Why is Tomac the slowest at...

TXDirt
6/20/2017 7:16am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2017 9:26am
....getting up after the smallest tip overs? What's the deal with this. He had a small tip over at the second to last SX race and was dead dog slow getting going again. Pretty much cost himself the championship right there. Anderson had an almost identical washout and he remounted in a few seconds and finished on the podium still.

He has another tip over at Highpoint and again takes forever to get going again. Remounts in last place.

During Glenn Helen timed qualifying he had the smallest tip over but took at least a full minute to get going again. Then pulls into mechanics area. When I saw how long it took him to get going I knew he was in for an off day.

There is just no hustle or urgency from him when he has a small tip over. I know he doesn't have an e-start but he's not spending his time kicking the bike over. He gets up slow, picks up bike slow. Remounts slow. Kicks over slow.

Seems so strange for someone of his caliber to have such a lack of urgency during a race.
|
rmoto003
6/20/2017 7:27am
Not enough CrossFit bro
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
6/20/2017 7:29am
Probably should practice crashing and getting up faster. You know what they say practice makes perfect (/sarcasm).
TXDirt
6/20/2017 7:29am
rmoto003 wrote:
Not enough CrossFit bro
He gets up so slow it's like he is ordering a pizza. Maybe taking a nap. Whatever.
TXDirt
6/20/2017 7:30am
Probably should practice crashing and getting up faster. You know what they say practice makes perfect (/sarcasm).
He should at the very least practice doing some burpees!!

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2139th
6/20/2017 7:43am
New york no excuse. High point, he fell pretty hard and was on the downside of a pretty steep hill so it was awkward getting up fwiw.
kkawboy14
6/20/2017 7:55am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2017 7:56am
rmoto003 wrote:
Not enough CrossFit bro
TXDirt wrote:
He gets up so slow it's like he is ordering a pizza. Maybe taking a nap. Whatever.
Dude Bro you took the words right out of my mouth!

Never dial up Pizza Patron again!
Titan1
6/20/2017 8:00am
Maybe it's heart rate control? He doesn't want his heart rate to spike because he freaks out...so he remains calm, and collected...goes through his routine and gets back on the track.

And sometimes slower is faster...how many times have you seen guys trying to hurry from a tip over...stall the bike...try starting it in gear...then find neutral...finally get it started and back in the race...in the mean time their breathing becomes sporadic (holding their breath), heart rate has spiked, and they've wasted a ton of energy kicking the bike 10 times.
mxtech1
6/20/2017 8:07am
Titan1 wrote:
Maybe it's heart rate control? He doesn't want his heart rate to spike because he freaks out...so he remains calm, and collected...goes through his routine and...
Maybe it's heart rate control? He doesn't want his heart rate to spike because he freaks out...so he remains calm, and collected...goes through his routine and gets back on the track.

And sometimes slower is faster...how many times have you seen guys trying to hurry from a tip over...stall the bike...try starting it in gear...then find neutral...finally get it started and back in the race...in the mean time their breathing becomes sporadic (holding their breath), heart rate has spiked, and they've wasted a ton of energy kicking the bike 10 times.
You read my mind exactly.

I am sure they have figured out that the extra time he spends staying calm and collected is much easier to gain back over the next 30 minutes vs. if he blows his wad trying to get back up and then runs out of juice near the end of the moto.
JM485
6/20/2017 8:11am
early wrote:
New york no excuse. High point, he fell pretty hard and was on the downside of a pretty steep hill so it was awkward getting up...
New york no excuse. High point, he fell pretty hard and was on the downside of a pretty steep hill so it was awkward getting up fwiw.
That's what I was thinking, TV never does hills justice and that was a pretty awkward spot. Plus when you have 39 other maniacs on 450s flying past without so much as a chop of the throttle things probably happen pretty damn quickly for you.
FahQ
6/20/2017 8:23am
He was checking his sprocket bolts, I heard from an insider (who can get factory ECU's) that he is pretty OCD when it comes to that. I also heard that during practice he wears a shock collar, if he even looks at his sprocket....wham 50k volts to tha Adam's apple!
TXDirt
6/20/2017 8:25am
Titan1 wrote:
Maybe it's heart rate control? He doesn't want his heart rate to spike because he freaks out...so he remains calm, and collected...goes through his routine and...

Good point. Didn't really ever consider it from that perspective. Not sure that is why he always gets up so slow but that could certainly be a valid reason. Because these tip overs are so small I'm not sure the energy preserved is offsetting the points he loses by getting up slow and being buried behind even more riders. Yes, his crash at HighPoint was semi awkward because of location but he didn't even attempt to remount until every rider had already gone by. He just stood there holding the bike.
6/20/2017 8:34am
Even Reed remounted faster after the chadapult.

All jokes aside though, he is pretty slow at getting up. But if it works for him it works.
Ted722
6/20/2017 8:39am
His mechanics have been in "heart-rate monitor" mode too this year. At least the whole team's on the same page.
fullfloater
Fantasy
14th
6/20/2017 8:48am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2017 8:51am
He sure got up quick and ran off the track at Colorado when he blew his shoulders out. Don't want to do that again! Smile

^^good one ted 722. that front brake snip sure was sloth-like
kage173
6/20/2017 9:08am
Ted722 wrote:
His mechanics have been in "heart-rate monitor" mode too this year. At least the whole team's on the same page.
lol. So true. I'm usually freaking out more than they are. I don't get it. I mean, even if they know what's wrong and can't fix it, they just look like they don't care. I know they do, but man there is just no urgency or desperation or concern about it.
gharmon
6/20/2017 9:39am
early wrote:
New york no excuse. High point, he fell pretty hard and was on the downside of a pretty steep hill so it was awkward getting up...
JM485 wrote:
That's what I was thinking, TV never does hills justice and that was a pretty awkward spot. Plus when you have 39 other maniacs on 450s...
That's what I was thinking, TV never does hills justice and that was a pretty awkward spot. Plus when you have 39 other maniacs on 450s flying past without so much as a chop of the throttle things probably happen pretty damn quickly for you.
I thought the hill was really steep and it looked like he was trying to do that last little push to upright it and I thought I caught his feet about to push out from under him. All the upper body strength and urgency in the world doesn't mean shit it your feet don't stay planted. The hill was not only rather steep looking but appeared slick to me. But i'm pretty Eli needs lessons from all of us folks sitting on the couch.
peelout
6/20/2017 11:11am
when i was racing i went through a phase where if i knew i could still win after going down, i'd hurry my ass up and get going as fast as possible. if i knew i wasn't going to win/be up front i took longer. my dad would get all over me about it and i'm not sure why i did it, but i did.

all i can say is that Eli takes his sweet ass time on the smallest of tips
6/20/2017 11:24am
He got up pretty quick at Hangtown and still won, this past weekend it looked like he went down pretty hard.

As for NJ I'm not sure, probably him knowing he screwed the pooch.
TXDirt
6/20/2017 11:32am
peelout wrote:
when i was racing i went through a phase where if i knew i could still win after going down, i'd hurry my ass up and...
when i was racing i went through a phase where if i knew i could still win after going down, i'd hurry my ass up and get going as fast as possible. if i knew i wasn't going to win/be up front i took longer. my dad would get all over me about it and i'm not sure why i did it, but i did.

all i can say is that Eli takes his sweet ass time on the smallest of tips
That's what I'm saying. He's not injured. At the GH timed practice it was barely a crash. More of a tip over. Feet never even came off the bike. I get that it's only timed qualifying but the way he acted it was as if he had just been head shot by a marine sniper. Like literally his body language was so so bizarre.

Sure, if he crashes he may not have a shot at winning that moto, but he's also going for a championship where every point counts. Perhaps someone should let him know that!!
therealVB99
6/20/2017 12:32pm
Probably that dank Colorado weed.. Medical of course.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
6/20/2017 12:58pm
Titan1 wrote:

This!
tickleme20
6/20/2017 1:01pm
TXDirt wrote:
That's what I'm saying. He's not injured. At the GH timed practice it was barely a crash. More of a tip over. Feet never even came...
That's what I'm saying. He's not injured. At the GH timed practice it was barely a crash. More of a tip over. Feet never even came off the bike. I get that it's only timed qualifying but the way he acted it was as if he had just been head shot by a marine sniper. Like literally his body language was so so bizarre.

Sure, if he crashes he may not have a shot at winning that moto, but he's also going for a championship where every point counts. Perhaps someone should let him know that!!
Don't understand it either, not only does he take forever to get back on the bike, he rides like a completely different guy. Saw him at the NY SX round and he was basically sleepwalking. Compared to how he rode during the 2nd High Point moto, which I also attended, he was an ENTIRE different person out there. When he is on, he is absolutely unreal to watch, in a way that never translates on a screen. And no, I don't think BB4 could have caught him during the last moto even if he'd tried. But it's frustrating to watch him in "slow" mode bc you know he has the potential to flip that switch and smoke absolutely everyone.
wreckitrandy
6/20/2017 1:39pm
Picking up a bike after a wreck is something I know a little about. What I keep seeing from top pro's through the years is a propensity to have their right hand on the clutch when they pick up their bike. Tomac kept his bike running after his crash. That was the good news. Being in a totally weak and awkward position and having to switch hands all the while losing positions was good news too. For the competition.
Mr. G
6/20/2017 2:42pm
RC on his feet before the bike stops crashing.
Johnny Depp
6/20/2017 2:52pm
Re-occurring concussion symptoms? I'm surprised myself that a simple front end crash has resulted in seeing stars and blacked out vision for several minutes. I don't know his history, but it is a symptom..
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
6/20/2017 3:13pm
TXDirt wrote:
He should at the very least practice doing some burpees!! [img]http://joshuaspodek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/burpees1.png[/img]
He should at the very least practice doing some burpees!!

Please tell me there is a number 8! How in the hell is he supposed to stay in the air like that?

Post a reply to: Why is Tomac the slowest at...

The Latest