Why motocross stays small

yruu
Edited Date/Time 7/9/2015 11:21am
What I’m bringing up here isn’t on most enthusiasts’ radar but I think it should be.
The recent closing down of Chad Reeds Two Two team makes a huge statement as to why the sport you love and spend your hard earned money on is designed to keep it small. This sport needs privateer racers to exist “not kind of it needs them” Yet for the most part with the exception of well-funded satellite teams it treats them like red headed step children, under the grass roots BS that’s what real moto is all about “don’t piss on my head and tell me it’s raining”
As long as just a few entities control all the money streams for everyone the scale is going to stay tipped in their favor. Allow teams and riders who make a name for themselves to get their own sponsor money into the sport and you’ll see it grow bigger every year. Who agrees or disagrees I think it’s worth talking about.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/8/2015 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2015 8:20pm
I don't understand your thesis.... Riders should bring in their own sponsors into the sport to generate revenue? Like the Blue Buffalo team has done? Like Two Two had done with Discount tire? Like Barn Pros Yamaha? I think you're trying to link a 30th place guy to a sponsor like Dungey and Target..... not going to happen Jack. If his mug isn't on the TV 1/5 of the broadcast what incentive is there to invest in that rider??

And remember, commas are your friend. It can make the difference between "Helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse" and "Helping your Uncle jack off a horse"......
kiwifan
7/8/2015 8:21pm
Not sure if the Two Two analogy is a good one in some ways, sure the guy formed his own team (and deserves a ton of credit for that) but some of those years was using a factory bike not a privateer one, and Two Two's public muck up around 360 sponsorship loss of $500k income should of never happened, you cant bring sponsors in if there are already other agreements with other sponsors in place for a series you have entered into.

This whole privateer thing has been around for years and years and years, and some riders have done well (Ricky Ryan, Reedy, and I am sure there are a ton of others that I cant remember) and others not so well. They are always going to struggle against a team that has more funding. And if privateers suddenly get sponsorships worth big bucks then they become a team and less a privateer...*shrugs*
Moto810
7/8/2015 8:27pm
Maybe you could had worded it better? I think he might be talking about the problems within the industry that keeps money from flowing into the sport. Things such as how teams can not sell shirts or hats or anything in the pits. Some sponsors are not allowed within the sport. For instance since Toyota sponsors Supercross no team is allowed to have any other cars or trucks in the pits even if it is their sponsor. This also goes for most everything else. How is it that MotoTees gets to sell all of the merchandise at all AMA motocross and Supercross races? Connected maybe? There are so many problems with the sport it has caused a bunch of problems. When the energy drinks leave the sport might have trouble getting fresh money.

The Shop

kiwifan
7/8/2015 8:30pm
Moto810 wrote:
Maybe you could had worded it better? I think he might be talking about the problems within the industry that keeps money from flowing into the...
Maybe you could had worded it better? I think he might be talking about the problems within the industry that keeps money from flowing into the sport. Things such as how teams can not sell shirts or hats or anything in the pits. Some sponsors are not allowed within the sport. For instance since Toyota sponsors Supercross no team is allowed to have any other cars or trucks in the pits even if it is their sponsor. This also goes for most everything else. How is it that MotoTees gets to sell all of the merchandise at all AMA motocross and Supercross races? Connected maybe? There are so many problems with the sport it has caused a bunch of problems. When the energy drinks leave the sport might have trouble getting fresh money.
Because the AMA SX and MX series have major sponsors that pump a lot of money into the sport so that the races could be held, if you stop that, you stop broadcasting, you stop racing from happening, you stop factory teams from entering, you kill the sport.....
brimx153
7/8/2015 9:54pm
I think the biggest problem is people seem to think that the sport will ever be able to pay the privaters well , I just don't see it as realistic. Compare mx to f1 , to moto gp , there s only 20 guys in the world there . I love the fact the privateyers are out there , cause imo that makes moto great , a guy on a stock bike can put it in the top 10 realisticly. In some way I am surprised moto is not gone like f1, I think that's the way its going in mxgp( which I hate) there small gate of full factory riders . My point is if no privateyers turned up at a1 , I really dought the AMA or the people who your trying to grow sport to , would care , the tv don't really care about any guy outside the top 20.neither any new fan to the sport, It's only the propper moto guys who do care .if the sport got really big. It would help the top guy s , and imo might even get rid of all privateyers . And it would be like motogp ,who have massive tv viewers from people that have never rode a bike ever ,
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
7/8/2015 10:01pm
We should be more concerned with growing the sport at the amateur level and recreationally in my opinion.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
7/8/2015 10:18pm
Couldn't get sponsor money from a camera company due to something already set up black n white...lets move on.
Moto810
7/8/2015 11:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2015 11:21pm
Teams need to make money. No money No teams! Teams are a business and pro riders are a business. Motocross needs to open up so that all sponsors are welcome. Sure it is fine to have rules for media rights. Forcing all fans to only buy T-shirts from one company does not help anyone other than that one company. The fans get cheap shirts at high prices. If anyone thinks the sport is in a great spot then they are not paying attention to any of the signs. It is shrinking because of the actions and non actions within the industry. I am tired of hearing it is the economy! It is not. If the business side of the sport is not bad enough maybe I should point out the safety issues? Not once have I ever heard from the AMA, Feld, or Mx Sports about how the deaths and injuries within the sport lately is hurting everything. Nascar came out the morning after the big crash in Daytona and clearly said they need to learn from this crash to figure out what they did wrong so they can learn from it. That never happens in motocross.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
7/8/2015 11:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2015 12:05am
731chopper wrote:
We should be more concerned with growing the sport at the amateur level and recreationally in my opinion.
This.^^ (Convert some of the booming mntn bike market)

Also IMO:

MXGP is a SHOW, because anyone that can afford to race all the rounds would get a placing & the tracks are so un-augmented / unpredictable / un-trainable that a lot of the field get injured.

SX is a SHOW because only the first half of the field can afford proper facilities & proper testing / bike setup to even be competitive.

AMA MX is a RACE because the playing field is about as level as it can be compared to the other 2.

A lot of privateers from countries like Australia, New Zealand, Sweden etc etc have a nudge at the AMA Outdoors, they would not be able to race mxgp or sx because of the constraints mentioned above.
mmcmx
7/9/2015 12:42am
I like it small.
Pryda
7/9/2015 12:57am
Motocross is expensive. If you cant afford it, then deal with it and go do something else.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
7/9/2015 2:12am
brimx153 wrote:
I think the biggest problem is people seem to think that the sport will ever be able to pay the privaters well , I just don't...
I think the biggest problem is people seem to think that the sport will ever be able to pay the privaters well , I just don't see it as realistic. Compare mx to f1 , to moto gp , there s only 20 guys in the world there . I love the fact the privateyers are out there , cause imo that makes moto great , a guy on a stock bike can put it in the top 10 realisticly. In some way I am surprised moto is not gone like f1, I think that's the way its going in mxgp( which I hate) there small gate of full factory riders . My point is if no privateyers turned up at a1 , I really dought the AMA or the people who your trying to grow sport to , would care , the tv don't really care about any guy outside the top 20.neither any new fan to the sport, It's only the propper moto guys who do care .if the sport got really big. It would help the top guy s , and imo might even get rid of all privateyers . And it would be like motogp ,who have massive tv viewers from people that have never rode a bike ever ,
Sure if those privateers don't rock up to A1 no biggie, the gates are full with Factory riders. Looks at the results sheets from mid season though. Those privateers like the Seven Deuce Deuce don't roll up you have 12-15 riders on the gate for the entire night show.

No heats, no semi's, no LCQ required, that should keep the fans coming in and the television coverage solid!
Zracer
7/9/2015 2:14am
brimx153 wrote:
I think the biggest problem is people seem to think that the sport will ever be able to pay the privaters well , I just don't...
aaryn #234 wrote:
Sure if those privateers don't rock up to A1 no biggie, the gates are full with Factory riders. Looks at the results sheets from mid season...
Sure if those privateers don't rock up to A1 no biggie, the gates are full with Factory riders. Looks at the results sheets from mid season though. Those privateers like the Seven Deuce Deuce don't roll up you have 12-15 riders on the gate for the entire night show.

No heats, no semi's, no LCQ required, that should keep the fans coming in and the television coverage solid!
Tv people would love it if they only had the mains and could make it a 1 hour show.
bobojim
7/9/2015 2:41am
The sport can't grow beyond it's fan base. What caps this?
Top 2 reasons IMHO:
1. Its dangerous (relative to many sports)
2. Its expensive (relative to many sports)
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
7/9/2015 3:04am
Zracer wrote:
Tv people would love it if they only had the mains and could make it a 1 hour show.
You could be right, but one main = 20 minutes, though I guess with one 250 Main of 15 minutes, 20 min 450 main, leaving 25 minutes for commercials and the hosting of the show, interivews and stuff, maybe that is what they would want.

Just think they could take it further, turn it into the complete show.

Have 24 riders in each class, Each Manufacture if they want to play in the show has to provide four bikes each, or heck just have 18 riders with each manufacture required to have three riders for each class, then a "POOL" of fill in riders that manufactures can pick from when their main riders are injured.

The fill in riders would be pulled from the AX Championship!

A total of 36 contracted riders over two classes with reserves.

Propably should not post this and give FELD ideas hey.
7/9/2015 8:31am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2015 8:34am
Zracer wrote:
aaryn #234 wrote:
You could be right, but one main = 20 minutes, though I guess with one 250 Main of 15 minutes, 20 min 450 main, leaving 25...
You could be right, but one main = 20 minutes, though I guess with one 250 Main of 15 minutes, 20 min 450 main, leaving 25 minutes for commercials and the hosting of the show, interivews and stuff, maybe that is what they would want.

Have 24 riders in each class, Each Manufacture if they want to play in the show has to provide four bikes each, or heck just have 18 riders with each manufacture required to have three riders for each class, then a "POOL" of fill in riders that manufactures can pick from when their main riders are injured.

thats the problem right there...the "SHOW" mentality.

The reason we aren't growing is becuase people think of us as a huge show not an actual sporting event/venue competition. Our riders are probably the most conditioned athletes in the world, yet nobody thinks that at all. We aren't taken seriously and marketing is a shame...its too bad~

Once we turn the mindset around we will be able to grow and people will take this sport/racers legitimately.

As of now we are no bigger than FMX! Fact is nitro circus travels the globe more than our sport does...
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
7/9/2015 8:48am
Don't forget the cost of rising health insurance. A fall that requires you to get carted of to the hospital at the track can cost you easily start at 5k with good health insurance.
7/9/2015 9:06am
Moto_Geek wrote:
[b]Don't forget the cost of rising health insurance. A fall that requires you to get carted of to the hospital at the track can cost you...
Don't forget the cost of rising health insurance. A fall that requires you to get carted of to the hospital at the track can cost you easily start at 5k with good health insurance.
That isnt really an issue...every professional racing in this sport has a well covered insurance policy.
resetjet
7/9/2015 9:43am
Most motorsports fans need to be involved in the sport, or at least be able to envision themselves at the helm.....Alot of people can envision themselves behind the wheel of a racecar.......Much fewer on a bike. Then there are those who don't give a rip, just like to see madness of some kind.

Its not going anywhere fast, so love it for what it is.
Drtbykr
7/9/2015 9:53am
Because you have to be half crazy to participate, and the risk/reward ratio is almost nill.

Best sport going though.
hvaughn88
7/9/2015 9:54am
Moto_Geek wrote:
[b]Don't forget the cost of rising health insurance. A fall that requires you to get carted of to the hospital at the track can cost you...
That isnt really an issue...every professional racing in this sport has a well covered insurance policy.
Really?
Spartacus
7/9/2015 10:04am
If you can't do it in the back yard with a couch potato dad [baseball/football/basketball/etc.] it'll never be mainstream in 'Merica. At least dad can pretend he's Dale E Jr. when he's on his riding mower in the back yard.

Well that and it's fuking expensive and practice tracks are non existent in many areas.
BAMX
7/9/2015 10:06am
Zracer wrote:
aaryn #234 wrote:
You could be right, but one main = 20 minutes, though I guess with one 250 Main of 15 minutes, 20 min 450 main, leaving 25...

I can honestly say that if they did this, I would never attend or watch another "show". How long before the show was some scripted BS like wrestling?
7/9/2015 10:42am
Moto_Geek wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Really?
Yes really!!! There are many specialty insurance companies that cater to our "professional" athletes....not amatuer~ so dont get it twisted! There is a big big difference~
bobby397
7/9/2015 10:47am
Much cheaper for the parent to buy a ball and a glove. Majority of the kids racing now have a parent the use to ride or race. Unless my kid ask to race, I'm not going to suggest it.
hvaughn88
7/9/2015 10:57am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Really?
Yes really!!! There are many specialty insurance companies that cater to our "professional" athletes....not amatuer~ so dont get it twisted! There is a big big difference~
I'm sure there are, but does that mean that every rider has a policy? I highly doubt it.
7/9/2015 11:15am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Really?
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm sure there are, but does that mean that every rider has a policy? I highly doubt it.
Any Professional athelete that doesnt have a policy that covered him/herself medically and financially would not be considered Professional.

Post a reply to: Why motocross stays small

The Latest