Why is the MXoN's always on a GP track?

jeffro503
Since 1947 , the USA has only held this event 3 times. 1987 , 2007 and 2010. So this next year and 60yrs after it's inception....if it happens at Glen Helen , we'll have it a 4th time.

It seems we almost always have to race on a regular scheduled GP track. All the top GP guys race the MXoN's track....because it's on their yearly schedule.

I'm not complaining here at all , it's just something I've never understood about this event. Would the GP guys freak out if we held the MXoN's like every 3yrs on one of our scheduled national tracks? Instead of only holding it 3 times in 60 freakin' years?
|
The Rock
8/11/2016 6:17pm
Great question.

MX didn't come to the states until circa 1967 so it's more like four times in 50 years or every 12.5 years.

The question you've raised also never came up when we were dominating the MXoN. As a result I can't really wrap my head around this track scheduling thing being an issue to contemplate.

Personally I'm contemplating how many more years go by until the US recognizes the sport's focus on SX and SX's influence on outdoor tracks are hurting our racers MX skills?
Sodipop
8/11/2016 6:22pm
Which promoter puts on the mxdn?
8/11/2016 6:43pm
The Rock wrote:
Great question. MX didn't come to the states until circa 1967 so it's more like four times in 50 years or every 12.5 years. The question...
Great question.

MX didn't come to the states until circa 1967 so it's more like four times in 50 years or every 12.5 years.

The question you've raised also never came up when we were dominating the MXoN. As a result I can't really wrap my head around this track scheduling thing being an issue to contemplate.

Personally I'm contemplating how many more years go by until the US recognizes the sport's focus on SX and SX's influence on outdoor tracks are hurting our racers MX skills?
....so every 12.5 years

pretty sure there are more than 12.5 MX nations ....... so does that perhaps suggest that maybe the US is getting it MORE than their fair turn??.... and especially in recent years where the last 3 on US soil has come every 3 years

The Shop

jeffro503
8/11/2016 6:55pm
I mean this with all sincerity , but lets put it like this....IF we had the MXoN's in California , , then Washington , Then Oregon , then New York , Then Tennessee , and then 7 more times here in the states....... and then....we go to Europe every 12 years....so our guys can race on a track we have no clue about. Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of what we do right now?

Take Lommel for instance. We have no idea what that track is like until we get there. Which by the way is an ass kicking , awesome track....no doubt! But Jesus Christ.....we don't have anything here that even closely resembles that track.

What would be really cool is if we had it on a " Neutral track ".....something nobody gets to ride until the day of the event. Have guys from different countries design and build certain sections.

What I'm saying is , our tracks differ so much compared to the ones in the GP's , it's crazy. That isn't a bad thing , or a good thing.....I'm just saying they are really different.

Would be really cool to have a grand event like the MXoN's on a true , specialty designed by many , run only that one time type track.

jeffro503
8/11/2016 6:57pm
The Rock wrote:
Great question. MX didn't come to the states until circa 1967 so it's more like four times in 50 years or every 12.5 years. The question...
Great question.

....so every 12.5 years pretty sure there are more than 12.5 MX nations ....... so does that perhaps suggest that maybe the US is getting it...
....so every 12.5 years

pretty sure there are more than 12.5 MX nations ....... so does that perhaps suggest that maybe the US is getting it MORE than their fair turn??.... and especially in recent years where the last 3 on US soil has come every 3 years
You're missing the point. We always seem to race on a regular scheduled GP track. Is that not true?
Braap19
8/11/2016 6:58pm
I like that idea. A neutral track would be cool. Let's go to Canada or Swiss! Kinda like the old IROC race
jeffro503
8/11/2016 6:59pm
The Rock wrote:
Great question.

....so every 12.5 years pretty sure there are more than 12.5 MX nations ....... so does that perhaps suggest that maybe the US is getting it...
....so every 12.5 years

jeffro503 wrote:
You're missing the point. We always seem to race on a regular scheduled GP track. Is that not true?
Wait....I see what you're saying about the last few. 2007 , 2010 and hopefully 2017.
The Rock
8/11/2016 7:07pm
One could also ask why is the MXoN always held on a National track when it is held in the US?
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/11/2016 7:10pm
Sodipop wrote:
Which promoter puts on the mxdn?
IceMan446 wrote:
What does that matter?
He's referring to GL and his known greed.

But that is a only recently. OP's post is referring to a much larger time frame without GL.
mx836
8/11/2016 7:10pm
....so every 12.5 years

Without doing any research at all, I can guarantee you that there are nations that are smaller and have less tracks that have held more MXdN's than the USA since they started competing in the event so there goes your theory. Also, not every nation that competes has held a MXdN so there's that also.
Bauer
8/11/2016 7:11pm
Considering we have one rider racing the GPs, there are a couple dozen countries represented at the MXoN and it's a lot cheaper for most of the teams to race over there than fly-away to the USA, we are lucky to get what we get. My guess is that there aren't any US promoters beating on Luongo's door for an MXoN...it's a risky venture and the US fans haven't exactly shown much enthusiasm at the USGPs
8/11/2016 7:15pm
I can't wait till all the Europeans wake up and read this... The same Europeans bashing Tomac right now but not Roczen about not doing the MXDN
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/11/2016 7:21pm
Bauer wrote:
Considering we have one rider racing the GPs, there are a couple dozen countries represented at the MXoN and it's a lot cheaper for most of...
Considering we have one rider racing the GPs, there are a couple dozen countries represented at the MXoN and it's a lot cheaper for most of the teams to race over there than fly-away to the USA, we are lucky to get what we get. My guess is that there aren't any US promoters beating on Luongo's door for an MXoN...it's a risky venture and the US fans haven't exactly shown much enthusiasm at the USGPs
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is your answer.
jeffro503
8/11/2016 7:28pm
Bauer wrote:
Considering we have one rider racing the GPs, there are a couple dozen countries represented at the MXoN and it's a lot cheaper for most of...
I totally get that B!

I still think something like a one-off , special made track for this event should be done. It's our Olympic's right? Or if it has to be on a regular scheduled track , either in Europe or the USA....have people from both sides help design a special layout or something.

And before I get jumped on by any other GP guys or even guys from here.......look what happened at the GH USGP. We had two MX2 guys that were just inside the toip 10 in points , that basically destroyed everyone. We had a guy that was trying to earn a spot back onto a descent ride ( Josh Grant ) and a brand new rookie ( Cooper Webb ) run with and damn near beat the points leader in the GP's.

It can be heavily one sided depending on when and where the MXoN's is held. It goes both ways. And it seems like every year....depending on where we race , we pretty much know who the favorites are.

Neutral ground is where it should be held.
loftyair
8/11/2016 7:35pm
Make them race saddleback or carlsbad!
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/11/2016 7:42pm
Bauer wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
I totally get that B! I still think something like a one-off , special made track for this event should be done. It's our Olympic's right...
I totally get that B!

I still think something like a one-off , special made track for this event should be done. It's our Olympic's right? Or if it has to be on a regular scheduled track , either in Europe or the USA....have people from both sides help design a special layout or something.

And before I get jumped on by any other GP guys or even guys from here.......look what happened at the GH USGP. We had two MX2 guys that were just inside the toip 10 in points , that basically destroyed everyone. We had a guy that was trying to earn a spot back onto a descent ride ( Josh Grant ) and a brand new rookie ( Cooper Webb ) run with and damn near beat the points leader in the GP's.

It can be heavily one sided depending on when and where the MXoN's is held. It goes both ways. And it seems like every year....depending on where we race , we pretty much know who the favorites are.

I agree that the MXON should be neutral. But where would you ever find a place to hold it?
Ted722
8/11/2016 7:46pm
Competition Park. Maybe DORNA could lend a hand.
B Gotti
Fantasy
4205th
8/11/2016 8:17pm
Hold it at Loretta Lynn's every 3 years.
The Rock
8/11/2016 8:18pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I totally get that B! I still think something like a one-off , special made track for this event should be done. It's our Olympic's right...
I totally get that B!

"Neutral ground is where it should be held." Your earlier

Let's talk about this when more people say this is an issue. To date your post is the first time I've seen this issue raised.

Also am I correct am thinking using your logic Team USA more than likely will be assured of a win at the 2017 GH MXoN?
Tonynz
8/11/2016 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 8:44pm
Ted722 wrote:
Competition Park. Maybe DORNA could lend a hand.
I still have the unused tickets for that race,
8/11/2016 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 8:33pm
No GPs are held on the MXoN track during the season it's held at that track, what about holding it in the country that won it the year before so they are defending the Chamberlain trophy on home soil before thier home fans, that's fair.
Jimmy_Sloan
8/11/2016 8:39pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Since 1947 , the USA has only held this event [b]3 times[/b]. 1987 , 2007 and 2010. So this next year and [b]60yrs[/b] after it's inception....if...
Since 1947 , the USA has only held this event 3 times. 1987 , 2007 and 2010. So this next year and 60yrs after it's inception....if it happens at Glen Helen , we'll have it a 4th time.

It seems we almost always have to race on a regular scheduled GP track. All the top GP guys race the MXoN's track....because it's on their yearly schedule.

I'm not complaining here at all , it's just something I've never understood about this event. Would the GP guys freak out if we held the MXoN's like every 3yrs on one of our scheduled national tracks? Instead of only holding it 3 times in 60 freakin' years?
Logistically, it makes no sense to have in the United States since ALL their teams would have to travel here, whereas only OUR team has to go there. I would like to see it take place here more often, but every 3 years seems excessive. Besides, it's better when our guys beat them on their own soil.
8/11/2016 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 8:47pm
....so every 12.5 years

mx836 wrote:
Without doing any research at all, I can guarantee you that there are nations that are smaller and have less tracks that have held more MXdN's...
Without doing any research at all, I can guarantee you that there are nations that are smaller and have less tracks that have held more MXdN's than the USA since they started competing in the event so there goes your theory. Also, not every nation that competes has held a MXdN so there's that also.
im not sure I have a theory tbh.... just responding to the '60 years' sub point of the thread

if a country has less tracks than another country should they hold the MXDN less then? :/ ........

Jeffro.... also being a speedway fan, I am only too used to there being a home advantage in a team motorsport....it really isn't an issue and makes an away victory all the more sweet....... I don't see why a US held MXDN shouldnt be held at a non GP track ...... that is far better and easier to arrange than trying to come up with some kind of neutral track arrangement...... I really don't see how everyone would agree on just what is 'neutral' ....let alone preserve and enforce its neutrality

is it being suggested then that Giuseppe Luongo will only use US tracks that have already been used for GP's?

mark1960
8/11/2016 8:51pm
If you want neutral ground how about Australia or even New Zealand.

We will even let you guys pay the licence fee.
Mr. Info
8/11/2016 8:56pm
If you only knew what's involved you would not believe it. Would you take the risk of losing money, I know I can't afford it. In Europe it's funded by Federations. In the US this year for the 2 GP's it's funded by private parties. Do you think Buds Creek made money? How about Lakewood, Co.? Times have changed and it's not like it was 10 years ago. I know at Glen Helen we are starting now on our game plan for 2017 MXoN. The tracks the easy part it's everything else as stupid as how much toilet paper or how many porta potties to paper for printers to how much water for the press tent. Are cost are starting now for next year and we have not had the GP yet this year. It's making a commitment with no guarantee of return to cover our cost. But it's all worth it if the fans enjoy it from my perspective. Hope to see all of you there.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/11/2016 9:07pm
mark1960 wrote:
If you want neutral ground how about Australia or even New Zealand.

We will even let you guys pay the licence fee.
You sir, are a man with a solution
TDeath21
8/11/2016 9:11pm
France has it about once every five years don't they? 00, 05, 11, 15. That's a bit much in my opinion. I think that once every three years it should be in the states. That's where half the best riders in the world race, but I also understand that the FIM is based in Europe, so it shouldn't be every other. Once every three seems fair.
jeffro503
8/11/2016 9:39pm
TDeath21 wrote:
France has it about once every five years don't they? 00, 05, 11, 15. That's a bit much in my opinion. I think that once every...
France has it about once every five years don't they? 00, 05, 11, 15. That's a bit much in my opinion. I think that once every three years it should be in the states. That's where half the best riders in the world race, but I also understand that the FIM is based in Europe, so it shouldn't be every other. Once every three seems fair.
France had it like 6 times before those 4 you listed.

Post a reply to: Why is the MXoN's always on a GP track?

The Latest