Why is it so hard to retire??

mauidex
Just in general for lots of guys in this sport, aside from the 800 pound elephant in 7 gear?!?!?! Rosberg wins a title finally and leaves, Edwards just walked away..........both from rides and teams others would kill to be on.

So how come it seems that so many still line up way way past their expiration date and in some cases even PAY to play??

Curious and PLEASE don't turn into a Stewart thread..................there are others even racing right now that obviously should consider calling it a day in both classes. UnsureUnsure
|
slipdog
1/11/2017 9:05am
Motocross is life, the end.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
1/11/2017 9:05am
Why is it so hard to understand that someone enjoys what they do and isn't ready to retire yet?
NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
1/11/2017 9:09am
What is however rather annoying is people who announce retirement but then come back anyway within a year..
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
1/11/2017 9:11am
Some guys money, they may not be as financially set as they want and others it's camaraderie. When they get home they don't have anything to do.

Some guys just enjoy being around the race environment or the team environment that's what they've known all their lives and it's hard to find something outside of that.

Remember, the longer that they can earn a paycheck, the longer they can stay out of their own Investments.

The Shop

KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
1/11/2017 9:13am
Because it's fun?

But I think the biggest thing they miss is the fans and admiration. If you ever get a chance ask one of the retired old pros, how they miss the feeling you get when a crowd is going nuts for you. You won't get that feeling again. Shoot in 10 years the fans might not even recognize you anymore.

At Anaheim, I was walking with RJ right down the middle of the crowded pits without even a second glance from the fans, when 30 years ago 77,000 people cheered their brains out for him and would have mobbed him. Now nothing. That has to be at least a little depressing. Especially for some of the guys that really enjoyed the notariaty. Disposable heros.
mauidex
1/11/2017 9:17am
All valid points and what I expected. Just after reading some Edwards articles seems like it was more leaving healthy and WITHOUT potential brain issues like Jr. is having. MX/SX is really way more riskier than pretty much any auto racing as far as life changing injuries. Guess all the reasons posted so far overshadows the risk.
1/11/2017 9:19am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2017 9:20am
Confidence.

The self-confidence that is absolutely required for an athlete to have success at the pinnacle of a sport is the same confidence that keeps him standing in the ring for far too long.
Wildeye511
1/11/2017 9:21am
Cause they truly enjoy riding and competing? Kind of like why do so many people race at the amateur level even though they are over 30 or 40 or 50....... Its a blast and if you are still having fun and in a pro's case, can still be competitive and get paid, why not do it?
mxb2
1/11/2017 9:26am
Ask Michael Jordan lol, hard to be with your wife 24/7 instead of having people slobber all over you.
Fourth_Floor
1/11/2017 9:28am
Another vote for because it's fun. I mean think about being in Chad Reed's position. He has his whole family with him, they all seem like they're having a good time and I don't think anyone puts a tremendous amount of pressure on him to go out and win races (even though he is more than capable of it). The majority of us average joes can't even walk away from it even though we can't afford to get hurt, still take the chance b/c it's fun, releases the feel good shit in your brain and is good exercise.
1/11/2017 9:36am
I don't think it is hard at all, and in 8 months, I'll be sure and check back in and let you know how it feels.
Dtat720
1/11/2017 9:36am
They are their own worst enemy. Ego gets in the way along with not knowing what the future after racing holds. Only a few industry jobs out there. No experience other than racing. Pretty scary to figure out what the next chapter is going to be
Harambe
1/11/2017 9:42am
Mx stars dont make nearly as much money as the top dogs in nascar, f1, etc... So they most likely dont have the financial ability to just leave their source of income

Plus most guys dont seem to have legitimate job opportunities after riding. Some get jobs in the industry but not all of them

Anyway thats just my take on things. Maybe they keep racing because they can and people will pay them to do it? Maybe some pride? Always the human element involved
newmann
1/11/2017 9:46am
jj welks wrote:
Short retired this year
And went to work for Honda. Short impresses as more than just a great rider, he's a great person and one that the motocross business needs to keep around. Good for the sport some may say.

But he's always positive and doesn't speak ill of anyone so Matthes may not agree...lol.
colorado2day
1/11/2017 10:54am
Canard, Pourcel, Grant, Reed and Tickle should all retire and free up some rides for 2018. Yes, you were all fast at one time.....

Nobody cares when you ride around for 9th
Trav138
1/11/2017 11:00am
Canard, Pourcel, Grant, Reed and Tickle should all retire and free up some rides for 2018. Yes, you were all fast at one time..... Nobody cares...
Canard, Pourcel, Grant, Reed and Tickle should all retire and free up some rides for 2018. Yes, you were all fast at one time.....

Wow!
I hope somebody retires your posting career!
USMCMXer
1/11/2017 11:02am
Canard, Pourcel, Grant, Reed and Tickle should all retire and free up some rides for 2018. Yes, you were all fast at one time..... Nobody cares...

Your comments contradict one another. If they all retire for others to take their rides, will nobody get 9th-22nd? Using your logic, should we just have 3-5 people on the starting gate? No thanks.
wanglimp
1/11/2017 11:55am
In contrast to pretty much any other career field, SX/MX riders don't have very long careers racing before they retire. So who cares, if they can still get in the main after 30 years of racing I think that's cool. What do we normally get out of these guys on average. I haven't done any research but I'm going to guess maybe 15 years after turning pro. Even then that's around 32 or 33 years old, so the average is more than likely lower.
IWreckALot
1/11/2017 12:16pm

USMCMXer wrote:
Your comments contradict one another. If they all retire for others to take their rides, will nobody get 9th-22nd? Using your logic, should we just have...
Your comments contradict one another. If they all retire for others to take their rides, will nobody get 9th-22nd? Using your logic, should we just have 3-5 people on the starting gate? No thanks.
Yeah well, that's just like, your opinion man.

colorado2day
1/11/2017 12:41pm
You vitards are really something. Wouldnt you rather watch somebody else get a chance next year rather than the guys mentioned ? You complain about lack of rides, say retire and your mind blown ?
Those guys have had their glory
Skidaddle
1/11/2017 12:46pm
Because alot of these guys have no other interests or the money to pursue.

I mean, most of these guys have barely even a truck. I remember Ivan Tedesco at one time had no way to take a bike to the test track. WTF? Really? I think Watson said he had to go get him.

On the other hand, in the winter, 100,000 people go to the desert with 300K in Truck, 5th wheels and toys and actually are more prepared to go racing than 90% of the guys at a SX or national and work normal jobs.

hvaughn88
1/11/2017 12:48pm
I've never been a professional athlete, but one of the things I miss the most about team sports is just being around my teammates. Those were some really good times. Just hanging out with your guys, joking around, shooting the shit, and then getting to play a sport you love is tough to replicate. And that's doing it for free.
colorado2day
1/11/2017 1:04pm
J Mart, Plessinger, McElrath, Mookie and Wilson will all need rides in the future. Where do you suggest those rides come from iWreckalot ?
c0ncEpT
1/11/2017 1:16pm
Colorado2day. You don't think that if the teams thought they could get better results for a better price out of these up and coming guys they wouldn't? Teams hire riders. Not the other way around....
colorado2day
1/11/2017 1:24pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
Colorado2day. You don't think that if the teams thought they could get better results for a better price out of these up and coming guys they...
Colorado2day. You don't think that if the teams thought they could get better results for a better price out of these up and coming guys they wouldn't? Teams hire riders. Not the other way around....
Guys coming out of 250s need somewhere to go. They all cant have 250 careers like Davalos.
USMCMXer
1/11/2017 1:48pm
You vitards are really something. Wouldnt you rather watch somebody else get a chance next year rather than the guys mentioned ? You complain about lack...
You vitards are really something. Wouldnt you rather watch somebody else get a chance next year rather than the guys mentioned ? You complain about lack of rides, say retire and your mind blown ?
Those guys have had their glory
You're funny! Please keep posting, you know since you're not a Vitard and all. Seriously though, there will be room for the majority of riders teams feel can give them the best shot at success. This year is a bit weird, but rarely do deserving riders not figure out a way to go racing.
MXMattii
1/11/2017 1:55pm
slipdog wrote:
Motocross is life, the end.
It is crazy that I gonna say this, but it is true. Because most pro sport stars are doing their sports from very young their career is strangled with their daily live. Also because they spent more time then an average person 'working' they have almost no 'friends' outside the sport. So retiring means for a lot of them creating a new social life. It is also not that crazy that people like Villopoto, Everts, Smets, McGrath, ... are staying in the sport. That is a way to keep in touch with the people they know, with the people they like to hang out with.

Post a reply to: Why is it so hard to retire??

The Latest