Why is the Glendale stadium so big?

Crush
1/13/2019 2:50am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 11:01am
Help a foreigner out? Is it just because it's new?

We're what four years on good tracks there. As much as I'd argue slower bikes would be better for racing & rider safety at the same time, the bigger stadium does seem to help a track for good racing.

But why is it bigger? Are there others that Feld could try and get time for a round?
|
jbrown15
1/13/2019 2:54am
It’s so big because it’s the only stadium where the grass field can be rolled completely out of it. So they actually have the grass field outside of the stadium and then roll it into the stadium for football games. Then when they host events like Supercross or Monster trucks it rolls out. It’s also the only closed roof stadium with a grass field because of this. It’s a really cool design.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
1/13/2019 3:00am
I think the floor of the stadium is a little larger because they have a big sliding tray that holds the football grass on it, and that tray moves into the stadium from one side. On that side there is a big door, and because of that there is no permanent seating on that side of the stadium.

So when you look at the track map, you can see in the starting gate area, there is a notch in the stadium that lets them build more track space:

Here's a picture on Wikipedia, where you can see how the grass tray slides in:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/University_of_Phoen…
jemcee
1/13/2019 3:02am
It's a super cool set up was about to go looking for pictures got distracted by pitbits then boom there was a pic in there haha

KDXGarage
1/13/2019 6:08am
Damn. I forgot about that. That is very cool!

The Shop

STLSharky
1/13/2019 6:12am
Crush wrote:
Help a foreigner out? Is it just because it's new? We're what four years on good tracks there. As much as I'd argue slower bikes would...
Help a foreigner out? Is it just because it's new?

We're what four years on good tracks there. As much as I'd argue slower bikes would be better for racing & rider safety at the same time, the bigger stadium does seem to help a track for good racing.

But why is it bigger? Are there others that Feld could try and get time for a round?
Football ? vs ⚾️ stadium is all
shuggs
1/13/2019 6:15am
Is there any footage of them moving grass out, would love to see that.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
1/13/2019 7:44am
STLSharky wrote:
Football ? vs ⚾️ stadium is all
Cowboy’s AT&T Stadium is a football stadium but the floor space is relatively small.
1/13/2019 9:12am
Stadium looked about 1/3rd full of SX fans. I think that place is 60k seats? so it looked like 20-30k in there. What happened to all the "sold out crowd" comments from Ralph?
Motoxdoc
1/13/2019 9:22am
How cool is THAT?! What if someone flipped the switch in the middle of a football game?Laughing
Premix
1/13/2019 9:50am
Attendance looked pretty lackluster last night during the broadcast. a TON of empty seats. Wonder what the attendance numbers were.
SVT-Cobra
1/13/2019 10:20am
Premix wrote:
Attendance looked pretty lackluster last night during the broadcast. a TON of empty seats. Wonder what the attendance numbers were.
That’s the least attendance I’ve seen. I always sit in the club level and every time it’s been packed, but last night there were empty seats all around me. Ticket prices are too expensive honestly, parking has been abysmal especially wit SX futures, I’m even going to reconsider going next year.
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
1/13/2019 10:27am
the las vegas raiders are probably gonna have that moving field too...
nytsmaC
1/13/2019 12:45pm
People don’t know why the Glendale stadium be like it is, but it do.
1/13/2019 12:56pm
It’s actually a 200 yard field which is why the cardinals rarely score
500 Mike
1/13/2019 2:33pm
Stadium looked about 1/3rd full of SX fans. I think that place is 60k seats? so it looked like 20-30k in there. What happened to all...
Stadium looked about 1/3rd full of SX fans. I think that place is 60k seats? so it looked like 20-30k in there. What happened to all the "sold out crowd" comments from Ralph?
I noticed the same thing regarding the attendance. I haven't been to a SX in a number of years. Used to get the "Tread Head" seats in the upper deck for $10-20. Now they are $50+ for the cheap seats. Much less hassle and much better views watching at home on TV.
aeffertz
1/13/2019 5:31pm
500 Mike wrote:
I noticed the same thing regarding the attendance. I haven't been to a SX in a number of years. Used to get the "Tread Head" seats...
I noticed the same thing regarding the attendance. I haven't been to a SX in a number of years. Used to get the "Tread Head" seats in the upper deck for $10-20. Now they are $50+ for the cheap seats. Much less hassle and much better views watching at home on TV.
Watching a concert from your couch probably results in a better view and sound too but it's just not the same as being there. Same goes for racing, IMO.
Crush
1/13/2019 6:02pm
Very cool! Thanks for the info!
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
1/13/2019 6:21pm
500 Mike wrote:
I noticed the same thing regarding the attendance. I haven't been to a SX in a number of years. Used to get the "Tread Head" seats...
The tread head seats at AT&T stadium are $25 + $7 in fees so $32. Not trying to be a dick but the prices have gotten better since a few years ago. I think Ticket Master was doing something to more or less scalp the tickets because the prices were crazy for a couple years but they no longer use Ticket Master.
500 Mike
1/13/2019 6:32pm
500 Mike wrote:
aeffertz wrote:
Watching a concert from your couch probably results in a better view and sound too but it's just not the same as being there. Same goes...
Watching a concert from your couch probably results in a better view and sound too but it's just not the same as being there. Same goes for racing, IMO.
You are right, there is something to be said for being there. There was a time when I lived to go to the Mid-Ohio Trans-AMA race as a teenager. Watching on TV was not an option in those days. I am getting old and lazy I suppose. ?

Glad to hear the ticket prices have gotten more reasonable. I did a quick check for the Nashville SX (I think) and didn’t see anything less than $50 or so plus fees but didn’t do an exhaustive search. I am glad folks are still excited to attend.
APLMAN99
1/13/2019 7:12pm
The original plan for the Cowboys stadium was to have that moving field also, but the budget was so high from everything else that it got nixed. Can't imagine that another $100 million would have been all that big of a deal!
1/13/2019 7:46pm
Stadium looked about 1/3rd full of SX fans. I think that place is 60k seats? so it looked like 20-30k in there. What happened to all...
I’m with you on this. I heard Baggett’s PR guy say the official attendance was like ~50k but I say there’s no chance. It was half full at most.
1/13/2019 7:50pm
dsmith wrote:
the las vegas raiders are probably gonna have that moving field too...
We will see if it makes it through the final design but they were definitely getting budget numbers on it.
jemcee
1/13/2019 7:57pm
I would wonder how much more expensive that set up is compared to say a retractable roof.. taking maintenance and all that shit into consideration couldn't be too much more..
I'm probably wrong haha
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
1/13/2019 8:32pm
1) The stadium was built with other purposes in mind - concerts, trade shows, etc. Remember, there are 8 football games played in that stadium a year + playoffs (lol) and a college bowl game. At most, that is 11 football games. That's hard to pay the bills with. So they designed it with extra space so it would be enticing for other events like SX, Monsterjam, trade shows, and concerts. It's a very cool stadium for sure.
2) Attendance was lower than I've seen in the last 10 years. The stadium holds about 60K and it might have been 65-70% full max. I'd guess about 35-40,000 people were there. Phoenix normally has about 50,000 people in attendance.
3) I don't think the lower attendance was due to price. You could get lower level tickets in the north end zone about 20 rows up for $35 plus the fee. That's a damn good deal. I don't know how much the cheap seats were. We were in the front row and our tickets were $65+fees. They were great seats. I'm not complaining about ticket pricing, that's for sure. I don't know why attendance was down to be honest.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
1/13/2019 9:52pm
jemcee wrote:
I would wonder how much more expensive that set up is compared to say a retractable roof.. taking maintenance and all that shit into consideration couldn't...
I would wonder how much more expensive that set up is compared to say a retractable roof.. taking maintenance and all that shit into consideration couldn't be too much more..
I'm probably wrong haha
State Farm Stadium (the Glendale stadium) has a retractable roof as well as retractable grass.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
1/13/2019 9:56pm
TbonesPop wrote:
1) The stadium was built with other purposes in mind - concerts, trade shows, etc. Remember, there are 8 football games played in that stadium a...
1) The stadium was built with other purposes in mind - concerts, trade shows, etc. Remember, there are 8 football games played in that stadium a year + playoffs (lol) and a college bowl game. At most, that is 11 football games. That's hard to pay the bills with. So they designed it with extra space so it would be enticing for other events like SX, Monsterjam, trade shows, and concerts. It's a very cool stadium for sure.
2) Attendance was lower than I've seen in the last 10 years. The stadium holds about 60K and it might have been 65-70% full max. I'd guess about 35-40,000 people were there. Phoenix normally has about 50,000 people in attendance.
3) I don't think the lower attendance was due to price. You could get lower level tickets in the north end zone about 20 rows up for $35 plus the fee. That's a damn good deal. I don't know how much the cheap seats were. We were in the front row and our tickets were $65+fees. They were great seats. I'm not complaining about ticket pricing, that's for sure. I don't know why attendance was down to be honest.
I want to know what would have happened had the Cardinals hosted a playoff game this weekend.

Did they book the SX thinking the Cardinals weren't likely to be a playoff contender this year? That seemed like a safe bet, but there are surprise teams in the NFL every year.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2550th
1/13/2019 10:03pm
TbonesPop wrote:
1) The stadium was built with other purposes in mind - concerts, trade shows, etc. Remember, there are 8 football games played in that stadium a...
RichieW13 wrote:
I want to know what would have happened had the Cardinals hosted a playoff game this weekend. Did they book the SX thinking the Cardinals weren't...
I want to know what would have happened had the Cardinals hosted a playoff game this weekend.

Did they book the SX thinking the Cardinals weren't likely to be a playoff contender this year? That seemed like a safe bet, but there are surprise teams in the NFL every year.
damm..thats cheap

Here in aus is like $110+ for basic seating when the Aus X is on or even $90 for the Australian supercross series.

Post a reply to: Why is the Glendale stadium so big?

The Latest