Why it would be perfect to have SX on NBC

Premixed112
So, there's a show that I binged on Netflix a few weeks ago. Recently, I started seeing advertisements for the new season starting in October, but not on Netflix obviously. Because I don't have cable, I thought there was no way to see the new season of the show until it got onto netflix next year. But then I heard NBC is streaming it on their website. I went on there thinking I would have to pay a fee to watch, when come to find out you can play it right there for free. But the catch for that, is there are short breaks where anywhere from 2-6 interstitial ads play, just like the traditional TV commercial format.

This is genius on NBC's part because they're taking away customers from Netflix and getting them to engage on their platform, and thus gaining lost revenue from the cable cutters. It satisfies the advertisers by having their traditional TV commercial format on a streaming service. And it gives the consumers access to NBC's content by only having to have an internet connection. And that is what a growing portion of population use to get their entertainment..

Imagine if Feld chose to drop the contract with Fox, and partnered with NBC. That network is the only one I know of adjusting with the times and the way entertainment is consumed. It would do this sport good to be aligned with a network that's so forward thinking like this. We could all stream supercross without the possibility of missing the race if your cable plan doesn't include FS2. It would be great! I really wish they would make this happen.
|
Premixed112
10/12/2018 11:46pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2018 11:46pm
Also, one more thing! With it being on the internet, that's a MUCH better way to properly measure analytics unlike the Nielsen ratings which are wildly inaccurate to the reality of how many people are tuning in. That could show more legitimacy to the advertisers to get involved, resulting in more money for the sport.
KDXGarage
10/13/2018 1:54am
You think they are going to pay more than FOX did?
flatout111
10/13/2018 4:42am
I understand your reasoning but I wish the world would stop assuming everyone has blazing fast internet. There are still a lot of places that don't have fast speeds to stream everything nicely and some areas where it's not even offered whatsoever.

I know.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/13/2018 5:28am
flatout111 wrote:
I understand your reasoning but I wish the world would stop assuming everyone has blazing fast internet. There are still a lot of places that don't...
I understand your reasoning but I wish the world would stop assuming everyone has blazing fast internet. There are still a lot of places that don't have fast speeds to stream everything nicely and some areas where it's not even offered whatsoever.

I know.
In the case of NBC, it wouldn't necessarily leave tv, it's just ridiculous that at this point FOX does not have a subscription stream available. In the OPs scenario the races would most likely be simulcast on NBCSN, but since SX doesn't have the major Lucas oil sponsorship the mavtv BS would not be there.

The Shop

10/13/2018 6:50am
I could be wrong, but I’m fairly certain Fox and Feld inked a multi year deal recently.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/13/2018 7:21am
KDXGarage wrote:
You think they are going to pay more than FOX did?
Well I know 2 things. If it switches over to NBC/NBC Sports a lot of people will be happy for these 2 reasons.

1- Good chance at getting the NBC Sports Gold App allowing us to watch commercial free.
2- Ralph gets the boot as he's employed by FOX.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
10/13/2018 7:32am
I could be wrong, but I’m fairly certain Fox and Feld inked a multi year deal recently.
Tonight’s race is the final SX to be broadcast on the Fox family of networks.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
10/13/2018 7:36am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2018 7:46am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well I know 2 things. If it switches over to NBC/NBC Sports a lot of people will be happy for these 2 reasons. 1- Good chance...
Well I know 2 things. If it switches over to NBC/NBC Sports a lot of people will be happy for these 2 reasons.

1- Good chance at getting the NBC Sports Gold App allowing us to watch commercial free.
Ralph and Weege call the Flat Track races that are currently aired on NBC Sports. As much as I had hoped we’d get Weege in the booth for SX, I’m not sure that the network change is going to affect Ralph & Jeff.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/13/2018 7:42am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well I know 2 things. If it switches over to NBC/NBC Sports a lot of people will be happy for these 2 reasons. 1- Good chance...

SPYGUY wrote:
Ralph and Weege call the Flat Track races that are currently aired on NBC Sports. As much as I had hoped we’d get Weege in the...
Ralph and Weege call the Flat Track races that are currently aired on NBC Sports. As much as I had hoped we’d get Weege in the booth for SX, I’m not sure that the network change is going to affect Ralph & Jeff.
Thanks, I did not know that. Well there goes Ralph getting the boot theory right out the window. Booo!
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/13/2018 7:59am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Thanks, I did not know that. Well there goes Ralph getting the boot theory right out the window. Booo!
Still could be a different production team even if it's the same announcers.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/13/2018 8:14am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2018 8:18am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
early wrote:
Won't change the fact that Ralph says some stupid stuff from time to time. Ralphisms are a thing lol.
mxtech1
10/13/2018 8:18am
You have to think about how much cheaper it is for them just to be able to stream their own content vs.trying to secure conventional contracts with big cable and dish providers.

Consumers are no longer willing to pay extra money for packages containing hundreds of useless channels only to receive a select few they are really after.
HenryA
10/13/2018 8:19am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
early wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Won't change the fact that Ralph says some stupid stuff from time to time. Ralphisms are a thing lol.
Get ready for another season of: "Ricky, you used to race Chad Reed...Can you please explain why he is so hard to pass? What makes him such a good rider?"

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/13/2018 8:25am
early wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
HenryA wrote:
Get ready for another season of: "Ricky, you used to race Chad Reed...Can you please explain why he is so hard to pass? What makes him...
Get ready for another season of: "Ricky, you used to race Chad Reed...Can you please explain why he is so hard to pass? What makes him such a good rider?"

White Husqvarna
Blue Yamaha
Green Kawasaki
Red Honda
Orange KTM
Yellow Suzuki
Quad
Announcing guys passing for the wrong place.
Plenty of other little things during the broadcast.

He's good for a laugh or two so I guess there's that lol.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/13/2018 8:44am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
White Husqvarna Blue Yamaha Green Kawasaki Red Honda Orange KTM Yellow Suzuki Quad Announcing guys passing for the wrong place. Plenty of other little things during...
White Husqvarna
Blue Yamaha
Green Kawasaki
Red Honda
Orange KTM
Yellow Suzuki
Quad

I don't mind calling the colors of the bikes as much as "Anderson is all over the back side of Musquin!"
mikec265
10/13/2018 8:48am
The only internet available at my house is via cellphone towers or satilite dish. Bad idea. A lot of us don't have fast enough internet to stream at a decent quality.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/13/2018 8:50am
mikec265 wrote:
The only internet available at my house is via cellphone towers or satilite dish. Bad idea. A lot of us don't have fast enough internet to...
The only internet available at my house is via cellphone towers or satilite dish. Bad idea. A lot of us don't have fast enough internet to stream at a decent quality.
It's still on television. Streaming over the internet is just another option.
ATKpilot99
10/13/2018 8:57am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2018 8:57am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
White Husqvarna Blue Yamaha Green Kawasaki Red Honda Orange KTM Yellow Suzuki Quad Announcing guys passing for the wrong place. Plenty of other little things during...
White Husqvarna
Blue Yamaha
Green Kawasaki
Red Honda
Orange KTM
Yellow Suzuki
Quad

early wrote:
I don't mind calling the colors of the bikes as much as "Anderson is all over the back side of Musquin!"
Larry Huffman used to say the colors of the bikes also . Pretty sure Eckman did at times too.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/13/2018 8:59am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Larry Huffman used to say the colors of the bikes also . Pretty sure Eckman did at times too.
I really hate when they cut away from action to show replays of nothing significant.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/13/2018 9:00am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
early wrote:
I really hate when they cut away from action to show replays of nothing significant.
That or there's a battle for the lead and they move away to film the guy in 14th.
ATKpilot99
10/13/2018 9:01am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2018 9:02am
early wrote:
Definitely. Or when they're showing the battle for 8th place and you hear the crowd going nuts because there's a pass for the lead. Edit ....Mav beat me to it . Smile
10/13/2018 9:06am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
early wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think ralph would be much better if he didn't wave to carry the deadweight that is Emig…..
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/13/2018 9:13am
early wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Rushton597 wrote:
I think ralph would be much better if he didn't wave to carry the deadweight that is Emig…..
Emig is clueless from time to time. Ralph will say something and it's like it lands on deaf ears. He doesn't even respond so Ralph just continues on.

That said Ralph isn't all that bad but he's been covering SX for close to 20 years so he should be better at it.
Premixed112
10/13/2018 11:52am
early wrote:
In the case of NBC, it wouldn't necessarily leave tv, it's just ridiculous that at this point FOX does not have a subscription stream available. In...
In the case of NBC, it wouldn't necessarily leave tv, it's just ridiculous that at this point FOX does not have a subscription stream available. In the OPs scenario the races would most likely be simulcast on NBCSN, but since SX doesn't have the major Lucas oil sponsorship the mavtv BS would not be there.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Never assume that every single person's viewing habits are the same as your's, but at the same time I know a large number of people (including the younger generation) get their entertainment online. So it would be smart for these networks to do something to capitalize on that and have it as an option. Times are changing, don't get left behind.
Premixed112
10/13/2018 11:55am
Also, let's be honest, how amazing is the outdoor gold pass? I've bought it two years in a row and don't regret it one bit. Commercial free, better quality, and you can replay it anytime you want. My proposed idea for supercross is an easy access stream to anyone with an internet connection, but I would also love it if they were to do a gold pass for supercross also.
KDXGarage
10/14/2018 3:28am
mxtech1 wrote:
You have to think about how much cheaper it is for them just to be able to stream their own content vs.trying to secure conventional contracts...
You have to think about how much cheaper it is for them just to be able to stream their own content vs.trying to secure conventional contracts with big cable and dish providers.

Consumers are no longer willing to pay extra money for packages containing hundreds of useless channels only to receive a select few they are really after.
Wrong. This household pays extra to get a few channels including Fox Sports 2. Tonight, I turned on the TV and pressed 6-1-8, SX on the TV, no getting some smart device I don't own to hopefully stream it at something above 360P / 480P without buffering often.

Not everyone lives in downtown Tech Town.

Post a reply to: Why it would be perfect to have SX on NBC

The Latest