Why is motocross so addicting

Sas Squach
Perfect melding of man and machine ?
Adrenaline harder to quit than brown tar heroin?
Masochists in denial (not the river) ?

The pain you go thru to get fast should make a sane person quit, could we all be idiots ?
|
r.sal923
8/3/2016 6:40am
The question I ask is"why is vitalmx " so addicting
hillbilly
8/3/2016 6:45am
I always enjoyed doing dangerous stuff from a young age.

I needed to scare myself daily.

Moto is perfect for that.
8/3/2016 6:46am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2016 6:48am
Number of things.

For me personally, I grew up in a mining town of 1500 people, the town was rich in terms of population income so there was no shortage of toys kids were getting.

We had a gang of about 12 kids who had bikes nothing above 85cc. The town was surrounded by nothing but land as it was in the middle of the desert it had a motocross track also but was barely maintained.. we also built own tracks/sprints through bits of land that were fun, so each day was probably something like this. wake up goto school, walk home get changed into moto gear, start the bike out ride out of the backyard into the bush and come back by sunset.

Probably the best time of my life and motocross has been an addiction ever since.

I think outside that I understand what those guys are doing out there and there seems to be an unreached level of performance out of a rider that has not been hit yet which keeps me watching the best talent during the season.

Also we are extremely gifted to watch a sport that isnt over umpired or won by pure machine, I believe this sport could have JS/RC/RV etc in their primes come on a stock bike and blitz the field.
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
8/3/2016 7:03am
There are 1000's of reasons why our sport is so addicting... its fun, its hard, its challenging, you can always be better, your bike can always be better, the sense of achievement, the feeling that riding gives you, the rush, the thrill, the danger, the places you go, the people you meet, the competitiveness and the social side of it all keep us coming back for more.

But I think the bottom line is, once the motocross bug gets in you, you can never shake it. Even if you don't continue to ride, you still love it. You still watch and follow it, attend races and browse the moto sites. It's like the best mental illness in the world!

The Shop

8/3/2016 7:25am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2016 7:26am
For me: sound (4 stroke lover here), looks (bike, rider gear, jumps), smell, also competition, some big name riders.
Frodad78
8/3/2016 7:28am
For me, I like that I'm always learning and improving my technique. I could do this until I'm 70 and there will still be room for improvement. This keeps this fresh and challenging. I also like how technical it is, how it makes you focus and be mindful of what your are doing on the machine. It keeps me motivated to stay fit, and racing gives you the change to let your competitive side rage. I think it builds confidence and a work ethic that can work its way into other areas of your life. It burns stress and you can't ignore the rush you get when you huck something for the first time or you rail a rut perfectly and faster than you ever have. Most of all ITS FUN AS HELL!!!
8/3/2016 7:39am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2016 7:49am
I ride because nothing in life gives me total freedom. When I ride Motocross nothing matters except what I am doing at that moment. I have tried shifter karts, golf, paintball and many less dangerous sports, but cannot seem to replicate what I get from riding.
8/3/2016 9:48am
For be its addicting because its the only time I truly feel disconnected from the rest of the world. No smart phone, no work emails, just me, my bike, some dirt, and a bunch of there people trying to go faster than me...and most likely doing so!!
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
8/3/2016 9:48am
maybe because I wanted one of these so badly ...for so long it seemed as a kid ....and never got one....every waking moment I thought of riding must of triggered something to stay with me forever....am I the only one?

8/3/2016 9:54am
For be its addicting because its the only time I truly feel disconnected from the rest of the world. No smart phone, no work emails, just...
For be its addicting because its the only time I truly feel disconnected from the rest of the world. No smart phone, no work emails, just me, my bike, some dirt, and a bunch of there people trying to go faster than me...and most likely doing so!!
Bingo.

8/3/2016 10:20am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2016 10:22am
Because there is nothing else as fun, challenging, thrilling, or exhilarating.
I think that people like us are wired a little differently than the average person, "adrenaline junkie" fits the bill.
I've always thought of MX as mans highest pursuit.
RG95
8/3/2016 11:34am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2016 11:35am
r.sal923 wrote:
The question I ask is"why is vitalmx " so addicting
Lol that's a good one. I can see Vitards everywhere in here, dumb comments everyday but I'm still reading this forum what the fk? Laughing
moscrop940
8/3/2016 11:54am
Because life's bullshit stops.

I try to fill the gap with things less dangerous, but it doesn't work.

Golf is good for relaxing, and Im 5x better at golf than MX, but my phone goes off, I shoot the bull with my buddies..theres no emersion.
Softball on monday nights is fun, but the majority of the time your just kind of waiting...

However, when I'm riding, nothing else matters. Not bills, not work, no social media, no drama...just the moment.

If I knew of another outlet that provided me that type of serenity, I would take it up in a second...but I just don't think it exists.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
8/3/2016 11:56am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2016 11:57am
i believe motorcycles in general are addictng to those of us that got the bug and can't let go. It is quite the thrill to hop on a bike and twist the throttle. To me it doesn't matter if it's on a Mx track, trail ride or street bike....I get the same pleasure no matter what or where I am riding.

I will turn 57 n a couple of months. When I am on my bike I feel like I am a teenager
Whip
Fantasy
3248th
8/3/2016 1:27pm
Why is motocross so addictive*?
Titan1
8/3/2016 2:30pm
Like others have said...its the ONLY time in my life where I'm completely focused, and nothing else matters...bills, work, family, everything else gets put on the back burner and I only think about riding...

The thing about that, for me at least, is that it only happens when I'm riding hard. Just riding along, my mind wanders...so I find myself constantly pushing myself...if I find that work and other things pop into my head when I'm riding then I'm not pushing myself.

Then there is also the fact that there is always a carrot in front of me...the carrot being that I can always be better, always go faster...I've yet to find the ceiling to what I'm capable of (found the ceiling of my fitness though...lol). And just knowing that I can be better the next time out, than I was this time, leaves me almost obsessed with getting back out there, and has me thinking about riding almost non-stop going over certain sections in my mind and almost over-analyzing them and how I can do it faster/smoother/better the next time, to the point that I literally can't wait to get back on the bike.

Then there are all the reasons I love it so much...and no other sport compares...the freedom (nothing better than just looking at a tree, or hill, or mountain and figuring out a way to get to it...and freedom from worldly cares), the speed, the Adrenalin, the competition, the physical workout...the bikes are cool...the relationships with other riders...on and on and on.

But more than anything, for me, its always that nagging thought that I can be better...even at 35 I still feel like I can be better...that is what is addictive to me.
Krazyk2774
8/3/2016 4:11pm
KennyT wrote:
i believe motorcycles in general are addictng to those of us that got the bug and can't let go. It is quite the thrill to hop...
i believe motorcycles in general are addictng to those of us that got the bug and can't let go. It is quite the thrill to hop on a bike and twist the throttle. To me it doesn't matter if it's on a Mx track, trail ride or street bike....I get the same pleasure no matter what or where I am riding.

I will turn 57 n a couple of months. When I am on my bike I feel like I am a teenager
That's what does it for me too! I fire the bike up and it's like I'm 10 years old again. A big shit eating grin and not a care in the world!
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
8/3/2016 5:33pm
+1 for every post. you guys nailed it. I tell family etc. when they say its 95 degrees,its scary,its far,its you know every line or comment..mx is a roller coaster you control and design lap after lap.
I have scored tds in a state football game,hit hrs,threw 90mph all fun. they don't push the buttons though.its the best physical and mental cleanser.
I love that it is so hard.sitting on a starting gate or when you finally rail a turn,holeshot,jump etc. nothing close.
what is really cool no matter your speed,your fast heart pumping fun feels the same as k rocs. just the pros are from another planetWink
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
8/3/2016 6:57pm
hillbilly wrote:
I always enjoyed doing dangerous stuff from a young age.

I needed to scare myself daily.

Moto is perfect for that.
Amen! Live by the rules of 3D....
Defy Death Daily. Been a shitload of fun my entire life! Tomorrow I turn 43, no signs of slowing down yet......
vetmxr
8/3/2016 7:23pm
For me its the feeling of speed. I started as a novice and worked my way up to expert level for many years. The first day I ever rode on a track as a novice, I swore to god that I was hauling ass as fast as anyone ripping berms, jumping 50 feet through the air( when it actually was 5 feet.) and I was probably the slowest spode out there, swerving all over, not holding lines etc.....but I FELT like I was riding that bike as fast as it would go. Fast forward many years as I worked my way up to expert level......I was probably 10 times faster than the first time i raced, but the sensation of speed was always the same for me....whether I was actually slow or fast didn't matter....I was giving it my all and left nothing out on the track, I was riding that bike as fast as I personally could, and felt like I was hauling ass. Now I'm a 47 year old veteran and by no means hanging it out on the edge like I used too, but like Hillbilly, I'm not interested in cruising around the track.....I need to scare myself when I ride to feel like I want to.....so even today when I push it a little on the track I get the same rush I used to have as a novice and an expert. That's the best part of motocross in my book. You can feel like a hero out there until a snot nosed kid comes around you at mach 5 and reminds you that you're not the hot shit you thought you were.....I always kinda thought that the pro's and I are feeling the same sensation of hauling ass.......its just that they are actually DOING it......ha ha . JMO
wreckitrandy
8/3/2016 7:49pm
The sounds of two smokers and the smell of bean oil and race gas. The desire to stomp my buddies into the ground. The struggle during the moto to hit lines with correct technique. Overcoming the fear of a big jump. Going to eat with my friends after the race and replaying every turn, jump, pass, crash.... Starting all over again the next week getting my bike ready. I loved everything about it except the injuries. It kept me out of a lot of trouble as a teenager and like most addictions, caused me a bunch of trouble as an adult.
rpoint116
8/3/2016 8:43pm
RussB wrote:
There are 1000's of reasons why our sport is so addicting... its fun, its hard, its challenging, you can always be better, your bike can always...
There are 1000's of reasons why our sport is so addicting... its fun, its hard, its challenging, you can always be better, your bike can always be better, the sense of achievement, the feeling that riding gives you, the rush, the thrill, the danger, the places you go, the people you meet, the competitiveness and the social side of it all keep us coming back for more.

But I think the bottom line is, once the motocross bug gets in you, you can never shake it. Even if you don't continue to ride, you still love it. You still watch and follow it, attend races and browse the moto sites. It's like the best mental illness in the world!

Well said.

A few more things...

It doesn't matter how fast you are, it's the experience.

The feeling of how sore you are after a good ride.

The smell of the dirt, your helmet, the exhaust.

When you are going as fast as you think is heavenly possible, it is the same feeling the pros have.

What other Motorsport can you spend $10k on a new bike, $10k on suspension & engine mods, $2k for gear, AND if you are good enough, you can win at the highest level.

disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
8/3/2016 9:08pm
I like the vibrations of the motorcycle
cappelmans
8/3/2016 11:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2016 11:15pm
Good question. It's actually no fun at all, I get disappointed with my technique and speed and style everytime I ride, I have this weird talent of getting into 120 meters long sidecar ruts, I get passed by my younger brothers, It costs me too much money, I try to ride when the weather is crap and regret going after the first corner, my dad always steals my tools and I'll find out at when I'm at the track, I hate 85cc noise even though I ride a 2-stroke myself (150cc).

I can go on and on about the utter suffering this sport is but once you get through all the crap and find your rythm on the track it is the most rewarding and fun sport there is.
Fearo
8/4/2016 1:48am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2016 1:49am
Because the world is a fucked up place filled with complete retards and MX is the only thing that can keep you from being permanently depressed?

I'm kidding...Or am I?
JMX82
8/4/2016 2:00am
Fearo wrote:
Because the world is a fucked up place filled with complete retards and MX is the only thing that can keep you from being permanently depressed...
Because the world is a fucked up place filled with complete retards and MX is the only thing that can keep you from being permanently depressed?

I'm kidding...Or am I?
I think this pretty much sums it all up
chump6784
8/4/2016 2:51am
Being on two wheels just cant be replicated.

I tried wakeboarding for the last 3 years but have just bought a yz250 to start racing again. To me, there is nothing like really hanging it out on a bike. People would ask if I liked wakeboarding better and I would tell them it was less hassle to do, less travel, less maintenance but at the end of the day there is no feeling like hitting a jump, throttle wide open and scrubbing it for all you are worth

Post a reply to: Why is motocross so addicting

The Latest