Why no big SX series in Europe?

TXDirt
Edited Date/Time 3/30/2018 5:57pm
If supercross is so popular and “makes so much money” and is where all the manufacturers want to be then why has no SX series been created or perhaps hasn’t been successful in Europe? I know they have some one off races like Bercy etc.

With FIM sanctioning the AMA SX series why has no SX series started in Europe?
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
3/27/2018 5:46pm
Germany has a SX series. I think Britain has one or used too.
TXDirt
3/27/2018 5:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 5:51pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Germany has a SX series. I think Britain has one or used too.
Yeah I was just thinking why is there no big series over there similar to the GP’s.

I’m an outdoor fan and couldn’t care less about SX. I’ll watch it but MX is where it’s at for me.

Just find it curious there is no major sanctioned SX series over there considering riders in the US and manufacturers in the US consider it so much important and lucrative compared to MX. Why is Europe opposite of that it seems. Especially when races like Bercy seem popular with fans.

If there were a big SX series, I could imagine a motocross des nation and perhaps someday a supercross des nations. Right?
MX Culture
3/27/2018 5:55pm
That will be the next step but you have to find a promoter willing to do it. Huge undertaking.
Feld has done it before.
They did some in 05 I believe. The cost of shipping everything over is astronomical.
I went to Switzerland in 01 with the Arenacross guys and my boy Hofmaster and had an amazing time.
Bercy is Arenacross style too. Tight.
Remember the one where it rained? Seville? Was it Hurley that did good I think?
The riders want it, I can tell you that.
USA
Fantasy
507th
3/27/2018 5:58pm
MX Culture wrote:
That will be the next step but you have to find a promoter willing to do it. Huge undertaking. Feld has done it before. They did...
That will be the next step but you have to find a promoter willing to do it. Huge undertaking.
Feld has done it before.
They did some in 05 I believe. The cost of shipping everything over is astronomical.
I went to Switzerland in 01 with the Arenacross guys and my boy Hofmaster and had an amazing time.
Oh yeah! I had forgotten all about that. I want to say it was in Geneva or Stockholm? But that’s probably wrong lol

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
3/27/2018 5:59pm
Might have to do with the GP's? They start early in the year. In the U.S. both series are split between summer and winter. Would be real difficult to ride two different disciplines at the same time for the guys in Europe.

I know the arena's are smaller and all but what takes place in those arena's during the winter months? Any sports? Just concerts? I have no idea.
TXDirt
3/27/2018 6:00pm
MX Culture wrote:
That will be the next step but you have to find a promoter willing to do it. Huge undertaking. Feld has done it before. They did...
Feld has done it before.
I wasn't really envisioning the US riders or even FELD necessarily being involved or going over or intermixing the two series. I was thinking it would be European riders participating. Basically the same guys who race the GP's. Why isn't there a SX series for them if it's supposedly so "lucrative" and so "important to the manufactures" and "so popular with the fans".

Sorry for all the air quotes.
MX Culture
3/27/2018 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 7:52pm
MX Culture wrote:
Feld has done it before.
TXDirt wrote:
I wasn't really envisioning the US riders or even FELD necessarily being involved or going over or intermixing the two series. I was thinking it would...
I wasn't really envisioning the US riders or even FELD necessarily being involved or going over or intermixing the two series. I was thinking it would be European riders participating. Basically the same guys who race the GP's. Why isn't there a SX series for them if it's supposedly so "lucrative" and so "important to the manufactures" and "so popular with the fans".

Sorry for all the air quotes.
I understand what you’re saying.
My answer would be start up costs, logistics, weather and a promoter willing to do so.
Feld has a trademark on the word “Supercross” also so its a bit of a gamble.
You will see more Feld SX overseas in the future.
When and how many is the question.
Guy B, your thoughts.....?
ruy
3/27/2018 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 7:08pm
MX Culture wrote:
Feld has done it before.
Sevilla, yes world sx championship I think was and one private Sx in Madrid other year rain a lot.

Is not a SX serie in Europe maybe because it rains more than in the places where the races are made in the USA, and the big European stadiums usually can not close the roof.

The rain has annoyed some important supercrosss, even in the south of Europe, as in Spain on at least two occasions and that can mean the ruin of the promoter.

The stadiums normally made by SX in Europe are small and with a closed roof.

Then they make dangerous circuits where sometimes riders are seriously injured with what there are teams that do not let their riders participate.

Then there is the issue that there are no supercross circuits to train and perhaps there are not because of the subject of more rain.

https://www.motorsport.com/bike/news/supercross-thq-world-supercross-gp…

http://racerxonline.com/2013/06/19/the-list-jts-best-stories

Hurley

Sevilla World Supercross: In 2002-2004, supercross went global. Two events would be held overseas during the winter. One of the events was held in the fall of 2003 in Sevilla, Spain. A beautiful city in southern Spain, Sevilla is supposed to have great weather that time of year, but unfortunately we didn’t see it. We landed on a Wednesday and from the time we landed until the time we flew out the following Tuesday, it never stopped raining. There was so much mud and water on the track, I honestly did not think a race was possible. I won the LCQ that night (shocker) and literally ghost rode my 450 across one of the ponds in the track. I did it every lap! There were riders down in the section every time I came to it so instead of crashing into the water and being stuck, I decided that launching my bike across it and running to the other side, picking up my bike and continuing was my best bet. While it’s not something I recommend, it worked out in that case and is something I will never forget.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photo-gallery/2004-supercross-west-rds/#

Langston
ruy
3/27/2018 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 7:07pm
Sevilla SX

3/27/2018 7:24pm
That's kinda like asking why oval-track racing isn't big in Europe. Because they know better.
Racer111
3/27/2018 7:27pm
MX Culture wrote:
Feld has done it before.
That’s was in 2004. I think Fonseca won the 1st race over there and then Hurley won the mudder. Probably the muddiest race I’ve ever seen. After that year, they moved them to Canada.
aeffertz
3/27/2018 7:38pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Might have to do with the GP's? They start early in the year. In the U.S. both series are split between summer and winter. Would be...
Might have to do with the GP's? They start early in the year. In the U.S. both series are split between summer and winter. Would be real difficult to ride two different disciplines at the same time for the guys in Europe.

I know the arena's are smaller and all but what takes place in those arena's during the winter months? Any sports? Just concerts? I have no idea.
That was my guess as well. The MXGP season is 7 months long by itself. Hard to schedule much a series in the remaining freetime between a healthy off season for the guys and then the following months prepping for the next season.

There just doesn't really seem to be time for it if you wanted the best guys from the GPs racing in the SX league.
3/27/2018 10:17pm
There's no time for it. The riders also have to ride their National championships and in the winter they need to prepare for the mxgp season. Also I don't think most top riders would be interested to participate.
roninho
3/27/2018 10:54pm
It doesnt help that its fragmented: Series in france, the Uk and Germany as well as some one offs like Bercy and Geneva. Means talent is split and date clashes.
If you take the biggest events from the series and one offs and merge that in an 8 race serie you actually have a pretty decent base to start from. Wont happen though because all promoters have to give up control and a bunch of their events.
Bearuno
3/27/2018 10:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 10:58pm
That's kinda like asking why oval-track racing isn't big in Europe. Because they know better.
That's a Good one!

They (Europe / Britain / Australia and others) have their various (in some cases, long standing) SX / Arena X series', and big one - off events. Those, combined with the broadcasting / streaming of the US SX 'World Championships', well - it's probably as much SX as the sport can stand. And there's soon to be more of Felds' events, I'm sure.

I've followed SX since the first LA event, pay for, the (unfortunately often piss poor) SX stream, pay for the US Outdoors, and pay for the GPs. I love the Sport, overall. The one of those 3 I watch in precedence, is the GPs. I tend to just play catch up on SX during the week when the GPs start, and the same with the US Outdoors. It's just what I hold more dear - The World Motocross Championships.

It would be good to see Feld try to have a couple of events of their FIM World SX Championships overseas - hell, even if it's just to Hawaii, but .you'd still, largely, have the usual riders doing them. I'd never expect GP riders to risk themselves in the Circus that is SX, when they have a Job to do, in the World Championships Of Motocross.

3/27/2018 10:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 11:00pm
France use to have a great series and produced riders that would dominate in America in their first race. Maybe the federation realized they were losing their top talent by teaching them SX??
Doddy
3/27/2018 11:02pm
/Thread
B DUB 333
3/27/2018 11:18pm
Because their bag is soccer baby. Ain't gonna use the soccer stadium for sx. Even though that'd be a great venue. Actually surprised Lou Bongo hasn't tried something, he could charge the riders twice as much to make him rich risking it all
RG1
3/27/2018 11:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 11:29pm
All the stadiums big enough to host a proper SX are used for football from August-May. So it's a non-starter really. Add to that the fact that the weather is crap over the winter in Europe and most stadiums are open roofed, it just wouldn't work.

To be honest, I'm glad we don't have a big SX series. I'm getting increasingly bored and frustrated by the SX in the US. For me it's just a time filler until the GP's and then the Nationals start
DoubleA
3/28/2018 3:16am
French SX Championship, German SX Championship, European SX Championship, UK AX Championship but for sure thery aren't big mainly because no one over here really wants to ride SX if you want to ride SX you just go to America, there isn't actually alot of public places to train for SX in Europe.
philG
3/28/2018 4:08am
there isn't time or room in the European Calendar to do it, or enough covered stadiums in the right places to allow it to happen. There are the traditional euro SX events like Bercy, Geneva and a couple of others, plus the French and German series, that is enough to satisfy rider and spectator demand.
Beeby
3/28/2018 5:10am
Americans seem disillusioned by supercross and it doesn’t look like attendance at the races is very high either so I doubt there would be any appetite to launch it elsewhere.

Plus as others have said, the stadiums are used for football/soccer pretty much solidly
CoccoBill
3/28/2018 6:40am
I would say that there's some difference in how people enjoy their free time here and there oversea.
You have very big "shows" which people attend just one time and then never again and this is more than enough to fill a stadium at every event. I would say that probably 80% of the people at a SX event doesn't even know who those guys are, but most of the seats are filled and the organizers make big money out of that anyway.
You're even able to make money out of events like monster trucks, which could work maybe one time here, but not for an entire season, every year. It would be a complete failure here in Europe.
My idea is that you could fill a stadium with whatever kind of "circus" you can think of, and SX is just that, a "circus".
I see families at your SX races, a whole lot of kids of any age, and this means money is coming to the organizers on a regular basis. Here, even at Bercy, which is the most famous and bigger SX, almost all the people attending is a MX enthusiast and you don't see a single kid. This, in my opinion, means that only a single event could work, not an entire series.
And think about it, you do a lot of different things that we don't fully understand, like racing cars in oval tracks or trying to hit a ball with a stick and running around the field.
Then there's the stadiums problem, all of them are used for football, and I hate football, we have definitely too much football here.
TDeath21
3/28/2018 11:59pm
Others have hit the nail on the head.

GPs start in February.

Very few close roofed stadiums.

European climate doesn’t allow for outdoor stadiums to be utilized.

Climate in the US allows for certain outdoor stadiums to be used 365 days per year. On top of that, we have several domes that can hold events.
philG
3/29/2018 12:05am
Beeby wrote:
Americans seem disillusioned by supercross and it doesn’t look like attendance at the races is very high either so I doubt there would be any appetite...
Americans seem disillusioned by supercross and it doesn’t look like attendance at the races is very high either so I doubt there would be any appetite to launch it elsewhere.

Plus as others have said, the stadiums are used for football/soccer pretty much solidly
The American football season is ridiculously short , and has around 20 games, half of which are on the road, the money that gets pumped into these stadiums is just insane, and then the teams up and leave because someone else offers to build them a better stadium elsewhere.

The novelty of SX is gone, the tracks need changing to allow racing , as it is now its almost a case of synchronised performance.
kb228
3/29/2018 1:13am
Europeans just arent as bad ass as the americans to have an sx season.
Turbojez
3/29/2018 2:50am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2018 2:52am
No places to practice, real winters, which leave us with roofed stadiums, but those are too small. European supercross series resembles American Arenacross, as our stadiums are WAY smaller, than the (Baseball?) stadiums in US.
kb228
3/29/2018 2:57am
Turbojez wrote:
No places to practice, real winters, which leave us with roofed stadiums, but those are too small. European supercross series resembles American Arenacross, as our stadiums...
No places to practice, real winters, which leave us with roofed stadiums, but those are too small. European supercross series resembles American Arenacross, as our stadiums are WAY smaller, than the (Baseball?) stadiums in US.
Isnt spain, southern france, and italy like california in the us?

Post a reply to: Why no big SX series in Europe?

The Latest