Why is everyone so “against” ebikes?

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
3/22/2019 12:16pm
I’m all for e-bikes if they’re affordable. The Alta was ugly as sin and twice the price of the bike it was trying to be as good as.

My sons have an electric oset which I take to our local, public parks to ride in the fields. I’m doing it as respectfully as I can, away from people, and my youngest is going barely fast enough to stay upright yet I still get bad looks from people. Some approach me and think it is cool but others feel like we shouldn’t be there which they’re technically right about. Whether it is gas powered or electric, motorized vehicles are prohibited almost everywhere that isn’t a road. People that have this vision of “urban” motocross and electric bikes opening up new places to ride are high.

Personally, I like older bikes BECAUSE they lack new technology. They’re slower and more difficult to ride but that character makes them more FUN! Constantly building a bike that can go around the track faster is great, I guess, for a professional race team but I’m 30 years old with 2 children, a mortgage, a career, etc. I don’t give a shit about a lap times during a race, I want the fun factor. I’d like to see the next generation of e-bikes be marketed as being fun and affordable.
PJRAUS
3/22/2019 12:41pm
Boomslang wrote:
I'm afraid of the day I sit down to watch a race and can hear the guy to my left fart whilst listening to the guys...
I'm afraid of the day I sit down to watch a race and can hear the guy to my left fart whilst listening to the guys to my right having a conversation...and on the floor the bikes sounding like a bunch of...slot cars...

Man, its sure going to take some getting used to.
I used to love the sound of slot car racing!

Doddy
3/22/2019 12:42pm
I am not "against" or hate them , but have zero interest. If they become the only option, I'm out.
PJRAUS
3/22/2019 12:46pm
I was planning on buying an Alta when it was announced that they would be coming to Australia.
I wont ever buy anything Honda makes but if Yamaha buils one,I'm in..

The Shop

Moto man
3/22/2019 1:21pm
PJRAUS wrote:
I was planning on buying an Alta when it was announced that they would be coming to Australia. I wont ever buy anything Honda makes but...
I was planning on buying an Alta when it was announced that they would be coming to Australia.
Why won’t you buy anything Honda?
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
3/22/2019 1:46pm
Doddy wrote:
I am not "against" or hate them , but have zero interest. If they become the only option, I'm out.
This is hilarious. If you don’t understand why, you’re a knucklehead.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
3/22/2019 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 2:03pm
Here is the real question..how fast do they make them? We see more injuries now than say 20 years ago...maybe its the bikes, the tracks, idk. Just seems like rider injuries for factory riders have gone up significantly since the mid 2000s.

So do they make them have the speed and torque of a 450, more, less? I would like to see speeds around that of a 125 or 250f. Personally, I think 450s are overkill, though im sure im in the minority there.

Id like to see great racing and less riders getting injured. Whether that means slowing bikes/ebikes down or changing the tracks whatever it takes. I beelieve the issue is due to the power of the bikes but of course the manufacturers and teams dont want to hear that and I cant prove it.
PJRAUS
3/22/2019 2:27pm
PJRAUS wrote:
I was planning on buying an Alta when it was announced that they would be coming to Australia. I wont ever buy anything Honda makes but...
Moto man wrote:
Why won’t you buy anything Honda?
I just dont like the company and their attitude...it goes back a long way...
3/22/2019 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 2:32pm
I've owned my Alta MXR since August 2018. I also own a '15 KX450 and a 2004 KX125. Here's my take:

1. The general motocross community thinks nothing is better than what they have. People are so used to the normal ICE and everything that surrounds it. The fact of the matter is the general motocross community doesn't ride anything other than the bike they currently own, and thus their opinions are not based on actual testing of various brands, bike types, etc. "My suspension is fantastic" - Joe Motocross who owns a 15 year old 2 stroke and rolls jumps on the vet track, for example.

2. Smell, sound, blah blah blah. You may say that now, but you get over it quickly. In fact, I've realized that quiet bikes allow you to concentrate more on your riding. Noise, especially super loud noise, clogs your mind. I wear ear plugs when i ride my gas bikes and it allows me to focus more and keeps my mind clear.

3. "But, i need my clutch and gears!". This is only necessary because your gas bike has an engine that produces a power curve, and you need to rev the engine and switch gears to be in the sweet spot. Goes back to my first point... people have been so used to using a clutch and shifting gears that anything else is weird. The fact is, AC electric motors (like in the Alta) produce max torque right at 0rpm, and the torque curve is so flat that no shifting or clutching is required.... you're essentially always in the right gear and in the right part of (ICE equivalent) power band. Just like a 4 stroke can bail you out of mistakes you make compared to a 2 stroke, the electric power plant does that even moreso than a 4 stroke. Oh, and you never have to worry about stalling it, either!

4. Everyone always assumes electric is slow and gutless. They think of golf karts and the like. The Alta MXR specifically is nothing like a golf kart. It has so much torque that i can wheelie on command at the extra twist of my right hand, yet its so controllable and manageable at the same time. My right hand is connected to the rear tire.

Now on to my personal anecdotes:

First off, every person who was skeptical before i let them ride my Alta came off the with a smile on their face and were just plain shocked at how well it performs. People just need to experience it first hand. 2 people I've let ride my bike went off and purchased an MXR of their own, both were skeptical before riding it.

Electric power is so awesome on a motocross track, dare i say PERFECT for motocross. And it's safer in the sense that you'll always be in the right "gear" and have the power to do what you want. You'll make less mistakes, and any mistakes you do make can easily be corrected.

Due to nearly 0 inertia from the powerplant, electric bikes are very nimble and don't do anything funky. On my gas bikes i'll get weird kicks and just a sense of instability at times. Now I've been striving to make my gas bikes as stable as my Alta.

The lack of noise... i'm able to ride in areas i would never think about riding in with one of my gas bike, and NOONE cares that i do it. Its really the noise that people care most about. "Out of sound, out of mind" kinda thing.

Since i don't have to think about clutching, shifting, don't have a loud engine to clog my mind, and have smooth strong power on tap, i'm able to focus on the fundamentals of riding.

In my entire riding experience of over 25 years, i've never made such large strides in my speed and skill level in a short amount of time as i have when riding my Alta. It single-handedly has improved my riding skill and, everything else aside, that in and of itself is worth it.
Fog 25
Fantasy
1553rd
3/22/2019 3:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 3:17pm
After riding an electric bike for over a year now I found out that E bikes are not for everybody they have their advantages and disadvantages.
For those of you who are crying about how they will ruin the sport make sure you have your box of tissues back at the truck when one goes silently by you. You can always claim the tears are from the roost of the E bike.
STLSharky
3/22/2019 3:30pm
They would have to cool thing could be every make has its own shriek!
STLSharky
3/22/2019 3:35pm
I've owned my Alta MXR since August 2018. I also own a '15 KX450 and a 2004 KX125. Here's my take: 1. The general motocross community...
I've owned my Alta MXR since August 2018. I also own a '15 KX450 and a 2004 KX125. Here's my take:

1. The general motocross community thinks nothing is better than what they have. People are so used to the normal ICE and everything that surrounds it. The fact of the matter is the general motocross community doesn't ride anything other than the bike they currently own, and thus their opinions are not based on actual testing of various brands, bike types, etc. "My suspension is fantastic" - Joe Motocross who owns a 15 year old 2 stroke and rolls jumps on the vet track, for example.

2. Smell, sound, blah blah blah. You may say that now, but you get over it quickly. In fact, I've realized that quiet bikes allow you to concentrate more on your riding. Noise, especially super loud noise, clogs your mind. I wear ear plugs when i ride my gas bikes and it allows me to focus more and keeps my mind clear.

3. "But, i need my clutch and gears!". This is only necessary because your gas bike has an engine that produces a power curve, and you need to rev the engine and switch gears to be in the sweet spot. Goes back to my first point... people have been so used to using a clutch and shifting gears that anything else is weird. The fact is, AC electric motors (like in the Alta) produce max torque right at 0rpm, and the torque curve is so flat that no shifting or clutching is required.... you're essentially always in the right gear and in the right part of (ICE equivalent) power band. Just like a 4 stroke can bail you out of mistakes you make compared to a 2 stroke, the electric power plant does that even moreso than a 4 stroke. Oh, and you never have to worry about stalling it, either!

4. Everyone always assumes electric is slow and gutless. They think of golf karts and the like. The Alta MXR specifically is nothing like a golf kart. It has so much torque that i can wheelie on command at the extra twist of my right hand, yet its so controllable and manageable at the same time. My right hand is connected to the rear tire.

First off, every person who was skeptical before i let them ride my Alta came off the with a smile on their face and were just plain shocked at how well it performs. People just need to experience it first hand. 2 people I've let ride my bike went off and purchased an MXR of their own, both were skeptical before riding it.

Electric power is so awesome on a motocross track, dare i say PERFECT for motocross. And it's safer in the sense that you'll always be in the right "gear" and have the power to do what you want. You'll make less mistakes, and any mistakes you do make can easily be corrected.

Due to nearly 0 inertia from the powerplant, electric bikes are very nimble and don't do anything funky. On my gas bikes i'll get weird kicks and just a sense of instability at times. Now I've been striving to make my gas bikes as stable as my Alta.

The lack of noise... i'm able to ride in areas i would never think about riding in with one of my gas bike, and NOONE cares that i do it. Its really the noise that people care most about. "Out of sound, out of mind" kinda thing.

Since i don't have to think about clutching, shifting, don't have a loud engine to clog my mind, and have smooth strong power on tap, i'm able to focus on the fundamentals of riding.

In my entire riding experience of over 25 years, i've never made such large strides in my speed and skill level in a short amount of time as i have when riding my Alta. It single-handedly has improved my riding skill and, everything else aside, that in and of itself is worth it.
wrong in soo many ways, if it aint sound it's dust. Bottom line people dont like bikes or you having fun on bikes.

Sound in stadium sounds great!

Smell walked into Indy last week, sweet smell of VP...

etc........
Doddy
3/22/2019 3:46pm
Doddy wrote:
This is hilarious. If you don’t understand why, you’re a knucklehead.
I don't understand what? Want to fill me in on what is hilarious?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/22/2019 3:59pm
I've owned my Alta MXR since August 2018. I also own a '15 KX450 and a 2004 KX125. Here's my take: 1. The general motocross community...

STLSharky wrote:
wrong in soo many ways, if it aint sound it's dust. Bottom line people dont like bikes or you having fun on bikes. Sound in stadium...
wrong in soo many ways, if it aint sound it's dust. Bottom line people dont like bikes or you having fun on bikes.

Sound in stadium sounds great!

Smell walked into Indy last week, sweet smell of VP...

etc........
Dust has always been something I bring it. People try to blow it off and say you can control dust, but that would mean they'd have to water the place constantly to make sure it doesn't become an issue, especially during summer months. Places like California that won't go over well and people will still find something to bitch about. They call us ground pounders and tell us that we destroy hill sides and threaten flowers, bushes and trees when we tear up the soil.
plowboy
3/22/2019 4:16pm
Don't know if it's already been said but if someone produced an e-bike that was homolgamated and allowed to race AND they put a rider on it that kicked ass...they would sell like hot cakes. Forget sound, smell or cost...what wins on Saturday sells on Monday.
Tim507
3/22/2019 4:32pm
I'm 67 and addicted to moto.....I'm all in for E-Bikes. I started riding in the 60's when you could ride anywhere. Yes dust is an issue but judicious decision making solves that to the most part. Less Sound ='s More Ground!
BikeGuy321
3/22/2019 4:35pm
I'm not against electric MX, but if ICE bikes go away I'd rather just get an electric MTB instead. That way I can ride the thing around town, and certain local trails. Yeah, the jumps aren't as big, and the speeds are lower but there's about 5x as many places to ride, close to home.
agn5009
3/22/2019 4:56pm
At this point e-bikes are the one of the only options to save this sport in Europe. Belgium literaly has NO TRACKS AT ALL anymore (my...
At this point e-bikes are the one of the only options to save this sport in Europe. Belgium literaly has NO TRACKS AT ALL anymore (my province has 0 tracks... world champion dirtbike country btw), everything is getting closed...

Edit:
Here is an image of my part of Europe, pure sadness...
I would be moving just north or south. Looks like a crazy amount of options there. Come to Pennsylvania once. You’ll see sad.
agn5009
3/22/2019 5:04pm
I’m not opposed to E bikes. But our only real option has been Alta and those things were absolutely hideous looking. I take care of my bikes but I’ve never been the type to worry about nicks, scratches, stickers etc. But with that being said, I don’t wanna look like a dork who just bought a sweet new “motorcross” bike at the local tractor supply.
dirtmike86
3/22/2019 5:07pm
Boomslang wrote:
I'm afraid of the day I sit down to watch a race and can hear the guy to my left fart whilst listening to the guys...
I'm afraid of the day I sit down to watch a race and can hear the guy to my left fart whilst listening to the guys to my right having a conversation...and on the floor the bikes sounding like a bunch of...slot cars...

Man, its sure going to take some getting used to.
I think it's something inherent in our brains that loves the sound of a motor. Just hearing my bike makes me smile. Not saying I wouldn't love to have a E bike to go ride the hills and not have to worry about pissing people off.
Sierra Ranger
3/22/2019 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 5:21pm
I think they are the future, but damn, can they put a speaker on it like Ford does with the F-150 for a tiny bit of a real motor sound, so it doesn't sound like I'm vacuuming the floor? The sounds sucks, bad. (I'm serious, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that people dig the sound. There are all kinds of things that people like the sound of. Honda engineers- why not create a cool new sound?)
gantry25
3/22/2019 5:54pm
I think they are the future, but damn, can they put a speaker on it like Ford does with the F-150 for a tiny bit of...
I think they are the future, but damn, can they put a speaker on it like Ford does with the F-150 for a tiny bit of a real motor sound, so it doesn't sound like I'm vacuuming the floor? The sounds sucks, bad. (I'm serious, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that people dig the sound. There are all kinds of things that people like the sound of. Honda engineers- why not create a cool new sound?)
I agree completely. I will add that while electric bikes may provide for an increase in the riding population, it will be the death of professional Supercross and motocross racing. Just watch formula E for an example. I have zero interest in watching electric racing.
jemcee
3/22/2019 7:41pm
dimetime wrote:
I take then you've never actually been to either a baseball game or pro football game because they certsinly are not silent. In football you hear...
I take then you've never actually been to either a baseball game or pro football game because they certsinly are not silent.

In football you hear the grunts and groans. You hear the football being kicked. You hear adibles before the snap. It is far from silent and sound is a big part of the atmosphere.

In baseball there is the sound of the ball hitting the catchers mitt. There's the sound of the ball coming of the bat. You can tell the difference between base hit and home runs just by the sound of the ball coming off the bat. There's banter between the players. There's lot's of sound it's just not the constant drone of engines.

You guys can make all the arguments you want but the absolute lack of audible sensory immersion will definitely impact the sport negatively. Do people go to rock concerts to barely be able to hear the music or do they blast that shit at deafening levels? Huh, wonder why? Maybe struggling to hear isn't as fun as having your hair blown back.
Wait, are you suggesting that a ball hitting a mitt would be louder than 22 bikes landing off a triple? or 'clacking' through whoops?
Sure it wouldn't be anywhere near as loud as now but it would not be an 'absolute lack of audible sensory immersion' there would definitely be noise..

Also I don't think the concert analogy works cause music appeals to that sense (hearing).. Sure sound helps us appreciate mx but no one (I know at least) sits with headphones on listening to bike sounds haha

All that said I get it I love the sound of a 2 stroke on the pipe I even like the torquey growl of a current 4 stroke and I'll miss them if they go but I can see plenty of upside to an electric bike.. I've joked about it with my mates how pit boards won't be necessary anymore (jokes) and the quietness opens up trash talking opportunities haha
mikec265
3/22/2019 7:52pm

I was going to copy and paste this and change the gas bike models. My Alta has made me a better, smoother, faster rider for the same reasons. Even on my gas bikes.
I'm just jealous of you guys that can ride and improve all winter, while I'm stuck inside a snow globe half the year every year.
Stonedmason
3/22/2019 8:09pm
My only thing about electric anything is pollution. The batteries are horrible from production to disposal but most people have no idea.
3/22/2019 8:25pm
Falcon wrote:
You think MXers hate electric motorcycles? Try convincing a mountain biker than an "e-assist" pedal bike is a good thing. Holy hell, you'd think the world...
You think MXers hate electric motorcycles? Try convincing a mountain biker than an "e-assist" pedal bike is a good thing. Holy hell, you'd think the world was ending that people are riding those things on the trails.

As for me, I'm all about electric. I think the sky is the limit on mods for electric motors. I can't wait to see a Pro Circuit-modded electric race bike.
And what exactly is Pro Circuit modifying on an electric bike? Electric bikes will put the likes of Pro Circuit out of business unless Pro Circuit...
And what exactly is Pro Circuit modifying on an electric bike? Electric bikes will put the likes of Pro Circuit out of business unless Pro Circuit invents aftermarket volts. Other than software, there's nothing to modify on an electric vehicle to improve it's performance.
Still got suspension, still got clamps and a bunch of other stuff that PC and the like will make lighter, stronger, better, more pretty.
Look at RC electric cars and all the aftermarket stuff you can buy for them. Batteries, motors, drive units.
PC do more than pipes and grind cylinders and if Mitch takes on the electric market the same way he did the 4 stroke, he'll hire a top RC engineering guy to be at the front of this new market. He's probably already half way there. Dude's no dummy.

Post a reply to: Why is everyone so “against” ebikes?

The Latest