting eaten alive almost weekly. I love good hardcore racing and a bit of moto-drama but....DAYUM
Martini637
2/18/2018 3:16pm
tempura wrote:
In my opinion, there has to be rules in place that determines what areas of the body are protected.. Every rider has to wear it and...
In my opinion, there has to be rules in place that determines what areas of the body are protected.. Every rider has to wear it and get used to it. Companies will develop more to accommodate their riders. The pace of development will increase.
We need more companies in the sport that genuinely want to make us safer, and not just take our dollars.
i disagree about making it a rule to wear protection, i.e roost gaurds, wrist braces, and what not. If they dont want to wear it, then that is their decision and if they get hurt thats on them, you could recommend it but not force it.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
2/18/2018 3:19pm
tempura wrote:
In my opinion, there has to be rules in place that determines what areas of the body are protected.. Every rider has to wear it and...
You should read the rules regarding protective gear...they are comical. That being said, there are wrist braces, chest protectors, spine protection, etc available. It's up to the rider whether they want to wear it. How many Leatt braces do you see these days in SX? Last thought...Ryan Hughes recently posted on IG regarding what happened to him 5 yrs ago....a huge crash where he was able to tuck his head and let his shoulders absorb the impact because he wasn't wearing a Leatt type device. He broke his spine, but is still able to walk and all...had he been wearing a Leatt type device, He wouldn't have been able to tuck, and would likely have compressed his entire spine, and likely crushed his skull helmet and all. (he went headfirst into the face of a jump 5th gear....his words, not mine). In all probability he would be dead had he been wearing certain protective equipment. So I say let the rider decide.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
2/18/2018 3:22pm
The most common reason a lot of riders don't wear as much protective gear is the "cool" factor (or lack of), as well as some question whether it really helps in the case of a crash (neck braces, knee braces, and chest protectors). As far as comfort, I wear knee braces, SG12s, chest protector, neck brace, helmet, gloves, and padded compression shorts. I feel as if this equipment is just a part of my body - don't really notice it and feel kind of naked riding without it. The only protection I've ever worn that drove me nuts and I couldn't stand was some elbow pads (after I had a bad crash that sent me to the hospital for my right arm). After one time out, I ditched them and said I'd just deal with getting my arm hurt again versus trying to ride with those damn things. But I wear everything else and so does my son.

But the main reason more protection usually isn't worn is the lack of cool factor and getting the sponsors shown on the jersey.

You guys ever heard of a catcher in baseball not wearing a cup because they're uncomfortable? Lol Stupid is stupid.
make1go
2/18/2018 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 3:35pm
Clipped a tree and lawndarted hard, hit the ground right on the piont of my shoulder, without shoulder protection i wouldnt be able to type this message. 42 yrs of crashing always with shoulder and chest protection + all other stuff is all i need as proof...

KR won plenty with specially made protection...geuss SX requires more freedom of movement and comes with extra dangers.
And we see the results..

Feld would probably be happy if they rode topless to attract more female viewers.

Although i like fashion, ive often thought mx is to fashion driven in many areas
2/18/2018 3:44pm
This is out there but i was thinking to have mechanism that is like a air bag built into a jersey so it activates if the rider comes off the bike
Cortami79
2/18/2018 3:48pm
In my opinion, the AMA should require to wear chest and back protection. They do it in the GP’s for a few years now. I remember Tixier getting a penalty at Thailand few years ago because he didn’t wear one. Neckbraces, kidney belts and knee braces should be for the rider. But protecting your vital organs should me required. Personally, i always wear knee caps, a kidney belt (mostly because of the extra support for my weak lower back) and a chest/back protector UFO reactor 2 or my fox proframe. I have never been bothered wearing one.. I tried all neck braces but they restrict my movement too much
APLMAN99
2/18/2018 5:28pm
WCRider wrote:
ktmwoods wrote:
Oh ok...living to ride another day vs comfort....soooo... MotoGP guys and pro linebackers etc etc are wrong? heh heh whatever...
It's not comfort in the sense that you seem to be thinking. It's comfort with being able to perform athletically and not be hindered that 2-3% that takes you from competing for wins to competing to make main events.

Most of the top guys are going to shed as much extra as they can if they think it'll allow them to perform just a little bit better.
brimx153
2/18/2018 6:16pm
Pretty sure Roczen wears a chest protector, not sure how that would protect his hand in a situation where it gets caught under a swingarm anyway...
Pretty sure Roczen wears a chest protector, not sure how that would protect his hand in a situation where it gets caught under a swingarm anyway, what piece of equipment would help that? We've had a few of these threads recently and the only answer seems to be that it's a dangerous sport and it's always going to be.
x2 , and so does tomac and marv and loads ohers ,yet we get stupid threads every time a rider get s injured . people need to go look at the range of motion , anderson uses when riding , it is impossible , to protect certain areas of he body without restricting movement to much

i agree, it's a dangerous sport and it's always going to be.
Bermworm
2/18/2018 6:17pm
mx_563 wrote:
80s: Cotton jersey with Hallman full body armor, gloves with plastic molded finger protection and a gauntlet, kidney belt and single layer foam goggles. Comfort? Ha...
80s: Cotton jersey with Hallman full body armor, gloves with plastic molded finger protection and a gauntlet, kidney belt and single layer foam goggles.

Comfort? Ha!

I have zero compassion when I see these "jersey-only" fools all scraped up.
Dress for the crash not the ride...
YamahaJT1
2/18/2018 7:11pm
Bermworm wrote:
Dress for the crash not the ride...
Nice and nailed it.
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
2/19/2018 8:07am
WCRider wrote:
ktmwoods wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
It's not comfort in the sense that you seem to be thinking. It's comfort with being able to perform athletically and not be hindered that 2-3%...
It's not comfort in the sense that you seem to be thinking. It's comfort with being able to perform athletically and not be hindered that 2-3% that takes you from competing for wins to competing to make main events.

Most of the top guys are going to shed as much extra as they can if they think it'll allow them to perform just a little bit better.
Exactly.
mxman
2/19/2018 8:22am
If the sport is indeed dying due to the costs than who's going to put in a bunch of money for R&D on better protection ??

Plus the risk Vs. reward in MX is ridiculous.
bball35
2/19/2018 9:42am
It seems that most of the 450 riders are wearing chest protectors under their jerseys this year.
WeaverMX
2/19/2018 9:44am
The simple answer is this.. You are required to wear helmet - Boots - MX Style gear.. that is it.. The riders make the choice and its the riders that should have the say in what they wear.. You can not plastic coat everything in life, remove all sharp edges.. There is a lot of safety equipment that can be run but they choose not to.. It not all fashion and if you look at Roczens Jersey he has a chest protector front and back on..

Barcia's issue well he should of jumped the triple.. But nothing other then a steal glove would of saved him from that..

Lets just let the racers be racers.. They are fine..
SlS257
2/19/2018 9:59am
I just picture the kid in A christmas story wearing that snow suite. Arms out can't move.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
2/19/2018 10:08am
ktmwoods wrote:
OK- as speeds increase, tracks get gnarlier, riding gets more aggressive, injuries get more serious, careers get shorter, why not more protective gear in SX and...
OK- as speeds increase, tracks get gnarlier, riding gets more aggressive, injuries get more serious, careers get shorter, why not more protective gear in SX and MX? The sight of Roczen in only a thin race jersey getting chewed up by a rear tire and a swingarm, etc makes me wonder why athletes in this sport do not invest more into protecting their bodies? NFL, Hockey, olympic ski racers, even NBA players have a lot more invested into specific body protection components so that they are not so beat up and theoretically can stay in the game / on the field and have longer careers. I get the weight tradeoff, but at the rate the significant injuries are decimating the field of riders, it might be smart to be better protected VS a 250 lb steel ‘meat grinder’ coming at you? With new-age materials and more science, you might add 1-2lbs of protection and survive a hit that might otherwise sideline you for an entire season. Sport is brutal enough without intentionally exposing yourself to more damage IMO.
It’s pretty simple really. You are dealing with a sport of uneducated riders who put “comfort/looks” ahead of protection. When I saw Davalos have his neck and head squished last weekend it made me cringe.

The promoting body needs to implement safety standards to suit their business and not to accommodate riders comfort. You show up to the line without the proper attire then u go back to the pits. Any other professional Motorsport has safety guidelines set up by the braintrust and not the riders/drivers

Post a reply to: Why not more protection ?

The Latest