Why not Matt Goerke MX3 @ MXON for USA.?

Danster
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 8:32am
Cole Seely would race MX1 rather then a unproven Thomas Covington on a 450.
MX2 is a given with Ozzy

If one of the three riders gets hurt, who's the backup..?

|
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
8/18/2017 12:59am
Yeah bro, Gorke, Chrisholm and Tedder FTW... (passes doobie to the left)
downard254
8/18/2017 3:40am
Well, I know my reasons for not choosing Matt. And yes, Thomas is unproven on a 450, but so was some young kid named Ryan Dungey. Also, Covington has GP experience, and has proven he has speed to win, plus knows the track. Now, how about your list of reasons Matt should be chosen to go over every other rider who is still available.
8/18/2017 3:58am
downard254 wrote:
Well, I know my reasons for not choosing Matt. And yes, Thomas is unproven on a 450, but so was some young kid named Ryan Dungey...
Well, I know my reasons for not choosing Matt. And yes, Thomas is unproven on a 450, but so was some young kid named Ryan Dungey. Also, Covington has GP experience, and has proven he has speed to win, plus knows the track. Now, how about your list of reasons Matt should be chosen to go over every other rider who is still available.
Some young kid named Ryan Dungey had just won a 250 national championship.. not flapped around the top 10 inconsistently all year.
What a stupid comment..
What's done is done, let's hope Thomas can get a 7th in a moto and his other score will be the teams throw away.
Osborne probably a 3-3, Seely 5-6 ???
Not going to win with those scores- podium maybe.

The Shop

8/18/2017 3:59am
Danster wrote:
Cole Seely would race MX1 rather then a unproven Thomas Covington on a 450. MX2 is a given with Ozzy If one of the three riders...
MX2 is a given with Ozzy

I think Goerke would of been a better pick than TC. He's solid
whammy
8/18/2017 4:02am
Goerke would have been good a few years good choice when it was held at Lommel. IMO, deep sand is his best surface.

Not sure I would opt for him on a somewhat hard pack track.

Motofinne
8/18/2017 4:05am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 4:12am
Mike Alessi was barely in the top 20 at the Matterly Basin GP 1 or 2 years ago. I would say that Goerke is at that level.
struth
8/18/2017 4:06am
downard254 wrote:
Well, I know my reasons for not choosing Matt. And yes, Thomas is unproven on a 450, but so was some young kid named Ryan Dungey...
Some young kid named Ryan Dungey had just won a 250 national championship.. not flapped around the top 10 inconsistently all year. What a stupid comment...
Some young kid named Ryan Dungey had just won a 250 national championship.. not flapped around the top 10 inconsistently all year.
What a stupid comment..
What's done is done, let's hope Thomas can get a 7th in a moto and his other score will be the teams throw away.
Osborne could win a moto ...
Covington has 3or so single moto wins,
I think Covington will outscore seely...
Flip109
8/18/2017 4:18am
I kinda wanted Covington on the team last year. He's had some good results and is used to racing those guys. He's in the trenches over there. He can also give pointers on how the track will develope and set up. Seems like a good situation to me. I hope he does well.
Jt$
8/18/2017 4:59am
Motofinne wrote:
Mike Alessi was barely in the top 20 at the Matterly Basin GP 1 or 2 years ago. I would say that Goerke is at that...
Mike Alessi was barely in the top 20 at the Matterly Basin GP 1 or 2 years ago. I would say that Goerke is at that level.
This is a bit over the top
Motofinne
8/18/2017 5:02am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 5:05am
Motofinne wrote:
Mike Alessi was barely in the top 20 at the Matterly Basin GP 1 or 2 years ago. I would say that Goerke is at that...
Jt$ wrote:
This is a bit over the top
You think 2017 Goerke is better than 2015 Alessi?

Although Alessis GP performances were weird. Maybe not the best sample to compare riders.
c0ncEpT
8/18/2017 6:14am
Motofinne wrote:
I kind of agree. The Canadian nats aren't very strong IMO. Millsaps cleaned up the field last year and he would be a 5th-10th place guy these days outdoors in the AMA or GP's.
Swann
8/18/2017 6:23am
Why not Mike Alessi?

#believethehype
SwingHard
8/18/2017 6:32am
Danster wrote:
Cole Seely would race MX1 rather then a unproven Thomas Covington on a 450. MX2 is a given with Ozzy If one of the three riders...
MX2 is a given with Ozzy

I brought this up a couple of weeks ago. Its a valid question.
SwingHard
8/18/2017 6:40am
Motofinne wrote:
c0ncEpT wrote:
I kind of agree. The Canadian nats aren't very strong IMO. Millsaps cleaned up the field last year and he would be a 5th-10th place guy...
I kind of agree. The Canadian nats aren't very strong IMO. Millsaps cleaned up the field last year and he would be a 5th-10th place guy these days outdoors in the AMA or GP's.
With everybody healthy,whats Seelys avg.finish? Im to lazy to look it up! Would Covington be top 5 -10 in the 450 Nats?
Sodipop
8/18/2017 6:44am
I have a hunch that this season in particular the Canadian guys would be very competitive in the nationals. I would really like to see Goerke or Pourcel race one of the last two. I read Pourcel was in for the GP
agn5009
8/18/2017 6:47am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 6:59am
downard254 wrote:
Some young kid named Ryan Dungey had just won a 250 national championship.. not flapped around the top 10 inconsistently all year. What a stupid comment...
What a stupid comment..
You don't know much about the MXDN do You? Those scores could definitely win as long as Covington had one moto in the top 10 range too. France won last year with the following moto scores: 1, 3, 4, 10, 11 and 14.

Netherlands (2nd) had the following scores: 1, 2, 6, 7, 14, 20.

USA (3rd): 1, 4, 9, 9, 10, DNS.

You don't think, with a couple top 3s, top 5s and a top 10 can win this thing? Here, since you obviously don't know how this works I'll break it down for you.

Drop France's lowest score from last year, add them up and it's 29 points scored.

You're guessing Zach has 3-3 finishes, Cole 5-6 finishes and Thomas 7th-? Finish. If USA finishes with the above listed scores, that's 24 points. I would say that amount of points could definitely win the overall.

Back on the subject of Matt Goerke.... Seriously? The guy won the Canadian nationals. He would sniff the top 10 at Southwick but that's about it. He's a great rider but there's a reason he's in Canada racing and not the AMA or MXGP series. I am amazed that anyone would even consider sending him over Bogle, Peick, Bloss, etc.

I could have understood him being selected for Peurto Rico.
bvm111
8/18/2017 6:59am
I trust RDs judgment of talent more than yours.... just sayin Wink
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
8/18/2017 7:02am
agn5009 wrote:
You don't know much about the MXDN do You? Those scores could definitely win as long as Covington had one moto in the top 10 range...
You don't know much about the MXDN do You? Those scores could definitely win as long as Covington had one moto in the top 10 range too. France won last year with the following moto scores: 1, 3, 4, 10, 11 and 14.

You don't think, with a couple top 3s, top 5s and a top 10 can win this thing? Here, since you obviously don't know how this works I'll break it down for you.

Drop France's lowest score from last year, add them up and it's 29 points scored.

You're guessing Zach has 3-3 finishes, Cole 5-6 finishes and Thomas 7th-? Finish. If USA finishes with the above listed scores, that's 24 points. I would say that amount of points could definitely win the overall.

Back on the subject of Matt Goerke.... Seriously? The guy won the Canadian nationals. He would sniff the top 10 at Southwick but that's about it. He's a great rider but there's a reason he's in Canada racing and not the AMA or MXGP series. I am amazed that anyone would even consider sending him over Bogle, Peick, Bloss, etc.

He would do a hell of a lot better then sniff the top 10 at southwick espically in this field. Give credit where it's due. Don't want him on the team but he is fast in the sand.
Jt$
8/18/2017 7:03am
Motofinne wrote:
You think 2017 Goerke is better than 2015 Alessi?

Although Alessis GP performances were weird. Maybe not the best sample to compare riders.
You're comparing different riders in different years at different events on different bikes etc.. That's an endless wormhole. For instance, Cooper Webb beat Herlings on a 250 in Charlotte last year so he should be able to beat Herlings on a 450 at Matterley, right? Way too many variables to make comparisons like that.
agn5009
8/18/2017 7:07am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 7:22am
Motofinne wrote:
c0ncEpT wrote:
I kind of agree. The Canadian nats aren't very strong IMO. Millsaps cleaned up the field last year and he would be a 5th-10th place guy...
SwingHard wrote:
With everybody healthy,whats Seelys avg.finish? Im to lazy to look it up! Would Covington be top 5 -10 in the 450 Nats?
No he wouldnt. But he can be top 10 in the open class since most of the top 10 GP regulars will be in the MX1 class (minus Herlings, Febvre and Van Horebeek)

Basically Febvre, Herlings, Van Horebeek, Seewer, Wilson, Gibbs, Medaglia, Prado Garcia, Senayai and Covington should all be fighting for the top 10 in the open class. The rest of the guys in open will be getting lapped by lap 4. And yes, I know they combine races. But be the top finisher in your classification then you have a great chance of winning.
agn5009
8/18/2017 7:11am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2017 7:15am
agn5009 wrote:
You don't know much about the MXDN do You? Those scores could definitely win as long as Covington had one moto in the top 10 range...

Park Boys wrote:
He would do a hell of a lot better then sniff the top 10 at southwick espically in this field. Give credit where it's due. Don't...
He would do a hell of a lot better then sniff the top 10 at southwick espically in this field. Give credit where it's due. Don't want him on the team but he is fast in the sand.
Maybe. Maybe not. In a healthy 450 field consisting of Tomac, Roczen, Musquin, Barcia, Anderson, Baggett, Millsaps, etc I stand by my comment. He would sniff the top 10. Maybe break into the top 10 with some other rider misfortune.

But yes, in this field, AT SOUTHWICK, he could be top 10.
8/18/2017 7:18am
Covinton is there because Husky will support him....Bottom line...

Like someone else said, lets hope he puts 1 moto together and his other is the throwaway!
agn5009
8/18/2017 7:27am
Covinton is there because Husky will support him....Bottom line...

Like someone else said, lets hope he puts 1 moto together and his other is the throwaway!
I don't think Covington will be the one to use the throw away. I think it will be Seely. I can see Covington run top 5 in his classification.

Seely will be going up against Paulin, Coldenoff, Cairoli, Tonus, Antsie, Ferris, Bobryshev, Faccioti, Butron, Desalle, Gajser and Jasikonis (last 2 are maybes) every single moto. I think he can do it and run top 5 in his classification but it will be much harder than Covington doing it in the open class.
8/18/2017 7:28am
this allll should have been a non issue and Honda should have just sacked up and provided the coin to take J Mart on the 450, what a shitty move on their part and really disappointing
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
8/18/2017 8:03am
agn5009 wrote:
No he wouldnt. But he can be top 10 in the open class since most of the top 10 GP regulars will be in the MX1...
No he wouldnt. But he can be top 10 in the open class since most of the top 10 GP regulars will be in the MX1 class (minus Herlings, Febvre and Van Horebeek)

Basically Febvre, Herlings, Van Horebeek, Seewer, Wilson, Gibbs, Medaglia, Prado Garcia, Senayai and Covington should all be fighting for the top 10 in the open class. The rest of the guys in open will be getting lapped by lap 4. And yes, I know they combine races. But be the top finisher in your classification then you have a great chance of winning.
Open isn't that much easier than MXGP usually.
This year neither.
APLMAN99
8/18/2017 8:12am
Motofinne wrote:
So similar to Dean Ferris and Glen Coldenhoff?
aroark247
8/18/2017 8:32am
I believe in Thomas Covington. He's gone from an amateur to a world class 250 contender in 4 years. He has GP wins (plural). And has consistently become a guy who could surprisingly win any given moto. He still crashes a lot though.

I have a feeling Covington being chosen also has something to do with the cheaper cost of fielding a european based racer.

Post a reply to: Why not Matt Goerke MX3 @ MXON for USA.?

The Latest