Why is everyone so “against” ebikes?

Alec138
3/22/2019 9:11am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2020 12:27am
I have been scrolling facebook and even here and on thumpertalk and see MASSIVE amounts of hate for ebikes? But why? What is the reasoning other than opinions? Zero facts on why to hate them?
|
SlasherMcGee
3/22/2019 9:13am
Our local tracks all shutdown because of noise complaints from neighbors(some miles away). I've since sold my dirt bikes.

If an affordable E-MX bike is ever released, I may be able to ride again.
kb228
3/22/2019 9:14am
I like having engine noise and a clutch. Thats why i wouldnt really buy one. I dont hate them in general. Just not the bike for ME.
mikec265
Everyone isn't against them. I like them, and my neighbors don't hate them. Some guys like chubby girls, some like anorexic girls, and I like them all.
Why. I love the sound of an engine. I love the smell of race gas and pre mix. I like the way an engine “feels”. Pretty simple really.

The Shop

Bret
3/22/2019 9:17am
Consumer resistance to certain new products has always existed and probably always will. Electric cars took a very long time to become accepted. Electric motorcycles will be the same way.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/22/2019 9:17am
Probably because they don't want to see history repeat itself. People don't want to see 4 strokes get pushed away like 2 strokes did.

I say bring them in, but as just another option. Not as the future and push for electric only. Options are a great thing. I just don't want to see anything else pushed out like 2 strokes were.
JM485
3/22/2019 9:19am
I wouldn’t put too much stock in the opinions of people on social media, it’s a vacuum of intelligence even a black hole would be envious of.
3/22/2019 9:19am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 9:26am
Expensive, short run time, need a generator to charge at the track, no engine sound or smell, no clutch or shifting. Easier to ride = more dangerous for beginners. FYI, I don't hate them, I just don't want them. I also don't believe at all that they will allow for public riding in more urban areas.
ATKpilot99
3/22/2019 9:21am
I don't hate them . I just think the sounds and smells are part of it. I'd try one given the chance but I don't see ever buying one .
ATKpilot99
3/22/2019 9:23am
Expensive, short run time, need a generator to charge at the track, no engine sound or smell, no clutch or shifting. Easier to ride = more...
Expensive, short run time, need a generator to charge at the track, no engine sound or smell, no clutch or shifting. Easier to ride = more dangerous for beginners. FYI, I don't hate them, I just don't want them. I also don't believe at all that they will allow for public riding in more urban areas.
Agreed. Many people are just against dirt bikes period. I'm not saying noise isn't an issue but they'll just find something else to complain about. They dust they kick up for instance.
3/22/2019 9:25am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 9:27am
At this point e-bikes are the one of the only options to save this sport in Europe. Belgium literaly has NO TRACKS AT ALL anymore (my province has 0 tracks... world champion dirtbike country btw), everything is getting closed...

Edit:
Here is an image of my part of Europe, pure sadness...
hellion
3/22/2019 9:26am
I don’t hate them, I don’t even know them yet. I do hope they’re not crammed down our throats with unrealistic rules making in the same way that four strokes were. I’d like to see the technology improve to the point where there are groups of people who want to race them. And then maybe they can hold a race and race against each other. In a perfect scenario these bikes will someday be as good or better and less expensive too. And that could really be a boon to the sport of motorcycling.
500guy
3/22/2019 9:26am
I like the idea of them, Electric has been suppressed for a long time but the winds of change are blowing.
3/22/2019 9:29am
hellion wrote:
I don’t hate them, I don’t even know them yet. I do hope they’re not crammed down our throats with unrealistic rules making in the same...
I don’t hate them, I don’t even know them yet. I do hope they’re not crammed down our throats with unrealistic rules making in the same way that four strokes were. I’d like to see the technology improve to the point where there are groups of people who want to race them. And then maybe they can hold a race and race against each other. In a perfect scenario these bikes will someday be as good or better and less expensive too. And that could really be a boon to the sport of motorcycling.
I agree on some points, but I don't see any way they will ever be cheaper. If they can make them cheaper, they will increase their profit margins.
Ted722
3/22/2019 9:30am
Bret wrote:
Consumer resistance to certain new products has always existed and probably always will. Electric cars took a very long time to become accepted. Electric motorcycles will...
Consumer resistance to certain new products has always existed and probably always will. Electric cars took a very long time to become accepted. Electric motorcycles will be the same way.
and Industry resistance. Would certainly turn the aftermarket and R&D on its ear initially.
3/22/2019 9:39am
At this point e-bikes are the one of the only options to save this sport in Europe. Belgium literaly has NO TRACKS AT ALL anymore (my...
At this point e-bikes are the one of the only options to save this sport in Europe. Belgium literaly has NO TRACKS AT ALL anymore (my province has 0 tracks... world champion dirtbike country btw), everything is getting closed...

Edit:
Here is an image of my part of Europe, pure sadness...
Are the little flag logos the tracks? What do the blue logos represent? How far is it to your closest track?
yz133rider
3/22/2019 9:41am
This sport is full of people who hate change on principal.
Exactly. Mention trying to improve safety and all the hardcore dont change a thing gladiators who walk uphill both ways in a blizzard thru a jungle come out in droves.
Sluggo77
3/22/2019 9:45am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 9:47am
If the sound is the only thing...Come on! I like the sound too but not at the expense of the potential to turn SX, MX and offroad racing and riding into an urban park sport. The number one drawback of this sport to me is lack of convenience. Time is limited for most people, and having to load up and drive 1-3 hours into the sticks SUCKS. What if your only in the mood, or have time for a 20 minute moto? Forget it!
They cost too much. New technology is always that way. The price always goes down in very short time. Not too mention the savings on gas, oils, filters, clutches and one and on.
The primary reason many people are against it, they hate change. Look at politics and see how nothing ever gets done. For whatever reason, a certain percentage of the population are conservative, and for no practical reason. It is just the way they are.
3/22/2019 9:46am
Are the little flag logos the tracks? What do the blue logos represent? How far is it to your closest track?
Yeah all the dots are tracks, dunno what the finish flags or "C" mean. I am lucky that i life on the border with netherlands there used to be 2 tracks within 15 minutes car drive of me (Axel & Westdorpe) but one of them got closed a few weeks ago sadly, pretty much 1 track within an hour radius now and all of them that are around the hour drive mark are in netherlands (this doesn't matter since EU has open borders u can go wherever u want without problems)
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
3/22/2019 9:46am
Im not i think they are the Future, and in the Next Hundred years there will be vintage Motocross on Gas powered bikes.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/22/2019 9:47am
Premix wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/03/22/333535/s1200_E961C602_9CB0_438C_B53F_45988B67F9AD.jpg[/img]

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
3/22/2019 9:48am
I'm afraid of the day I sit down to watch a race and can hear the guy to my left fart whilst listening to the guys to my right having a conversation...and on the floor the bikes sounding like a bunch of...slot cars...

Man, its sure going to take some getting used to.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
You think MXers hate electric motorcycles? Try convincing a mountain biker than an "e-assist" pedal bike is a good thing. Holy hell, you'd think the world was ending that people are riding those things on the trails.

As for me, I'm all about electric. I think the sky is the limit on mods for electric motors. I can't wait to see a Pro Circuit-modded electric race bike.
STLSharky
Alec138 wrote:
I have been scrolling facebook and even here and on thumpertalk and see MASSIVE amounts of hate for ebikes? But why? What is the reasoning other...
I have been scrolling facebook and even here and on thumpertalk and see MASSIVE amounts of hate for ebikes? But why? What is the reasoning other than opinions? Zero facts on why to hate them?
SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Premix
3/22/2019 9:58am
Falcon wrote:
You think MXers hate electric motorcycles? Try convincing a mountain biker than an "e-assist" pedal bike is a good thing. Holy hell, you'd think the world...
You think MXers hate electric motorcycles? Try convincing a mountain biker than an "e-assist" pedal bike is a good thing. Holy hell, you'd think the world was ending that people are riding those things on the trails.

As for me, I'm all about electric. I think the sky is the limit on mods for electric motors. I can't wait to see a Pro Circuit-modded electric race bike.
Pro circuit won’t be around to mod one since their main bread and butter isn’t included on e bikes....hard to stay afloat when the products you’re producing aren’t even on the bikes being produced.
3/22/2019 10:05am
Falcon wrote:
You think MXers hate electric motorcycles? Try convincing a mountain biker than an "e-assist" pedal bike is a good thing. Holy hell, you'd think the world...

And what exactly is Pro Circuit modifying on an electric bike? Electric bikes will put the likes of Pro Circuit out of business unless Pro Circuit invents aftermarket volts. Other than software, there's nothing to modify on an electric vehicle to improve it's performance.
mister2dt
3/22/2019 10:06am
Bret wrote:
Consumer resistance to certain new products has always existed and probably always will. Electric cars took a very long time to become accepted. Electric motorcycles will...
Ted722 wrote:
and Industry resistance. Would certainly turn the aftermarket and R&D on its ear initially.
It would flat bust over half the aftermarket industry. Not many trinkets on an E bike to swap out..

Post a reply to: Why is everyone so “against” ebikes?

The Latest