Why is everyone so “against” ebikes?

Phildo
3/22/2019 9:39pm
Riding an ebike would be like driving a Prius hybrid around a racetrack.

Lovely and quiet, but the most challenging part is trying to stay awake.
3/22/2019 10:40pm
Phildo wrote:

The Alta MXR is definitely not a Prius Hybrid, bud.

I out accelerated a guy on a 19 KX450 down the start straight at Glen Helen on my MXR :

BAMX
3/22/2019 10:46pm
I've owned my Alta MXR since August 2018. I also own a '15 KX450 and a 2004 KX125. Here's my take: 1. The general motocross community...
I've owned my Alta MXR since August 2018. I also own a '15 KX450 and a 2004 KX125. Here's my take:

1. The general motocross community thinks nothing is better than what they have. People are so used to the normal ICE and everything that surrounds it. The fact of the matter is the general motocross community doesn't ride anything other than the bike they currently own, and thus their opinions are not based on actual testing of various brands, bike types, etc. "My suspension is fantastic" - Joe Motocross who owns a 15 year old 2 stroke and rolls jumps on the vet track, for example.

2. Smell, sound, blah blah blah. You may say that now, but you get over it quickly. In fact, I've realized that quiet bikes allow you to concentrate more on your riding. Noise, especially super loud noise, clogs your mind. I wear ear plugs when i ride my gas bikes and it allows me to focus more and keeps my mind clear.

3. "But, i need my clutch and gears!". This is only necessary because your gas bike has an engine that produces a power curve, and you need to rev the engine and switch gears to be in the sweet spot. Goes back to my first point... people have been so used to using a clutch and shifting gears that anything else is weird. The fact is, AC electric motors (like in the Alta) produce max torque right at 0rpm, and the torque curve is so flat that no shifting or clutching is required.... you're essentially always in the right gear and in the right part of (ICE equivalent) power band. Just like a 4 stroke can bail you out of mistakes you make compared to a 2 stroke, the electric power plant does that even moreso than a 4 stroke. Oh, and you never have to worry about stalling it, either!

4. Everyone always assumes electric is slow and gutless. They think of golf karts and the like. The Alta MXR specifically is nothing like a golf kart. It has so much torque that i can wheelie on command at the extra twist of my right hand, yet its so controllable and manageable at the same time. My right hand is connected to the rear tire.

Now on to my personal anecdotes:

First off, every person who was skeptical before i let them ride my Alta came off the with a smile on their face and were just plain shocked at how well it performs. People just need to experience it first hand. 2 people I've let ride my bike went off and purchased an MXR of their own, both were skeptical before riding it.

Electric power is so awesome on a motocross track, dare i say PERFECT for motocross. And it's safer in the sense that you'll always be in the right "gear" and have the power to do what you want. You'll make less mistakes, and any mistakes you do make can easily be corrected.

Due to nearly 0 inertia from the powerplant, electric bikes are very nimble and don't do anything funky. On my gas bikes i'll get weird kicks and just a sense of instability at times. Now I've been striving to make my gas bikes as stable as my Alta.

The lack of noise... i'm able to ride in areas i would never think about riding in with one of my gas bike, and NOONE cares that i do it. Its really the noise that people care most about. "Out of sound, out of mind" kinda thing.

Since i don't have to think about clutching, shifting, don't have a loud engine to clog my mind, and have smooth strong power on tap, i'm able to focus on the fundamentals of riding.

In my entire riding experience of over 25 years, i've never made such large strides in my speed and skill level in a short amount of time as i have when riding my Alta. It single-handedly has improved my riding skill and, everything else aside, that in and of itself is worth it.
STLSharky wrote:
wrong in soo many ways, if it aint sound it's dust. Bottom line people dont like bikes or you having fun on bikes. Sound in stadium...
wrong in soo many ways, if it aint sound it's dust. Bottom line people dont like bikes or you having fun on bikes.

Sound in stadium sounds great!

Smell walked into Indy last week, sweet smell of VP...

etc........
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Dust has always been something I bring it. People try to blow it off and say you can control dust, but that would mean they'd have...
Dust has always been something I bring it. People try to blow it off and say you can control dust, but that would mean they'd have to water the place constantly to make sure it doesn't become an issue, especially during summer months. Places like California that won't go over well and people will still find something to bitch about. They call us ground pounders and tell us that we destroy hill sides and threaten flowers, bushes and trees when we tear up the soil.
Anyone who mountain bikes has seen the stink eye from someone who looks like they fell out of the REI catalog. Just like bike guys hate quads, hikers seem to hate everyone on wheels.
3/23/2019 12:26am
STLSharky wrote:
wrong in soo many ways, if it aint sound it's dust. Bottom line people dont like bikes or you having fun on bikes. Sound in stadium...
wrong in soo many ways, if it aint sound it's dust. Bottom line people dont like bikes or you having fun on bikes.

Sound in stadium sounds great!

Smell walked into Indy last week, sweet smell of VP...

etc........
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Dust has always been something I bring it. People try to blow it off and say you can control dust, but that would mean they'd have...
Dust has always been something I bring it. People try to blow it off and say you can control dust, but that would mean they'd have to water the place constantly to make sure it doesn't become an issue, especially during summer months. Places like California that won't go over well and people will still find something to bitch about. They call us ground pounders and tell us that we destroy hill sides and threaten flowers, bushes and trees when we tear up the soil.
BAMX wrote:
Anyone who mountain bikes has seen the stink eye from someone who looks like they fell out of the REI catalog. Just like bike guys hate...
Anyone who mountain bikes has seen the stink eye from someone who looks like they fell out of the REI catalog. Just like bike guys hate quads, hikers seem to hate everyone on wheels.
If the silent e-volution is putting MX at risk, drag racing is doomed.

The Shop

3/23/2019 12:32am
I have said numerous times that I am a huge fan of the movement.
But I do understand each-to-their-own..
There are people that love Trucks like this and wouldn’t be caught dead in a Tesla haha

3/23/2019 12:45am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 12:46am
20 years from now they’ll be yellin the combustion engines will rise again outta that truck with vintage 2 strokes under that flag.

They’ll off load it at a track to some young cocky lad whose only ever rode electric. And he will be flabbergasted with the clutch thing. And keeping revs up.....it will be pure comedy to watch. Then that lads grandpa will be like “lemme show you pussies how to ride”. It’ll be a real life earl. 15 minutes later cops show up guns drawn because of the noise.
RCF
3/23/2019 6:56am
They will never catch on as long as the battery life is so short. I think more people ride Offroad than they do MX.
3/23/2019 7:23am
Sure I would love every track to stay full of noisey ICE bikes, it’s part of mx....sadly it’s also one of major tools that people use to get tracks shut down.
If electric bikes mean I have somewhere to ride locally then I’m all for it
LoudLove
3/23/2019 8:37am
Reverse engineer the situation: if e-bikes were the norm, would anyone invest in this "new" ICE technology? Louder, significantly more maintenance, gears & clutch dynamics, fuel and oil requirements. Lets face it, we love the noise and shifting because it's what we know. It's also a step backwards from where Alta was heading.

Once cost and ride durations are on par with today's bikes, game over.
3/23/2019 8:41am
Not against them, I sold my MX bike years ago, but will buy an Electric MX bike when they are more available/less expensive. Excited for them
SwingHard
3/23/2019 9:13am
I've owned my Alta MXR since August 2018. I also own a '15 KX450 and a 2004 KX125. Here's my take: 1. The general motocross community...
I've owned my Alta MXR since August 2018. I also own a '15 KX450 and a 2004 KX125. Here's my take:

1. The general motocross community thinks nothing is better than what they have. People are so used to the normal ICE and everything that surrounds it. The fact of the matter is the general motocross community doesn't ride anything other than the bike they currently own, and thus their opinions are not based on actual testing of various brands, bike types, etc. "My suspension is fantastic" - Joe Motocross who owns a 15 year old 2 stroke and rolls jumps on the vet track, for example.

2. Smell, sound, blah blah blah. You may say that now, but you get over it quickly. In fact, I've realized that quiet bikes allow you to concentrate more on your riding. Noise, especially super loud noise, clogs your mind. I wear ear plugs when i ride my gas bikes and it allows me to focus more and keeps my mind clear.

3. "But, i need my clutch and gears!". This is only necessary because your gas bike has an engine that produces a power curve, and you need to rev the engine and switch gears to be in the sweet spot. Goes back to my first point... people have been so used to using a clutch and shifting gears that anything else is weird. The fact is, AC electric motors (like in the Alta) produce max torque right at 0rpm, and the torque curve is so flat that no shifting or clutching is required.... you're essentially always in the right gear and in the right part of (ICE equivalent) power band. Just like a 4 stroke can bail you out of mistakes you make compared to a 2 stroke, the electric power plant does that even moreso than a 4 stroke. Oh, and you never have to worry about stalling it, either!

4. Everyone always assumes electric is slow and gutless. They think of golf karts and the like. The Alta MXR specifically is nothing like a golf kart. It has so much torque that i can wheelie on command at the extra twist of my right hand, yet its so controllable and manageable at the same time. My right hand is connected to the rear tire.

Now on to my personal anecdotes:

First off, every person who was skeptical before i let them ride my Alta came off the with a smile on their face and were just plain shocked at how well it performs. People just need to experience it first hand. 2 people I've let ride my bike went off and purchased an MXR of their own, both were skeptical before riding it.

Electric power is so awesome on a motocross track, dare i say PERFECT for motocross. And it's safer in the sense that you'll always be in the right "gear" and have the power to do what you want. You'll make less mistakes, and any mistakes you do make can easily be corrected.

Due to nearly 0 inertia from the powerplant, electric bikes are very nimble and don't do anything funky. On my gas bikes i'll get weird kicks and just a sense of instability at times. Now I've been striving to make my gas bikes as stable as my Alta.

The lack of noise... i'm able to ride in areas i would never think about riding in with one of my gas bike, and NOONE cares that i do it. Its really the noise that people care most about. "Out of sound, out of mind" kinda thing.

Since i don't have to think about clutching, shifting, don't have a loud engine to clog my mind, and have smooth strong power on tap, i'm able to focus on the fundamentals of riding.

In my entire riding experience of over 25 years, i've never made such large strides in my speed and skill level in a short amount of time as i have when riding my Alta. It single-handedly has improved my riding skill and, everything else aside, that in and of itself is worth it.
This is spot on! I've done two demo days on Altas, a total of six laps. And I gotta say, those six laps may have been the easiest and smoothest six laps in my 49 years of racing/riding moto. I was amazed at how well that bike worked!
rikhek
3/23/2019 9:29am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 9:37am
This sport is full of people who hate change on principal.
People in general do not like change. It's human nature, we get into our comfort zone and like putting the cruise control on.

I won't consider an ebike because in their current phase they're a novelty and don't allow me to ride as I ride. I'm a professional practice rider who rides 4 - 30 minute motos with 30 minute breaks in between. The don't have the battery capacity or ability to recharge in 30 minutes to allow me to do what I do. The technology doesn't exist at this time to offer me a product that will perform as I require.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/23/2019 9:47am
Phildo wrote:

The Alta MXR is definitely not a Prius Hybrid, bud. I out accelerated a guy on a 19 KX450 down the start straight at Glen Helen...

I out accelerated a guy on a 19 KX450 down the start straight at Glen Helen on my MXR :

I mean this in a complimentary way to you, but you alone were faster, not the bike. You were willing to grab more of a handful than the guy on the kawi, and it’s pretty obvious. You’re a good rider no matter what bike you’re on and I’m pretty sure you would have done the same thing on your 125.
crt32
3/23/2019 10:11am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 10:13am
E Bikes are not Motocross. Period. Flame Away. In my opinion it changes the sport entirely, that one could classify it as another sport.
-No Clutch
-No Shifting
-No opportunity to have your motor tuned better than the competition (tune as in jetting, flywheel etc).
-plus other things

Everyone acts like E bikes will solve problems related to riding areas. It won't change a thing, people will still get hurt, so lawsuits will remain. Complaints will be filed about dirt, rubber tires, plastic tear offs etc.

Building the electric battery and then disposing of once old causes more environmental damage than a combustion engine but at least you can tell your buddies how green you are and how you're making a difference. But then you'll wake up and see it was never about the climate but about controlling society.

All for innovation and technology, but classify it as a different sport or class within Motocross.

And we didn't even discuss cost for new families wanting to order the sport...

3/23/2019 10:17am
crt32 wrote:
E Bikes are not Motocross. Period. Flame Away. In my opinion it changes the sport entirely, that one could classify it as another sport. -No Clutch...
E Bikes are not Motocross. Period. Flame Away. In my opinion it changes the sport entirely, that one could classify it as another sport.
-No Clutch
-No Shifting
-No opportunity to have your motor tuned better than the competition (tune as in jetting, flywheel etc).
-plus other things

Everyone acts like E bikes will solve problems related to riding areas. It won't change a thing, people will still get hurt, so lawsuits will remain. Complaints will be filed about dirt, rubber tires, plastic tear offs etc.

Building the electric battery and then disposing of once old causes more environmental damage than a combustion engine but at least you can tell your buddies how green you are and how you're making a difference. But then you'll wake up and see it was never about the climate but about controlling society.

All for innovation and technology, but classify it as a different sport or class within Motocross.

There is no tuning of electric RC cars? Slipper clutches don’t exist already? You couldnt program the electrics to ride a power curve like an ICE?
Name it what you want, but they will be on the same mx tracks getting around faster than ICE bikes...people will buy them.
nickm
3/23/2019 12:42pm
crt32 wrote:
E Bikes are not Motocross. Period. Flame Away. In my opinion it changes the sport entirely, that one could classify it as another sport. -No Clutch...
-No Clutch
-No Shifting
-plus other things

I think it just opens up completely different tuning opportunities. Think of the gazillion combinations of throttle response and torque outputs that one would be able to code into the software. They could probably build a single bike and have software adjustable power outputs to make it the equivalent of a 125/250/450 with a simple toggle.

I'm not saying I'm in love with e-bikes, but noise has killed the sport. quiet bikes will be a game changer...nobody gives a shit about a silent bike on a track/bush/backyard. Try and start a 450 in suburbia and the cops show up only because of the noise. I'd love to see the equivalent of a Honda 50 or CR80 ebike and lets see the mini bikes everywhere again.
3/23/2019 1:04pm
Everyone that says they don’t like them that has never ridden one. Nobody that owns one hates it.

We’re talking haves and have nots. Those whom don’t have, will shit talk those that do.

Get over the god damn sound. Who cares if watching races is boring when watching races is ALREADY boring.

Go race.
mikec265
3/23/2019 1:12pm
crt32 wrote:
-No Clutch
-No Shifting
-plus other things

nickm wrote:
I think it just opens up completely different tuning opportunities. Think of the gazillion combinations of throttle response and torque outputs that one would be able...
I think it just opens up completely different tuning opportunities. Think of the gazillion combinations of throttle response and torque outputs that one would be able to code into the software. They could probably build a single bike and have software adjustable power outputs to make it the equivalent of a 125/250/450 with a simple toggle.

I'm not saying I'm in love with e-bikes, but noise has killed the sport. quiet bikes will be a game changer...nobody gives a shit about a silent bike on a track/bush/backyard. Try and start a 450 in suburbia and the cops show up only because of the noise. I'd love to see the equivalent of a Honda 50 or CR80 ebike and lets see the mini bikes everywhere again.
There's a bunch of slower and faster 50cc equivalents out from China, GasGas/Torrot, Beta, Stacyc, Oset, Kuberg, And coming out from KTM/Husky, and Yamaha. I have yet to see a 65 or 85cc sized bike yet, but the tech is definitely already in existence. As a mini dad they can't get here fast enough. If we can't race them, we'll just ride practice until they are accepted.
agn5009
3/23/2019 4:49pm
Everyone that says they don’t like them that has never ridden one. Nobody that owns one hates it. We’re talking haves and have nots. Those whom...
Everyone that says they don’t like them that has never ridden one. Nobody that owns one hates it.

We’re talking haves and have nots. Those whom don’t have, will shit talk those that do.

Get over the god damn sound. Who cares if watching races is boring when watching races is ALREADY boring.

Go race.
Last I checked, they went out of business after a few short years. they’re obviously not as popular as they wanted to be. I do think there’s a place for E bikes and I’m sure they will find success in the future but it’s hilarious when people blast others who don’t want one.
RandyS
3/23/2019 5:01pm
I hate only having the sound of chain slap and the whine of the motor. I think they need to have a system putting out sound, it doesn't be as loud as a 4 stroke or even a quiet 2 stroke but something. And you should be able to choose different sounds and levels. I would so run mine on Jetsons.
3/23/2019 5:06pm
crt32 wrote:
-No Clutch
-No Shifting
-plus other things

There is no tuning of electric RC cars? Slipper clutches don’t exist already? You couldnt program the electrics to ride a power curve like an ICE...
There is no tuning of electric RC cars? Slipper clutches don’t exist already? You couldnt program the electrics to ride a power curve like an ICE?
Name it what you want, but they will be on the same mx tracks getting around faster than ICE bikes...people will buy them.
1/8 buggies is the main off road RC class that has both nitro and electric variants. Nobody gives a fuck about electric, while on the other hand, the 1/8 nitro buggy world championship is probably the most prestigious of all RC racing world wide. Guess what, the electric cars are faster now and electric power has been around for like 40 years in that industry. Nobody cares. It’s boring and easy.
3/23/2019 5:26pm
crt32 wrote:
-No Clutch
-No Shifting
-plus other things

There is no tuning of electric RC cars? Slipper clutches don’t exist already? You couldnt program the electrics to ride a power curve like an ICE...
1/8 buggies is the main off road RC class that has both nitro and electric variants. Nobody gives a fuck about electric, while on the other...
1/8 buggies is the main off road RC class that has both nitro and electric variants. Nobody gives a fuck about electric, while on the other hand, the 1/8 nitro buggy world championship is probably the most prestigious of all RC racing world wide. Guess what, the electric cars are faster now and electric power has been around for like 40 years in that industry. Nobody cares. It’s boring and easy.
So...you agree plenty of tuning ability and more speed possible with the electric. ICE mx bikes won’t be around very long when mx tracks start running electric only days
3/23/2019 5:55pm
They need to have speakers on both sides of the motor with a usb port so you can play your favorite dubstep tracks from a thumb drive.
Drtbykr
3/23/2019 6:03pm
No rubble or noise. Electric motors are supposed to be for golf carts, not MX bikes.

No avoiding, power will be straight send perfect.

Range is a problem as well, would be for me.
3/23/2019 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 8:22pm
So...you agree plenty of tuning ability and more speed possible with the electric. ICE mx bikes won’t be around very long when mx tracks start running...
So...you agree plenty of tuning ability and more speed possible with the electric. ICE mx bikes won’t be around very long when mx tracks start running electric only days
Electric will not replace ICE bikes for the same reasons nobody cares about Formula E. Bikes are fast enough already. Maybe too fast. They could be even faster if they didn't have to fit a specific set of rules like E-bikes. E-bikes don't fit a class. They are getting as much out of them as possible to be close to on par with a 450 and they still have their downfalls like run time, which does not affect an ICE whatsoever. Could easily add bore and/or stroke to make a faster ICE bike. I don't think that electric bikes couldn't be better, because they absolutely could be some day.
Sluggo77
3/23/2019 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2019 6:36pm
They need to have speakers on both sides of the motor with a usb port so you can play your favorite dubstep tracks from a thumb...
They need to have speakers on both sides of the motor with a usb port so you can play your favorite dubstep tracks from a thumb drive.
If the lack of sound is such a big deal, why not!! The technology to do so is at hand and not too heavy. The speaker can be shaped to look just like an expansion chamber. 4 options on your audio control handle bar switch: Stealth, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, after ride favorite music mix. Everyone is happy.
3/23/2019 6:34pm
They need to have speakers on both sides of the motor with a usb port so you can play your favorite dubstep tracks from a thumb...
Sluggo77 wrote:
If the lack of sound is such a big deal, why not!! The technology to do so is at hand and not too heavy. The speaker...
If the lack of sound is such a big deal, why not!! The technology to do so is at hand and not too heavy. The speaker can be shaped to look just like an expansion chamber. 4 options on your audio control handle bar switch: Stealth, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, after ride favorite music mix. Everyone is happy.
That has to be one of the most cheese ball things I've ever heard. These are racing machines and you guys are literally talking about having fake engine noises. Here's an idea, get an engine.
Moto man
3/23/2019 6:35pm
The Alta MXR is definitely not a Prius Hybrid, bud. I out accelerated a guy on a 19 KX450 down the start straight at Glen Helen...

You're crediting the bike when you out accelerated an out of shape vet rider in the novice class who is in 2nd gear down a straight? How many Alta's are in the intermediate and pro classes?
Nuffsaid
3/23/2019 7:03pm
Because they’re too loud..... no wait, because they are too quiet...now I’m confused
Dropbear
3/23/2019 7:58pm
I’m looking forward to E MX’ers becoming readily available. Method of propulsion doesn’t bother me, it’s the 2 wheel bit I like.

Post a reply to: Why is everyone so “against” ebikes?

The Latest