Why no status on Moreau?

aeffertz
2/17/2020 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2020 5:29pm
Matthes just said on the Pulp Show that he can’t confirm anything but has heard from the people around Brian that he has feeling throughout. So fingers crossed he makes a full recovery!
MXMattii
2/17/2020 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2020 5:35pm
This looks weird... A rider down on the ground, not making a attempt to stand up. We see they've talked with him before moving him, in the picture below. So they should've done a better job, not only the AStar crew but also the AMA (I've seen a AMA-Marshal in a few other pictures). Because when there is a rider without feeling in his legs you use the red flag.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
2/17/2020 5:39pm
jemcee wrote:
Yeah that picture of him sitting up actually makes me a little more hopeful cause if his injury level is C7 that means he shouldn't be...
Yeah that picture of him sitting up actually makes me a little more hopeful cause if his injury level is C7 that means he shouldn't be able to 'activate' his core so he shouldn't be able to be sitting up straight like that..
Unless they have him strapped up tight but they don't seem to..
Also, and this might be just a case by case thing but my neck was really fucken swollen like twice it's normal size and Brian's doesn't seem to be.. I'm clutching to things with hope here..
I'm just really sorry for him, it's really long, hard road

Again unless you are a trained emergency medic (there's gotta be a better name for them that I don't know) I don't think any of us are in a position to call the medical crew names.. These people are obviously trained to do the job, there's advances in this stuff all the time and maybe the big advantage to recovery is getting him to facility quicker rather than laying in the dirt for half an hour like I was..
I refuse to believe that any of the medical professionals have anything but the utmost care for the riders well being..
-MAVERICK- wrote:
To touch on your point, I too am hopeful at the situation and here's why. From my observation looking at the following photo (without seeing the...
To touch on your point, I too am hopeful at the situation and here's why.

From my observation looking at the following photo (without seeing the bottom half), Brian appears to be bearing weight.

The guy on the left supporting him appears way too relaxed. If Brian had "dead legs" the guy would be braced and giving it all he's got to try and keep him standing upright. The lady on the right isn't doing much either. If he was dead weight from the neck down, the lady would more than likely be supporting Brian behind the knees/thighs in order to help lift him up in the other paramedics arms.

I fucked up a transfer once, when I first got to the rehab after my injury and the guy that was there to help out with the transfer, had to give it everything he had to keep me from collapsing the floor.

Regardless, it's a serious issue and I hope that he makes a full recovery.
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/02/17/405096/s1200_2020_sx_tampa_sp_lbu_6.jpg[/img] "Bearing weight?" I don't think so. :-(

"Bearing weight?" I don't think so. :-(

I didn't say he was. I said it appears that he is.

Dans cette photo là, je peut voir que non, pas dû tout et puis c'est très dommage.

Je suis paralysé moi même, donc j'espère qu'il vas s'en sortir à 100%.

Pensées positives envoyées.
tingo
2/17/2020 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2020 5:56pm
So much outrage. So little information. Hope Brian makes a full recovery.

The Shop

2/17/2020 6:02pm
philG wrote:
I rad earlier on Twitter that someone who saw it said he was pinned under his bike and kicking his legs to get out ( like...
I rad earlier on Twitter that someone who saw it said he was pinned under his bike and kicking his legs to get out ( like Marv at Red Bud)… if that's the case the guys can be forgiven IMO, get the bike off the guy and get the guy off the track.. if he hadn't moved , like A Ray, or Benny Bloss in an earlier round, they would have reacted maybe differently..

These guys do a difficult and dangerous job, they need to be respected for that .

Lets hope he makes a good recovery.
That was Vince
philG wrote:
Ah ok, they sounded like the kind of guy that would have been able to tell a 250 rider from a 450 rider.. so if that...
Ah ok, they sounded like the kind of guy that would have been able to tell a 250 rider from a 450 rider.. so if that is bum info I will stand corrected .. the rest of it stands, I think they have been doing a decent job, I cant recall last time I screamed at the TV . And I would have.
Yeah look up tony alessi Instagram he put a video up of vinces crash
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
2/17/2020 6:27pm
aeffertz wrote:
Matthes just said on the Pulp Show that he can’t confirm anything but has heard from the people around Brian that he has feeling throughout. So...
Matthes just said on the Pulp Show that he can’t confirm anything but has heard from the people around Brian that he has feeling throughout. So fingers crossed he makes a full recovery!
God I hope this is true. I want this young man to live a long able bodied life.

The politics of all of this are very secondary and at this point what’s happened has happened. The speculation doesn’t change any of that.
cheers_22
2/17/2020 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2020 7:05pm
The lights would be a great idea because you could have spotters up high who can activate the lights on that section of the track when...
The lights would be a great idea because you could have spotters up high who can activate the lights on that section of the track when they see a downed rider in danger.

But this gets tricky as well when trying to incorporate it.

Definitely possible though and I think it's a good suggestion because how many times have you seen a downed rider lay there with no flaggers in sight, or flaggers who are just standing there doing nothing?
Wade221 wrote:
I need to go back and re-watch the moment, but there was part where a dude crashed in front of like three track crew/Alpinestars personnel, and...
I need to go back and re-watch the moment, but there was part where a dude crashed in front of like three track crew/Alpinestars personnel, and was pinned under his bike, and it seemed like they just stood there staring at him and then were playing “rock, paper,scissors” to decide who was getting him. Obviously, the last part is not true, but they just stood there looking, then all them moved, then no one could decide what to do.. felt like an eternity
DC wrote:
That was Vince Friese that was stuck under his bike. They may not have seen him at first because he was in that deep sand berm...
That was Vince Friese that was stuck under his bike. They may not have seen him at first because he was in that deep sand berm at the of the sand straight and there were Tuff Blocks on top of the berm. , I think Alex Ray crashed in pretty much near the same spot, but on the opposite side of the track, they were there immediately and they also order a red flag. This was when Alex was down...

When we're in the stands we look down on everything and see pretty much everything. When you're in the center of the track and bikes are going all around you, and it's very loud, it's not as easy to see everything. The Mobile Medics and the track crew are at every race and I think they almost always do a great job.

I'm glad Vince and Alex were both all right and I pray that Brian Moreau is too.

DC
Racer X
They clearly did not do a great job.

Poor kid getting drug off the track with no feeling in his legs... how stupid do you have to be to not immediately take more serious neck/back stabilization measures?
DC
2/17/2020 7:32pm
I said “almost always”

DC
Racer X
Zaugg
2/17/2020 8:04pm
Let's dial down the negativity, the speculation, and finger pointing.

Rumors and things written earlier in the thread are not facts. Far too many of you are recycling previously presented info and presenting as if it were the truth.

Society has unfortunately become a shoot first, ask questions later. How about we collect ourselves, gather some information, and then make an assessment?

We have a kid fighting for a chance to maybe walk again.

Beeby
2/17/2020 8:22pm
Nice to read that Marv and Mathilde are supporting him and particularly Mathilde being there with him in the hospital. Being from another country you have no idea how reassuring it would be to have people around you from your own. Marv and Mathilde strike me as good people.
Wade221
2/17/2020 8:22pm
DC wrote:
I said “almost always”

DC
Racer X
You did. I quoted you because you were referencing practice, and I was referring to the night show. No harm, no foul
2/17/2020 8:39pm
Modern medicine is basically witch craft at this point and it always has been. People expect miracles, but this kid face planted and went from 60 to zero in a matter of milliseconds. The human body can do amazing things and will protect itself if it knows that it is millimeters away from being paralyzed, but the latest research pretty much debunks the whole spinal backboard immobilization theory. Paramedics will still do it to this day even 10 years after the theory has been debunked, because that's how they always did it.

*From a grumpy ER nurse who can spot a cervical fracture walk-in from a mile away that will still have good outcomes even if it wasn't immobilized.
2/17/2020 10:25pm
Get well young master Moreau. You still have great things to accomplish in your lifetime!
SS109
2/18/2020 1:04am
FerCzD wrote:
I am no expert and don't know how to manage a situation like this, all I have is a question hoping someone can give me some...
I am no expert and don't know how to manage a situation like this, all I have is a question hoping someone can give me some feedback. In one picture he is sitting on the mule, can't tell if he is having support to carry his own weight (above waist). From someone I know, that had a spinal injury; after the incident he was not able to carry his weight (sitting). He was carried out on a stretcher.

Does anybody know that if you have trauma like in this case is normal to be able to carry your own weight?

Hoping for the best to Brian.
It depends on the severity of the trauma.

I broke C1, C7, and T1 and had a disc bulge between C5 and C6 from a head on collision with another rider (details here: Stay Safe and Keep Those Eyes Up!- read my followup post) I walked under my own power with no assistance, I rode out on the back of my buddy's bike on rough singletrack to meet the police SUV, then rode in the back of the police department SUV for two miles down a really rough dirt road, and then finally on to a stretcher, neck immobilization, and in to an ambulance. No one had a clue how injured I was at the time yet, even with all that followed the injury and three months in a neck brace, I have physically healed 100% and have no physical limitations. Now, the concussion recovery is a different story.

As to this situation, no one here was actually there at the accident scene and heard what was said, or knows what the medical crew was thinking, so let's cut the medical crew some slack until we know otherwise. Just pray and hope for Moreau to make a full and swift recovery!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/18/2020 1:09am
Modern medicine is basically witch craft at this point and it always has been. People expect miracles, but this kid face planted and went from 60...
Modern medicine is basically witch craft at this point and it always has been. People expect miracles, but this kid face planted and went from 60 to zero in a matter of milliseconds. The human body can do amazing things and will protect itself if it knows that it is millimeters away from being paralyzed, but the latest research pretty much debunks the whole spinal backboard immobilization theory. Paramedics will still do it to this day even 10 years after the theory has been debunked, because that's how they always did it.

*From a grumpy ER nurse who can spot a cervical fracture walk-in from a mile away that will still have good outcomes even if it wasn't immobilized.
You lost me at witchcraft.
roninho
2/18/2020 1:11am
GuyB wrote:
While there's no doubt that the handling of this particular situation doesn't look good, I also wasn't in on the inside of what they were dealing...
While there's no doubt that the handling of this particular situation doesn't look good, I also wasn't in on the inside of what they were dealing with.

That said, I do think we're much better off with the Alpinestars Mobile Medical crew being there every week than relying on local medical crews at every race.

In the meantime, let's keep our thoughts on a good recovery for Brian.
If i'm honest i am really interested to find out what made the medical team decide that this was the best way to go forward. Because just looking at the pictures i am absolutely shocked that he was moved like he was.
2/18/2020 2:41am
GuyB wrote:
While there's no doubt that the handling of this particular situation doesn't look good, I also wasn't in on the inside of what they were dealing...
While there's no doubt that the handling of this particular situation doesn't look good, I also wasn't in on the inside of what they were dealing with.

That said, I do think we're much better off with the Alpinestars Mobile Medical crew being there every week than relying on local medical crews at every race.

In the meantime, let's keep our thoughts on a good recovery for Brian.
roninho wrote:
If i'm honest i am really interested to find out what made the medical team decide that this was the best way to go forward. Because...
If i'm honest i am really interested to find out what made the medical team decide that this was the best way to go forward. Because just looking at the pictures i am absolutely shocked that he was moved like he was.
My thoughts exactly. Other than getting away from a fire or something like that, I don’t think anyone should be carried/dragged like that in any situation.
2/18/2020 4:21am
Hate to speculate but like someone else mentioned possibly the language barrier played a role and they misunderstood what Brian may have been saying?

I know next to nothing on the subject so I may be asking dumb questions but is it possible that initially Brian may have had feeling but as things began to swell it went away? Or maybe moving him the way they did could have caused the loss of feeling?

Wishing for a full and speedy recovery for Brian. What a nightmare of a situation.
USA
Fantasy
507th
2/18/2020 5:29am
Hate to speculate but like someone else mentioned possibly the language barrier played a role and they misunderstood what Brian may have been saying? I know...
Hate to speculate but like someone else mentioned possibly the language barrier played a role and they misunderstood what Brian may have been saying?

I know next to nothing on the subject so I may be asking dumb questions but is it possible that initially Brian may have had feeling but as things began to swell it went away? Or maybe moving him the way they did could have caused the loss of feeling?

Wishing for a full and speedy recovery for Brian. What a nightmare of a situation.
I hope for the best with Brian, this situation is always heart-wrenching.

I've been wondering the same thing. Was he possibly 'ok' when they got to him, but in a really dangerous spot on the track; and then as soon as they started moving him off of the track he lost feeling and screamed?
bents
Fantasy
909th
2/18/2020 5:40am
Zaugg wrote:
Let's dial down the negativity, the speculation, and finger pointing. Rumors and things written earlier in the thread are not facts. Far too many of you...
Let's dial down the negativity, the speculation, and finger pointing.

Rumors and things written earlier in the thread are not facts. Far too many of you are recycling previously presented info and presenting as if it were the truth.

Society has unfortunately become a shoot first, ask questions later. How about we collect ourselves, gather some information, and then make an assessment?

We have a kid fighting for a chance to maybe walk again.

Thank you.
Rdracer598
2/18/2020 7:04am
aeffertz wrote:
Matthes just said on the Pulp Show that he can’t confirm anything but has heard from the people around Brian that he has feeling throughout. So...
This is great news but I never lost feeling after my SCI (I fractured C 5-6). My dad came out on the track after I was on the stretcher and grabbed my feet. I could feel him grab them and move them but I couldn't do it myself. I did regain a little movement but not enough to stand or walk.

Not trying to bring down any hope. Just wanting to keep it real. SCI's are all different and I hope he makes a full recovery!

DC
2/18/2020 7:15am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 7:15am
There are local medics and the Mobile Medics at each race, in large part because the Mobile Medics aren't licensed to transport in every state. The Mobile Medics don't have an actual ambulance on the premises, just the mules that they use to tend to the riders. They know the sport, the space, the equipment, the athletes, the injuries... They have been invaluable to our riders over the last twenty or so years.

DC
Racer X
EngIceDave
2/18/2020 7:25am
aeffertz wrote:
Rdracer598 wrote:
This is great news but I never lost feeling after my SCI (I fractured C 5-6). My dad came out on the track after I was...
This is great news but I never lost feeling after my SCI (I fractured C 5-6). My dad came out on the track after I was on the stretcher and grabbed my feet. I could feel him grab them and move them but I couldn't do it myself. I did regain a little movement but not enough to stand or walk.

Not trying to bring down any hope. Just wanting to keep it real. SCI's are all different and I hope he makes a full recovery!

I remember that day, Steve
Natester551v
2/18/2020 8:00am
Modern medicine is basically witch craft at this point and it always has been. People expect miracles, but this kid face planted and went from 60...

GuyB wrote:
You lost me at witchcraft.
take out that first phrase (which I don't agree with, although there are a ton of unknowns in medicine), and the rest of his post is pretty spot-on. The Alpinestars crew did the best they could in a dynamic situation. They love these riders like family...
2/18/2020 8:05am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 8:58am
Hate to speculate but like someone else mentioned possibly the language barrier played a role and they misunderstood what Brian may have been saying? I know...

Here is the Vital intro interview with Guy B and Moreau (20:00). He seems quite functional in English (and that's prior to the last five months of immersion):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6HOvZNSOug
Rdracer598
2/18/2020 8:16am
aeffertz wrote:
Rdracer598 wrote:
This is great news but I never lost feeling after my SCI (I fractured C 5-6). My dad came out on the track after I was...

EngIceDave wrote:
15 years ago last Thursday Dave. Crazy
WW444
2/18/2020 8:19am
The lights would be a great idea because you could have spotters up high who can activate the lights on that section of the track when...
The lights would be a great idea because you could have spotters up high who can activate the lights on that section of the track when they see a downed rider in danger.

But this gets tricky as well when trying to incorporate it.

Definitely possible though and I think it's a good suggestion because how many times have you seen a downed rider lay there with no flaggers in sight, or flaggers who are just standing there doing nothing?
Wade221 wrote:
I need to go back and re-watch the moment, but there was part where a dude crashed in front of like three track crew/Alpinestars personnel, and...
I need to go back and re-watch the moment, but there was part where a dude crashed in front of like three track crew/Alpinestars personnel, and was pinned under his bike, and it seemed like they just stood there staring at him and then were playing “rock, paper,scissors” to decide who was getting him. Obviously, the last part is not true, but they just stood there looking, then all them moved, then no one could decide what to do.. felt like an eternity
DC wrote:
That was Vince Friese that was stuck under his bike. They may not have seen him at first because he was in that deep sand berm...
That was Vince Friese that was stuck under his bike. They may not have seen him at first because he was in that deep sand berm at the of the sand straight and there were Tuff Blocks on top of the berm. , I think Alex Ray crashed in pretty much near the same spot, but on the opposite side of the track, they were there immediately and they also order a red flag. This was when Alex was down...

When we're in the stands we look down on everything and see pretty much everything. When you're in the center of the track and bikes are going all around you, and it's very loud, it's not as easy to see everything. The Mobile Medics and the track crew are at every race and I think they almost always do a great job.

I'm glad Vince and Alex were both all right and I pray that Brian Moreau is too.

DC
Racer X
This has me wondering why this session was red flagged for ARays crash in the sand that did not seem to be very serious at all but Brian's wasn't? Obviously we don't have all the details on these situations but from what we all see it was not handled in the best manner.
EngIceDave
2/18/2020 8:20am
Really??
15 years??

Damn

I still can't believe Engine Ice is now 20 years in....
2/18/2020 8:24am
Rdracer598 wrote:

EngIceDave wrote:
Rdracer598 wrote:
15 years ago last Thursday Dave. Crazy
Just to clarify, you have feeling in your legs and feet but can’t move them?
EngIceDave
2/18/2020 8:31am
WW444 wrote:
This has me wondering why this session was red flagged for ARays crash in the sand that did not seem to be very serious at all...
This has me wondering why this session was red flagged for ARays crash in the sand that did not seem to be very serious at all but Brian's wasn't? Obviously we don't have all the details on these situations but from what we all see it was not handled in the best manner.
I didn't see Moreau's crash, but I did see ARay's and it was scary. He was laying on his back, waving his arms.....like a turtle on its back, like he couldn't move......the whole stadium went silent. It was a scary few minutes

Post a reply to: Why no status on Moreau?

The Latest