Why is everyone so “against” ebikes?

Mx746
3/23/2019 8:18pm
It’s like going to a concert where they only have a laser show and no music. Have you watched formula E? It’s just wrong not having that formula scream. With mx it’s 2 less senses available to enjoy the sport ( sound/smell)
3/23/2019 8:54pm
agn5009 wrote:
Last I checked, they went out of business after a few short years. they’re obviously not as popular as they wanted to be. I do think...
Last I checked, they went out of business after a few short years. they’re obviously not as popular as they wanted to be. I do think there’s a place for E bikes and I’m sure they will find success in the future but it’s hilarious when people blast others who don’t want one.
Ok. Still standing behind my estimate those who hate on Alta haven’t ridden an Alta. I’ve ridden one and it was AWESOME. All my friends who rode one- they loved it. Guess how much we missed the sound? NONE.
3/24/2019 5:36am
They need to have speakers on both sides of the motor with a usb port so you can play your favorite dubstep tracks from a thumb...
They need to have speakers on both sides of the motor with a usb port so you can play your favorite dubstep tracks from a thumb drive.
Sluggo77 wrote:
If the lack of sound is such a big deal, why not!! The technology to do so is at hand and not too heavy. The speaker...
If the lack of sound is such a big deal, why not!! The technology to do so is at hand and not too heavy. The speaker can be shaped to look just like an expansion chamber. 4 options on your audio control handle bar switch: Stealth, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, after ride favorite music mix. Everyone is happy.
That has to be one of the most cheese ball things I've ever heard. These are racing machines and you guys are literally talking about having...
That has to be one of the most cheese ball things I've ever heard. These are racing machines and you guys are literally talking about having fake engine noises. Here's an idea, get an engine.
Laughing My post wasnt to be taken seriously
chrisg19
Fantasy
4437th
3/24/2019 8:13am
Mx746 wrote:
It’s like going to a concert where they only have a laser show and no music. Have you watched formula E? It’s just wrong not having...
It’s like going to a concert where they only have a laser show and no music. Have you watched formula E? It’s just wrong not having that formula scream. With mx it’s 2 less senses available to enjoy the sport ( sound/smell)
That’s a good point. They may not be great to watch, because you are missing the loud engine noise, race atmosphere. But for the rider it is awesome. I have an Alta, and I never thought much of them until I rode one. They really are great to ride.

The Shop

face biter
3/24/2019 8:51am
RandyS wrote:
I hate only having the sound of chain slap and the whine of the motor. I think they need to have a system putting out sound...
I hate only having the sound of chain slap and the whine of the motor. I think they need to have a system putting out sound, it doesn't be as loud as a 4 stroke or even a quiet 2 stroke but something. And you should be able to choose different sounds and levels. I would so run mine on Jetsons.
I’ve had the same thought about the jetsons sound.
It would be a blast to select the sound depending on your mood, maybe top fuel dragster one ride, Briggs & Stratton the next ( including a nice backfire every time you chopped the rheostat ).
SCR
3/24/2019 9:54am
So e bikes will open up riding areas and urban mx tracks because they are quite and don't have tail pipe emmissions.
Then add fake motor noises . And fill the parking lot of the urban mx track with 50 cheapo Harbor Freight 102db gas burning generators.
Nuffsaid
3/24/2019 10:05am
New Ebike rule, riders have to make engine noise. 2t or 4t up to the disgression of the rider. No mixing of engine noises during race. If you start as a 2t you must use that engine noise all race.
Dropbear
3/24/2019 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2019 12:12pm
bsharkey
3/24/2019 12:26pm
How can anyone not think this is awesome. in the bigger picture you have bikes that are quiet which will keep more riding areas open. because we all know noise is the number one killer of our sport.
3/24/2019 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2019 2:29pm
This 2009 article about the controversy generated by Zach Osborne's family owned tracks in Abingdon, Va. - not far from where I live - is well worth a read:

https://www.heraldcourier.com/news/washington-county-va-supervisors-puz…

This goes to show how hard it was, even ten years ago, to ride dirt bikes - let alone raise a future motocross champion - if you live in a relatively population dense region of the country like Zach or me. And these trends are far from reversing.

Ebikes are a great solution for people who want to enjoy or practice riding but don't have the luxury of being miles away from civilization to do so. Are they perfect? No. But it's a work in progress that's well worth continuing work on.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
3/24/2019 2:17pm
This 2009 article about the controversy generated by Zach Osborne's family owned tracks in Abingdon, Va. - not far from where I live - is well...
This 2009 article about the controversy generated by Zach Osborne's family owned tracks in Abingdon, Va. - not far from where I live - is well worth a read:

This goes to show how hard it was, even ten years ago, to ride dirt bikes - let alone raise a future motocross champion - if you live in a relatively population dense region of the country like Zach or me. And these trends are far from reversing.

Ebikes are a great solution for people who want to enjoy or practice riding but don't have the luxury of being miles away from civilization to do so. Are they perfect? No. But it's a work in progress that's well worth continuing work on.
I tried to read the article, but link didnt work
3/24/2019 2:28pm
This 2009 article about the controversy generated by Zach Osborne's family owned tracks in Abingdon, Va. - not far from where I live - is well...

Tarz483 wrote:
Sorry about that. Not sure how to fix, so here's the full text:

Washington County, Va., supervisors puzzle over how to handle motorcycle track complaints

Debra Mccown Oct 28, 2009

ABINGDON, Va. – The Washington County Board of Supervisors discussed noise ordinances, zoning and business permits Tuesday in trying to resolve conflict over a motorcycle racing track on Providence Road.

A group of residents was present at the start of the meeting, and two spoke during public comment about the track, which they said has been disturbing their rural peace for seven years.

At the end of the meeting, long after the residents left, the supervisors discussed the issue for an hour before voting 7-0 to direct County Attorney Lucy Phillips to report back to the board on the best legal avenue to pursue.

“You cannot take agricultural land and do this, and I don’t know how this has been allowed to happen,” said Supervisor Paul Price, who raised the issue at a previous meeting and noted Tuesday that motorcross is not a permitted use in agricultural zones.

"They’re using this as a commercial training ground,” Price said. “It has three different motorcross training facilities ... and they just can’t do that with all these people around and the church out here.”

He said such a facility could exist where the topography would prevent the noise from going anywhere but up.

“I think this is a serious problem for the people that live there,” Supervisor Dulcie Mumpower said. “We’ve got to find a way that we can give those people some relief.”

Phillips said she is attending a conference this week that includes a seminar noise ordinances, and the board voted to await her recommendation on how to proceed following that conference.

Everybody on the board struggles with landowners’ rights,” Supervisor Jack McCrady said, “but it’s quite obvious there’s a major problem here.”

Roxanne Holloway, who said her family’s property adjoins the track, told the board that her husband and son work the night shift and need to sleep during the day – but can’t because of the noise.

“I’m not exaggerating when I tell you it’s like being at a NASCAR event even when it’s only one or two riders,” Holloway said. “There’s no way to go outside and enjoy a barbecue or just sit on the porch and have any kind of enjoyment.”

She said horses in the community are too traumatized by the noise to breed, babies are unable to nap, church services and funerals have been disrupted and homes have lost value because as many as 20 motorcycles are regularly running on the track.

“We want our peace and our land value back,” Holloway said, “and we think the county should enforce the codes they have set.”

Mark Osborne, who owns the property, said it’s not the first time neighbors have complained, but he’s already been to court with them and the court took no action against him.

“My son is a professional athlete,” Osborne said. “He uses that track as a tool to train and become a professional.”

On Oct. 19 the Bristol Herald Courier featured another professional motorcross competitor who uses the track, a native of Washington state who, the newspaper reported, stays in a motorhome and undergoes a five-day weekly training regimen.

Osborne said another neighbor – one of several who like what he’s doing with his property – warned him about Tuesday’s meeting.

I’ve tried to be a good neighbor,” Osborne said. “I don’t know what else to say to make everybody happy. I think as a taxpayer we have a right there ourselves, and if there’s anything we can do to ease the pain of anybody I’m willing to do that.”

Kimberly Osborne, his wife, said the track is used just a small percentage of the time – and no one is riding during church.

Another neighbor who spoke at the meeting, Mike Overstreet, said the noise is “unbearable.”

“When they ride my property is worthless,” he said. “When they’re not riding, it’s paradise.”
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
3/24/2019 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2019 2:36pm

Tarz483 wrote:
Never mind it worked
Thats wild , they must have won that battle , because thats now still a training facility right.
Dropbear
3/24/2019 2:42pm
If it was only the sweet sound of a 500cc 2 stroke.
3/24/2019 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2019 2:44pm

Tarz483 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
Never mind it worked
Thats wild , they must have won that battle , because thats now still a training facility right.
Sure is! And of course Abingdon has changed its tune given that Zach is now a multi-time SX/MX champion. But what a lot of shit his family had to go through to get him there! Pinch
sandtrack315
3/24/2019 3:25pm
The same reason people hate on the Honda Ridgeline, even if they only haul dirt bikes. Men just lack the masculinity these days to buy something that makes sense but isn’t as big / loud / traditional.
Doddy
3/24/2019 3:43pm
The same reason people hate on the Honda Ridgeline, even if they only haul dirt bikes. Men just lack the masculinity these days to buy something...
The same reason people hate on the Honda Ridgeline, even if they only haul dirt bikes. Men just lack the masculinity these days to buy something that makes sense but isn’t as big / loud / traditional.
Lack of masculinity?? The Rigeline makes sense? Someone has jokes.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
3/24/2019 4:18pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
Never mind it worked
Sure is! And of course Abingdon has changed its tune given that Zach is now a multi-time SX/MX champion. But what a lot of shit his...
Sure is! And of course Abingdon has changed its tune given that Zach is now a multi-time SX/MX champion. But what a lot of shit his family had to go through to get him there! Pinch
Wich place is it now ? Sob?
The osbournes dont own it anymore right ?
Camp332
3/24/2019 6:07pm
Dude, I'm into the idea of an electric dirtbike, and will buy one when the toy budget gets a deposit. First and foremost, I'll always have an internal combustion dirtbike first.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/24/2019 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2019 6:51pm
Tell me again how electric will help us riders... People that don’t ride don’t care. No noise? They will go after the fact that we “destroy the land” and the precious bushes, trees and plants that grow ALL OVER THE PLACE. Had this argument with someone on Facebook today and they were pissed about people riding on a hill with an already cut in trail! No flowers or bushes on the trail, but a lot off to the side. They still hate us on bikes whether they can hear us or not. I personally believe some of you are putting way to much faith into electric opening up more areas for us.
Alex.434
3/24/2019 10:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2019 10:09pm
Why is it so hard to understand different bikes have different uses.

When I want to go ride MX: Husqvarna TC250 two stroke
When I want to go on long adventures: KTM 525 EXC with mega tank
When I want to go fast: Yamaha R1 street/track bike
When I want to cruise to the bike night: my project Honda Hawk
When I want to get slideways: the supermoto comes out

and when I want to rip the yard lap at the house, or ride any offroad under 35 miles: the Alta is the go to pick. Like today, putting in a bitchin' offroad ride, exploring new trails, getting lost a bit, and generally having a blast. Did 35 miles and was out in the hills for about 3.5 - 4 hours (did I mention we got lost finding new trails a bit?) Ran into 8 other gas powered riders, they were all jazzed on seeing the electric out there.

Electrics will be part of our riding future. If you want one, and it fits one of your usage scenarios, BUY ONE. If you don't want one, then don't, but don't be a dick about it. Bikes are bikes and we need more people riding than less.

sandtrack315
3/25/2019 5:01am
The same reason people hate on the Honda Ridgeline, even if they only haul dirt bikes. Men just lack the masculinity these days to buy something...
Doddy wrote:
It rides the nicest and gets the best gas milage of any new truck you can haul bikes with. It also has a huge storage space / cooler under the bed and has the best interior cargo space of the smaller trucks.

Makes sense to me, just like an electric bike can if it's done right.
Doddy
3/25/2019 9:06am
Doddy wrote:
It rides the nicest and gets the best gas milage of any new truck you can haul bikes with. It also has a huge storage space...
It rides the nicest and gets the best gas milage of any new truck you can haul bikes with. It also has a huge storage space / cooler under the bed and has the best interior cargo space of the smaller trucks.

I'm not going to rip into Ridgelines, but no it does not drive the best and for the price is to high compared to others for what you get. Lacking masculinity surely isn't the reason some of us wont drive those things lol. No, I didnt buy my truck at trucks, trucks, trucks and no I dont have a lift kit for what its worth.
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
3/25/2019 9:17am
One word. Testosterone
sandtrack315
3/25/2019 9:33am
Doddy wrote:
It rides the nicest and gets the best gas milage of any new truck you can haul bikes with. It also has a huge storage space...

Doddy wrote:
I'm not going to rip into Ridgelines, but no it does not drive the best and for the price is to high compared to others for...
I'm not going to rip into Ridgelines, but no it does not drive the best and for the price is to high compared to others for what you get. Lacking masculinity surely isn't the reason some of us wont drive those things lol. No, I didnt buy my truck at trucks, trucks, trucks and no I dont have a lift kit for what its worth.
I found it to be comparable to the Colorado and cheaper than the Tacoma for the same options, but I was buying new and didn't want a lower trim. Used ones are really hard to find for a reasonable price, but that's a good thing if you're an owner. I also think its drives a lot nicer, but that's just me (and maybe the shitty Philly streets where a single rear axle will hop all over the place).

Anyways, I think we can agree there is a similar vibe that makes people irrationally not like the Ridgeline (at least as much as they should) and e-bikes.
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/25/2019 9:35am
1/8 buggies is the main off road RC class that has both nitro and electric variants. Nobody gives a fuck about electric, while on the other...
1/8 buggies is the main off road RC class that has both nitro and electric variants. Nobody gives a fuck about electric, while on the other hand, the 1/8 nitro buggy world championship is probably the most prestigious of all RC racing world wide. Guess what, the electric cars are faster now and electric power has been around for like 40 years in that industry. Nobody cares. It’s boring and easy.
1/10 electric rc is the bread and butter of the industry that introduces new participants and keeps the weekend warrior around with moderatley priced kits and electronics and drastically reduced maintenance compared to nitro. This is also the most important indoor class which holds a very important place in the industry as well.
3/25/2019 9:37am
Sluggo77 wrote:
If the lack of sound is such a big deal, why not!! The technology to do so is at hand and not too heavy. The speaker...
If the lack of sound is such a big deal, why not!! The technology to do so is at hand and not too heavy. The speaker can be shaped to look just like an expansion chamber. 4 options on your audio control handle bar switch: Stealth, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, after ride favorite music mix. Everyone is happy.
That has to be one of the most cheese ball things I've ever heard. These are racing machines and you guys are literally talking about having...
That has to be one of the most cheese ball things I've ever heard. These are racing machines and you guys are literally talking about having fake engine noises. Here's an idea, get an engine.
Laughing My post wasnt to be taken seriously
I know yours wasn't but can't say the same about Sluggo.
steveada
3/25/2019 10:43am
What good is a silent, non-CO emitting bike when you have 50 generators droning on in the parking lot to charge the batteries? Also, there is a huge number of riders that are out riding trails, not an mx track. The bikes are not practical if your idea of riding is hours cruising trails instead of a 15 minute moto. They are cool but the overall technology and infrastructure to support them is just not there yet.
sandtrack315
3/25/2019 11:34am
steveada wrote:
What good is a silent, non-CO emitting bike when you have 50 generators droning on in the parking lot to charge the batteries? Also, there is...
What good is a silent, non-CO emitting bike when you have 50 generators droning on in the parking lot to charge the batteries? Also, there is a huge number of riders that are out riding trails, not an mx track. The bikes are not practical if your idea of riding is hours cruising trails instead of a 15 minute moto. They are cool but the overall technology and infrastructure to support them is just not there yet.
Of course the infrastructure is not there to support it yet--the bikes don't exist. There were not charging stations for electric cars before there were electric cars. However, solar, wind, & natural gas can all power these bikes when the time is right.

I agree that it's not ideal to be able to only ride for 30 minutes between charges. There will always be a tradeoff between power/weight/battery life, where combustion doesn't have that issue.

However, in the northeast, it would be pretty great to ride indoors in a heated / enclosed environment in the winter, and e-bikes make venting a non-issue. Or indoors in the summer when its 3-10 Celsius hotter in a few years...

Post a reply to: Why is everyone so “against” ebikes?

The Latest